12-14-2015 11:04 AM
281 ... 56789 ...
tools
    As long as it supports all the right network bands, you're good to go. We'll have to wait and see.
    Yes, have to wait and see if the US Microsoft stores sell one with AT&T bands but its a safe bet there will be a model with all bands even if MS doesn't sell it in their store (to avoid offending some carrier). Personally, I think MS is smarter these days and combined with wanting fewer models and variations, I suspect all 950XLs will have all bands.
    08-24-2015 10:43 AM
    I know some people think this phone is ugly but it's the only Windows phone that's gotten my interest. Here's hoping it comes to att.
    grunt0300 likes this.
    08-27-2015 12:08 AM
    Very misleading thread title. There is nothing rumored.
    08-27-2015 12:43 PM
    Very misleading thread title. There is nothing rumored.
    Actually, Daniel Rubino has said a couple of time in articles that AT&T may only get one of the devices and that Verizon may get neither.
    08-27-2015 12:45 PM
    You probably have several of those payment plans already. They are the little plastic cards in your wallet with raised numbers imprinted on them.
    The difference is that you pay interest on the "little plastic card", where as the carrier doesn't charge you interest. And, it seems to me that unlocked phones are usually more expensive. You also can't get insurance via your credit card the way you can if you get your phone from the carrier.

I would love to see MSFT actually do a "next" type program. Interest free, and the ability to get insurance, too. It might help a few people out.
    08-27-2015 07:40 PM
    I'm saying Microsoft can't afford to continue allowing the carriers to control availability.
    I agree, but I don't think MS has the power in that relationship due to the low demand for Windows Phones. If they try to tell AT&T (or TMO) "Sorry, no exclusive for you!", the carrier can turn around and tell them "Fine, we won't carry it at all", and it wouldn't hurt their bottom line one bit.
    libra89 likes this.
    08-27-2015 07:51 PM
    While this is ridiculous, with it being rumored to be GSM, we will be able to just pick one up at a Microsoft Store and go, correct?
    One question: what's the source of the rumor. Not saying I don't believe it, just wondering where it originated from.
    08-27-2015 07:59 PM
    So no flagship for Verizon and possibly the best flagship not being available for ATT.
    The rumors are Verizon is out of the WP business completely anyway, flagship or not.
    08-27-2015 08:00 PM
    Even if they offer them unlocked, this still is going to hurt. How many are going to spend over $600 for a phone when they can get an android or iPhone for a fraction of that through ATT?
    Please tell me you really understand you pay AT&T that much or more for an iPhone. Just because they don't break what you pay down to show how much is going to pay for the phone doesn't mean you aren't paying it.

and possibly the best flagship not being available for ATT..
    There is a difference between available at and available for. And past history shows AT&T customers are better off getting their phone somewhere else. Most people would prefer having the extra memory and Qi charging that AT&T stripped out of their handicapped version of 1520.
    libra89 likes this.
    08-27-2015 09:10 PM
    Will this model have 4G LTE? I think that there's a model 950XL LTE. Does anyone have a list of the cellular band numbers that are used by AT&T?
    08-27-2015 11:42 PM
    Does anyone here have Cricket Wireless and can say from first hand experience that their service is equally as good as AT&Ts? Also, when I look at their plans, I see that the Smart Plan is $50 per month. Is it really that cheap? This stuff seems a little too good to be true.
    I switched from AT&T to Cricket. At Cricket I pay $100 for 4 lines w/5gb data each per month. Call/data quality is the same as AT&T.
    08-28-2015 06:16 AM
    I have Cricket as well. $35/month (with $5 autopay discount) for 2.5GB data can't be beaten and never have connection or call quality issues. Difference in cost for comparable AT&T plan easily covers the cost of a new phone over 2 years.
    08-28-2015 01:13 PM
    I left Verizon for a Lumia 900 in 2012. I will leave AT&T if they don't offer the 950XL. I've waited too long for this phone.
    08-28-2015 10:11 PM
    They may come to all carrier and in retail store
    Frank Kajtazi likes this.
    08-28-2015 10:28 PM
    I left Verizon for a Lumia 900 in 2012. I will leave AT&T if they don't offer the 950XL. I've waited too long for this phone.
    Been said before but.... Why would you change carrier because you can't buy your phone from them? Why would anyone prefer a carrier locked phone over one that wasn't? Carriers order special versions with desirable features removed, they hold up or completely prevent updates, etc.. Be smart. Buy your phone from someone else. If I was on AT&T and they sold the phone I wanted, I sure wouldn't buy it from them.
    08-29-2015 08:19 AM
    Been said before but.... Why would you change carrier because you can't buy your phone from them? Why would anyone prefer a carrier locked phone over one that wasn't? Carriers order special versions with desirable features removed, they hold up or completely prevent updates, etc.. Be smart. Buy your phone from someone else. If I was on AT&T and they sold the phone I wanted, I sure wouldn't buy it from them.

