12-14-2015 10:04 AM
281 ... 34567 ...
tools
    AT&T used to work this way, but it doesn't anymore. At least not on the no-contract plans. It isn't cheap by any means, but it is cheaper if you bring your own phone. I currently pay $150 for two lines with 15GB shared data. Once my 1520 is paid off next week, my bill will drop to $120 a month.EDIT: This price isn't what a new customer would get. I get a $15/month employer discount and AT&T upgraded me from 10gb to 15gb for free last month. So I'm only paying the 10gb price, but getting 15gb. I'm not sure why, but I'm not questioning it until they try to start charging me for it. :-)
    hmm i don't think that's quite right the once you paid your device you lose the next discount which is 25 bucks and you pay your line of data plus voice line 40 instead of data plus line of 15.
    07-27-2015 01:52 PM
    hmm i don't think that's quite right the once you paid your device you lose the next discount which is 25 bucks and you pay your line of data plus voice line 40 instead of data plus line of 15.
    I'm 95% sure that I'm right. My wife's 1020 was paid off 2 months ago, and our bill went down by $28 a month or whatever her phone payment was. So, unless there is some sort of discount that will no longer be applied once my phone is paid off, our bill should go down again. Either way, I'll find out on next month's bill.
    07-27-2015 02:40 PM
    Hi I'm BadMojo and I always go out of my way to never purchase a carrier branded phone. Nice to meet you .
    07-27-2015 02:44 PM
    But the 950​ IS a flashship phone. Personally the XL model is too big for me. Are we talking about more ram or does the XL model have a faster processor or better camera?​
    07-27-2015 03:01 PM
    No, JPDVM2014 is correct. It doesn't make a whole lot of difference in cost anymore how you do it: buy with a 2 year contract, buy with Next, or buy outright. The advantage of buying outright is that you can buy a factory unlocked device and therefore not have the carrier restrictions. But otherwise, the total cost is roughly the same if you're using the big carriers.
    Kjetil Stokke and JPDVM2014 like this.
    07-27-2015 03:51 PM
    the regular 950 "Talkman" isn't going to cut it... not when there's the bigger, faster, 950XL out there.
    I wouldn't be so sure the 810 will be noticeably faster than an 808 equipped device. The 808 doesn't throttle nearly as bad as the 810. On benchmarks, a throttled 808 outperforms a throttled 810. On some devices, the 810 throttles after just a few seconds. Don't fall for the 810 v2.1 stuff, as supposedly every phone with an 810 has this variant, except maybe the LG Flex 2?

I would rather have the 808, from what I've read.

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android
    07-27-2015 03:57 PM
    Hey e'rybody! Before we all go off half-cocked with knee jerk reactions and comments, can we 1) do a little more research? It is a rumor after all. 2) ask one of the many knowledgeable people at WC or 3) - and my least favorite- wait and see. I'm on AT&T and I think it would be ridiculous for them NOT to sell the 950XL, but who knows.
    07-27-2015 04:54 PM
    Pretty sure Dan confirmed it wasn't coming in the comments of a blog post a while ago. But now I can't remember if he said just AT&T or all US carriers...

But, unless you are really upset about 5.2" vs 5.7" it really doesn't matter. The 808 and 810 actually trade blows once throttling is factored in.

07-27-2015 05:38 PM
    07-27-2015 05:45 PM
    I buy my phones from Best Buy who regularly offers 24-36 month 0% interest financing, using their store card. Much better deal than Next.
    07-27-2015 08:05 PM
    Yep. I hope they do that. I will buy only an unlocked version. Don't really care if it's on AT&T or not. Let it have the right bands & I am IN.
    07-27-2015 09:44 PM
    I think most people don't know they have a choice - they see a phone they buy it - and carriers advertise more.

But if they knew - think they would buy it unlocked? Would you prefer an unlocked phone - and pay the full price?

I went out of my way to buy an unlocked phone :

1) So I could switch out the sim when I travel
    2) Phone I wanted was not available by them.

European People - do you buy the phone of your choice then go to a carrier? Does it work that way?

This is probably true, the only problem is that most people buy their phones from the carrier. I have never met anyone who has gone out of their way to buy an unlocked phone. Especially with the phone subsidies from carriers. I would love to have the 950XL, but unless MSFT has some sort of payment plan similar to Next, I will probably be stuck with the 950.
    RumoredNow and aximtreo like this.
    07-27-2015 09:56 PM
    My issue is that my work pays for my phone. So that locks me into what ever ATT offers. So to get the XL I would have to purchase out right. :( That kills off a benefit from my job.
    07-28-2015 07:18 AM
    My issue is that my work pays for my phone. So that locks me into what ever ATT offers. So to get the XL I would have to purchase out right. :( That kills off a benefit from my job.
    That sucks. My wife's employer just pays her what a phone and service at AT&T would cost. She uses T-Mobile and pockets the difference. Maybe you could get a bonus for suggesting your company do that.

