12-14-2015 11:04 AM
281 ... 89101112
tools
    Well that makes sense then. It's pretty uncommon in my industry to get an employer provided phone, so I didn't think of that. I had one once, but I didn't like the phone they gave me (I was actually using an iPhone then), so I just set it up to permanently forward to my personal. So, like you said, it wasn't a benefit at all because I never used their phone.
    The nice thing is that they let you choose what ever phone you want as long as it is on and sold by ATT. I have brought many coworkers and employees over from iPhones. :) Doing my part! lol
    10-28-2015 02:06 PM
    The nice thing is that they let you choose what ever phone you want as long as it is on and sold by ATT. I have brought many coworkers and employees over from iPhones. :) Doing my part! lol
    Nice perk - wish I had it. The just handed some old phone, and I said - yeah, no thanks, and set up autoforward.
    cheesemoo likes this.
    10-28-2015 02:15 PM
    You know if this applies to you, or you really should...

[WARN]Let's play nice or the ball will get locked away.[/WARN]

Stick to discussing the topic, not each other, K?
    10-28-2015 03:23 PM
    TY Mod.. :)
    Last edited by Captpt; 10-28-2015 at 05:41 PM.
    10-28-2015 05:28 PM
    Hate to say it but Windows phone for the general public is a joke. At this point, Windows phone is unimportant and Microsoft obviously has no interest in gaining any market share, at least in the United States. They make it way too difficult for the average person to get the latest phone. It's been nearly a month since the launch of Microsoft's latest and greatest "flagships" and it's still somewhat of a mystery whether the only carrier that is carrying these is actually going to carry both phones. I get that you can get an unlocked version at the Microsoft store but the average person doesn't get their phone this way so this severely limits sales. This is over and above the limitations that the new phones won't work on Verizon or Sprint and the continued lack of Apps as compared to Apple and Android.
    Last edited by Rick2340; 10-30-2015 at 11:36 AM.
    psiu_glen likes this.
    10-30-2015 10:38 AM
    I see the 950 is finally listed on AT&T's site as "Coming Soon".

No 950XL (yet) though...

https://www.att.com/cellphones/micro...sku=sku7760237
    sleeve22 likes this.
    10-30-2015 01:50 PM
    It's been nearly a month since the launch of Microsoft's latest and greatest "flagships" and it's still somewhat of a mystery whether the only carrier that is carrying these is actually going to carry both phones.
    Announced. Not launched. Impatience is not a virtue.
    RumoredNow, ashram and libra89 like this.
    10-30-2015 04:24 PM
    Hate to say it but Windows phone for the general public is a joke. At this point, Windows phone is unimportant and Microsoft obviously has no interest in gaining any market share, at least in the United States. They make it way too difficult for the average person to get the latest phone. It's been nearly a month since the launch of Microsoft's latest and greatest "flagships" and it's still somewhat of a mystery whether the only carrier that is carrying these is actually going to carry both phones. I get that you can get an unlocked version at the Microsoft store but the average person doesn't get their phone this way so this severely limits sales. This is over and above the limitations that the new phones won't work on Verizon or Sprint and the continued lack of Apps as compared to Apple and Android.
    I think MS has more or less given up on making phones, but is doing so in a gradual manner. They might be thinking it's best to do what they have always done, stick to making OS and apps, and let others deal with the hardware. The Surface line is successful so I think they'll persist with that, but the 950s etc. seem like a token effort while they figure out a plan. Maybe they'll do something with companies like Samsung and HTC, but in the meantime I think these things are just placeholders to keep WP in development.
    sleeve22 likes this.
    10-30-2015 05:12 PM
    If what you guys are saying is true why did they put so much time,energy & money into building the 950 & 950XL instead of just releasing new mid-range phones or releasing a upgraded 1520??
    I mean the 950/950XL to me were built to compete head to head with iPhone 6, Galaxy 6, LG V10 and Nexus 6.. I would think it cost them a ton of money in just R&D to put together a phone as powerful as they're going to be without sacrificing letting owners the ability to add SD cards and swap out batteries which Galaxy phone users are quite disappointed in..
    But this is just my opinion..
    10-30-2015 08:43 PM
    <snip> the ability to add SD cards and swap out batteries <snip>
    I used to use these two things as decision makers.Since I bought a Nexus 4 three years ago, I have not had either feature (other than short spurts with other phones). And, I found that I do not miss them at all. Today I wouldn't pay a nickel for either feature.

