Rumored no 950XL on AT&T!

Big Papa Smurf

Apr 26, 2014
Visit site
Cricket Wireless has access to the ATT 4G LTE network. If you go over the plan data limit, you get throttled so maybe that's where the slower speed claims are from. On the Smart Plan you get unlimited Mexico and Canada calling and unlimited International texting for 38 countries.

Unlimited Talk & Messaging to Mexico & Canada** **Northwest Territories of Canada not included
Make unlimited calls to landlines and mobile phones and send unlimited texts, picture and video messages from the U.S. to Mexico and Canada.

Unlimited
International Texting
Send unlimited text messages (MMS not included) from the U.S. to 38 countries
I'll check that out thanks

dharmababa

Sep 22, 2012
Visit site
If they're supposed to be gsm phones and Microsoft sells them unlocked through their site, does it even matter if AT&T "carries" them?

Correct me if I'm missing something here.

Not all GSM phones are made equally. The radio needs to support the correct bands (frequencies) to get LTE speeds on AT&T. For example, taking T-Mobile phones to AT&T resulted in 4G speeds instead of LTE in the past. So we need to hope that Microsoft sells an unlocked version that also supports all the correct bands. Fingers crossed.

EnemiesInTheEnd

Nov 18, 2013
Visit site
Does anyone here have Cricket Wireless and can say from first hand experience that their service is equally as good as AT&Ts? Also, when I look at their plans, I see that the Smart Plan is $50 per month. Is it really that cheap? This stuff seems a little too good to be true.

Blacklac

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site
Some people have noted "international" or unlocked phones don't always get as good as battery life as phones sold from the carriers. Carrier specific connectivity optimizations I guess.

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android

anon(631531)

Jun 23, 2013
Visit site
Well, i'm an AT&T guy, and the 950XL "was" going to be my first windows phone. Does it pay to wait for the 1050XL? Does anyone have any specs on either phone? Thanks for any feedback.:grin:

HoosierDaddy

May 28, 2013
Visit site
Well, i'm an AT&T guy, and the 950XL "was" going to be my first windows phone. Does it pay to wait for the 1050XL? Does anyone have any specs on either phone? Thanks for any feedback.:grin:
Why wouldn't you get a 950XL? You do know that you can get phones that work on AT&T at lots of places other than AT&T? Buying phones from carriers perpetuates the shenanigans the carriers play with the phones they sell (dumbed down, late or never updates, etc.). Insisting on buying your phone from your carrier is like insisting to buy your car from the gas station.

anon(631531)

Jun 23, 2013
Visit site
Why wouldn't you get a 950XL? You do know that you can get phones that work on AT&T at lots of places other than AT&T? Buying phones from carriers perpetuates the shenanigans the carriers play with the phones they sell (dumbed down, late or never updates, etc.). Insisting on buying your phone from your carrier is like insisting to buy your car from the gas station.

I guess you're right. OK, so if i buy a 950XL at my MS store, i can just get a sim card from AT&T and i'm good to go? I use the AT&T Next Family Plan, but i know that i can also use phones that aren't sold there, as i run my Nexus 5 off of one of their sim cards.:grin:

Blacklac

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site
I guess you're right. OK, so if i buy a 950XL at my MS store, i can just get a sim card from AT&T and i'm good to go? I use the AT&T Next Family Plan, but i know that i can also use phones that aren't sold there, as i run my Nexus 5 off of one of their sim cards.:grin:

As long as it supports all the right network bands, you're good to go. We'll have to wait and see.

As for the 1050? What 1050? Lol. There is no new 10XX series. 950, 950XL and supposedly a Surface phone, but who knows. That's all we heard about, as of now, for high end.

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android

HoosierDaddy

May 28, 2013
Visit site
OK, so if i buy a 950XL at my MS store, i can just get a sim card from AT&T and i'm good to go?
Yes. You can even use the SIM card from your previous phone if the same size. You could even reuse a smaller SIM with an adapter but personally, I wouldn't use an adapter unless I needed to move a SIM back and forth with a phone that uses a smaller SIM. I've seen sockets damaged from a SIM shifting in an adapter while inserting or removing.

HoosierDaddy

May 28, 2013
Visit site
As long as it supports all the right network bands, you're good to go. We'll have to wait and see.
Yes, have to wait and see if the US Microsoft stores sell one with AT&T bands but its a safe bet there will be a model with all bands even if MS doesn't sell it in their store (to avoid offending some carrier). Personally, I think MS is smarter these days and combined with wanting fewer models and variations, I suspect all 950XLs will have all bands.

jdballard

Sep 20, 2011
Visit site
You probably have several of those payment plans already. They are the little plastic cards in your wallet with raised numbers imprinted on them.

The difference is that you pay interest on the "little plastic card", where as the carrier doesn't charge you interest. And, it seems to me that unlocked phones are usually more expensive. You also can't get insurance via your credit card the way you can if you get your phone from the carrier.

I would love to see MSFT actually do a "next" type program. Interest free, and the ability to get insurance, too. It might help a few people out.

jdballard

Sep 20, 2011
Visit site
I'm saying Microsoft can't afford to continue allowing the carriers to control availability.

I agree, but I don't think MS has the power in that relationship due to the low demand for Windows Phones. If they try to tell AT&T (or TMO) "Sorry, no exclusive for you!", the carrier can turn around and tell them "Fine, we won't carry it at all", and it wouldn't hurt their bottom line one bit.

HoosierDaddy

May 28, 2013
Visit site
Even if they offer them unlocked, this still is going to hurt. How many are going to spend over $600 for a phone when they can get an android or iPhone for a fraction of that through ATT?
Please tell me you really understand you pay AT&T that much or more for an iPhone. Just because they don't break what you pay down to show how much is going to pay for the phone doesn't mean you aren't paying it.

and possibly the best flagship not being available for ATT..
There is a difference between available at and available for. And past history shows AT&T customers are better off getting their phone somewhere else. Most people would prefer having the extra memory and Qi charging that AT&T stripped out of their handicapped version of 1520.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nathanboro12