Rumored no 950XL on AT&T!

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
re: Rumored no 950XL on AT&T!

So, I have a thing for Factory Unlocked phones. The advantages are huge; portability between networks and less restricted access to updates/upgrades are the main draws.

My next phone is going to be a Blu Win HD LTE. It's a dual SIM phone. I had a 1st gen Win HD and never took advantage of the dual SIM nature. That may change. I'm seriously researching and contemplating going with 2 carriers and splitting my voice and data services between the two slots. I can also swap the data only SIM between my phone and my Nokia Lumia 2520 tablet and draw data for my devices from the same well. Big advantage that, as the phone still takes calls while I'm computing on the 2520.

H2O has a plan that is $10 and the cost of a text or one minute of voice is $0.05. That's 200 minutes or texts. MMS is $0.10 and data is $0.10 a MB. I rarely use MMS and my data will be turned off on that slot anyway. I hardly make calls or send texts. Best Part? It doesn't expire for 90 days. My voice could be as low as $3.35 a month. https://www.h2owirelessnow.com/mainControl.php?page=planMin

Now I just need an attractive 3-5GB data only plan and I'm set.

If I can shave down my $45/month from Straight Talk and have the coverage I need with increased flexibility, I may never go single SIM again.

coolbreeze78

Nov 11, 2004
Visit site

This is probably true, the only problem is that most people buy their phones from the carrier. I have never met anyone who has gone out of their way to buy an unlocked phone. Especially with the phone subsidies from carriers. I would love to have the 950XL, but unless MSFT has some sort of payment plan similar to Next, I will probably be stuck with the 950.
I have never signed a contract/financed a phone in my 37 years of life. Always buy barely used, enjoy it for a while, then re-sell in mint condition to pay for my next device. Put up the initial investment and float it down the line with other devices. Easy.

​Sorry you are under the illusion that a .99 phone is actually a dollar.

JPDVM2014

Sep 11, 2011
Visit site
I have never signed a contract/financed a phone in my 37 years of life. Always buy barely used, enjoy it for a while, then re-sell in mint condition to pay for my next device. Put up the initial investment and float it down the line with other devices. Easy.

​Sorry you are under the illusion that a .99 phone is actually a dollar.

I'm not under any kind of impression. I understand how the pricing structure works. If you read anything else I wrote in this thread you would understand that. Hopefully you were taking your phones and putting them on a carrier other than Verizon, AT&T, or Sprint because if not, you were paying the same as me with my $.99 phone that doesn't actually cost $.99. AFAIK, AT&T has only had cheaper rates for bringing your own device within the last 2-3 years or so.

JPDVM2014

Sep 11, 2011
Visit site

So, I have a thing for Factory Unlocked phones. The advantages are huge; portability between networks and less restricted access to updates/upgrades are the main draws.

My next phone is going to be a Blu Win HD LTE. It's a dual SIM phone. I had a 1st gen Win HD and never took advantage of the dual SIM nature. That may change. I'm seriously researching and contemplating going with 2 carriers and splitting my voice and data services between the two slots. I can also swap the data only SIM between my phone and my Nokia Lumia 2520 tablet and draw data for my devices from the same well. Big advantage that, as the phone still takes calls while I'm computing on the 2520.

H2O has a plan that is $10 and the cost of a text or one minute of voice is $0.05. That's 200 minutes or texts. MMS is $0.10 and data is $0.10 a MB. I rarely use MMS and my data will be turned off on that slot anyway. I hardly make calls or send texts. Best Part? It doesn't expire for 90 days. My voice could be as low as $3.35 a month. https://www.h2owirelessnow.com/mainControl.php?page=planMin

Now I just need an attractive 3-5GB data only plan and I'm set.

If I can shave down my $45/month from Straight Talk and have the coverage I need with increased flexibility, I may never go single SIM again.

This sounds awesome! If I do end up buying a 950XL unlocked, I'm definitely going to shop around for an MVNO to put it on to save some money.

Big Papa Smurf

Apr 26, 2014
Visit site
I already explained that AT&T's Next program isn't like this. Your math is flawed. You are thinking about the time before we had no contract plans. Back then it made even less sense to buy an unlocked phone to put on AT&T because you would still be paying the same high rate as someone who got a subsidized phone.

I didn't say NEXT. I said 2 year contract.
The next plan is similar (and a better deal compared to the fossil 2 year contracts imo). BUT, if you fail to read the print (as a family member of mine did) if you trade the phone is before its paid off, you don't get to keep the phone. Now if you don't want it or pay it off in 2 years (which sounds familiar) then more power to you.
I'm not here to say who's right and wrong. But if you prefer to go with a NEXT plan or you pay full price for an unlocked phone, then YOU did was best for YOUR wallet. I'm not a fan of anything that says "2 years or GTFO" but to each his own.
Like I said, there's a 90% chance I'll be rocking my stone age 1520 right into 2016. That, my friend(?) is MY choice because it works for ME.