I did purchase the 64GB version of the Nexus 6 last year, which costs a bit more. But SD cards are not free either, and built in storage is definitely more dependable! There are plenty of issues with SD cards, especially if you install apps on them.

I think these are some of those features that a few people see as important, and assume that everyone else does too. How many users even use SD cards or remove the batteries? I would wager that it's a relatively small number. I seriously doubt whether these features make a noticeable impact on device sales. If they did, the manufacturers would put them in.
    10-30-2015 11:05 PM
    I would never have thought nobody cares about these features anymore?? I've always kept all my photos, music, contacts and docs on my sd card due to the fact that when i get a new phone I just pop the card out and plop it in the new one and everything is there, not to mention if the phone has a compete failure I lose nothing. Always thought this was a huge drawback to the iPhone, you had to constantly back these things up with iTunes... The battery, I/we vacation a lot and always have a spare for those days when I'm using GPS, photo sharing, streaming music and video and so on which drains the battery quicker then normal, instead of needing to find a outlet/charger I just swap out batteries a keep moving..
    Just didn't realize I've become so old school already lol..
    Even if put those two no longer needed/cared about features aside, still doesn't make sense they'd put so much into developing these 2 new "flagships" if they are gradually pulling out of the smartphone game?? I'll take it a step further, I hear the shots at the "mythical" Surface phone but I can honestly see a Surface phone in the future with a stylus of course to complete The Surface line; Surface Pro tablet, Surface Book & Surface Phone.. No?? ;)
    10-31-2015 12:12 AM
    I used to use these two things as decision makers.Since I bought a Nexus 4 three years ago, I have not had either feature (other than short spurts with other phones). And, I found that I do not miss them at all. Today I wouldn't pay a nickel for either feature.

I did purchase the 64GB version of the Nexus 6 last year, which costs a bit more. But SD cards are not free either, and built in storage is definitely more dependable! There are plenty of issues with SD cards, especially if you install apps on them.

I think these are some of those features that a few people see as important, and assume that everyone else does too. How many users even use SD cards or remove the batteries? I would wager that it's a relatively small number. I seriously doubt whether these features make a noticeable impact on device sales. If they did, the manufacturers would put them in.
    They have always been important to me. The swappable battery I can live without, but not the ext. sd card. You can buy a 128gb sd card for about $40.00 on TigerDirect or Newegg. That's a lot cheaper than paying for the upgraded phone. Photos, ringtones, music, and contacts w/ special ringtones are easily stored on the ext. sd card, and maybe some battery draining apps, too. Pop that puppy into your next new phone, and you're good to go. I wouldn't buy a phone today, without that capability.
    10-31-2015 01:14 PM
    Well I had already decided that SD card, QI, and replaceable battery were a requirement for my next phone. To me, flagship means more features not less.
    11-01-2015 11:28 AM
    Just to put my 2 cents in with a grain of salt but I just spoke to at&t customer service and they said both the 950 and xl would be available mid November. Seriously thinking about switching from Verizon to at&t for it.
    fpostrow and kwright62 like this.
    11-01-2015 11:13 PM
    I think MS has more or less given up on making phones, but is doing so in a gradual manner. They might be thinking it's best to do what they have always done, stick to making OS and apps, and let others deal with the hardware. The Surface line is successful so I think they'll persist with that, but the 950s etc. seem like a token effort while they figure out a plan. Maybe they'll do something with companies like Samsung and HTC, but in the meantime I think these things are just placeholders to keep WP in development.
    There is no way that Satya Nadella's "Cloud First, MOBILE First strategy" will survive with "NO smartphones"! I can hardly wait for the "Surface Phone" as I have a Lumia Icon that is my daily driver until that time - probably a year from now!

I also firmly believe that Samsung will "deliver a FOLDABLE smartphone device" in the next 6 months and the "we are in a whole NEW ballgame" as that's how I believe that Microsoft *** will disrupt this category ***! Just READ al of the recent Microsoft PR about what Satya Nadella IS SAYING !!!

