Would you buy the new Lumia 950 XL Flagship , even if they had outdated hardware?

colinkiama

Oct 13, 2013
Visit site
Let's see which smartphones overheat most and perform worst Lumia 950XL (Snapdragon 810 device) or Lumia 950 (Snapdragon 808 device) from Microsoft; or Nexus 6P (Snapdragon 810 device) or Nexus 5S (Snapdragon 808 device) from Google.
Android MarshMellow vs Windows 10 Mobile devices with 808 and 810 processors.

How much you wanna bet that neither phones will overheat?

Blacklac

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site
"Average Joe Schmo doesn't know one processor from the other. Specs only matter if you are looking for them."

That is nonsense . Do you even know what you are writing . Processors are the brain of any device . The faster they become the more data are processed and apps are handled smoother .
Just for fun buy a computer with i3 and i5 and see the huge difference . Even a homeless person will tell you the big difference and his preference in a flash

Why would we compare an i3 to an i5 and assume it has anything to do with this conversation?

Posted via the Note 4/Nexus 7 (2013)/Lumia 1020/Lumia 2520

Blacklac

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site
Let's see which smartphones overheat most and perform worst Lumia 950XL (Snapdragon 810 device) or Lumia 950 (Snapdragon 808 device) from Microsoft; or Nexus 6P (Snapdragon 810 device) or Nexus 5S (Snapdragon 808 device) from Google.
Android MarshMellow vs Windows 10 Mobile devices with 808 and 810 processors.

Unless the cooling design and clock speed are identical, its not saying anything for each OS.

Blacklac

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site
How much you wanna bet that neither phones will overheat?

I'd put money on both devices (950 & 950XL) throttling when pushed (assuming clock speed isn't massively reduced). Windows Phone isn't nearly as efficient as it used to be back in WP7-7.5 days. Look at the hardware we had back then.

Gaming or extensive browsing, streaming or camera use will throttle them.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
I'd put money on both devices (950 & 950XL) throttling when pushed (assuming clock speed isn't massively reduced). Windows Phone isn't nearly as efficient as it used to be back in WP7-7.5 days. Look at the hardware we had back then.

Gaming or extensive browsing, streaming or camera use will throttle them.

That was WinCE. It could run on 256MB of RAM. I've always said 7/7.5 ran a ton faster than 8/8.1/10.

anon(631531)

Jun 23, 2013
Visit site
As I've stated in other posts, i'm not a big app user. I'm coming over to Windows with my eyes wide open. The new Nexus 6P looks tempting, but Google is still out of touch when it comes to adding an ext sd card, and changing out the battery. My Nexus 5 will give me my "rooting fix", when and if I need it, but the Lumia 950XL will be my daily driver, just as soon as I can get one. I use Windows 10 on my MacBook Pro, and I really enjoy it, so why not get a Windows phone? Just my two cents worth.:winktongue:

Mad Cabbie

Retired Ambassador
Jun 9, 2015
Visit site
Sorry gang, but I don't get all this 'outdated' this and 'outdated' that spec this, spec that. Do you actually notice this in the 'real' world. Mondays tech, is Tuesdays recycling! Antutu scores on android tech are subjective. I had a note 3, when the so called 'superior' note 4 came out. I ported a note 4 rom and ran antutu. The difference was negligable!

I know we all want windows phone to succeed, but how many potential casual buyers would worry about processor etc. You then have to deal with heat dissipation. My 930 gets pretty warm, my 640xl ( yes a slower chip) stays cool. What bothers me with heat generation is, after years of working with circuit boards, you have the potential for board warpage, solder weakening etc leading to board failure. Admittedly, this would take time, but if you are loading the soc heavily, heat could be an issue.

Finally, this mornings tech saves money on R&D, allowing for less expensive devices. Doesn't mean they are noticeably slower, it reduces bragging rights, and that is all that matters to people these days. I'd rather save a few bucks, get a device that works, does what I want, and is adequately fast, and spend the savings on my family.

Steve Adams

Banned
Nov 29, 2013
Visit site
Its just the techies way of life. Its got to be THE BEST. Well, I know for a fact the 950's will be amazing user interface devices. As mentioned before that up until the 6s, the iPhone had 1gb ram but was touted as "revolutionary" and a "flagship" device. IMO, my windows 1020 had better specs than the brand new iPhone. and I am on par with the new one. Go by user experience. not by specs.

I cannot wait to get my mitts on my 950xl. I will be ordering one unlocked as soon as that option is available.

ClaesW

Jul 18, 2014
Visit site
They dont really have outdated ware tho? Assuming they are released this year :p
So yeah, im getting me a XL, I do however wish that I could get a 64Gig memory with fingerprint... Kind of dissapointed about the lack of config options and again, the printreader...

Steve Adams

Banned
Nov 29, 2013
Visit site
You will forget all about the fingerprint scanner, which in apple is not that great. My son's broke on his about month after having it. When it did work it was sporatic and not consistant. The iris scanner will be awesome. just glance at your phone and bam, unlocked.

amcluesent

Jul 29, 2014
Visit site
Call me old-fashioned, but one of the reasons I moved from iPhone to the Lumia 930 was for the better GSM reception.

If the 950XL loses signal as easy as the iPhone etc., I won't be buying.

Blacklac

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site
I wouldn't say last years tech or this year's tech, but this/last Gen. Considering we know about new SoC months before they even arrive on a phone. The 808 and 810 are very much this Gen. There's nothing newer and won't be for months after these phones release. An SD805 would be last Gen and upsetting, unless it was priced accordingly...

It's hard to grasp the concept of this being old or outdated hardware when there's nothing newer and won't be for months...

Posted via Note 4/Nexus 7 (2013)/Lumia 1020/ Lumia 2520

travisel

Sep 9, 2012
Visit site
I wouldn't say last years tech or this year's tech, but this/last Gen. Considering we know about new SoC months before they even arrive on a phone. The 808 and 810 are very much this Gen. There's nothing newer and won't be for months after these phones release. An SD805 would be last Gen and upsetting, unless it was priced accordingly...

It's hard to grasp the concept of this being old or outdated hardware when there's nothing newer and won't be for months...

Posted via Note 4/Nexus 7 (2013)/Lumia 1020/ Lumia 2520

Wasn't the Snapdragon 805 supposed too be in the first specs' of the Lumia 940 before they desire 64-bit S808 &S810?

My bet is August 2016 if you want new Lumia 960 & 960 XL with S820 & Win10.1 Mobile "Redstone" in it! Oh and don't forget about increasing the RAM count with most 2016 phones coming with 4GB to 6GB of RAM not that Win10 Mobile needs it just saying.

Steve Adams

Banned
Nov 29, 2013
Visit site
Call me old-fashioned, but one of the reasons I moved from iPhone to the Lumia 930 was for the better GSM reception.

If the 950XL loses signal as easy as the iPhone etc., I won't be buying.

that is the reason I bought the 1020 too. Better call quality than any other phone. I would say that the new ones have just as good. They are not going to screw with that.

Sam Weiner

Mar 27, 2013
Visit site
Next gen phones from MS is not Lumia but Surface phones and will land in first half of 2016.Surface team are already top notch with their products with no leaks etc. Lumia 950XL and Lumia 950 are not meant to break records but to fill the flag ship gap.

tommybrrr

Aug 18, 2013
Visit site
Most people forget that WP8/WP10 needs much less CPU power and memory due to the OS architecture compared to Android. It's more like IOS... Look at Apples "outdated" IPhones 6s hardware ;)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99