I want a Lumia 950XL but each time i miss out on a app do i want another brand

redbluff

Apr 2, 2012
Visit site
Totally agree. I have access to any phone I want because of work and I have tried them all. But I keep coming back to the 640XL with Win 10. I have emailed my banks, etc encouraging them to get an app for WM but they decline because of time and cost with lack of broad acceptance. I thought we would see more universal apps by now. I was thinking if Windows 10 was popular developers would write apps for Windows 10 and they would be universal so we could get them on our phones. But that isnt working either. So I am using iOS for now and jumping back and for updating my 640XL to latest fast WM10 previews. I play with it for a while and then go back to iOS for apps I need to use. Not sure why the Astoria project isnt moving quicker either for Android apps to get over to our devices as well.

paulxxwall

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site
Totally agree. I have access to any phone I want because of work and I have tried them all. But I keep coming back to the 640XL with Win 10. I have emailed my banks, etc encouraging them to get an app for WM but they decline because of time and cost with lack of broad acceptance. I thought we would see more universal apps by now. I was thinking if Windows 10 was popular developers would write apps for Windows 10 and they would be universal so we could get them on our phones. But that isnt working either. So I am using iOS for now and jumping back and for updating my 640XL to latest fast WM10 previews. I play with it for a while and then go back to iOS for apps I need to use. Not sure why the Astoria project isnt moving quicker either for Android apps to get over to our devices as well.
before deciding to jump to IOS I gave it a valiant effort to contact all the devs to the apps im missing and needing and making sure to add the fact that win 10 is out and coming..all are declining to make an app for financial reasons! Not one! One dev emailed me and said if they did make a WP app, there would be no resources to maintain it . And with this Astoria project I find it hard to believe that there just going to wait around instead of letting loose on these projects to get consumers here now! Ms is looking for long term.....30 years long term.. There working on making WP good for the babies on there win10 commercials...now I get it......

sguy156

May 5, 2014
Visit site
Same here contacted some of the banks , utilities companies and they are refuse to make apps for WP due to low market share . Don't see universal apps helping app situation on WP that much . How many apps do you see which say get it in WP ,they all say get it on iOS or play store .

Rooks308

Nov 9, 2014
Visit site
you nailed it: "if you a little tech savvy" if not, Android/iOS prepackaged "ecosystem" is the place to be. Are "mobile apps" really that important if you have a robust processor and a 5" + size display with a browser? I don't think so. If a bank, local restaurant, or whatever launches an iOS/Android only app, I go to my browser and guess what, all the functions are there. It is personal preference in the end but you will never find me lining up outside a shop or playing the device envy game.

Games and horoscope apps I suppose are big advantages for the mass market platforms, but I don't personally do that.

What you are saying does indeed have some truth to it but I (personally) think you are missing the big picture. No offense intended, I just see it this way:

If you have a 1520, or a 930, or other high end WP then fine, you have a decent set of hardware, but the VAST VAST majority of windows phones are the Lumia 52x's, 4xx, 6xx, 7xx and even 8xx phones and most of them have only moderately powerful (barely) Snapdragon 400's and many of those have only 512mb of ram. In the iOS world 512 ram isn't as big a deal but in Android and WP 512mb of ram only gets you so far, you can't even see the whole app store on 512 by default. Don't get me wrong, my old 635 could sail along nice and smoothly doing most day to day stuff and in fact one of WP's most notable things is its ability to run on low end hardware, that is what they are known for!

When using my Windows Phones I do end up using the Websites for my banks (because of course there is no official app, or the one they put out is nowhere near as well built or featured as the iOS/Android versions), but using a fully developed mobile app by the bank is so much faster and more convenient. It isn't that it is hard, it is just easier and faster.

I am very much looking forward to seeing the full details of the new flagships to be announced in October (the spec sheets look pretty nice), I really hope that this time the performance of the flagships is ahead of the other guys at launch.

It reminds me of this. Performance - Nokia Lumia 930 Review

Thanks for reading this wall of text. I appreciate your personal insight. Oh by the way, are horoscope apps really a big thing? :winktongue: I promise I do not have any horoscope apps on any of my Windows Phones, iPhones, Android Phones or my Fire Phone. Unless you count the horoscope section of the Onion App :)

Cheeky Ghosty

Jul 23, 2013
Visit site
Facebook looks fine to me oh my HTC One M8. I see what my friends post, I can reply or comment and its updated in a timely manor. Videos play, images show up and links work.

Not sure what work or play app you need to have on a phone but I respect the fact that we don't have them all and you have a point. Having said that, if there is an app i must have, at a whim, I'd be on that platform. For instance, my wife uses a particular medical app unavailable on Windows phone. So she has to get the tools for that. That's what I recommend what everyone do. I said it before. Do You.