Add to that that ALL "device strategy" IS NOW under the "Surface Book magician" named Panos Panay !!!!!!!!!
    kwright62 likes this.
    11-02-2015 01:26 PM
    I say make the switch if that's the phone you want. Carrier loyalty is bogus. I've switched from Verizon to Sprint to AT&T and in this day and age they are all equally good/bad/wonderful/terrible.
    RumoredNow and geekladyemjay like this.
    11-03-2015 01:37 PM
    Well it's always funny how you talk to one person and they say one thing. Then you talk to another person and get a whole different answer. I talked to at&t again and this time the person told me the 950 xl would be out in January.
    11-07-2015 02:24 AM
    Well it's always funny how you talk to one person and they say one thing. Then you talk to another person and get a whole different answer. I talked to at&t again and this time the person told me the 950 xl would be out in January.
    lol, CS reps are nonsense, unfortunately.
    11-07-2015 02:56 AM
    I for one will not be waiting until January, I'll grab one soon as MS Store releases them..
    geekladyemjay likes this.
    11-07-2015 07:44 AM
    1520 is fine w my Band2 until a surface phone comes out. I don't need Continuum and there are no other compelling features, no tap to pay and I couldn't care less about iris scanning...
    pakmul likes this.
    11-07-2015 07:50 AM
    I just wanted to squash some things. You guys have mostly come to the right conclusion on pricing with AT&T. A couple things I would like to add is that not everyone, even in a good credit situation, can afford to buy a phone outright. Even the 640XL is just out of reach for a normal phone buyer. AT&T does more for its customers by way of options than anyone else. Take Samsung exclusives for example. AT&T actually has to fight to get Samsung to bring these to the US. There are lots of phones on AT&T that you almost never heard of. AT&T just had a big marketing reset yesterday. Go look at that nice shiny Windows Phone support on the walls. They always have a wp on their collateral. Next is NEXT. AT&T premiered their financing plans with not one but two different plans. Now there is the even cooler NEXT 24 that is spread over 30 months. Eeeeeeeven cooler, there is now NEXT 12 w/down payment where you pay 30% down and spread the rest over 28 months, which makes the monthly about 60% of the NEXT 18 plan.
    11-07-2015 09:25 AM
    Also my experience... I am the manager of an AT&T store.
    RumoredNow and Ed Boland like this.
    11-07-2015 09:26 AM
    Wish you were the manager at the local AT&T Store I frequent.. I stopped in there the other day to see if the 950 or 950 XL was released or info on them and just got a weird look like I had two heads from the rep and told they have no idea.. Then I went looking for the Windows phones and off in the far left corner there was a Promotional sign for Windows Phones and under it was a small display with one 640XL and 3 empty display phone holders, looked pretty pathetic to say the least, my guess is they sell 0 Windows phones..
    Honestly I felt like the proverbial red-headed stepchild being even interested in Windows Phones..
    11-07-2015 11:57 AM
    If you want the phone, go buy the phone. Half of you, or more, are up to your eyeballs with credit and student loan debt im guessing. Youll whip out the CC for a new TV but having to buy a phone outright is outrageous... wow.
    920Walker likes this.
    11-07-2015 12:27 PM
    I just wanted to squash some things. You guys have mostly come to the right conclusion on pricing with AT&T. A couple things I would like to add is that not everyone, even in a good credit situation, can afford to buy a phone outright.

Next is NEXT. AT&T premiered their financing plans with not one but two different plans. Now there is the even cooler NEXT 24 that is spread over 30 months. Eeeeeeeven cooler, there is now NEXT 12 w/down payment where you pay 30% down and spread the rest over 28 months, which makes the monthly about 60% of the NEXT 18 plan.
    If you want the phone, go buy the phone. Half of you, or more, are up to your eyeballs with credit and student loan debt im guessing. Youll whip out the CC for a new TV but having to buy a phone outright is outrageous... wow.
    What a surprise. An AT&T employee wants to sell a more expensive phone and AT&T is happy to pile on the debt. Nothing wrong with that if people will go for it.

But there is an alternative to going into debt because you can't afford to pay for a 950XL up front. Its called buying a phone you can afford, like an AT&T Lumia 640 for $59. Do something like that, and it won't be long before you can save enough to buy a more expensive phone. Unnecessary debt is something to avoid, not be grateful for the opportunity.
    11-07-2015 12:39 PM
281 ... 89101112