Or you could have some kids and give one of them the scraps AT&T offers. You just pull the SIM and put it in whatever phone you like.
    RumoredNow likes this.
    07-28-2015 07:40 AM
    I seem to be missing something. Where did this rumor start and from what sources did they originate? Either way I think AT&T customers need to relax and realize how many times this has happened to people on other carriers time and time again. As a T-Mobile customer I can't tell you how devastated I was to see the words exclusive and AT&T in the same sentence with the Lumia 900,920,1020 and 1520 and you guys got the 830 as an exclusive as well(and I could even go further with the HTC Titan and Titan 2). So please don't start whining. You have been completely spoiled and at least you would be getting one of the great flagships that's due to release and not be left without anything. If you want the 950XL so badly you'll have to get one like the rest of us had to. Find a way. I got my Samsung Focus, HTC Titan, Lumia 920(which I still have) and Lumia 1020 all through eBay.
    07-28-2015 08:41 AM
    monkey-trap-2.jpg
    Gungzwei likes this.
    07-28-2015 08:53 AM
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	monkey-trap-2.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	14.7 KB 
ID:	109400

​lmao
    07-28-2015 09:03 AM

Or you could have some kids and give one of them the scraps AT&T offers. You just pull the SIM and put it in whatever phone you like.
    Whoa whoa that's a bit extreme you think?lol 😁

07-28-2015 09:21 AM
    Whoa whoa that's a bit extreme you think?lol
    Kids! There not just for tax deductions anymore.
    07-28-2015 09:23 AM
    Kids! There not just for tax deductions anymore.
    Lmbo right.

Sent from my D6616 using Tapatalk
    07-28-2015 09:23 AM
    a 5 INCH WINDOWS MOBILE 10 SMARTPHONE is an easier device to carry around than a near 6 inch one. the next rumored Microsoft Flagship
    Smart phone to come out soon is the replacement for the 1020. It will have a full 1080p HD- 5 inch screen not a 5.7 to 6 inch screen and have a 50 megapixel Camera and I think 3 gigs of ram. This is the one I want. I'm on Verizon if they do not sell it I will buy it for the camera from AT & T and use it as a Powerful pocket camera and access the internet through it's Wifi to put other goodies on it like Apps and games and wow Music. sounds crazy but I am not the first person to do that.
    Kjetil Stokke likes this.
    07-28-2015 09:35 AM
    Thanks for posting these. Looks like it might be a good idea to wait for some performance reviews before deciding between the 950 and 950XL. Performance is my top concern. Followed closely by screen size. It would be hard to move from my 1520, but if the 950 performs more reliably, I would get used to it.
    07-28-2015 10:20 AM
    You should question it. I'm paying less for three 3 phones and a tablet sharing 15 GB data on an employer plan. I have come to the conclusion at least in the US when it comes to cellphones you get the network you pay for. Sprint and T-Mobile are cheap and despite all the money they have invested in their network, they still suck. AT&T a Verizon are a little more expensive, but the networks are far more reliable . In the end it doesn't matter how much coverage a carrier has, only if they have coverage where you need it
    07-28-2015 11:09 AM
    I haven't heard any confirmation that AT&T will carry one or both of these as yet officially unannounced phones. The truth is they probably don't want to carry the XL because these over size phones just aren't as popular as people thought they would be. Think about it. In the general population you rarely see them in general use. I have never seen a 1520 outside of an AT&T store, and only a hand full of 1320's. If anything Microsoft is screwing up loading the XL with the specs and the screen. The 950 should have the higher specs, an the XL slightly lower specs in exchange for the larger screen.
    07-28-2015 11:18 AM
    Ehh, I see tons of 6 Plus and Note devices at my work and in public. The difference between 5.7" and 6" is barely noticeable. Not that I think your point is wrong. I'd bet smaller phones sell more and Windows Phone has such small marketshare, the amount of WP phablets sold must be tiny. But I do think +5.5" devices sell very well.

I have only seen people with 5XX and 9XX series Windows Phones in person. I've never seen anyone with a 1520, besides myself. 920 was the highest end device I've seen anyone else with, actually. :/

07-28-2015 11:31 AM
281 ... 34567 ...