JPDVM2014

Sep 11, 2011
Visit site

I didn't say NEXT. I said 2 year contract.

Yea, I noticed. But really the only people that are getting contracts anymore (I hope anyway) are those who don't have the credit to qualify for one of the no contract plans. But, I guess your point would stand for those people then, they are getting shafted even worse than everyone else. But, I was never talking about contracted plans, when I said subsidies, I meant being able to split the cost over 20 months. I guess I worded it incorrectly.

Big Papa Smurf

Apr 26, 2014
Visit site

Yea, I noticed. But really the only people that are getting contracts anymore (I hope anyway) are those who don't have the credit to qualify for one of the no contract plans. But, I guess your point would stand for those people then, they are getting shafted even worse than everyone else. But, I was never talking about contracted plans, when I said subsidies, I meant being able to split the cost over 20 months. I guess I worded it incorrectly.
I may have read it wrong. I have been known to do so. And I was just in a bad relationship (VZW) for the last two years. Said I'm not doing that again! It ended just in time for me to buy a couple phones for me and the wife and we hopped to ATT.

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site

I'm not gonna bother with the math but for example:
You pay $199+tax for the OMGWTFROFFLE phone on contract. Now, you pay an EXTRA $25 /month for the next two years. When you crank out the math, you end up paying the same or more in some cases of the out of pocket to buy said phone at $500.
(199+sales tax)+(25*24)=X where X equals the total subsidized price of the $500 phone.
And now if you try to leave, they charge you 150-350 depending on how deep into your contract you are

But I love math. Let me ask, the OMGWTFROFFLE phone is 200 bucks?

Big Papa Smurf

Apr 26, 2014
Visit site

But I love math. Let me ask, the OMGWTFROFFLE phone is 200 bucks?

Rumor has it, you have to sacrifice a goat then sign your soul to Satan.. But is has an 16 core processor and 32GB of RAM. But there was no mention of price... It's soon??? MCCLLLVLXIII

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site

Rumor has it, you have to sacrifice a goat then sign your soul to Satan.. But is has an 16 core processor and 32GB of RAM. But there was no mention of price... It's soon™?? MCCLLLVLXIII

Hyperbole aside, you didn't answer my question. you are saying the OMGWTFROFFLE phone, using your example is 200 bucks?

Maaz Mansori

Apr 25, 2013
Visit site

What I'd like to know is if an unlocked 950XL will work with AT&T LTE Bands. GSM will work for voice/text but many unlocked phones are stuck with WCDMA/UMTS for data when used with AT&T. This is the case with the 930, for example. My understanding is the unlocked 1520.3 works with AT&T LTE though, but I'm not aware of any other WP models that do. Also I thought I'd mention that PayPal Credit may be an option if you order a phone directly from Microsoft. I've used it on other devices such as the Microsoft Band. They typically give no payment/interest for 6 months if you pay it in full by the deadline but be careful because if you don't they will add the interest for the entire 6 months.

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site

Yes, plus sales tax..

Ok, reality check. Lets put this in context, now unless you're referring to the Lumia 640 XL in your example, its about 240 out the door. but even that will be a few bucks a month on contract.
High end phones, 200 bucks? Not even close.
Iphone 6 plus 16 gig, 800.00 plus tax out the door. Iphone 6plus 64 gig, 950 and 128 gig over a grand plus tax, out the door. And its not even on the network yet.
Galaxy 6 edge 64 gig about 700 plus tax. Nexus 6 about 550.
The reason why so many people have smart phones is that most are financed by the carriers. Carriers get stuck with massive amounts of debt because a good chunk of those phones are never paid for. People want them and carriers know this and they want to cash in on your need for "status" so like car companies, they buy them and sell them back to you over time "on contract". What you are paying for is the full retail price for the phone plus fees to the carrier for carrying the note.

hagjohn

Sep 15, 2013
Visit site

Even if they offer them unlocked, this still is going to hurt. How many are going to spend over $600 for a phone when they can get an android or iPhone for a fraction of that through ATT? I love Windows phone but I may seriously have to leave it behind. I'm not paying that much for a phone. So once I'm sick of my 1520, I may have to ditch WP if ATT isn't getting a flagship

You are paying that and more when you buy a subsidized phone through a carrier. It just isn't all up front.

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site

You are paying that and more when you buy a subsidized phone through a carrier. It just isn't all up front.

If you are ok a carrier and you are happy with them I really see no reason to get a factory unlocked phone. Why?

