Rumored no 950XL on AT&T!

Sniper1087

Sep 12, 2011
Visit site
AT&T used to work this way, but it doesn't anymore. At least not on the no-contract plans. It isn't cheap by any means, but it is cheaper if you bring your own phone. I currently pay $150 for two lines with 15GB shared data. Once my 1520 is paid off next week, my bill will drop to $120 a month.EDIT: This price isn't what a new customer would get. I get a $15/month employer discount and AT&T upgraded me from 10gb to 15gb for free last month. So I'm only paying the 10gb price, but getting 15gb. I'm not sure why, but I'm not questioning it until they try to start charging me for it. :)
hmm i don't think that's quite right the once you paid your device you lose the next discount which is 25 bucks and you pay your line of data plus voice line 40 instead of data plus line of 15.

JPDVM2014

Sep 11, 2011
Visit site
hmm i don't think that's quite right the once you paid your device you lose the next discount which is 25 bucks and you pay your line of data plus voice line 40 instead of data plus line of 15.

I'm 95% sure that I'm right. My wife's 1020 was paid off 2 months ago, and our bill went down by $28 a month or whatever her phone payment was. So, unless there is some sort of discount that will no longer be applied once my phone is paid off, our bill should go down again. Either way, I'll find out on next month's bill.

JonesCK1

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
But the 950​ IS a flashship phone. Personally the XL model is too big for me. Are we talking about more ram or does the XL model have a faster processor or better camera?​

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site

No, JPDVM2014 is correct. It doesn't make a whole lot of difference in cost anymore how you do it: buy with a 2 year contract, buy with Next, or buy outright. The advantage of buying outright is that you can buy a factory unlocked device and therefore not have the carrier restrictions. But otherwise, the total cost is roughly the same if you're using the big carriers.

Blacklac

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site
the regular 950 "Talkman" isn't going to cut it... not when there's the bigger, faster, 950XL out there.

I wouldn't be so sure the 810 will be noticeably faster than an 808 equipped device. The 808 doesn't throttle nearly as bad as the 810. On benchmarks, a throttled 808 outperforms a throttled 810. On some devices, the 810 throttles after just a few seconds. Don't fall for the 810 v2.1 stuff, as supposedly every phone with an 810 has this variant, except maybe the LG Flex 2?

I would rather have the 808, from what I've read.

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android

rebinoh

Apr 20, 2012
Visit site
Hey e'rybody! Before we all go off half-cocked with knee jerk reactions and comments, can we 1) do a little more research? It is a rumor after all. 2) ask one of the many knowledgeable people at WC or 3) - and my least favorite- wait and see. I'm on AT&T and I think it would be ridiculous for them NOT to sell the 950XL, but who knows.

Blacklac

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site
Pretty sure Dan confirmed it wasn't coming in the comments of a blog post a while ago. But now I can't remember if he said just AT&T or all US carriers...

But, unless you are really upset about 5.2" vs 5.7" it really doesn't matter. The 808 and 810 actually trade blows once throttling is factored in.

Blacklac

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site
http://wccftech.com/snapdragon-exynos-atom-a8-benchmarks/

http://www.fudzilla.com/news/processors/37654-snapdragon-810-throttling-issues-examined

http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2015/04/in-depth-with-the-snapdragon-810s-heat-problems/

Snapdragon-810-throttling-3.002.png

http://www.androidauthority.com/snapdragon-808-vs-810-overheating-test-605273/

Snapdragon-808-vs-810-bench-multicore.png

chuckdaly

Jun 20, 2012
Visit site
I buy my phones from Best Buy who regularly offers 24-36 month 0% interest financing, using their store card. Much better deal than Next.

bt66

May 26, 2011
Visit site
Yep. I hope they do that. I will buy only an unlocked version. Don't really care if it's on AT&T or not. Let it have the right bands & I am IN.

vEEP pEEP

Nov 1, 2014
Visit site
I think most people don't know they have a choice - they see a phone they buy it - and carriers advertise more.

But if they knew - think they would buy it unlocked? Would you prefer an unlocked phone - and pay the full price?

I went out of my way to buy an unlocked phone :

1) So I could switch out the sim when I travel
2) Phone I wanted was not available by them.

European People - do you buy the phone of your choice then go to a carrier? Does it work that way?

This is probably true, the only problem is that most people buy their phones from the carrier. I have never met anyone who has gone out of their way to buy an unlocked phone. Especially with the phone subsidies from carriers. I would love to have the 950XL, but unless MSFT has some sort of payment plan similar to Next, I will probably be stuck with the 950.

cheesemoo

Jun 7, 2012
Visit site
My issue is that my work pays for my phone. So that locks me into what ever ATT offers. So to get the XL I would have to purchase out right. :( That kills off a benefit from my job.

HoosierDaddy

May 28, 2013
Visit site
My issue is that my work pays for my phone. So that locks me into what ever ATT offers. So to get the XL I would have to purchase out right. :( That kills off a benefit from my job.
That sucks. My wife's employer just pays her what a phone and service at AT&T would cost. She uses T-Mobile and pockets the difference. Maybe you could get a bonus for suggesting your company do that.

Or you could have some kids and give one of them the scraps AT&T offers. You just pull the SIM and put it in whatever phone you like.

RaRa85

Nov 2, 2011
Visit site
I seem to be missing something. Where did this rumor start and from what sources did they originate? Either way I think AT&T customers need to relax and realize how many times this has happened to people on other carriers time and time again. As a T-Mobile customer I can't tell you how devastated I was to see the words exclusive and AT&T in the same sentence with the Lumia 900,920,1020 and 1520 and you guys got the 830 as an exclusive as well(and I could even go further with the HTC Titan and Titan 2). So please don't start whining. You have been completely spoiled and at least you would be getting one of the great flagships that's due to release and not be left without anything. If you want the 950XL so badly you'll have to get one like the rest of us had to. Find a way. I got my Samsung Focus, HTC Titan, Lumia 920(which I still have) and Lumia 1020 all through eBay.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lolz1234