Rumored no 950XL on AT&T!

wpfan86

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Booooo hoooooooo to you and a few others, many more adults pay their own way and have real bills. congratulations though on finding a job that gives you a free cell phone and pays the bill, lifes rough you get much sympathy for your complaints
The question was why are some people concerned about AT&T availability, and he answered it. No need to lash out irrationally at him. He wasn't complaining and he wasn't asking for sympathy. He was offering an explanation.

maevinj

Jun 19, 2013
Visit site
Perhaps, but I am trying to help people see that waiting on the ATT version may be a wolf in sheep's clothing.
I think most people realize they are making a deal with the Devil when they buy their phone from the carries.
My comment about first world problems was related to the comment that you have problems with the cost of getting all 3 of your kids an iPhone 6..
First world problems..

psurob55

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
going to pop my AT&T SIM in a 950XL demo if they ever make it back to stores. Kind of concerning that it's almost Nov 1 and we still don't have a release date.

The waiting game continues. My 3 year old 920 is limping right now. The Note 5 / S6 Edge + is becoming increasingly tempting....

gordonfink

Dec 5, 2014
Visit site
The main issue for me and many others, is that we get phones provided by our work. They exclusively get phones through ATT. If I purchase myself, then that is a loss of one of my benefits.

Well that makes sense then. It's pretty uncommon in my industry to get an employer provided phone, so I didn't think of that. I had one once, but I didn't like the phone they gave me (I was actually using an iPhone then), so I just set it up to permanently forward to my personal. So, like you said, it wasn't a benefit at all because I never used their phone.

gordonfink

Dec 5, 2014
Visit site
Cute comment.

The point, again, is that it is much less expensive to go outside the carrier contracts. I guess since I haven't had a contract in years, I had no idea they tacked on extra charges if you get a contract phone.

In the end, you pay full retail, not matter what.

I think most people realize they are making a deal with the Devil when they buy their phone from the carries.
My comment about first world problems was related to the comment that you have problems with the cost of getting all 3 of your kids an iPhone 6..
First world problems..

cheesemoo

Jun 7, 2012
Visit site
Well that makes sense then. It's pretty uncommon in my industry to get an employer provided phone, so I didn't think of that. I had one once, but I didn't like the phone they gave me (I was actually using an iPhone then), so I just set it up to permanently forward to my personal. So, like you said, it wasn't a benefit at all because I never used their phone.

The nice thing is that they let you choose what ever phone you want as long as it is on and sold by ATT. I have brought many coworkers and employees over from iPhones. :) Doing my part! lol

gordonfink

Dec 5, 2014
Visit site
The nice thing is that they let you choose what ever phone you want as long as it is on and sold by ATT. I have brought many coworkers and employees over from iPhones. :) Doing my part! lol

Nice perk - wish I had it. The just handed some old phone, and I said - yeah, no thanks, and set up autoforward.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
You know if this applies to you, or you really should...

[WARN]Let's play nice or the ball will get locked away.[/WARN]

Stick to discussing the topic, not each other, K?

Rick2340

Mar 25, 2013
Visit site
Hate to say it but Windows phone for the general public is a joke. At this point, Windows phone is unimportant and Microsoft obviously has no interest in gaining any market share, at least in the United States. They make it way too difficult for the average person to get the latest phone. It's been nearly a month since the launch of Microsoft's latest and greatest "flagships" and it's still somewhat of a mystery whether the only carrier that is carrying these is actually going to carry both phones. I get that you can get an unlocked version at the Microsoft store but the average person doesn't get their phone this way so this severely limits sales. This is over and above the limitations that the new phones won't work on Verizon or Sprint and the continued lack of Apps as compared to Apple and Android.

Last edited:

PepperdotNet

Jan 6, 2014
Visit site
It's been nearly a month since the launch of Microsoft's latest and greatest "flagships" and it's still somewhat of a mystery whether the only carrier that is carrying these is actually going to carry both phones.
Announced. Not launched. Impatience is not a virtue.

jsooney

Mar 27, 2014
Visit site
Hate to say it but Windows phone for the general public is a joke. At this point, Windows phone is unimportant and Microsoft obviously has no interest in gaining any market share, at least in the United States. They make it way too difficult for the average person to get the latest phone. It's been nearly a month since the launch of Microsoft's latest and greatest "flagships" and it's still somewhat of a mystery whether the only carrier that is carrying these is actually going to carry both phones. I get that you can get an unlocked version at the Microsoft store but the average person doesn't get their phone this way so this severely limits sales. This is over and above the limitations that the new phones won't work on Verizon or Sprint and the continued lack of Apps as compared to Apple and Android.

I think MS has more or less given up on making phones, but is doing so in a gradual manner. They might be thinking it's best to do what they have always done, stick to making OS and apps, and let others deal with the hardware. The Surface line is successful so I think they'll persist with that, but the 950s etc. seem like a token effort while they figure out a plan. Maybe they'll do something with companies like Samsung and HTC, but in the meantime I think these things are just placeholders to keep WP in development.

