12-14-2015 10:04 AM
281 1234 ...
tools
    I'm sorry for off-topic, but wow you guys in the US sure are getting shafted with those prices! Here in Sweden where I live you can get a plan from one of the big carriers with 20gb for the equivalent of $35. Pretty much all plans with all carriers are unlimited calls/text, you only choose how much data you want. These prices are without a phone, you can add a phone with a added monthly cost with pretty much all carriers, but it's often just cheaper to buy a phone from somewhere else than straight from the carrier. All big electronics stores and on-line retailers compete for business so they almost always have financing plans with 0% interest for 6-12 months, if you don't wanna pay upfront for a phone.
    Business model is a lot different here in the states than everywhere else. Take as much as you can and giving as little as you can get away with is what most companies are about. E.g. Walmart, carriers, health care, you name it. And if you complain at the price, something is wrong with your respect for the way they choose to do business and you are roundly criticized for blaming the issue on those holding all the cards. That is the "ism" part of capital and it is where companies in business lives. See what happening in Puerto Rico and Greece? The part where people don't matter, that's the ism part of capital at work. Things like carrier plans elsewhere always seem to put people first. Not sure if that's exactly the same everywhere other than here in the states, but it seems that way. I hear Canada allows you to truly own your phone and you can purchase it from one carrier and use it on another.
    pjm1891, RumoredNow and Al4video like this.
    07-25-2015 09:18 AM
    I'm now getting dropped calls, people are unable to ring me the majority of the time. Cortana/Bluetooth is broken and phone randomly reboots
    07-25-2015 09:27 AM
    Story time!
    Jazmac likes this.
    07-25-2015 09:32 AM
    STORY TIME!
    Microsoft finally realizes that offering phones to carriers with an exclusive deal attached is stupid, so instead they try a newer path! Now, Microsoft will sell phones directly to all of you lovely people so you can choose your phone AND your carrier! HURRAY!
    OPINION TIME!
    Microsoft's real plan should be to do the best they can for the US, but to really focus on the rest of the world. Offer all of their phones directly to the people and on the carriers. Build up market share in other countries and continents (especially Europe) then let the US carriers realize they actually did want those phones.
    07-25-2015 09:36 AM
    Even if they offer them unlocked, this still is going to hurt. How many are going to spend over $600 for a phone when they can get an android or iPhone for a fraction of that through ATT? I love Windows phone but I may seriously have to leave it behind. I'm not paying that much for a phone. So once I'm sick of my 1520, I may have to ditch WP if ATT isn't getting a flagship
    You seem to be comparing apples and oranges. Yes, you can buy all kinds of phones "for a fraction of that" from all carriers and manufacturers and OS's. If you want a flagship phone, it will cost more on every carrier. Don't confuse the low initial cost of a phone, when buying it "on contract over time" with the real cost of the phone. It's not magic. Flagship apple phones cost $650.00 +/- one time cost or $31.00 a month for 24 months plus the precious initial low cost that you favor. Do the math.
    pjm1891 and TxPepper like this.
    07-25-2015 10:01 AM
    Again, this is how AT&T used to be, but it isn't any more with the no contract plans. With the Next program, you get the phone for no money down. The only thing you have to pay at the time of purchase is the sales tax. After that, you make a monthly payment which equals the retail price of the phone divided by however many months. For example, when I got my 1520, I paid around $18 for sales tax. The retail price was $585 which I spread out over 20 monthly payments. So, my monthly payment is $29.25. I have one payment left, and then my monthly bill will be $29.25 less every month. Next isn't a very good deal if you have to trade your phone in, but if you pay it off completely before upgrading, it is essentially 0% financing.
    Jazmac likes this.
    07-25-2015 10:17 AM
    ... I am excited that MSFT seems to be gearing up to offer more phones direct to customers, I was just stating that it still doesn't make up for it not being offered, subsidized, through a carrier.
    "subsidized"? That is the carriers "marketing speak" for lending you money at high interest rates. The word "subsidized" makes it sound like the carriers are paying for a portion of your bill. It's marketing slight of hand and it works. Most people fall for it, and pay more.
    07-25-2015 10:27 AM
    "subsidized"? That is the carriers "marketing speak" for lending you money at high interest rates. The word "subsidized" makes it sound like the carriers are paying for a portion of your bill. It's marketing slight of hand and it works. Most people fall for it, and pay more.
    I love math. How do you figure high interest rate? Please to explain.
    07-25-2015 10:35 AM
    Some people, if you read through the various forums, are interested in the 950. I've seen people saying they wish they were still 4" phones. No matter what ATT/MSFT/VZW/Santa Claus/ Easter Bunny/Odin do, everyone won't be happy. I understand you are wanting a 950XL on payments. And I know people are willing to pay $500-$600 out of pocket. But our options are limited. If this is the issue that send you to android then best of luck to you sir. I can't afford to pay the $500-$600 for the XL either, and I'm not too interested in the 950. So hopefully in FEBRUARY when tax refunds are handed out I'll buy one. Till then, I'm gonna be clinging to my 1520. I may not even get the 950/XL. This thing is a tank!
    Edit: By FEBRUARY they may be offering the XL so who knows..
    Last edited by Big Papa Smurf; 07-25-2015 at 12:53 PM.
    RumoredNow likes this.
    07-25-2015 10:44 AM
    I love math. How do you figure high interest rate? Please to explain.
    I'm not gonna bother with the math but for example:
    You pay $199+tax for the OMGWTFROFFLE phone on contract. Now, you pay an EXTRA $25 /month for the next two years. When you crank out the math, you end up paying the same or more in some cases of the out of pocket to buy said phone at $500.
    (199+sales tax)+(25*24)=X where X equals the total subsidized price of the $500 phone.
    And now if you try to leave, they charge you 150-350 depending on how deep into your contract you are
    Kavu2 and troylytle like this.
    07-25-2015 10:48 AM
    You pay $199+tax for the OMGWTFROFFLE phone on contract. Now, you pay an EXTRA $25 /month for the next two years. When you crank out the math, you end up paying the same or more in some cases of the out of pocket to buy said phone at $500.
    (199+sales tax)+(25*24)=X where X equals the total subsidized price of the $500 phone.
    And now if you try to leave, they charge you 150-350 depending on how deep into your contract you are
    The OMGWTFROFFLE Phone???? Is there a release date yet???
    RumoredNow likes this.
    07-25-2015 11:27 AM
    Hypothetically, what would happen if MS brought the GSM and CDMA phones to their store and sold them on whatever network you wanted. MS has the means to finance the phone if you need and can sell outright if you want.

