Rumored no 950XL on AT&T!

aximtreo

Jul 14, 2008
Visit site
re: Rumored no 950XL on AT&T!

Hypothetically, what would happen if MS brought the GSM and CDMA phones to their store and sold them on whatever network you wanted. MS has the means to finance the phone if you need and can sell outright if you want.

Now the rub, wouldn't the FCC force AT&T and all the other carriers to activate these phones?

Couldn't MS sell their phones using the MVNO suppliers such as Straight Talk etc. I would definitely buy the 940 XL from MS if I knew Straight Talk would activate it on Verizon or any of the GSM carriers.

Just a thought about a possible way around the carriers not carrying the full line of MS phones.

Joe Acerbic

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site

Now the rub, wouldn't the FCC force AT&T and all the other carriers to activate these phones?
An unlocked GSM phone doesn't need to be activated in any other way than putting a SIM card in it, unless a donkeyhole carrier actively blocks it.

DaveGx

Nov 5, 2011
Visit site

Even if they offer them unlocked, this still is going to hurt. How many are going to spend over $600 for a phone when they can get an android or iPhone for a fraction of that through ATT? I love Windows phone but I may seriously have to leave it behind. I'm not paying that much for a phone. So once I'm sick of my 1520, I may have to ditch WP if ATT isn't getting a flagship

aximtreo

Jul 14, 2008
Visit site

An unlocked GSM phone doesn't need to be activated in any other way than putting a SIM card in it, unless a donkeyhole carrier actively blocks it.

So, it MS decides to sell the 950XL on their site and you are an AT&T user, I could just pop in the SIM card. thanks for that info.

DaveGx

Nov 5, 2011
Visit site

So no flagship for Verizon and possibly the best flagship not being available for ATT. The two most popular carriers in the US. Hate to say it but this really is bad news for WP's future. Locked phones available or not, many are not going to spend $600 for a phone. And this is not going to bring in new people.

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site

I'm sorry for off-topic, but wow you guys in the US sure are getting shafted with those prices! Here in Sweden where I live you can get a plan from one of the big carriers with 20gb for the equivalent of $35. Pretty much all plans with all carriers are unlimited calls/text, you only choose how much data you want. These prices are without a phone, you can add a phone with a added monthly cost with pretty much all carriers, but it's often just cheaper to buy a phone from somewhere else than straight from the carrier. All big electronics stores and on-line retailers compete for business so they almost always have financing plans with 0% interest for 6-12 months, if you don't wanna pay upfront for a phone.

Business model is a lot different here in the states than everywhere else. Take as much as you can and giving as little as you can get away with is what most companies are about. E.g. Walmart, carriers, health care, you name it. And if you complain at the price, something is wrong with your respect for the way they choose to do business and you are roundly criticized for blaming the issue on those holding all the cards. That is the "ism" part of capital and it is where companies in business lives. See what happening in Puerto Rico and Greece? The part where people don't matter, that's the ism part of capital at work. Things like carrier plans elsewhere always seem to put people first. Not sure if that's exactly the same everywhere other than here in the states, but it seems that way. I hear Canada allows you to truly own your phone and you can purchase it from one carrier and use it on another.

MrWhiteman

Jul 26, 2013
Visit site

I'm now getting dropped calls, people are unable to ring me the majority of the time. Cortana/Bluetooth is broken and phone randomly reboots

Zachary Boddy

Staff member
Aug 3, 2014
www.windowscentral.com

STORY TIME!
Microsoft finally realizes that offering phones to carriers with an exclusive deal attached is stupid, so instead they try a newer path! Now, Microsoft will sell phones directly to all of you lovely people so you can choose your phone AND your carrier! HURRAY!
OPINION TIME!
Microsoft's real plan should be to do the best they can for the US, but to really focus on the rest of the world. Offer all of their phones directly to the people and on the carriers. Build up market share in other countries and continents (especially Europe) then let the US carriers realize they actually did want those phones.

Kevin Rush

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site

Even if they offer them unlocked, this still is going to hurt. How many are going to spend over $600 for a phone when they can get an android or iPhone for a fraction of that through ATT? I love Windows phone but I may seriously have to leave it behind. I'm not paying that much for a phone. So once I'm sick of my 1520, I may have to ditch WP if ATT isn't getting a flagship

You seem to be comparing apples and oranges. Yes, you can buy all kinds of phones "for a fraction of that" from all carriers and manufacturers and OS's. If you want a flagship phone, it will cost more on every carrier. Don't confuse the low initial cost of a phone, when buying it "on contract over time" with the real cost of the phone. It's not magic. Flagship apple phones cost $650.00 +/- one time cost or $31.00 a month for 24 months plus the precious initial low cost that you favor. Do the math.