Captpt

Sep 16, 2015
Visit site
If what you guys are saying is true why did they put so much time,energy & money into building the 950 & 950XL instead of just releasing new mid-range phones or releasing a upgraded 1520??
I mean the 950/950XL to me were built to compete head to head with iPhone 6, Galaxy 6, LG V10 and Nexus 6.. I would think it cost them a ton of money in just R&D to put together a phone as powerful as they're going to be without sacrificing letting owners the ability to add SD cards and swap out batteries which Galaxy phone users are quite disappointed in..
But this is just my opinion..

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
<snip> the ability to add SD cards and swap out batteries <snip>

I used to use these two things as decision makers.Since I bought a Nexus 4 three years ago, I have not had either feature (other than short spurts with other phones). And, I found that I do not miss them at all. Today I wouldn't pay a nickel for either feature.

I did purchase the 64GB version of the Nexus 6 last year, which costs a bit more. But SD cards are not free either, and built in storage is definitely more dependable! There are plenty of issues with SD cards, especially if you install apps on them.

I think these are some of those features that a few people see as important, and assume that everyone else does too. How many users even use SD cards or remove the batteries? I would wager that it's a relatively small number. I seriously doubt whether these features make a noticeable impact on device sales. If they did, the manufacturers would put them in.

Captpt

Sep 16, 2015
Visit site
I would never have thought nobody cares about these features anymore?? I've always kept all my photos, music, contacts and docs on my sd card due to the fact that when i get a new phone I just pop the card out and plop it in the new one and everything is there, not to mention if the phone has a compete failure I lose nothing. Always thought this was a huge drawback to the iPhone, you had to constantly back these things up with iTunes... The battery, I/we vacation a lot and always have a spare for those days when I'm using GPS, photo sharing, streaming music and video and so on which drains the battery quicker then normal, instead of needing to find a outlet/charger I just swap out batteries a keep moving..
Just didn't realize I've become so old school already lol..
Even if put those two no longer needed/cared about features aside, still doesn't make sense they'd put so much into developing these 2 new "flagships" if they are gradually pulling out of the smartphone game?? I'll take it a step further, I hear the shots at the "mythical" Surface phone but I can honestly see a Surface phone in the future with a stylus of course to complete The Surface line; Surface Pro tablet, Surface Book & Surface Phone.. No?? ;)

anon(631531)

Jun 23, 2013
Visit site
I used to use these two things as decision makers.Since I bought a Nexus 4 three years ago, I have not had either feature (other than short spurts with other phones). And, I found that I do not miss them at all. Today I wouldn't pay a nickel for either feature.

I did purchase the 64GB version of the Nexus 6 last year, which costs a bit more. But SD cards are not free either, and built in storage is definitely more dependable! There are plenty of issues with SD cards, especially if you install apps on them.

I think these are some of those features that a few people see as important, and assume that everyone else does too. How many users even use SD cards or remove the batteries? I would wager that it's a relatively small number. I seriously doubt whether these features make a noticeable impact on device sales. If they did, the manufacturers would put them in.

They have always been important to me. The swappable battery I can live without, but not the ext. sd card. You can buy a 128gb sd card for about $40.00 on TigerDirect or Newegg. That's a lot cheaper than paying for the upgraded phone. Photos, ringtones, music, and contacts w/ special ringtones are easily stored on the ext. sd card, and maybe some battery draining apps, too. Pop that puppy into your next new phone, and you're good to go. I wouldn't buy a phone today, without that capability.:winktongue:

PepperdotNet

Jan 6, 2014
Visit site
Well I had already decided that SD card, QI, and replaceable battery were a requirement for my next phone. To me, flagship means more features not less.

malachijd

Apr 3, 2011
Visit site
Just to put my 2 cents in with a grain of salt but I just spoke to at&t customer service and they said both the 950 and xl would be available mid November. Seriously thinking about switching from Verizon to at&t for it.

anywhereanytime

Sep 25, 2009
Visit site
I think MS has more or less given up on making phones, but is doing so in a gradual manner. They might be thinking it's best to do what they have always done, stick to making OS and apps, and let others deal with the hardware. The Surface line is successful so I think they'll persist with that, but the 950s etc. seem like a token effort while they figure out a plan. Maybe they'll do something with companies like Samsung and HTC, but in the meantime I think these things are just placeholders to keep WP in development.

There is no way that Satya Nadella's "Cloud First, MOBILE First strategy" will survive with "NO smartphones"! I can hardly wait for the "Surface Phone" as I have a Lumia Icon that is my daily driver until that time - probably a year from now!

I also firmly believe that Samsung will "deliver a FOLDABLE smartphone device" in the next 6 months and the "we are in a whole NEW ballgame" as that's how I believe that Microsoft *** will disrupt this category ***! Just READ al of the recent Microsoft PR about what Satya Nadella IS SAYING !!!

Add to that that ALL "device strategy" IS NOW under the "Surface Book magician" named Panos Panay !!!!!!!!!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb