Lumia 950 XL, Nexus 6P, iPhone 6s Plus, Note 5

travisel

Sep 9, 2012
Visit site
Microsoft better put the Lumia 950 XL in every store sold right next to the new iPhone 6s Plus and Note 5 & Nexus 6P if they want a win! All carriers were there competition sold?

Last edited:

Zachary Boddy

Staff member
Aug 3, 2014
www.windowscentral.com
Re: Lumia 950 XL vs iPhone 6s Plus vs Note 5

Doubtful. We'll see how it plays out, but don't expect a miracle. By all means, hope for it. Hope for Apple to offer Microsoft all of their assets for free. Hope for Google to mysteriously fall under and turn to Microsoft for aid. But don't expect it, that's what leads to disappointment.
Goodnight children.

travisel

Sep 9, 2012
Visit site

I am praying for the Lumia 950 XL to come to TELUS mobility this November? Please

It seems only Rogers mobile gets top Lumia in Canada.....I'm hoping Microsoft not making stupid exclusive carriers like Nokia did?

Zachary Boddy

Staff member
Aug 3, 2014
www.windowscentral.com

I am praying for the Lumia 950 XL to come to TELUS mobility this November? Please

It seems only Rogers mobile gets top Lumia in Canada.....I'm hoping Microsoft not making stupid exclusive carriers like Nokia did?

Microsoft doesn't have any control over carriers and they don't have the influence to overpower their decisions like Apple or Samsung does. Microsoft has to take what the carriers give. However, Microsoft has finally come to the glorious revelation (as rumored) and turned to universal GSM radios, which means an unlocked Lumia flagship will run anywhere (except for outliers like Verizon who use a more ancient...can't think of the word but you get what I mean).

Sep 10, 2013
Visit site

Microsoft better put the Lumia 950 XL in every store sold right next to the new iPhone 6s Plus and Note 5 if they want a win! All carriers were there competition sold?

Never going to happen.

The best thing MS could do for itself is just to go the way of Motorola with Motomaker. Cut out the carriers entirely, put every radio in all handsets so that it works on all networks and consumers can just pop in a sim card and go.

They're never going to get it in stores unless they start to really push continuum (vis-a-vis Windows Mobile) right next to every Surface....and that isn't going to happen because it's too much of a risk that Windows Mobile actually drags down the value of the Surface brand (which MS has worked so hard to establish/grow).

So yeah, I vote going the way of Motomaker.

missionsparta

Jan 19, 2012
Visit site

Start giving them away with Xbox's or it is over. That is how they overcame Sony. That is their last chance here. Short of that, they will be done within two years.

travisel

Sep 9, 2012
Visit site

So there's a possibility for unlocked Lumia 950 XL coming could run on most carriers networks with some unified radio sounds fantastic but only a rumor till the 950 XL October launch party happens.....well with Microsoft stores popping up everywhere why wouldn't they use their own stores? Makes sense....but unlocked Smartphone's cost more?

GCrane1982

Jan 28, 2013
Visit site

I have no doubt that MSFT will have a presence with certain carrier where the phone is available on plan or outright, however history shows that this is not going to drive sales by any significant margin.

If I was in charge and MSFT were serious about staying in the mobile space and increasing market share, I would have the handsets available globally to purchase outright via the Microsoft online store, unlocked from the carriers and with all of the GSM radio's. In addition to this I would also have the handsets available to purchase outright in retail outlets to bypass the carriers all together.

I would also make them a reasonable price. We know MSFT have the cash to carry a loss on these handsets, so for the first year I would undercut all other similar handsets. The Moto X can be had for $399 so the 950XL should be around $375.00 and the 950 for around $325.00.

Lastly I would bundle these handsets with other products that are already selling well, for example buy a Surface Pro 3 and get a 950XL for an extra $100.00, buy a Xbox 360 same thing. People are already buying these products in large volumes if you can entice them to also get a Windows 10 Mobile device you will see sales volumes increase.

After a year if the marketshare is trending in the right direction and consumers and developers start acknowedling Windows 10 mobile devices, MSFT can ease off the on the discounts and increase the price with the next round of devices to try and turn a profit.

If there is no increase in consumer/developer awareness then I would say Windows 10 mobile is a failure and it is time for Microsoft to exit the market.

ohlumia

Jul 25, 2015
Visit site

the 950 XL is no competition for the iphone 6s+ or the Note5, those are flagships... the 950XL might be top tier in the windows phone world but it certainly should NOT be standing anywhere near those other phones from a total package perspective unless it cost half the price of those other flagships...

Last edited:

travisel

Sep 9, 2012
Visit site
the 950 XL is no competition for the iphone 6s+ or the Note5, those are flagships... the 950XL might be top tier in the windows phone world but it certainly should be standing anywhere near those other phones from a total package perspective unless it cost half the price of those other flagships...

What do you mean no competition?
950 XL has bigger and removable wireless charging battery then both of them. "3300 mAh"

950 XL has more Mega Pixel camera then both of them. "20MP" + "5MP"

950 XL has more RAM than iPhone 6s plus. "3GB"

950 XL has 128GB microSDXC storage support! Both iPhone 6s plus and Note 5 have no support!

950 XL has Windows 10 Mobile vs what? iOS9 or Android 6?

950 XL has category 10 LTE support

The only thing I see the others have over the 950 XL is the Snapdragon 810 v2.1 eats more power than the other two. Besides that the Lumia 950 XL is a flagship smartphone!

