Rumored no 950XL on AT&T!

tardisintime

Oct 10, 2013
Visit site
Does anyone here have Cricket Wireless and can say from first hand experience that their service is equally as good as AT&Ts? Also, when I look at their plans, I see that the Smart Plan is $50 per month. Is it really that cheap? This stuff seems a little too good to be true.

I switched from AT&T to Cricket. At Cricket I pay $100 for 4 lines w/5gb data each per month. Call/data quality is the same as AT&T.

camaroz1985

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
I have Cricket as well. $35/month (with $5 autopay discount) for 2.5GB data can't be beaten and never have connection or call quality issues. Difference in cost for comparable AT&T plan easily covers the cost of a new phone over 2 years.

bevt

Mar 5, 2012
Visit site
I left Verizon for a Lumia 900 in 2012. I will leave AT&T if they don't offer the 950XL. I've waited too long for this phone.

HoosierDaddy

May 28, 2013
Visit site
I left Verizon for a Lumia 900 in 2012. I will leave AT&T if they don't offer the 950XL. I've waited too long for this phone.
Been said before but.... Why would you change carrier because you can't buy your phone from them? Why would anyone prefer a carrier locked phone over one that wasn't? Carriers order special versions with desirable features removed, they hold up or completely prevent updates, etc.. Be smart. Buy your phone from someone else. If I was on AT&T and they sold the phone I wanted, I sure wouldn't buy it from them.

anon(631531)

Jun 23, 2013
Visit site
Been said before but.... Why would you change carrier because you can't buy your phone from them? Why would anyone prefer a carrier locked phone over one that wasn't? Carriers order special versions with desirable features removed, they hold up or completely prevent updates, etc.. Be smart. Buy your phone from someone else. If I was on AT&T and they sold the phone I wanted, I sure wouldn't buy it from them.

OK, here's one possibility. You can't afford to lay out a large chunk of cash all at once, and you'd rather pay it off in monthly installments.:smile:

HoosierDaddy

May 28, 2013
Visit site
OK, here's one possibility. You can't afford to lay out a large chunk of cash all at once, and you'd rather pay it off in monthly installments.:smile:
I guess some people might think a phone is a large chunk of cash. And if someone can't get a credit card, maybe they couldn't get a particular phone otherwise. But I have to say that someone who can't even get a credit card shouldn't be adding to their debt by getting a phone from a carrier. They are still committing to pay for that phone over time. But then, maybe those kinds of decisions are why some people might not be able to pay cash or have a credit card. But they would not be smart to buy an expensive phone or expensive anything else when they are living paycheck to paycheck. They should be getting a cheaper phone and investing the difference so they aren't still worrying how to buy a phone 30 years from now.

anon(631531)

Jun 23, 2013
Visit site
I guess some people might think a phone is a large chunk of cash. And if someone can't get a credit card, maybe they couldn't get a particular phone otherwise. But I have to say that someone who can't even get a credit card shouldn't be adding to their debt by getting a phone from a carrier. They are still committing to pay for that phone over time. But then, maybe those kinds of decisions are why some people might not be able to pay cash or have a credit card. But they would not be smart to buy an expensive phone or expensive anything else when they are living paycheck to paycheck. They should be getting a cheaper phone and investing the difference so they aren't still worrying how to buy a phone 30 years from now.

I agree. The only phone that i paid cash for is my Nexus 5. Since the sim is the same as my LG G3, i swap them out about once a month. If i have to go to MS and pay cash for that 950XL LTE, i can always sell my Nexus 5 on eBay.:smile:

pepsicocom

Jan 30, 2014
Visit site
I can't honestly remember the last time I bought a phone from a carrier. My job of course buys them that way but I use my own phone for work. The so-called "subsidized" phones come with the catch that you have to keep contracts for up to 2 years with a minimum service plan. Basically, it means you pay more for the phone than you would buying it outright. Of course, if the $500+ cost of a flagship phone is too much of a one time burden then the payment plan subsidy is the only way to get one - another case of THE MAN sticking it to the people. :) I know I am an outlier. I only buy unlocked phones and I always buy them outright. I expect my next purchase will be a 950xl...IF I can keep my 1520's phantom display touches from getting any worse. I am only just able to tolerate it for now.

leo74

Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
The last phone I got via AT&T was the Lumia 920. I only get my phones unlocked now. First, because those carrier payment plans usually cost you more in the long run and second, because I can do perfectly fine without any crippled specs and bloatware installed by any carrier. Heck, if you buy your phone unlocked on a credit card, chances are you safe money by paying it off over the same period as your Next plan.

HoosierDaddy

May 28, 2013
Visit site
I hope like **** that MS doesn't give ANY carrier an exclusive on any future Lumia. Exclusive by definition means that phone can't be sold unlocked and with a warranty by Microsoft or anyone else in the same market. That is a very bad thing for consumers who then have to buy grey market models like the 1520.3. If the only way I can get a 950 is to buy a grey market phone and have the retailer provide the warranty, I am going to think long and hard about replacing my 1520.3. If I can get an unlocked 950 with manufacturer warranty in the US, I'll have one the first day. MS needs to hold the line and give no exclusives. If a carrier won't carry them that way, sell the phones directly and thru other retailers, Wal-Mart, Amazon, etc. Everyone will be better off in the long run.

Letros

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
I wouldn't be surprised if they choose to not carry the 950XL because of the included Qi wireless charing, instead of having it stripped from the phone like the 1520. Apparently the Galaxy S6 has both Qi and PMA.

anon(631531)

Jun 23, 2013
Visit site
I wouldn't be surprised if they choose to not carry the 950XL because of the included Qi wireless charing, instead of having it stripped from the phone like the 1520. Apparently the Galaxy S6 has both Qi and PMA.

If AT&T doesn't carry the 950XL, then I'll buy it at the MS store and put an AT&T sim into it. No problemo.:winktongue:

wpfan86

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
They carried the 830 and kept the qi charging.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site

I'm not 100% sure about the S6, but a colleague of mine has an AT&T S6 Active, and it has Qi charging (I believe it has PMI as well). Evidently Samsung is a big enough player to have some clout with AT&T.

KickAssLumia

Sep 3, 2013
Visit site
That is because it never made a difference in the plan price per month back then. Right now, with a byod/out of contract device, you get a significan enough discount on the monthly price to justify a deice purchase outright.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chuffster