Now the rub, wouldn't the FCC force AT&T and all the other carriers to activate these phones?
    Technically, the 700 MHz Block C is unhindered:

C-Block Network means a network operating within Block C in the
    746-757 and 776-787 MHz bands.
    The C-Block rules provide that C-Block licensees shall not deny, limit or restrict
    the ability of their customers to use the devices and Applications of their choice on the licensees
    C-Block network, with certain exceptions.
    Verizon Wireless holds a license to operate its network on the C-Block. It
    launched its 4G LTE service using this spectrum on December 5, 2010. As required by the C-
    Block rules, Verizon Wireless has published technical standards and established a certification
    procedure for third parties to use in developing devices that will operate on the C-Block Network.
    Verizon Wireless has also published guidelines for Application developers that describe best
    practices for developing Applications that will operate on the C-Block Network.
    Verizon has already been busted for violating C-Block rules by barring tethering Apps from showing on their devices. https://www.fcc.gov/document/order-a...ay-125-million

Note the language:
    The C-Block rules provide that C-Block licensees shall not deny, limit or restrict
    the ability of their customers to use the devices and Applications of their choice on the licensees
    C-Block network, with certain exceptions.
    Shall not limit devices... If the device is capable and compliant. Verizon continues to violate the C-Block rules by not activating BYOD if it can use the 700MHz C-Block and is standards compliant.