Don't sit around here crying when you know how to solve your own problem. Believe me, if I needed an Iphone, you'd find me on IMore, not Windows Central.

The Facebook app on WP does not allow you to reply to individual comments.

It often shows nothing when you click on a notification because it can't load a picture or whatever. Sometimes it even tries to open the browser to do it. Often it fails at uploading pictures for no apparent reason. Just because you don't know how to use facebook properly doesn't mean it works fine. Just because it looks fine on your screen, doesn't mean you aren't annoying the hell out of everyone else by replying out off thread etc. The facebook app on WP is basic and not ok by any stretch. No one should be saying it is ok.

That's like saying a toaster that only toasts one side of your bread still toasts fine.....well yea it toasts fine.....if you only want one side toasted...

Cheeky Ghosty

Jul 23, 2013
Visit site
I now have an iPhone because:

I want to actually use facebook on my phone, not a subset of facebook functionality that was cutting edge in the year 2000.....

Cardless cash, my bank has a very good app on windows phone, but for whatever reason it doesn't allow the cardless cash feature. So when the ATM swallowed my card, I was stuck without being able to access cash. Had I had iOS or Android I'd have been fine.

Dominos pizza have a deals app that they publish good deals only to that app sometimes. App only available on iOS/Android.

Me and my partner have a bit of fun with Snapchat ;)

Office, which is the reason I went to Windows Phone, is now much more beautiful on the iPhone than it ever was on Windows Phone and it works great on iOS.

In fact there is not really anything designed for a mobile to do that I can't do iOS or Android!

So I am curious, why do people keep suffering with Windows Phone? Why would you bother with broken websites, missing apps, ever changing UX (not always for the better either) and so forth.....why do it to yourselves? Is it because you can't afford an iPhone? Is it because you hate Apple or Google? Is it because you live in an area such as India where extremely cheap low end phones are the most popular, hence Windows Phones being used most?

I am keen to know why people bother, because I no longer do.

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
The Facebook app on WP does not allow you to reply to individual comments.

It often shows nothing when you click on a notification because it can't load a picture or whatever. Sometimes it even tries to open the browser to do it. Often it fails at uploading pictures for no apparent reason. Just because you don't know how to use facebook properly doesn't mean it works fine. Just because it looks fine on your screen, doesn't mean you aren't annoying the hell out of everyone else by replying out off thread etc. The facebook app on WP is basic and not ok by any stretch. No one should be saying it is ok.

That's like saying a toaster that only toasts one side of your bread still toasts fine.....well yea it toasts fine.....if you only want one side toasted...
Because I don't know how to use it properly? What, you take a class on the use of social media and think you can school me? Son, I could give a crap about a facebook and if I want to reply to an individual comment, the phone is not the only way with which to do that. You're out of your mind with this facebook garbage like facebook is that important. It isn't. Never has been and won't ever.

Cheeky Ghosty

Jul 23, 2013
Visit site
In my experience you get used to such sensations/feelings. And with time u'll love your lumia more.. been using my 925 since it launched and today i fell in love with it yet again coz of WM10. Patience is what our guys at Microsoft are asking...

You love W10M? I can walk away and make a coffee before the store app opens on fresh install build 536......and Windows 10 Desktop is also buggy as hell. If W10 desktop is anything to go by I definitely wouldn't be waiting out for W10M.

michail71

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
You love W10M? I can walk away and make a coffee before the store app opens on fresh install build 536......and Windows 10 Desktop is also buggy as hell. If W10 desktop is anything to go by I definitely wouldn't be waiting out for W10M.
Are you using a Surface 3? Store in Win 10 seems to run in slow motion for me. Like 1,000x to 10,000x slower than my desktop. I've even checked task manager and cpu and network just show idle while it sits there.

jaimeastin

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
I now have an iPhone because:

I want to actually use facebook on my phone, not a subset of facebook functionality that was cutting edge in the year 2000.....

Cardless cash, my bank has a very good app on windows phone, but for whatever reason it doesn't allow the cardless cash feature. So when the ATM swallowed my card, I was stuck without being able to access cash. Had I had iOS or Android I'd have been fine.

Dominos pizza have a deals app that they publish good deals only to that app sometimes. App only available on iOS/Android.

Me and my partner have a bit of fun with Snapchat ;)

Office, which is the reason I went to Windows Phone, is now much more beautiful on the iPhone than it ever was on Windows Phone and it works great on iOS.

In fact there is not really anything designed for a mobile to do that I can't do iOS or Android!

So I am curious, why do people keep suffering with Windows Phone? Why would you bother with broken websites, missing apps, ever changing UX (not always for the better either) and so forth.....why do it to yourselves? Is it because you can't afford an iPhone? Is it because you hate Apple or Google? Is it because you live in an area such as India where extremely cheap low end phones are the most popular, hence Windows Phones being used most?

