12-14-2015 10:04 AM
281 ... 45678 ...
tools
    Well now you have! All the way back to importing an HD2 from Australia to run on AT&T. My current Lumia 1020 was purchased off of eBay. I don't wait around for a Carrier to offer what I want. Neither should you.
    07-28-2015 02:40 PM
    AT&T is skipping the 950XL in favor of the Lumia 1050XL 50meg beast.
    07-28-2015 03:10 PM
    That is how we feel not on at&t
    07-28-2015 04:26 PM
    If they're supposed to be gsm phones and Microsoft sells them unlocked through their site, does it even matter if AT&T "carries" them?

Correct me if I'm missing something here.
    RumoredNow likes this.
    07-28-2015 04:32 PM
    If they're supposed to be gsm phones and Microsoft sells them unlocked through their site, does it even matter if AT&T "carries" them?

It doesnt matter to people like you and me, but I know a ton of people that if they walk into AT&T and it isn't there, then they aren't even going to know about it...even some that will just assume if it isn't there, that it is comparable with AT&T networks. I just think it could have an affect on over all sales with the casual buyers that dont read up on stuff like this.
    07-28-2015 04:51 PM
    For most, the answer is NO! But so far I don't think MS sells ANY Lumias unlocked in their store. My guess is that MS has relied on the carriers as first responders for problems. I can't imagine MS selling Lumia phones with no warranty, so they will need to staff for all that front line stuff the carriers do now. I don't know if they are ready to do that. I hope they are. B&H provided a 1 year warranty for my 1520.3 and I suspect they do as good a job as the carriers but most people would prefer a "factory" warranty.

So assuming MS actually does sell unlocked Lumias thru their store, the carriers may/will still only permit carrier specific apps on their own phones. An example would be T-Mobile's WiFi calling. Currently you can't have that with a BYOD. Most of those things are overhyped and not necessary for most people.
    07-28-2015 04:53 PM
    Why tie yourself to ATT? If you want to use ATT service in the US but not have to deal with them directly, Go to Cricket Wireless. Same service but better plans.
    07-28-2015 04:56 PM
    Why tie yourself to ATT? If you want to use ATT service in the US but not have to deal with them directly, Go to Cricket Wireless. Same service but better plans.
    Slower data speeds if I'm not mistaken? And did they add the unlimited calls to.mexico for $10/month?
    07-28-2015 05:54 PM
    Slower data speeds if I'm not mistaken? And did they add the unlimited calls to.mexico for $10/month?
    8mbps is decent enough for what one can do on a phone (unless you're using it to download torrents or large files)
    RumoredNow likes this.
    07-28-2015 07:00 PM
    I use to love Cricket great plans and prices....But, they had terrible call quality and reception where I live. They may be worth another look now that they are controlled by ATT, but I am already switched to ATT.
    07-28-2015 08:11 PM
    AT&T is skipping the 950XL in favor of the Lumia 1050XL 50meg beast.
    That would be highly illogical. for ATT to do. The 1050 if that's what is would be more of a niche device like the 1020 and 808 were.
    07-28-2015 08:16 PM
    I use to love Cricket great plans and prices....But, they had terrible call quality and reception where I live. They may be worth another look now that they are controlled by ATT, but I am already switched to ATT.
    Call quality and reception is exactly like AT&T since Cricket now uses AT&T's network
    RumoredNow likes this.
    07-28-2015 08:41 PM
    ... But so far I don't think MS sells ANY Lumias unlocked in their store...
    you can get an unlocked lumia 535 and 830 from the US microsoft store. Canada microsoft stores offer the 640 xl. You can also get a microsoft cares thing where you can get a replacement for your damaged device.

...An example would be T-Mobile's WiFi calling. Currently you can't have that with a BYOD. Most of those things are overhyped and not necessary for most people.
    Right. I'm on tmobile, and would appreciate the wifi calling app on my unlocked lumia 830. but, i can also just use skype. hopefully, skype becomes more full featured with win10 mobile.
    07-29-2015 05:41 PM
    Cricket Wireless has access to the ATT 4G LTE network. If you go over the plan data limit, you get throttled so maybe that's where the slower speed claims are from. On the Smart Plan you get unlimited Mexico and Canada calling and unlimited International texting for 38 countries.

Unlimited Talk & Messaging to Mexico & Canada** **Northwest Territories of Canada not included
    Make unlimited calls to landlines and mobile phones and send unlimited texts, picture and video messages from the U.S. to Mexico and Canada.

Unlimited
    International Texting
    Send unlimited text messages (MMS not included) from the U.S. to 38 countries
    Big Papa Smurf likes this.
    07-30-2015 01:53 PM
    07-30-2015 02:26 PM
    Cricket Wireless has access to the ATT 4G LTE network. If you go over the plan data limit, you get throttled so maybe that's where the slower speed claims are from. On the Smart Plan you get unlimited Mexico and Canada calling and unlimited International texting for 38 countries.

Unlimited Talk & Messaging to Mexico & Canada** **Northwest Territories of Canada not included
    Make unlimited calls to landlines and mobile phones and send unlimited texts, picture and video messages from the U.S. to Mexico and Canada.

Unlimited
    International Texting
    Send unlimited text messages (MMS not included) from the U.S. to 38 countries
    I'll check that out thanks
    07-30-2015 02:26 PM

Not all GSM phones are made equally. The radio needs to support the correct bands (frequencies) to get LTE speeds on AT&T. For example, taking T-Mobile phones to AT&T resulted in 4G speeds instead of LTE in the past. So we need to hope that Microsoft sells an unlocked version that also supports all the correct bands. Fingers crossed.
    xandros9 and Frank Kajtazi like this.
    08-19-2015 05:03 PM
    Does anyone here have Cricket Wireless and can say from first hand experience that their service is equally as good as AT&Ts? Also, when I look at their plans, I see that the Smart Plan is $50 per month. Is it really that cheap? This stuff seems a little too good to be true.
    08-19-2015 07:54 PM
    Some people have noted "international" or unlocked phones don't always get as good as battery life as phones sold from the carriers. Carrier specific connectivity optimizations I guess.

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android
    08-20-2015 08:05 AM
    Well, i'm an AT&T guy, and the 950XL "was" going to be my first windows phone. Does it pay to wait for the 1050XL? Does anyone have any specs on either phone? Thanks for any feedback.
    08-23-2015 10:41 PM
    Well, i'm an AT&T guy, and the 950XL "was" going to be my first windows phone. Does it pay to wait for the 1050XL? Does anyone have any specs on either phone? Thanks for any feedback.
    Why wouldn't you get a 950XL? You do know that you can get phones that work on AT&T at lots of places other than AT&T? Buying phones from carriers perpetuates the shenanigans the carriers play with the phones they sell (dumbed down, late or never updates, etc.). Insisting on buying your phone from your carrier is like insisting to buy your car from the gas station.
    08-24-2015 08:08 AM
    Why wouldn't you get a 950XL? You do know that you can get phones that work on AT&T at lots of places other than AT&T? Buying phones from carriers perpetuates the shenanigans the carriers play with the phones they sell (dumbed down, late or never updates, etc.). Insisting on buying your phone from your carrier is like insisting to buy your car from the gas station.
    I guess you're right. OK, so if i buy a 950XL at my MS store, i can just get a sim card from AT&T and i'm good to go? I use the AT&T Next Family Plan, but i know that i can also use phones that aren't sold there, as i run my Nexus 5 off of one of their sim cards.
    08-24-2015 08:47 AM
    I guess you're right. OK, so if i buy a 950XL at my MS store, i can just get a sim card from AT&T and i'm good to go? I use the AT&T Next Family Plan, but i know that i can also use phones that aren't sold there, as i run my Nexus 5 off of one of their sim cards.
    As long as it supports all the right network bands, you're good to go. We'll have to wait and see.

As for the 1050? What 1050? Lol. There is no new 10XX series. 950, 950XL and supposedly a Surface phone, but who knows. That's all we heard about, as of now, for high end.

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android
    grunt0300 likes this.
    08-24-2015 08:50 AM
    Does anyone here have Cricket Wireless and can say from first hand experience that their service is equally as good as AT&Ts? Also, when I look at their plans, I see that the Smart Plan is $50 per month. Is it really that cheap? This stuff seems a little too good to be true.
    08-24-2015 08:59 AM
    OK, so if i buy a 950XL at my MS store, i can just get a sim card from AT&T and i'm good to go?
    Yes. You can even use the SIM card from your previous phone if the same size. You could even reuse a smaller SIM with an adapter but personally, I wouldn't use an adapter unless I needed to move a SIM back and forth with a phone that uses a smaller SIM. I've seen sockets damaged from a SIM shifting in an adapter while inserting or removing.
    grunt0300 likes this.
    08-24-2015 09:39 AM
281 ... 45678 ...