On Screen Keys Instead of Capacitive?

gpobernardo

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
The first thing that entered my mind's eye after reading the title was Tactus Technology - the thing where buttons "magically appear" on the screen of the phone based on what is displayed on the phone. The last time I read about this in detail was four or five years ago (I was able to paste the link to it in an earlier part of this paragraph, but I haven't re-read about it now). I don't know how compatible that technology would be with our ever hardening screens though... and with Swipe.

vespernova7

Aug 29, 2011
Visit site
I take issues with your disadvantages, sir. I own both Lumia 1520 and a HTC M8 for windows phone and I find...
2. no more blinking led when charging - my HTC has a separate led light for notifications in the speaker grill it always comes on when charging. I have no light when charging my L1520
3. No more possibility of having coloured keys matching your accent - never happed with L1520 always white, on my M8 I can set the OSK for always dark, match background, match accent
4. No more possibility of using the windows logo as a notification led thus requiring a separate notification LED - also never happened hence number 2
5. It would be impossible to tell if your phone has completely locked up (frozen screen) or not, as pressing the capacitive keys you get vibration feedback if not fully locked up - OSK supports vibration when with key press.
while I still like have capacitive keys, I can't deny that OSK are useful and I feel that if your going to state the advantages and disadvantages that you should have your facts straight. there is also a unlisted advantage in where the OEM don't have to make a separate phone for windows software hence the savings in time and cost for manufacture.

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
I take issues with your disadvantages, sir. I own both Lumia 1520 and a HTC M8 for windows phone and I find...
2. no more blinking led when charging - my HTC has a separate led light for notifications in the speaker grill it always comes on when charging. I have no light when charging my L1520
3. No more possibility of having coloured keys matching your accent - never happed with L1520 always white, on my M8 I can set the OSK for always dark, match background, match accent
4. No more possibility of using the windows logo as a notification led thus requiring a separate notification LED - also never happened hence number 2
5. It would be impossible to tell if your phone has completely locked up (frozen screen) or not, as pressing the capacitive keys you get vibration feedback if not fully locked up - OSK supports vibration when with key press.
while I still like have capacitive keys, I can't deny that OSK are useful and I feel that if your going to state the advantages and disadvantages that you should have your facts straight. there is also a unlisted advantage in where the OEM don't have to make a separate phone for windows software hence the savings in time and cost for manufacture.
That's why we have glance. I don't need a notification LED. Hence why 1520 >m8 for most people.

CHanging navigation buttons color is a gimmicky features.

rory753

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I've been using the 640xl, and really enjoy the onscreen keys. i like that if i don't want them there, they're not there, and if i need them, they're there. having options is great. also, when i hand the phone to the kids to play a game, they don't accidentally hit a key and go home/back/search. all in all, I'm glad the 950 is getting this feature.

pavvento

Jan 6, 2012
Visit site
I've been using the 640xl, and really enjoy the onscreen keys. i like that if i don't want them there, they're not there, and if i need them, they're there. having options is great. also, when i hand the phone to the kids to play a game, they don't accidentally hit a key and go home/back/search. all in all, I'm glad the 950 is getting this feature.

This happens almost everytime I give my phone to someone to take pictures so it could be a plus.

someone2639

Sep 25, 2014
Visit site
I think I like the 640's idea of swiping from the bottom to hide/show the keys. Free bragging rights along with it being intuitive

jaygeek

Sep 10, 2014
Visit site
That's the problem... If they hide, you can't actively use them. Example: It's a #dealbreaker for me (and I've been waiting years already for a flagship) @Lumia phones must have dedicated hardware keys (camera button, yo!) AND capacitive keys BELOW the screen! Just try to tap the back button (or Windows or Cortana/Search buttons) when the button disappears or the Notification Center COVERS the buttons!

rory753

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
the default is they don't hide, and they stay up. you actually have to manually make it hide, like on a desktop taskbar. it'll be ok.

ArtificiallyYours

Jul 12, 2015
Visit site
I don't see what the crisis is. I mean people go up in arms about the resolution of their display, demanding OEM's to take the fullest advantage, and get the fullest use out of their panels... Aren't they technically doing this?

Not going to defend every decision (I prefer denser bulk than thinness), but a flagship display would have no problems with on-screen menu keys.

