Would you buy the new Lumia 950 XL Flagship , even if they had outdated hardware?

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Most people forget that WP8/WP10 needs much less CPU power and memory due to the OS architecture compared to Android. It's more like IOS... Look at Apples "outdated" IPhones 6s hardware ;)

That argument used to hold water until devices like the 1520 and Ativ SE came out with good CPUs and 2 gigs of RAM. There is no such thing as having too much horsepower.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OutlawFirebird

Nov 24, 2012
Visit site
That argument used to hold water until devices like the 1520 and Ativ SE came out with good CPUs and 2 gigs of RAM. There is no such thing as having too much horsepower.

Not true, there needs to be a balance overall, no need for a lot of power if it is not going to be used. Saw this when they first started releasing androids with quad cores, they had them but they were not any faster than the duo cores, cause nothing was designed for them. And you need to balance what the operating system needs, and how much battery everything needs. And I think that windows offers the best overall. Great o/s that does not need alot of power and still runs extremely smooth. And just as fast as the latest android or iphone. But that is just my opinion.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Not true, there needs to be a balance overall, no need for a lot of power if it is not going to be used. Saw this when they first started releasing androids with quad cores, they had them but they were not any faster than the duo cores, cause nothing was designed for them. And you need to balance what the operating system needs, and how much battery everything needs. And I think that windows offers the best overall. Great o/s that does not need alot of power and still runs extremely smooth. And just as fast as the latest android or iphone. But that is just my opinion.

I agree that WP doesn't need it per se, but on a high-end device like the ones I mentioned you see the difference. A 1520 or SE makes WP a lot more enjoyable than say a 520. Not necessarily faster, but worlds smoother.

Blacklac

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site

Could you please tell me the down side of having a device that is unnecessarily powerful?? Lol

I wouldn't even classify these phones that way, anyways. The SD800 phones were as powerful as they needed. I own a 1020 and I owned a 1520 before. The 1520 was definitely a faster, smoother device. The SoC wasn't wasted.

WP is getting less and less efficient. The power is needed now. This isn't WP7/7.5 anymore.

Posted via the Note 4/Nexus 7 (2013)/Lumia 1020/Lumia 2520

OutlawFirebird

Nov 24, 2012
Visit site
So why to people think these are outdated specs? They seem just fine to me. These phones will probably we just as good if not better than whatever iphone or android phone is out at the time. Remember its how the power is used not necessary having the most power. Just cause said phone has a faster chip, doesn't mean the phone will be faster than one with a bit lower specs. Seen this with android phones, that claim to have the best parts inside, but still don't load up or run as smoothly as other phones do.

Dec 28, 2013
Visit site
So why to people think these are outdated specs? They seem just fine to me. These phones will probably we just as good if not better than whatever iphone or android phone is out at the time. Remember its how the power is used not necessary having the most power. Just cause said phone has a faster chip, doesn't mean the phone will be faster than one with a bit lower specs. Seen this with android phones, that claim to have the best parts inside, but still don't load up or run as smoothly as other phones do.

I think it's great and it wouldn't be like the outdated 1020 hardware. On WP 8 hmm, extremely smooth. On WP 8.1, a bit buggy. On the W10M, meh, cannot really supported the future software. I know thi is only the preview, but on the 930, it's seems to run fine.

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android

Blacklac

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site
SD810 is inefficient and generates a lot of heat. The more heat, the more battery power is wasted.

And my 1020 is the hottest device I've ever used. I can kill that battery if a few hours if i wanted. Heat doesn't prove your point, here.

Knocking the 810 for heat is cherry picking, anyways. We all know it didn't turn out as expected.

I have a feeling you're also completely ignoring some large factors. 1. Old devices used more efficient software. WP just isn't as efficient as it was, its not even close, really. 2. Less powerful devices are pushing WAY less pixels. Make an SD410 push a 1440p device and you'll see how awful the performance and battery life is. In the flip side, you take a device with an SD810 and give it a 720p display and it will last 2-3 days between charges.

Newer SoC's are nearly always more efficient. You just have to account for all the factors.

Posted via the Note 4/Nexus 7 (2013)/Lumia 1020/Lumia 2520

tommybrrr

Aug 18, 2013
Visit site
These new devices have liquid cooled CPUs. We don't know it's a problem anymore.

This will hopefully solve the throttling issue, but won't solve the original issue, too much heat, too much leakage (increases with heat). The battery life seems equivalent to a 930 and that's not really progress :(

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
This will hopefully solve the throttling issue, but won't solve the original issue, too much heat, too much leakage (increases with heat). The battery life seems equivalent to a 930 and that's not really progress :(
Sure it is. You're pushing more pixels across a larger display, a more powerful GPU and more RAM. If my truck can have more towing capacity, more horsepower and more accessories while maintaining the same fuel economy that's a win-win. Rule #1 about physics: Nature's a mother, you don't get something for nothing. That's also the reason there will NEVER be a perpetual motion machine.

tommybrrr

Aug 18, 2013
Visit site
Sure it is. You're pushing more pixels across a larger display, a more powerful GPU and more RAM. If my truck can have more towing capacity, more horsepower and more accessories while maintaining the same fuel economy that's a win-win. Rule #1 about physics: Nature's a mother, you don't get something for nothing. That's also the reason there will NEVER be a perpetual motion machine.

Right, but a larger battery and a smaller manufacturing process + increased IPC should give some improvements in battery life as well. I'm still very impressed what Apple can do with the 6s and it's "simple" dual core SoC, smaller battery, more performance = same battery life as the 6.

Blacklac

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site
Right, but a larger battery and a smaller manufacturing process + increased IPC should give some improvements in battery life as well. I'm still very impressed what Apple can do with the 6s and it's "simple" dual core SoC, smaller battery, more performance = same battery life as the 6.

You can see those differences cause Apple rarely increases resolution in any meaningful way. If WP and Android flagship devices were still 720p and 1080p, you'd see all those same benefits with better battery life as well. That and we know iOS9 was massively rewritten to enhance performance and battery and it also added low power mode options.

But honestly, comparing iOS and Android on anything performance related is fairly meaningless cause they are so different.

I would love to see an SD820 on an iPhone or an A9 on an Android device. Then we'd really see who owns the performance area. I'd put money on an A9 running Android terribly and an SD820 running iOS without breaking a sweat.

Posted via Note 4/Nexus 7 (2013)/Lumia 1020/ Lumia 2520

tommybrrr

Aug 18, 2013
Visit site
You can see those differences cause Apple ra

But honestly, comparing iOS and Android on anything performance related is fairly meaningless cause they are so different.

Posted via Note 4/Nexus 7 (2013)/Lumia 1020/ Lumia 2520

I was talking about IOS and WP8/10. Android is performance efficiency wise a bad joke and not in the same league as the two other OS.

tommybrrr

Aug 18, 2013
Visit site
FYI, I may still buy one next year when WP10 becomes more mature, but I also think in Q2 2016 we may see some new Lumia flagship devices, maybe with Intel SoCs .

aitt

Jan 23, 2013
Visit site
I think it's ironic you bring up the Nexus when guess what, the Nexus 6p was just released with the 810.

* gasp *

SMH

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99