There is precedence here to force Vzw or any carrier using C-Block to activate capable/compliant devices onto their network. Of course this is not an issue for the GSM networks. BYOD works on them just fine. Consumers affected need to raise this issue with Verizon and the FCC.
    aximtreo, libra89 and Searcher2015 like this.
    07-25-2015 11:51 AM
    The OMGWTFROFFLE Phone???? Is there a release date yet???
    There is! Second Tuesday next week on Sprint!
    aximtreo likes this.
    07-25-2015 11:58 AM
    I already explained that AT&T's Next program isn't like this. Your math is flawed. You are thinking about the time before we had no contract plans. Back then it made even less sense to buy an unlocked phone to put on AT&T because you would still be paying the same high rate as someone who got a subsidized phone.
    phirefly likes this.
    07-25-2015 12:05 PM
    There is! Second Tuesday next week on Sprint!
    I'm in line right now!
    Frank Kajtazi likes this.
    07-25-2015 12:06 PM
    So, I have a thing for Factory Unlocked phones. The advantages are huge; portability between networks and less restricted access to updates/upgrades are the main draws.

My next phone is going to be a Blu Win HD LTE. It's a dual SIM phone. I had a 1st gen Win HD and never took advantage of the dual SIM nature. That may change. I'm seriously researching and contemplating going with 2 carriers and splitting my voice and data services between the two slots. I can also swap the data only SIM between my phone and my Nokia Lumia 2520 tablet and draw data for my devices from the same well. Big advantage that, as the phone still takes calls while I'm computing on the 2520.

H2O has a plan that is $10 and the cost of a text or one minute of voice is $0.05. That's 200 minutes or texts. MMS is $0.10 and data is $0.10 a MB. I rarely use MMS and my data will be turned off on that slot anyway. I hardly make calls or send texts. Best Part? It doesn't expire for 90 days. My voice could be as low as $3.35 a month. https://www.h2owirelessnow.com/mainC...p?page=planMin

Now I just need an attractive 3-5GB data only plan and I'm set.

If I can shave down my $45/month from Straight Talk and have the coverage I need with increased flexibility, I may never go single SIM again.
    a5cent and aximtreo like this.
    07-25-2015 12:08 PM
    This is probably true, the only problem is that most people buy their phones from the carrier. I have never met anyone who has gone out of their way to buy an unlocked phone. Especially with the phone subsidies from carriers. I would love to have the 950XL, but unless MSFT has some sort of payment plan similar to Next, I will probably be stuck with the 950.
    I have never signed a contract/financed a phone in my 37 years of life. Always buy barely used, enjoy it for a while, then re-sell in mint condition to pay for my next device. Put up the initial investment and float it down the line with other devices. Easy.

​Sorry you are under the illusion that a .99 phone is actually a dollar.
    07-25-2015 12:32 PM
    I have never signed a contract/financed a phone in my 37 years of life. Always buy barely used, enjoy it for a while, then re-sell in mint condition to pay for my next device. Put up the initial investment and float it down the line with other devices. Easy.

​Sorry you are under the illusion that a .99 phone is actually a dollar.
    I'm not under any kind of impression. I understand how the pricing structure works. If you read anything else I wrote in this thread you would understand that. Hopefully you were taking your phones and putting them on a carrier other than Verizon, AT&T, or Sprint because if not, you were paying the same as me with my $.99 phone that doesn't actually cost $.99. AFAIK, AT&T has only had cheaper rates for bringing your own device within the last 2-3 years or so.
    RumoredNow likes this.
    07-25-2015 12:47 PM
    So, I have a thing for Factory Unlocked phones. The advantages are huge; portability between networks and less restricted access to updates/upgrades are the main draws.

