Rumored no 950XL on AT&T!

Gregory Newman

Jun 27, 2014
Visit site
a 5 INCH WINDOWS MOBILE 10 SMARTPHONE is an easier device to carry around than a near 6 inch one. the next rumored Microsoft Flagship
Smart phone to come out soon is the replacement for the 1020. It will have a full 1080p HD- 5 inch screen not a 5.7 to 6 inch screen and have a 50 megapixel Camera and I think 3 gigs of ram. This is the one I want. I'm on Verizon if they do not sell it I will buy it for the camera from AT & T and use it as a Powerful pocket camera and access the internet through it's Wifi to put other goodies on it like Apps and games and wow Music. sounds crazy but I am not the first person to do that.

JPDVM2014

Sep 11, 2011
Visit site

Thanks for posting these. Looks like it might be a good idea to wait for some performance reviews before deciding between the 950 and 950XL. Performance is my top concern. Followed closely by screen size. It would be hard to move from my 1520, but if the 950 performs more reliably, I would get used to it.

lcw731

May 29, 2012
Visit site
You should question it. I'm paying less for three 3 phones and a tablet sharing 15 GB data on an employer plan. I have come to the conclusion at least in the US when it comes to cellphones you get the network you pay for. Sprint and T-Mobile are cheap and despite all the money they have invested in their network, they still suck. AT&T a Verizon are a little more expensive, but the networks are far more reliable . In the end it doesn't matter how much coverage a carrier has, only if they have coverage where you need it

lcw731

May 29, 2012
Visit site
I haven't heard any confirmation that AT&T will carry one or both of these as yet officially unannounced phones. The truth is they probably don't want to carry the XL because these over size phones just aren't as popular as people thought they would be. Think about it. In the general population you rarely see them in general use. I have never seen a 1520 outside of an AT&T store, and only a hand full of 1320's. If anything Microsoft is screwing up loading the XL with the specs and the screen. The 950 should have the higher specs, an the XL slightly lower specs in exchange for the larger screen.

Blacklac

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site
Ehh, I see tons of 6 Plus and Note devices at my work and in public. The difference between 5.7" and 6" is barely noticeable. Not that I think your point is wrong. I'd bet smaller phones sell more and Windows Phone has such small marketshare, the amount of WP phablets sold must be tiny. But I do think +5.5" devices sell very well.

I have only seen people with 5XX and 9XX series Windows Phones in person. I've never seen anyone with a 1520, besides myself. 920 was the highest end device I've seen anyone else with, actually. :/

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android

MadSci2

Sep 14, 2011
Visit site
Well now you have! All the way back to importing an HD2 from Australia to run on AT&T. My current Lumia 1020 was purchased off of eBay. I don't wait around for a Carrier to offer what I want. Neither should you.

anon(5383410)

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
If they're supposed to be gsm phones and Microsoft sells them unlocked through their site, does it even matter if AT&T "carries" them?

Correct me if I'm missing something here.

missionsparta

Jan 19, 2012
Visit site
If they're supposed to be gsm phones and Microsoft sells them unlocked through their site, does it even matter if AT&T "carries" them?

Correct me if I'm missing something here.

It doesnt matter to people like you and me, but I know a ton of people that if they walk into AT&T and it isn't there, then they aren't even going to know about it...even some that will just assume if it isn't there, that it is comparable with AT&T networks. I just think it could have an affect on over all sales with the casual buyers that dont read up on stuff like this.

HoosierDaddy

May 28, 2013
Visit site
For most, the answer is NO! But so far I don't think MS sells ANY Lumias unlocked in their store. My guess is that MS has relied on the carriers as first responders for problems. I can't imagine MS selling Lumia phones with no warranty, so they will need to staff for all that front line stuff the carriers do now. I don't know if they are ready to do that. I hope they are. B&H provided a 1 year warranty for my 1520.3 and I suspect they do as good a job as the carriers but most people would prefer a "factory" warranty.

So assuming MS actually does sell unlocked Lumias thru their store, the carriers may/will still only permit carrier specific apps on their own phones. An example would be T-Mobile's WiFi calling. Currently you can't have that with a BYOD. Most of those things are overhyped and not necessary for most people.

solarscreen

Mar 17, 2015
Visit site
Why tie yourself to ATT? If you want to use ATT service in the US but not have to deal with them directly, Go to Cricket Wireless. Same service but better plans.

cincykid76

Oct 29, 2014
Visit site
I use to love Cricket great plans and prices....But, they had terrible call quality and reception where I live. They may be worth another look now that they are controlled by ATT, but I am already switched to ATT.

pankaj981

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
I use to love Cricket great plans and prices....But, they had terrible call quality and reception where I live. They may be worth another look now that they are controlled by ATT, but I am already switched to ATT.

Call quality and reception is exactly like AT&T since Cricket now uses AT&T's network

rory753

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
... But so far I don't think MS sells ANY Lumias unlocked in their store...

you can get an unlocked lumia 535 and 830 from the US microsoft store. Canada microsoft stores offer the 640 xl. You can also get a microsoft cares thing where you can get a replacement for your damaged device.

...An example would be T-Mobile's WiFi calling. Currently you can't have that with a BYOD. Most of those things are overhyped and not necessary for most people.

Right. I'm on tmobile, and would appreciate the wifi calling app on my unlocked lumia 830. but, i can also just use skype. hopefully, skype becomes more full featured with win10 mobile.

solarscreen

Mar 17, 2015
Visit site
Slower data speeds if I'm not mistaken? And did they add the unlimited calls to.mexico for $10/month?

Cricket Wireless has access to the ATT 4G LTE network. If you go over the plan data limit, you get throttled so maybe that's where the slower speed claims are from. On the Smart Plan you get unlimited Mexico and Canada calling and unlimited International texting for 38 countries.

Unlimited Talk & Messaging to Mexico & Canada** **Northwest Territories of Canada not included
Make unlimited calls to landlines and mobile phones and send unlimited texts, picture and video messages from the U.S. to Mexico and Canada.

Unlimited
International Texting
Send unlimited text messages (MMS not included) from the U.S. to 38 countries

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kuyhaa