Rumored no 950XL on AT&T!

Doug Swallow

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
Considering Band 17 is listed on 3 of the 4 different 950-family device specification sheets (950, 950 Dual SIM, 950 XL Dual SIM), I would lean towards suspecting it's a mistake on the specification sheet, not that it doesn't support Band 17.

Citizen X

May 11, 2013
Visit site
I just thought of something. It is possible to buy contract phones from other parties. All MSFT has to do is contact at&t and see if you are eligible for an upgrade. I've seen this on websites like Amazon before. I never utilized it because it was never a deal for me and I like as few people as possible involved in my transactions so they can't pass the buck when something goes wrong.

For those of us who are aware of the 950 XL this could be a nonissue. Unfortunately for the people who walk into stores and buy phones off the shelf this could be problematic. They will never see the 950 XL. If they are looking for a phablet all they will see is Andriod and iphone.

cheesemoo

Jun 7, 2012
Visit site
I know it was just a web chat on Micorsoft Store, but the rep just confirmed to me that the 950XL will be sold through ATT when it actually releases. I have had a similar response form the ATT web chat as well. Fingers crossed.

Okay, just saw the other thread on another confirmation. Getting very hopeful now. :)

Okay that other post isnt exactly a confirmation, but hey I'll take it.

Pardon my atrocious typing:

950xlatt.JPG

Last edited:

MiloTheOne

Sep 13, 2015
Visit site
You could go to a Microsoft store and get the phone on a plan. I asked my local stores manager and he told me that is plausible for store reps to do. I called the corporate number and asked and they verified that for me, she didn't seem reluctant to give the I formation to me but when I asked directly she said yes bitterly.

gordonfink

Dec 5, 2014
Visit site
Why is release through ATT so important - so you can finance it through NEXT? If you buy it on a discounted 2 year contract you get screwed on monthly access fees.

HoosierDaddy

May 28, 2013
Visit site
Why is release through ATT so important - so you can finance it through NEXT? If you buy it on a discounted 2 year contract you get screwed on monthly access fees.
It's just important because of ignorance of so many US customers. All they know is getting a phone from their carrier. Clearly it is NOT in their best interest but they don't know anything different. Imagine if cars were sold the same way as phones in the US. People would be bemoaning that they can't drive a [fill in the blank] brand car because only Shell stations sell them and they use Exxon gas.

Eventually the majority of US customers will figure out what most of the world takes as just common sense and carriers will have to stop the games. But until then, phone makers are along for the ride.

gordonfink

Dec 5, 2014
Visit site
You might have seen my post in the 950 thread. I actually was looking into upgrade options, because I have 5 lines. I was going to upgrade the kids (3) to iPhone 6, wife to Galaxy S6 Edge, and me to 950, all for Christmas.

I haven't bought a phone through ATT for probably 5 years, and have had no contracts for that long at least. But, I was thinking, what the heck, because all of the above is awful pricey.

That was when I found out that they would hit me for another $25 per line if I get the 2-yr contract deal. That's $3,000, plus the initial phone prices, which is another $800 or so.

I can buy all of them on NEXT, which will cost the full retail ATT prices, which will be around $4,000.

So, what I have decided to do is buy used iphones (around $350 each), and S6 edge (around 350). That's $1,400. Then, I can get a 950, new or used, when the mood hits me (which will likely be sooner rather than later, because I am jonesing for the 950).

Anyways, total cost is around $2k, as opposed to the $4k ATT wants to charge me. If I want to pay full retail, I'll just buy through Apple, Samsung, and MS, and pay the same but still have no contracts.

I just don't get the "I have to buy through ATT" thing, unless it's a finance purchase through NEXT, which I then understand.

It's just important because of ignorance of so many US customers. All they know is getting a phone from their carrier. Clearly it is NOT in their best interest but they don't know anything different. Imagine if cars were sold the same way as phones in the US. People would be bemoaning that they can't drive a [fill in the blank] brand car because only Shell stations sell them and they use Exxon gas.

maevinj

Jun 19, 2013
Visit site
You might have seen my post in the 950 thread. I actually was looking into upgrade options, because I have 5 lines. I was going to upgrade the kids (3) to iPhone 6, wife to Galaxy S6 Edge, and me to 950, all for Christmas.

I haven't bought a phone through ATT for probably 5 years, and have had no contracts for that long at least. But, I was thinking, what the heck, because all of the above is awful pricey.

That was when I found out that they would hit me for another $25 per line if I get the 2-yr contract deal. That's $3,000, plus the initial phone prices, which is another $800 or so.

I can buy all of them on NEXT, which will cost the full retail ATT prices, which will be around $4,000.

So, what I have decided to do is buy used iphones (around $350 each), and S6 edge (around 350). That's $1,400. Then, I can get a 950, new or used, when the mood hits me (which will likely be sooner rather than later, because I am jonesing for the 950).

Anyways, total cost is around $2k, as opposed to the $4k ATT wants to charge me. If I want to pay full retail, I'll just buy through Apple, Samsung, and MS, and pay the same but still have no contracts.

I just don't get the "I have to buy through ATT" thing, unless it's a finance purchase through NEXT, which I then understand.

First world problems...

cheesemoo

Jun 7, 2012
Visit site

The main issue for me and many others, is that we get phones provided by our work. They exclusively get phones through ATT. If I purchase myself, then that is a loss of one of my benefits.

HoosierDaddy

May 28, 2013
Visit site
The main issue for me and many others, is that we get phones provided by our work. They exclusively get phones through ATT. If I purchase myself, then that is a loss of one of my benefits.
Make sure you let management know (in writing) that you don't consider it much of a benefit if you have to chose between no subsidy or a phone carrier combo you don't want. Companies give these benefits to make employment there a plus. Believe me, they don't want you to be unhappy about this. There may be bureaucratic inertia and it might not get fixed overnight but it never will if nobody educates them about the problem. And if your company is progressive they might be able to give you some other discretionary benefit of equal value to you so it makes it worth while for you to buy the phone you want. My wife's employer just adds a phone allowance to her paychecks and she gets the phone and carrier she wants.

Last edited:

707wpfan

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site

Booooo hoooooooo to you and a few others, many more adults pay their own way and have real bills. congratulations though on finding a job that gives you a free cell phone and pays the bill, lifes rough you get much sympathy for your complaints

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chuffster