EMINENT 1

Mar 29, 2012
Visit site
I actually prefer screen keys too - on my 920 I was always hitting the buttons in a game and leaving it. While OS updates improved that over time, screen keys that vanish when in a game are good as you don't accidentally hit the buttons. And in a video too. I remember the 920 ones glowing while watching a movie - I know they could physically dim but the refinement of doing that wasn't implemented from the video player. Screen buttons are easily hidden.

Exactly my problem. I quit gaming on my phone because accidentally hitting those damn buttons sucked every time. The glowing sucked too. Nothing worse than getting search when you had no intention of searching or backing out of an app I was using and losing my work because of that damn back button.

Love the clean look of Motorola and LG phones.

Good riddance!

ArtificiallyYours

Jul 12, 2015
Visit site
If they are going to off-screen navigation/search keys anymore then at least make them tactile? I miss push-button navigators like we all miss QWERTY Keyboards. The feel and sound of a button's 'click' is satisfying, more-so than the aesthetic gimmick of fixed hardware touch keys

Desynthesis

May 12, 2014
Visit site
Thinking about on-screen buttons, and having used my mom's Lumia 630, I've realized that I could get behind on-screen buttons with one condition: integration with apps. In other words, say I'm using FB Messenger (since Facebook removed any phone OS' ability to use its own messenger client to use FB messaging, thanks). it has its own bar of buttons at the bottom.

I don't think I'll accept requiring two bars of buttons on the screen. It's bad enough I'm losing real-estate as it is (and the idea that the bottom bezel will be significantly smaller isn't actually proven--it's going to still have a microphone port, right?). Require major app produces merge the bottom bar with the "virtual buttons", its not like they'll be short of space (any app that has 6 or more buttons on the bottom toolbar has issues of its own).

So, in the case of Messenger, you'll have a toolbar that has the add contact button, the refresh button, the search button, the back button, and the home/windows button, and the phone search button. Maybe hide the ones that would be redundant.

I don't want two bars (which, let's face it, are likely not to match for color or design reasons).

At least this way, we're getting some advantage out of the virtual button bar. Otherwise, I'm quite content to stick with my Lumia 830--the three buttons work fine (and it's not as though some aspect of virtual buttons couldn't break), and the light doesn't bother me since I'm not staring into my phone while I sleep (doing so would probably rule out glance too, which is awesome). That's just my position anyway.

And, of course, they need to have vibration or some sort of tactile response. That's a given.

Lothario#CB

Dec 8, 2011
Visit site
(Like the Cortana/search button on my 1520 has started having a mind of it's own lately, and launches Cortana randomly)

Hey Ed: that's a known (but not widely publicized issue). I hammered at it for a few weeks but ended up just going with a hardware swap which fixed it. I suspect that it's a hardware issue is introduced via stress, possibly screen torque. In any case, the swap was the only thing that fixed it. just FYI.

Ed Boland

Retired Ambassador
Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
Hey Ed: that's a known (but not widely publicized issue). I hammered at it for a few weeks but ended up just going with a hardware swap which fixed it. I suspect that it's a hardware issue is introduced via stress, possibly screen torque. In any case, the swap was the only thing that fixed it. just FYI.
While it may be, it only happens on my 1520 when I'm running the win10 previews (even the latest 10512 build). I alleviate this by setting the "touch" sensitivity to normal and turning double tap to wake off. Once I adjust those settings, the issue goes away for me. Thanks for pointing out this issue though, as others may have it as well.

chenhogi

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
Extremely disappointed with the on screen buttons. I also hold the opinion that high end devices should come with capacitive buttons.

KimRM

Apr 28, 2015
Visit site
Can someone that have tried or use a model with on screen keys tell me if there is any border or space between these keys and the commandbar-menu when this is used in apps ? Because I see this can be a issue hitting the onscreen keys instead of expanding the commandbar when it is collapsed. Plus it would not look good. This would be a major design issue for apps actively using the commandbar-menu.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
Can someone that have tried or use a model with on screen keys tell me if there is any border or space between these keys and the commandbar-menu when this is used in apps ? Because I see this can be a issue hitting the onscreen keys instead of expanding the commandbar when it is collapsed. Plus it would not look good. This would be a major design issue for apps actively using the commandbar-menu.
It depends on the app. For some apps, the on screen keys cover that menu but for others, it either doesn't make a difference or the menu bar is right above the on screen buttons.
For reference, I have a 640.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nathanboro12