OK, here's one possibility. You can't afford to lay out a large chunk of cash all at once, and you'd rather pay it off in monthly installments.
    08-29-2015 10:00 AM
    OK, here's one possibility. You can't afford to lay out a large chunk of cash all at once, and you'd rather pay it off in monthly installments.
    I guess some people might think a phone is a large chunk of cash. And if someone can't get a credit card, maybe they couldn't get a particular phone otherwise. But I have to say that someone who can't even get a credit card shouldn't be adding to their debt by getting a phone from a carrier. They are still committing to pay for that phone over time. But then, maybe those kinds of decisions are why some people might not be able to pay cash or have a credit card. But they would not be smart to buy an expensive phone or expensive anything else when they are living paycheck to paycheck. They should be getting a cheaper phone and investing the difference so they aren't still worrying how to buy a phone 30 years from now.
    08-29-2015 12:51 PM
    I guess some people might think a phone is a large chunk of cash. And if someone can't get a credit card, maybe they couldn't get a particular phone otherwise. But I have to say that someone who can't even get a credit card shouldn't be adding to their debt by getting a phone from a carrier. They are still committing to pay for that phone over time. But then, maybe those kinds of decisions are why some people might not be able to pay cash or have a credit card. But they would not be smart to buy an expensive phone or expensive anything else when they are living paycheck to paycheck. They should be getting a cheaper phone and investing the difference so they aren't still worrying how to buy a phone 30 years from now.

I agree. The only phone that i paid cash for is my Nexus 5. Since the sim is the same as my LG G3, i swap them out about once a month. If i have to go to MS and pay cash for that 950XL LTE, i can always sell my Nexus 5 on eBay.
    08-29-2015 01:01 PM
    I can't honestly remember the last time I bought a phone from a carrier. My job of course buys them that way but I use my own phone for work. The so-called "subsidized" phones come with the catch that you have to keep contracts for up to 2 years with a minimum service plan. Basically, it means you pay more for the phone than you would buying it outright. Of course, if the $500+ cost of a flagship phone is too much of a one time burden then the payment plan subsidy is the only way to get one - another case of THE MAN sticking it to the people. :) I know I am an outlier. I only buy unlocked phones and I always buy them outright. I expect my next purchase will be a 950xl...IF I can keep my 1520's phantom display touches from getting any worse. I am only just able to tolerate it for now.
    libra89 likes this.
    08-31-2015 03:42 PM
    The last phone I got via AT&T was the Lumia 920. I only get my phones unlocked now. First, because those carrier payment plans usually cost you more in the long run and second, because I can do perfectly fine without any crippled specs and bloatware installed by any carrier. Heck, if you buy your phone unlocked on a credit card, chances are you safe money by paying it off over the same period as your Next plan.
    09-15-2015 01:33 PM
    I hope like **** that MS doesn't give ANY carrier an exclusive on any future Lumia. Exclusive by definition means that phone can't be sold unlocked and with a warranty by Microsoft or anyone else in the same market. That is a very bad thing for consumers who then have to buy grey market models like the 1520.3. If the only way I can get a 950 is to buy a grey market phone and have the retailer provide the warranty, I am going to think long and hard about replacing my 1520.3. If I can get an unlocked 950 with manufacturer warranty in the US, I'll have one the first day. MS needs to hold the line and give no exclusives. If a carrier won't carry them that way, sell the phones directly and thru other retailers, Wal-Mart, Amazon, etc. Everyone will be better off in the long run.
    09-15-2015 02:42 PM
    My question is, where did this rumor that ATT won't carry the XL come from?
    09-28-2015 11:41 AM
    My question is, where did this rumor that ATT won't carry the XL come from?

I don't know, but I hope it's false.
    09-28-2015 12:04 PM
    Based on the latest episode of "Ask Dan" makes it sound like AT&T is the only known carrier who will be carrying the 950.
    09-28-2015 12:37 PM
    I wouldn't be surprised if they choose to not carry the 950XL because of the included Qi wireless charing, instead of having it stripped from the phone like the 1520. Apparently the Galaxy S6 has both Qi and PMA.
    09-28-2015 01:51 PM
281 ... 56789 ...