Rumored no 950XL on AT&T!

erasure25

Jan 24, 2011
Visit site
I say make the switch if that's the phone you want. Carrier loyalty is bogus. I've switched from Verizon to Sprint to AT&T and in this day and age they are all equally good/bad/wonderful/terrible.

malachijd

Apr 3, 2011
Visit site
Well it's always funny how you talk to one person and they say one thing. Then you talk to another person and get a whole different answer. I talked to at&t again and this time the person told me the 950 xl would be out in January.

Daniel Rubino

Editor-in-chief
Staff member
Jan 19, 2006
Visit site
Well it's always funny how you talk to one person and they say one thing. Then you talk to another person and get a whole different answer. I talked to at&t again and this time the person told me the 950 xl would be out in January.

lol, CS reps are nonsense, unfortunately.

Captpt

Sep 16, 2015
Visit site

I for one will not be waiting until January, I'll grab one soon as MS Store releases them..

mikepalma

Apr 16, 2015
Visit site
1520 is fine w my Band2 until a surface phone comes out. I don't need Continuum and there are no other compelling features, no tap to pay and I couldn't care less about iris scanning...

troylytle

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
I just wanted to squash some things. You guys have mostly come to the right conclusion on pricing with AT&T. A couple things I would like to add is that not everyone, even in a good credit situation, can afford to buy a phone outright. Even the 640XL is just out of reach for a normal phone buyer. AT&T does more for its customers by way of options than anyone else. Take Samsung exclusives for example. AT&T actually has to fight to get Samsung to bring these to the US. There are lots of phones on AT&T that you almost never heard of. AT&T just had a big marketing reset yesterday. Go look at that nice shiny Windows Phone support on the walls. They always have a wp on their collateral. Next is NEXT. AT&T premiered their financing plans with not one but two different plans. Now there is the even cooler NEXT 24 that is spread over 30 months. Eeeeeeeven cooler, there is now NEXT 12 w/down payment where you pay 30% down and spread the rest over 28 months, which makes the monthly about 60% of the NEXT 18 plan.

Captpt

Sep 16, 2015
Visit site
Also my experience... I am the manager of an AT&T store.

Wish you were the manager at the local AT&T Store I frequent.. I stopped in there the other day to see if the 950 or 950 XL was released or info on them and just got a weird look like I had two heads from the rep and told they have no idea.. Then I went looking for the Windows phones and off in the far left corner there was a Promotional sign for Windows Phones and under it was a small display with one 640XL and 3 empty display phone holders, looked pretty pathetic to say the least, my guess is they sell 0 Windows phones..
Honestly I felt like the proverbial red-headed stepchild being even interested in Windows Phones..

Allen Rhodes

Feb 9, 2014
Visit site
If you want the phone, go buy the phone. Half of you, or more, are up to your eyeballs with credit and student loan debt im guessing. Youll whip out the CC for a new TV but having to buy a phone outright is outrageous... wow.

HoosierDaddy

May 28, 2013
Visit site
I just wanted to squash some things. You guys have mostly come to the right conclusion on pricing with AT&T. A couple things I would like to add is that not everyone, even in a good credit situation, can afford to buy a phone outright.

Next is NEXT. AT&T premiered their financing plans with not one but two different plans. Now there is the even cooler NEXT 24 that is spread over 30 months. Eeeeeeeven cooler, there is now NEXT 12 w/down payment where you pay 30% down and spread the rest over 28 months, which makes the monthly about 60% of the NEXT 18 plan.

Also my experience... I am the manager of an AT&T store.

If you want the phone, go buy the phone. Half of you, or more, are up to your eyeballs with credit and student loan debt im guessing. Youll whip out the CC for a new TV but having to buy a phone outright is outrageous... wow.
What a surprise. An AT&T employee wants to sell a more expensive phone and AT&T is happy to pile on the debt. Nothing wrong with that if people will go for it.

But there is an alternative to going into debt because you can't afford to pay for a 950XL up front. Its called buying a phone you can afford, like an AT&T Lumia 640 for $59. Do something like that, and it won't be long before you can save enough to buy a more expensive phone. Unnecessary debt is something to avoid, not be grateful for the opportunity.

Citizen X

May 11, 2013
Visit site
I just wanted to squash some things. You guys have mostly come to the right conclusion on pricing with AT&T. A couple things I would like to add is that not everyone, even in a good credit situation, can afford to buy a phone outright. Even the 640XL is just out of reach for a normal phone buyer. AT&T does more for its customers by way of options than anyone else. Take Samsung exclusives for example. AT&T actually has to fight to get Samsung to bring these to the US. There are lots of phones on AT&T that you almost never heard of. AT&T just had a big marketing reset yesterday. Go look at that nice shiny Windows Phone support on the walls. They always have a wp on their collateral. Next is NEXT. AT&T premiered their financing plans with not one but two different plans. Now there is the even cooler NEXT 24 that is spread over 30 months. Eeeeeeeven cooler, there is now NEXT 12 w/down payment where you pay 30% down and spread the rest over 28 months, which makes the monthly about 60% of the NEXT 18 plan.

Question though is will there be a way to get the Lumia 950 XL on contract? I know in the past you could get a contract phone through the Microsoft store.

MikeSo

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site

It is a little weird that $700 upfront or on credit card for a phone that people use all the time, almost every hour of every day for a thousand things is considered, like you say, outrageous. However, even though the TV us used less, people don't usually replace TV's often. If it doesn't break, most people will have them a decade or longer. Whereas the cellphones have basically become objects that we're expected to replace every 2 years at most. That's what makes the cost seem higher for most, I think, even though we really get a lot more mileage out of phones than TVs these days (most of us).

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
It is a little weird that $700 upfront or on credit card for a phone that people use all the time, almost every hour of every day for a thousand things is considered, like you say, outrageous.

No worries; we just like to use iPhone and Samsung Galaxy users as fodder for financial management training.

troylytle

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
What a surprise. An AT&T employee wants to sell a more expensive phone and AT&T is happy to pile on the debt. Nothing wrong with that if people will go for it.

But there is an alternative to going into debt because you can't afford to pay for a 950XL up front. Its called buying a phone you can afford, like an AT&T Lumia 640 for $59. Do something like that, and it won't be long before you can save enough to buy a more expensive phone. Unnecessary debt is something to avoid, not be grateful for the opportunity.

You wouldn't have called it debt if it was on contract. Also, it doesn't matter how much the phone costs a consumer. There is something called gross profit. I seriously doubt there is a much different margin if at all.

Ed Boland

Retired Ambassador
Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
You wouldn't have called it debt if it was on contract. Also, it doesn't matter how much the phone costs a consumer. There is something called gross profit. I seriously doubt there is a much different margin if at all.

So I've looked back at all of your posts in this thread, and somehow you've avoided the big question. As a "manager of an AT&T store" you must know something... is AT&T eventually going to carry and offer the 950XL or not?

troylytle

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
Because I manage a store does not mean I know anything more than you. Plus everything I find inside the site is internal AT&T information. But... There isn't anything on the XL yet.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kuyhaa