My next phone is going to be a Blu Win HD LTE. It's a dual SIM phone. I had a 1st gen Win HD and never took advantage of the dual SIM nature. That may change. I'm seriously researching and contemplating going with 2 carriers and splitting my voice and data services between the two slots. I can also swap the data only SIM between my phone and my Nokia Lumia 2520 tablet and draw data for my devices from the same well. Big advantage that, as the phone still takes calls while I'm computing on the 2520.

H2O has a plan that is $10 and the cost of a text or one minute of voice is $0.05. That's 200 minutes or texts. MMS is $0.10 and data is $0.10 a MB. I rarely use MMS and my data will be turned off on that slot anyway. I hardly make calls or send texts. Best Part? It doesn't expire for 90 days. My voice could be as low as $3.35 a month. https://www.h2owirelessnow.com/mainC...p?page=planMin

Now I just need an attractive 3-5GB data only plan and I'm set.

If I can shave down my $45/month from Straight Talk and have the coverage I need with increased flexibility, I may never go single SIM again.
    This sounds awesome! If I do end up buying a 950XL unlocked, I'm definitely going to shop around for an MVNO to put it on to save some money.
    RumoredNow and aximtreo like this.
    07-25-2015 12:52 PM
    I already explained that AT&T's Next program isn't like this. Your math is flawed. You are thinking about the time before we had no contract plans. Back then it made even less sense to buy an unlocked phone to put on AT&T because you would still be paying the same high rate as someone who got a subsidized phone.
    I didn't say NEXT. I said 2 year contract.
    The next plan is similar (and a better deal compared to the fossil 2 year contracts imo). BUT, if you fail to read the print (as a family member of mine did) if you trade the phone is before its paid off, you don't get to keep the phone. Now if you don't want it or pay it off in 2 years (which sounds familiar) then more power to you.
    I'm not here to say who's right and wrong. But if you prefer to go with a NEXT plan or you pay full price for an unlocked phone, then YOU did was best for YOUR wallet. I'm not a fan of anything that says "2 years or GTFO" but to each his own.
    Like I said, there's a 90% chance I'll be rocking my stone age 1520 right into 2016. That, my friend(?) is MY choice because it works for ME.
    07-25-2015 12:53 PM
    I didn't say NEXT. I said 2 year contract.
    Yea, I noticed. But really the only people that are getting contracts anymore (I hope anyway) are those who don't have the credit to qualify for one of the no contract plans. But, I guess your point would stand for those people then, they are getting shafted even worse than everyone else. But, I was never talking about contracted plans, when I said subsidies, I meant being able to split the cost over 20 months. I guess I worded it incorrectly.
    07-25-2015 12:56 PM
    Yea, I noticed. But really the only people that are getting contracts anymore (I hope anyway) are those who don't have the credit to qualify for one of the no contract plans. But, I guess your point would stand for those people then, they are getting shafted even worse than everyone else. But, I was never talking about contracted plans, when I said subsidies, I meant being able to split the cost over 20 months. I guess I worded it incorrectly.
    I may have read it wrong. I have been known to do so. And I was just in a bad relationship (VZW) for the last two years. Said I'm not doing that again! It ended just in time for me to buy a couple phones for me and the wife and we hopped to ATT.
    07-25-2015 01:02 PM
    But I love math. Let me ask, the OMGWTFROFFLE phone is 200 bucks?
    07-25-2015 01:03 PM
    But I love math. Let me ask, the OMGWTFROFFLE phone is 200 bucks?
    Rumor has it, you have to sacrifice a goat then sign your soul to Satan.. But is has an 16 core processor and 32GB of RAM. But there was no mention of price... It's soon MCCLLLVLXIII
    07-25-2015 01:05 PM
    Rumor has it, you have to sacrifice a goat then sign your soul to Satan.. But is has an 16 core processor and 32GB of RAM. But there was no mention of price... It's soon™ MCCLLLVLXIII
    Hyperbole aside, you didn't answer my question. you are saying the OMGWTFROFFLE phone, using your example is 200 bucks?
    07-25-2015 01:19 PM
281 1234 ...