The only way I would think of is the fact you may want Faster updates

sent from my iPhone...asking myself why I own one

fiveaces01

Jul 24, 2013
Visit site

I just converted my roommate to a WP user. He had been waiting for the 640 to become available on Cricket. I had some experience with Cricket having already taken 2 other older friends there to get their first smartphone (lumia 635) and out from under a 68 dollar a month Verizon contract that had 500 mb of data and they were both using old flip phones. Now they pay Cricket $35 a month for unlimited talk and text and 2.5 gb of data (the phone was $79 with a $79 rebate). My roommate got the 640 with the same plan and he paid $99 for the phone. In talking with the Cricket store manager he is under the impression that either the 950 or 950xl will work fine on their Network even if they don't see the device in their store. This is far and away the best company I have seen as far as support for Windows phones go. They understand the OS and actually promote the device while providing really good serice...they run off of AT&T towers

Maaz Mansori

Apr 25, 2013
Visit site

I'll offer some math too. Sales tax rate in this example is 6% and $25/month subsidy cost is based on AT&T mobile share value savings when you use either AT&T Next or bring our own device.

For my AT&T 1520 (32 GB version), the cost at the time was $640. This was in April 2014.

Using AT&T Next - $38.40 up front for sales tax and then $32/month for 20 months. Total cost is $678.40. Paid off in 20 months.

Using 24 month contract, $200+tax=$212, plus $40 upgrade fee=$252. Plus $25/month extra for 24 months is $600, total cost $852.00. Paid off in 24 months.

Using credit card, assuming 18% APR, charge $678.40. Payment approx. $34/month for 24 months, total cost approx $816.

pankaj981

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site

This is what Microsoft should really do...especially here in the US (other countries have similar and or better options)...
Provide 0% APR 24-36 months financing options when bought off-contract in store as well as through carriers, something that Apple does w/ the Barclays Credit cards. Imagine buying an unlocked unbranded phone with no dependency on carriers (a big finger to all 3, Sprint aside) for updates. If one would like to switch carriers they always can..the financing being from a 3rd party moves with the phone. A 650-700 dollar phone for 2-3 years financing would cost anywhere between 20 to 30 dollars a month. And the best part...its unlocked and carrier free! This is what carriers and companies do in most countries...that's why you see folks buy these high-end high-priced phones.

Now reality is, such options do exist today. For example, if one is thinking about buying a 650-700 dollar phone they can always opt temporarily for one of those credit cards that provide 0% interest for 12-18 months (not as attractive as 24-36 month options but there is at least an option) and pay off the balance before they start charging. Last time I checked its not going to affect your credit history in a bad way anyways.

Its more about being aware of the options, if the consumer is not interested in researching..MS should at least come up with some and advertise it heavily enough to create awareness and attract buyers.

MDK22

Oct 17, 2013
Visit site

What I'd like to know is if an unlocked 950XL will work with AT&T LTE Bands. GSM will work for voice/text but many unlocked phones are stuck with WCDMA/UMTS for data when used with AT&T. This is the case with the 930, for example. My understanding is the unlocked 1520.3 works with AT&T LTE though, but I'm not aware of any other WP models that do. Also I thought I'd mention that PayPal Credit may be an option if you order a phone directly from Microsoft. I've used it on other devices such as the Microsoft Band. They typically give no payment/interest for 6 months if you pay it in full by the deadline but be careful because if you don't they will add the interest for the entire 6 months.

There's the rub (in RED, above) in a nutshell. The average smartphone user does NOT have the ability to ask the question / do the research to answer this question.

The carrier model still works because of the 'I want it & I want it NOW' mentality.

IF you buy the unlocked device of your choice from MS, you then have to get the appropriate sized sim for the device. The carrier stores ensure that you walk out the door with a working device. There are still some (GSM) people who DON'T realize they can simply transfer the sim from their old to their new device - and it works. MS would need to have some stock of carrier sims (in the correct size), with the ability to activate said sims & have the customer working out the door.(NOT, you now have to go to your carrier for a new sim).

In addition, MS may have to discount these devices (read: subsidize) to foster acceptance / grow market share, as well as offer 0% interest plans over 12-24 months.

an example would be the new Lumia 640 ... it's a great phone for the price ($130. @ T-Mobile, $99.76 @ Walmart for the T-Mobile variant, $80. @ Walmart for the AT&T variant). Had a chance to use my SIL's T-Mobile Lumia 640, she was going to pay $130. @ T-Mobile, but wound up buying it @ Walmart. I recommended it to her, told her where to get it & she absolutely loves it (an upgrade from her Lumia 521). I'm having major problems believing this is an $80 - $100 phone ... somebody's (MS ?) subsidizing these. If you haven't noticed, it's becoming a low-end hit for Windows phone.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)