I am keen to know why people bother, because I no longer do.

Well... One would argue... You dont know bad until you had good/great... Otherwise, bad is good.

I use to use an iPhone(s) as a daily driver... I have android phone lost somewhere around here... I consider going to ans iPhone again at times... But thing is... I am very happy with my windows phone...

I originally left apple the last time cause I was fed up with iTunes and I did not want to be locked into their ecosystem. I voice around a lot and have devices made by many companies... I need services that are just as flexible. Google used to be that company I supported for that very reason... As it stands now, I I avoid google as best I can. I buy apple products when ans where needed. Some are just well executed.

I am not missing my apps from my hone... Other than chase app to deposits the random physical check... Mobile sites are all usable... The initial reason for apps was the web Brower could not handle the website... There are some exceptions where the app is a better experience than the growers, buy that is not always.

My windows phone has expandable memory, just works, and is different than what's out there...

I stay cause I am happy (not fanboyish loyal) and because I want to not only "think different. ;-)" but look different. The iPhone is so solid, yet it is stale in tht world of phones... And no phone has ever made mw feel like it was magical and all the other mess.

Most of us are professionals who can at will buy what they want... I can thankfully... What i want, I get... There is nothing keeping me from an iPhone but the desire to have one... Which I don't have a desire. I dont have a resin to dump my current phone... You did however so that is cool... But that is w
You... I will not knock you or your phone.. That's silly... Which leads mw to the main reason hy I dont want to be in the apple camp... It boggles my mind why people in the apple camp who are so happy with their magical devices put so much worry into why someone else chose different? Is it because they really are sheep scream "bah-whyyyyyyyyyh" as they let marketing and influence chose for them or because they really care for all the people who are suffering with another brand phone that obviously they were too poor and/or ill-informed to know about they iPhone. Respect your and everyone's choice... Then move on quickly.

erfanjafar

Sep 17, 2015
Visit site

That might be the case with your phone. Mine too was slow (so much slow that i had to roll back) but now it seems fast. Just one tiny step behind the 8.1 store.

Rose640

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site
Oh i can take all these things, slow store, sometimes unresponsive action center, delay on the lock screen, complicated Office ... As long as it is as beautiful as it is now. What a sentence o_O

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
WP devices are great and work well for some (at least the 2.6% who have chosen one). However only the delusional WP ****** will dismiss out of hand the advantages mobile apps bring to the smartphone experience today as we see on ios and android and there really shouldn't be a problem with someone who is looking to enjoy what a modern smartphone can do switching to one of those platforms.

It seems there are too many people here concerned with fighting the "war" with ios and android (which has already been lost btw) and miss the point of having such technology, using it to enhance our lives. Restricting your options by saying you are "loyal' to WP/W10M (ironically while your OS maker does all it can to cozy up to those platforms) is the height of delusion. Take a step back, remove the ****** glasses and ask which platform will work best for you. Leave the rabid ****** loyalty to the truly delusional subscribers to the reality distortion theory while you sit back and enjoy the tech you've bought.

elindalyne

Aug 1, 2015
Visit site
I'm really trying to figure out what apps people keep talking about that are deal breakers for me... And I just can't think of any.

I've used IOS and Android before and they're really not my cup of tea.

vcarvega

Mar 31, 2015
Visit site
Yep, this is the biggest problem Microsoft has. I had been using a 1520 and loving it. But when the screen cracked, I went back to using my Nexus 5... the app experience is just so much better on Android, I feel like I might miss it if I go back to Windows 10 Mobile.

Wevenhuis

Oct 19, 2011
Visit site
I love my lumia 1520 to bits. Its been my daily driver and useful phone for over 2 years now. It caters my needs yes. One thing I guess I was really wishing for was the support of bluetooth HID support for document editing on my beautiful 6 inch screen with a bluetooth keyboard, as I did with my windows mobile phone back in the day. Now microsoft is upping its game by not only supporting that in the 950XL, but also providing a more immersive experience on the go with continuum. Mind blown when I first heard about it. If continuum also works for other apps on your phone, I think it would melt with joy. The idea of having a pc-like experience on your phone when you need it is awsome.

I agree that a better support van apps & services for the windows 10 platform would be improved. I also get frustrated with great services advertising useful and regularly high quality apps, but when I scroll to the bottom of the page it is support for android and iOS 9/10 times. And that hurts, because it means it does hurt the local market and that the market determines the phone you buy. I'm happy that microsoft makes it quite easy now to port iOS and android apps to the windows platform, but they really need to get the word out more aggressively to local markets and really show clear demos how to do it and what it means for your windows device. Only then will there be traction and things could improve wonderfully for the platform. They really need to push PR to spread the word.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)