Last edited:

dakken

Jul 7, 2012
Visit site
the 950 XL is no competition for the iphone 6s+ or the Note5, those are flagships... the 950XL might be top tier in the windows phone world but it certainly should be standing anywhere near those other phones from a total package perspective unless it cost half the price of those other flagships...

Please explain in what way the 950xl is no competition for those other phones and why it should cost half the price,,,except for the fact that you dont want to pay what its worth?

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android

paulxxwall

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site

950 XL has bigger and removable wireless charging battery then both of them. "3300 mAh"

950 XL has 128GB microSDXC storage support! Both iPhone 6s plus and Note 5 have no support!

The only thing I see the others have over the 950 XL is the Snapdragon 810 v2.1 eats more power than the other two. Besides that the Lumia 950 XL is a flagship smartphone!
very true! I'm only leaving for IOS due to certain apps that will not be coming to WP anytime soon or at all at the pace ms is rolling.but these new lumias look and sound awesome but apps,app quality,and phone selection is what's switching me to the 6s plus im on a 1520 now so 1080p still look good so higher screen resolution wont bother me either but at fixed16gb to start with is tough to swallow but ill miss WP for sure ill check back in the future for sure!

Zachary Boddy

Staff member
Aug 3, 2014
www.windowscentral.com

So there's a possibility for unlocked Lumia 950 XL coming could run on most carriers networks with some unified radio sounds fantastic but only a rumor till the 950 XL October launch party happens.....well with Microsoft stores popping up everywhere why wouldn't they use their own stores? Makes sense....but unlocked Smartphone's cost more?

Unlocked phones don't cost more you're just not getting any discount. When you buy a phone from a carrier on contract they take the brunt of the price for you and have you pay a fraction of the cost. Usually 1/5 at first from what I've noticed. Buying a phone unlocked means you can't get those carrier discounts.

Zachary Boddy

Staff member
Aug 3, 2014
www.windowscentral.com

You realize guys that the 950 line isn't meant to compete directly with the top flagships of Android and iOS? Microsoft knows very well not even a miracle would suddenly make them sell in droves. The purpose of the 950 and 950 XL is to appease the Windows Phone enthusiasts and get a good image of Windows 10 Mobile out there, establishing a base while they prepare for a proper, innovative flagship device.
I do believe Microsoft should sell the 950 and 950 XL severely discounted and offer lots of promotions and sales, as that will drastically help get their phone out there.

Stormdrunk

Feb 22, 2013
Visit site

I have a feeling that in Canada the Lumia 950's and 640's will be offered by carrier and the XL versions will be offered unlocked from online Microsoft store.

Keith Wallace

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site

That won't happen, and it wouldn't work anyway. The 950 will have the worst SoC of the three. It'll have the fewest apps. It'll be the newest OS (people will be unfamiliar). It'll launch last. It'll be missing features it promotes (like app porting). It'll be a good piece of hardware with a great camera, but that's rarely the general public's aim in a purchase.

Yes, they should get the devices everywhere to maximize potential sales, but these things won't be successful unless Apple's entire phone stock catches fire in a warehouse or iOS 9 turns out to just be a pile of identity theft-loving malware.

ArtificiallyYours

Jul 12, 2015
Visit site

The 950XL can be held in many ways without losing signal, and won't bend like the iPhone 6s(softer), and the CEO won't give us lip for meme status.

ohlumia

Jul 25, 2015
Visit site

I do not disagree with the specs, unfortunately, all the big smartphone makers realize today that a phone is nothing without a proper ecosystem.
I have never heard about any windows phone user going to android or iOS because of specs. It always comes down to apps, support, availability of said phones, OS features etc...

No one cares about specs anymore, they are good enough.
The 950 and 950xl do not address any of the issues I just mentioned. In fact, I would compare the new flagships to an iPhone 5s if I wanted to be fair on total package but even a 5s is a better value proposition.
Don't get me wrong, I love windows phone and have had a handful and still use as my main phone. In fact I have a 1520 and a 640 and have had most of the flagships before that since the lumia 800.

Microsoft realizes where they are very well, the living proof of that is a phone like the 640 selling at 80$ and available everywhere.

There is absolutely no reason for Microsoft to put out a true flagship at this point, the market is not there, they are working hard at creating it but it is not there yet.
Now, releasing the 950 and 950xl anywhere near flagship prices would be in my opinion against the strategy they have been driving with lately, these need to be released south of 350$ if you ask me. Anywhere north of that is going to be suicide.
A lot of windows fans realize this, as far as I am concerned, this is my last run with Microsoft if they fail to price the 950 series properly. It would just mean that they have decided to burry windows phone.
The true flagship is yet to come. I believe that the 950 series is part of the strategy laid out to convert the masses to windows phone thus the price needs to align with the strategy. I hope I am right cause that will mean we all give Microsoft another chance and we will potentially see them turn into a proper mobile force.

Bottom line, the 950 series phones are no flagships as far as I am concerned.
Cheers,

Last edited:

vcarvega

Mar 31, 2015
Visit site

Although I agree with you, many would count it having Windows 10 Mobile as a detracting factor compared to Android or iOS. People buying the iPhone 6 or Note 5 will also care more about the hardware design.

Personally, I'm hoping to get the 950 XL... I went back to Android when my 1520 screen cracked. Even though I like Windows 10 Mobile, it will be very tough giving up the app experience I've gotten used to again. Microsoft is going to have to garner a lot of dev support to fix that problem. Astoria and Islandwood are good starts... but devs have to be motivated to port their apps too. As a business person, the Delta and banking apps on Windows 8.1/Windows 10 Mobile really sucked compared to Android.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taylormcintire