10-06-2015 12:43 AM
118 ... 2345
tools
    You do want another brand. Go.

I don't know why some of you even bother arguing your point to leave. Just do it. You obviously have a good enough reason or reasons.

Yes, it's true. Some apps aren't available. I have this same problem with a radar app only available on Android. So, I bought a used LGG3 to mirror to my Appradio 3 in the car. Bad esn and cheap. No need for activation because I have no intention of using it as a daily phone.

Just because it has an app or apps I need isn't good enough for me to leave the platform. I started this journey since WP7 and have been waiting for this whole unified thing to happen and now that it has, you're damn right i'm still in because it's still going to be the best universal os for everything. No Galaxy S Tab, Pixel, giant Ipad is going to give the same experience I get with my SP3 and pc running 10.

I've waited this long, I can wait a bit longer. There is nothing the others offer other than some random app we all think we need, but don't. This isn't a money issue. It's what's in it for me in the long run. If I abandon this now, I cut off the single most important part of the unified os equation and that to me is more important than some bank or social app. This is what some of you don't get. If you're just wanting to do what's popular, just go. Why debate it? Go give your money away to the other side. Keep supporting the fragmentation that is mobile and pc and giving them the right to sell $700 giant ipads that don't play well with the desktop and suck as a hybrid.
    10-01-2015 02:01 AM
    You do want another brand. Go.

I don't know why some of you even bother arguing your point to leave. Just do it. You obviously have a good enough reason or reasons.

Yes, it's true. Some apps aren't available. I have this same problem with a radar app only available on Android. So, I bought a used LGG3 to mirror to my Appradio 3 in the car. Bad esn and cheap. No need for activation because I have no intention of using it as a daily phone.

Just because it has an app or apps I need isn't good enough for me to leave the platform. I started this journey since WP7 and have been waiting for this whole unified thing to happen and now that it has, you're damn right i'm still in because it's still going to be the best universal os for everything. No Galaxy S Tab, Pixel, giant Ipad is going to give the same experience I get with my SP3 and pc running 10.

I've waited this long, I can wait a bit longer. There is nothing the others offer other than some random app we all think we need, but don't. This isn't a money issue. It's what's in it for me in the long run. If I abandon this now, I cut off the single most important part of the unified os equation and that to me is more important than some bank or social app. This is what some of you don't get. If you're just wanting to do what's popular, just go. Why debate it? Go give your money away to the other side. Keep supporting the fragmentation that is mobile and pc and giving them the right to sell $700 giant ipads that don't play well with the desktop and suck as a hybrid.
    So you're admiting to carrying two phones to do the job that one phone can do just for the sake of not giving up on a platform.....

A platform that has given up on you. Customers of one of my apps lost their licenses thus right to download my app on their new phones or if they restored their phone.

Microsoft's response was that the issue is fixed in Windows 10 so it doesn't matter. This was back in I think April this year? They ditched Windows Phone 8.1 before Windows 10 Mobile even became semi useable.

As Tim Cook said I think it was yesterday, havingone OS in all devices is futule. He is not wrong. Look at Windows 10 on the PC. Just because it has huge download stats doean't make it a success. Windows 10 on the desktop is a lemon. It crashes, it loses tiles, it fails to install and it looks downright silly with it's thin icons and stuff.

They are hard up getting the desktop version of Windows to run in this "unified" model let alone the phone as well. Look at even the latest build of W10M it is barely useable. It's hard to see how it is going to be functional come a month.....

There is plenty to debate about, Microsoft are killing their platform and it's because people like you are telling them how fantastic it is and then anyone who does anytjing more than use facebook on it is realising that it sucks and shouldn't be used.
    Poirots Progeny likes this.
    10-01-2015 02:44 AM
    So you're admiting to carrying two phones to do the job that one phone can do just for the sake of not giving up on a platform.....

A platform that has given up on you. Customers of one of my apps lost their licenses thus right to download my app on their new phones or if they restored their phone.

Microsoft's response was that the issue is fixed in Windows 10 so it doesn't matter. This was back in I think April this year? They ditched Windows Phone 8.1 before Windows 10 Mobile even became semi useable.

As Tim Cook said I think it was yesterday, havingone OS in all devices is futule. He is not wrong. Look at Windows 10 on the PC. Just because it has huge download stats doean't make it a success. Windows 10 on the desktop is a lemon. It crashes, it loses tiles, it fails to install and it looks downright silly with it's thin icons and stuff.

They are hard up getting the desktop version of Windows to run in this "unified" model let alone the phone as well. Look at even the latest build of W10M it is barely useable. It's hard to see how it is going to be functional come a month.....

There is plenty to debate about, Microsoft are killing their platform and it's because people like you are telling them how fantastic it is and then anyone who does anytjing more than use facebook on it is realising that it sucks and shouldn't be used.

I don't "carry" anything but my 830. The G3 sits in my glovebox for that one task.

This is because as many apps as there are, I still prefer the vision of one os. Nothing about Android will give me the same experience across an Android pc. Don't try to shove drivel about how 10 is bad. I have it on my SP3 and desktop and they're both working great. So much that there is nothing from Android/IOS that can touch Surface and there's no way i'm using their phone just to get a disjointed experience that IOS and OSX offers or even a fragmented experience with Windows and iphone/android. Not everyone shares the same view or experience as you.
    920Walker likes this.
    10-01-2015 10:31 AM
    I have WM10 preview on my 1520 and is using it everyday. Yes it had its problems in the beginning but working fine now. I am a Business owner who needs to be in contact. Had an Android phone and since I moved my business onto Off 365 it just became a mess to try and have e mails and calendar sync all the time. Since I moved to Lumia that problem immediately disappeared. So I have already combined my Android tablet and Laptop for SP3. What a pleasure now. Whether I access my e mail via internet, phone, SP3 it is always synced.

I do agree that Continuum for now will be limited not because of the idea of it but due to the OS on phones still a partial OS which will not provide full functionality as on a PC. Yet even before Continuum was introduced companies have already experimented with the idea where the phone is used to dock with a tablet, Laptop or Desktop system where the phone remained the system just you chose which size screen you want to use. But I will upgrade to Lumia 950xl as soon as it arrives in South Africa and test Continuum for myself. Not sure but I believe I would not even need the base station to link Phone through Continuum as I am already projecting my phone to a tv screen using the Microsoft adaptor on a HDMI port.

With smart phones as good as if not better than low to middle level PC's what is the need to have a phone, tablet, Laptop and even a desktop?

Personally I will seriously consider a 7 inch Lumia phone with a full W10 operating system as my only device with the ability to connect to a bigger screen, keyboard and mouse.

What a pleasure will it be to only have one device.
    920Walker likes this.
    10-01-2015 01:40 PM
    Your dilemma is understandable. I've been with WP since Samsung Focus first debuted. Like you, I've owned several handsets in the WP system. I haven't bothered to leave in spite of some nifty things I can do with other phones due to their popularity. Frankly, all of the use cases you listed don't really apply to me so I am going to offer my observation and opinion only. iOS and Android will always be adopted first in the market place and therefore receive attention first. This is just a matter of math. No one out there is doing anything just for fun. Some do, of course, but most do not. Programmers and their funding studios have a purpose and it's to make money. Supporting the largest community of users makes sense. Only greater adoption of Microsoft platform can change that. So. We're left with the dilemma. On the one hand, if you leave, you can do stuff you want to do that you think you should be able to do. That's a fair proposition - in a world of competition this is how it should work. On the other hand, if you leave, you work against yourself. You can't want WP to be supported by new and cool stuff if it doesn't grow enough for OEMs and developers to support it. If more people leave than join, then the problem will never go away; in fact, it may hasten the platform's demise no matter what Microsoft says their commitment might be. In the USA, we have another more example that may help. Wal-Mart vs local merchants. People claim Wal-Mart is big-bad-and-evil, yet they shop there rather than with their local merchants. Sure their prices are cheap, selection is vast, quality dubious, provide cheap jobs, and they are nearly ubiquitous ... but they have displaced and are displacing local merchants and due to the product profile tend to favor foreign (manufacturing) jobs and products over domestic. For me, not-supporting Wal-Mart is a values proposition. I don't shop there if I can avoid it. The issue is not unlike my support of Microsoft (though admittedly its markedly less controversial). I need to resist being forced into "top 2" because options are important. But, as others have said, at least Microsoft is providing customers options by supporting their software on competing platforms. You may get the best of both worlds. Pick what is most important to you and go with it. I believe in Microsoft's vision. Their software has provided me with a stable and long term career (I'm a Microsoft SQL Server DBA), I've used their software my entire life, I love my XBO, and so I'm sticking with the business and it's platform as a show of solidarity. I also make my family do the same (since I pay the bills). I evangelize and educate my friends and coworkers when they ask my what I have in my hand and am asked why not iPhone. If WP fails, well, then I gave it my go AND enjoyed an alternative for several years. While my live doesn't revolve around mobile, it is very important. Since I'm resistant to social trend and media, I have a lot more independence. I can live with anything as a tech person, but I have a preference and baring any forced requirements (say, by employer, or WP going away) I think I'm fine with what I am supporting. Just remember, the community must grow before anything will really change. Microsoft, in releasing W10M and Flagships, will have done their part. Marketing only matters so much. Word-of-mouth is golden and the social aspect to this cannot be ignored. It is our responsibility. We need to help make it cool if we really care about this, not give up just because the platform isn't hasn't yet achieved (by whatever degree is important to you) feature parity.
    10-01-2015 01:56 PM
    Ok guys, I'm in line about to pick up a 6S Plus. Any one have anything to change my mind? Please!? HELP!
    Lol I'm in the same boat. I just reserved a 6S+ and I hate apple and really like windows phones. Just can't get over the app issue. I'm gonna sit here for the next 4 hours wracking my brain whether I should go pick up that iPhone or not. Gah this sucks.
    10-01-2015 04:26 PM
    Lol I'm in the same boat. I just reserved a 6S+ and I hate apple and really like windows phones. Just can't get over the app issue. I'm gonna sit here for the next 4 hours wracking my brain whether I should go pick up that iPhone or not. Gah this sucks.
    Get the iPhone as long as you're ok with a phone that big you'll love it!
    10-01-2015 06:19 PM
    I had a 1520 which I loved so size isn't going to be an issue.

I didnt go pick it up today. I'm going to wait until the event at least.
    10-02-2015 02:36 AM
    I had a 1520 which I loved so size isn't going to be an issue.

I didnt go pick it up today. I'm going to wait until the event at least.
    Yea that sounds reasonable. Man the 950 and 950XL look yuck. Guess Microsoft didn't keep Nokia designers? The 930 with its alloy chasis woth Plastic back was really good. These mew ones all plastic not so much.
    10-02-2015 02:40 AM
    Yea that sounds reasonable. Man the 950 and 950XL look yuck. Guess Microsoft didn't keep Nokia designers? The 930 with its alloy chasis woth Plastic back was really good. These mew ones all plastic not so much.
    honestly for me, I don't care so much how the actual phone looks. I closely inspected my moms 6+ last night and it's a beautiful phone. But it's what's inside that counts more to me.
    10-02-2015 03:23 PM
    You'll be back.. I'm back after a year with the iPhone 6+. I realized the apps weren't that important to me. OS functionality is important. The only one I really really miss is the Target Cartwheel, but that's why I make sure to take the wife with me and her phone when I go to target now.
    10-02-2015 03:46 PM
    You'll be back.. I'm back after a year with the iPhone 6+. I realized the apps weren't that important to me. OS functionality is important. The only one I really really miss is the Target Cartwheel, but that's why I make sure to take the wife with me and her phone when I go to target now.
    Out of interest, what OS functionality did you miss on the iPhone that is on WP?
    10-02-2015 07:46 PM
    Exactly. The problem with the app gap is not just the missing top Apps like Clash of Clans, Game of War or Snapchat but more about the latest apps that are either local (local newspaper or bank) or are part of a new type of app (eg Periscope). I think nows a great time to jump ship for a year, check out Win10m on a metal based premium Intel device next year? As long as we still use MS Apps all is good anyway according to the CEO...
    Bingo. It's not just the app gap although this has and will continue to be wp Achilles heel for the foreseeable future. It's features that attract consumers as well. 3D touch is cool and developers will get on board fast. Google Now on Tap is cool. Dedicated coprocessors for handling sensor related tasks are great. MS's counter offer to these is continuum. Not being a traveling businessmen, I could care less about tethering my phone to PC peripherals and using it as one. Apple and Google get what mobile actually means, whereas MS think it means better ways to tether a phone.

Unresolvable app gap problem and lack of vision = no incentive to buy a WP.
    Last edited by syspry; 10-02-2015 at 09:29 PM.
    Cheeky Ghosty likes this.
    10-02-2015 08:50 PM
    MS's counter offer to these is continuum. Not being a traveling businessmen, I could care less about docking my phone into PC's. Apple and Google get what mobile actually means, whereas MS think it means better ways to tether a phone to a PC.
    You think continuum is that? Well then everybody should obviously heed your wisdom about these things. :-)
    10-02-2015 08:58 PM
    You think continuum is that? Well then everybody should obviously heed your wisdom about these things. :-)
    OK not really. I worded in a vague manner so I'll edit and clarify. Continuum will enable you to turn your smartphone into a PC. It will allow you to connect a keyboard, mouse, and monitor to your phone and essentially operate it as you would a Windows 10 computer.

My point remains, you get to tether your phone to PC peripherals. Whoop-de-doo. As I said earlier, MS doesn't get the meaning of mobile and still thinks it means tethering. I used to do that too... In 2011. This is Nadella's big answer to Apple and Google? May as well just bring Balmer back.
    10-02-2015 09:25 PM
    As I said earlier, MS doesn't get the meaning of mobile and still thinks it means tethering.
    A bit of a strange argument when Continuum is an additional option on top of normal phone use. But pray tell, what is this mystical meaning then that MS doesn't get? Can it be revealed to mortals?

Apropos about bringing Ballmer back: This 2012 comic predicted Apple would 'invent' the Surface Pro in 2015 | Cult of Mac
    10-02-2015 09:42 PM
    A bit of a strange argument when Continuum is an additional option on top of normal phone use. But pray tell, what is this mystical meaning then that MS doesn't get? Can it be revealed to mortals?

Apropos about bringing Ballmer back: This 2012 comic predicted Apple would 'invent' the Surface Pro in 2015 | Cult of Mac
    Cool story, I'll buy the "when WP succeeded" edition whenever that happens. Talk to me then. Otherwise the state of WP provides a way better argument to your POV than I ever could.
    10-02-2015 09:45 PM
    So the Meaning can't be revealed. I'll just continue my sad stumbling in darkness...
    syspry likes this.
    10-02-2015 09:48 PM
    Bingo. It's not just the app gap although this has and will continue to be wp Achilles heel for the foreseeable future. It's features that attract consumers as well. 3D touch is cool and developers will get on board fast. Google Now on Tap is cool. Dedicated coprocessors for handling sensor related tasks are great. MS's counter offer to these is continuum. Not being a traveling businessmen, I could care less about tethering my phone to PC peripherals and using it as one. Apple and Google get what mobile actually means, whereas MS think it means better ways to tether a phone.

Yea I feel the same about Continuum. Also same thing with Windows 10 and how they bang on about streaming your Xbox to the PC. Guess what, I bought an Xbox so I could crash in front of the telly and play stuff. If I wanted to play games on my PC I'd have bought a gaming PC, not stream a lower resolution to my PC......big wow..... It became aparant to me a while ago that Microsoft has zero knowledge on real world useage scenarios beyond office products. The ribbon was revolutionary. Now they think you don't even use facebook and if you do you'll accept half the experince....pffft Apple definitely leads the way in this regard. Things like AirDrop etc. show real foresight on how people would like to use devices.
    syspry, JohnStrk and 920Walker like this.
    10-02-2015 09:58 PM
    On further thought... not being a traveling businessman but an occasionally traveling everyman, I think I'd love to carry only the phone as my traveling computer and connect it to a bigger display and keyboard at my destination, or use a Continuum tablet or laptop which are nothing but a display, battery and a slot for the phone and which I could leave in the hotel room when going out, worrying a lot less than if it were a full laptop or tablet with all my data on it. You know, Continuum just may be the future of mobility. In three years when Apple invents it, you'll think it's genius.
    10-02-2015 10:45 PM

On further thought... not being a traveling businessman but an occasionally traveling everyman, I think I'd love to carry only the phone as my traveling computer and connect it to a bigger display and keyboard at my destination, or use a Continuum tablet or laptop which are nothing but a display, battery and a slot for the phone and which I could leave in the hotel room when going out, worrying a lot less than if it were a full laptop or tablet with all my data on it. You know, Continuum just may be the future of mobility. In three years when Apple invents it, you'll think it's genius.
    You do realise MSFT did not invent continuum right? Ubuntu phone wanted to do this too. It wasn't genius then and it's still not genius. It's ok to have as an add on, but you wouldn't use it to promote the platform to the masses because genuinely no one is all that enthused about it except maybe 3 people on these forums.
    10-02-2015 10:54 PM
    Ubuntu phone wanted to do this too ... you wouldn't use it to promote the platform to the masses because genuinely no one is all that enthused about it except maybe 3 people on these forums.
    1) Wanting to do something and doing it are different things, and MS isn't claiming to have invented it. Apple will, and the fanbois will believe it.
    2) Please tell how the masses could possibly be enthused about something before they know about it at all? Is it used to promote the platform to the masses? I wouldn't exactly call the few geek conference demos that.
    10-02-2015 11:03 PM

1) Wanting to do something and doing it are different things, and MS isn't claiming to have invented it. Apple will, and the fanbois will believe it.
    2) Please tell how the masses could possibly be enthused about something before they know about it at all? Is it used to promote the platform to the masses? I wouldn't exactly call the few geek conference demos that.
    Right, they soon realised it wasn't worth doing.

Well it is the only thing W10M does that WP8.1 doesn't. The only people that use WP are those exact geeks. Else it's just someone that bought inventory overstock and they don't know anything about anything anyway.
    10-02-2015 11:13 PM
    Things like AirDrop etc. show real foresight on how people would like to use devices.
    AirDrop, really? :-) Yet another incrementally less clunky workaround to the problems stemming from poor cripple iOS not having a file system is what people really want? ROTFLMAO.
    10-03-2015 12:48 AM
    AirDrop, really? :-) Yet another incrementally less clunky workaround to the problems stemming from poor cripple iOS not having a file system is what people really want? ROTFLMAO.
    You're seriously targeting the phone with nearly 2 billion active users and massive app developer support as the object of your derision? That's... an interesting approach. I guess.
    10-03-2015 01:51 PM
118 ... 2345