JPDVM2014

Sep 11, 2011
Visit site

Again, this is how AT&T used to be, but it isn't any more with the no contract plans. With the Next program, you get the phone for no money down. The only thing you have to pay at the time of purchase is the sales tax. After that, you make a monthly payment which equals the retail price of the phone divided by however many months. For example, when I got my 1520, I paid around $18 for sales tax. The retail price was $585 which I spread out over 20 monthly payments. So, my monthly payment is $29.25. I have one payment left, and then my monthly bill will be $29.25 less every month. Next isn't a very good deal if you have to trade your phone in, but if you pay it off completely before upgrading, it is essentially 0% financing.

Kevin Rush

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site
... I am excited that MSFT seems to be gearing up to offer more phones direct to customers, I was just stating that it still doesn't make up for it not being offered, subsidized, through a carrier.
"subsidized"? That is the carriers "marketing speak" for lending you money at high interest rates. The word "subsidized" makes it sound like the carriers are paying for a portion of your bill. It's marketing slight of hand and it works. Most people fall for it, and pay more.

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site

"subsidized"? That is the carriers "marketing speak" for lending you money at high interest rates. The word "subsidized" makes it sound like the carriers are paying for a portion of your bill. It's marketing slight of hand and it works. Most people fall for it, and pay more.
I love math. How do you figure high interest rate? Please to explain.

Big Papa Smurf

Apr 26, 2014
Visit site
Some people, if you read through the various forums, are interested in the 950. I've seen people saying they wish they were still 4" phones. No matter what ATT/MSFT/VZW/Santa Claus/ Easter Bunny/Odin do, everyone won't be happy. I understand you are wanting a 950XL on payments. And I know people are willing to pay $500-$600 out of pocket. But our options are limited. If this is the issue that send you to android then best of luck to you sir. I can't afford to pay the $500-$600 for the XL either, and I'm not too interested in the 950. So hopefully in FEBRUARY when tax refunds are handed out I'll buy one. Till then, I'm gonna be clinging to my 1520. I may not even get the 950/XL. This thing is a tank!
Edit: By FEBRUARY they may be offering the XL so who knows..

Last edited:

Big Papa Smurf

Apr 26, 2014
Visit site

I love math. How do you figure high interest rate? Please to explain.

I'm not gonna bother with the math but for example:
You pay $199+tax for the OMGWTFROFFLE phone on contract. Now, you pay an EXTRA $25 /month for the next two years. When you crank out the math, you end up paying the same or more in some cases of the out of pocket to buy said phone at $500.
(199+sales tax)+(25*24)=X where X equals the total subsidized price of the $500 phone.
And now if you try to leave, they charge you 150-350 depending on how deep into your contract you are

missionsparta

Jan 19, 2012
Visit site

You pay $199+tax for the OMGWTFROFFLE phone on contract. Now, you pay an EXTRA $25 /month for the next two years. When you crank out the math, you end up paying the same or more in some cases of the out of pocket to buy said phone at $500.
(199+sales tax)+(25*24)=X where X equals the total subsidized price of the $500 phone.
And now if you try to leave, they charge you 150-350 depending on how deep into your contract you are

The OMGWTFROFFLE Phone???? Is there a release date yet???

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site

Hypothetically, what would happen if MS brought the GSM and CDMA phones to their store and sold them on whatever network you wanted. MS has the means to finance the phone if you need and can sell outright if you want.

Technically, the 700 MHz Block C is unhindered:

?C-Block Network? means a network operating within Block C in the
746-757 and 776-787 MHz bands.

The C-Block rules provide that C-Block licensees shall not deny, limit or restrict
the ability of their customers to use the devices and Applications of their choice on the licensee?s
C-Block network, with certain exceptions.

Verizon Wireless holds a license to operate its network on the C-Block. It
launched its 4G LTE service using this spectrum on December 5, 2010. As required by the C-
Block rules, Verizon Wireless has published technical standards and established a certification
procedure for third parties to use in developing devices that will operate on the C-Block Network.
Verizon Wireless has also published guidelines for Application developers that describe best
practices for developing Applications that will operate on the C-Block Network.

Verizon has already been busted for violating C-Block rules by barring tethering Apps from showing on their devices. https://www.fcc.gov/document/order-and-consent-decree-verizon-wireless-pay-125-million

Note the language:
The C-Block rules provide that C-Block licensees shall not deny, limit or restrict
the ability of their customers to use the devices and Applications of their choice on the licensee?s
C-Block network, with certain exceptions.

Shall not limit devices... If the device is capable and compliant. Verizon continues to violate the C-Block rules by not activating BYOD if it can use the 700MHz C-Block and is standards compliant.

There is precedence here to force Vzw or any carrier using C-Block to activate capable/compliant devices onto their network. Of course this is not an issue for the GSM networks. BYOD works on them just fine. Consumers affected need to raise this issue with Verizon and the FCC.

JPDVM2014

Sep 11, 2011
Visit site

I already explained that AT&T's Next program isn't like this. Your math is flawed. You are thinking about the time before we had no contract plans. Back then it made even less sense to buy an unlocked phone to put on AT&T because you would still be paying the same high rate as someone who got a subsidized phone.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss