I want a Lumia 950XL but each time i miss out on a app do i want another brand

ROBBIE HALL

Mar 3, 2015
Visit site
I agree! Dont tell me its easy to port show me! Be active with devs. And youre MS! BULLY your way...throw your weight around. 100million pc now run w10...how does your app store come last? Cant universal apps be a forced system? Where a dev has no choice but to code for all? I figured thats what apple would have done! This is our OS and we decide how you can develop on it. They are 3 apps missing that I really want or at least something suggested Showbox, movietube and live stream player (from ios). I still have an Alcatel c5 which I use just for this. And I'd just rather use my WP. Suggestions?

StevoPhilo

Oct 7, 2013
Visit site
I agree! Dont tell me its easy to port show me! Be active with devs. And youre MS! BULLY your way...throw your weight around. 100million pc now run w10...how does your app store come last? Cant universal apps be a forced system? Where a dev has no choice but to code for all? I figured thats what apple would have done! This is our OS and we decide how you can develop on it. They are 3 apps missing that I really want or at least something suggested Showbox, movietube and live stream player (from ios). I still have an Alcatel c5 which I use just for this. And I'd just rather use my WP. Suggestions?

You just said it. Use the Alcatel. There is nothing you can do but wait.

travisel

Sep 9, 2012
Visit site
Well hopefully these two new emulator's they made to play iOS & Android in Windows 10 Mobile "TH2" in November should start to see more apps converted?

I haven't heard much about these emulator's? Does anyone know more information?

Hopefully Win10 Mobile app count grows 300 apps per day soon :)

mrtrick

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Was waiting and waiting for the 950xl, then accidentally went and ordered an iPhone 6s+ yesterday,, oops.
been with windows phone for 4.5 years and decided it was time for something different.. along with all the apps that have not arrived on this platform.
I do feel like I've done something terribly naughty at the moment..
#offtositonnaughtystep

Cheeky Ghosty

Jul 23, 2013
Visit site
It doesn't work that way: these days iPhonism is the dominant cult obsessively demanding that everyone conform as they do. Using a Windows phone is naughty and rebellious.

No iPhonism is realising that app makers go to the dominant markets first. Sure there are peoole that have an iPhone coz it's an iPhone...just as there are people that have Windows Phone just coz it isn't an iPhone. A smart person looks at what each device can do, and picks the device that will do the most out of all the things they want to do. Only a fool picks a device because it is or isn't a particular device.

I left iPhone to Windows Phone mostly for Office. Office is actually better on iPhine than it is on Windows Phone 8.1 (tested with an old quote template, can't edit the macro generated fields on lumia 930, works perfect in new iPhone office). Now I'm back to iPhone and loving it. I hear Android is getting less and less buggy as well and so I would consider it if it did things that I want to do that my iPhone can't, but very happy woth te iPhone. My only real gripe is I'm stuck with a 9 minute snooze interval for alarms....that's about all.

Joe Acerbic

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
No iPhonism is realising that app makers go to the dominant markets first.
I'm talking about iPhonism as in attacking every Android or Windows gadget with the religious fervor of true believers annihilating infidels who won't convert, cheering and defending Apple every time they get a corrupt and/or clueless judge to enforce their "rounded corners" type patents etc. etc.

Poirots Progeny

Dec 22, 2013
Visit site
I'm talking about iPhonism as in attacking every Android or Windows gadget with the religious fervor of true believers annihilating infidels who won't convert, cheering and defending Apple every time they get a corrupt and/or clueless judge to enforce their "rounded corners" type patents etc. etc.
Microsoft cronies do the same thing lol. Just less successfully lol.
What ever happened to personal choice? Me? I spend my money how iI like and couldn't give a fig whatever anyone else thinks. Peace.

Joe Acerbic

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Microsoft does not patent someone else's ideas from 20 years ago like swipe to unlock, or get a patent for "their" tablet design that's just a pencil drawing of an HP/Compaq TC1000 and then use those troll droppings against competitors. Therefore there's nothing like that for any Microsoft "crony" to defend.

Poirots Progeny

Dec 22, 2013
Visit site
Microsoft does not patent someone else's ideas from 20 years ago like swipe to unlock, or get a patent for "their" tablet design that's just a pencil drawing of an HP/Compaq TC1000 and then use those troll droppings against competitors. Therefore there's nothing like that for any Microsoft "crony" to defend.
Oh come on. You know what I'm getting at. It was a joke. Everyone whines about everyone. And funny thing: Apple blatantly "reinvent", in that they rip off other ideas. No argument, they do that. Don't thing is that Apple makes it successful. I don't know why but the reality distortion field messes with the mind. That's why all the money is there. MSFT need to start leading and create (magical) and people will buy. I still say buy whatever makes one happy though.

easyejl

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
really though, are there much in the way of those apps that have anything significant that isn't also available through a mobile friendly website? I really haven't found it so, even on my android tablet I have very few apps installed as I'd just as well go to the website to do it.

paulxxwall

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site
really though, are there much in the way of those apps that have anything significant that isn't also available through a mobile friendly website? I really haven't found it so, even on my android tablet I have very few apps installed as I'd just as well go to the website to do it.
I work in car stereo...there's alot of 12 volt apps that are missing popular ones from Sony Kenwood pioneer jl audio etc. I bank locally too and it mobile web page renders horrible as well as remote car alarm and starters I sell all do at have or will have apps on WP store so unfortunately for me I need some apps

Cheeky Ghosty

Jul 23, 2013
Visit site

Number one, using the browser you do not recieve push notifications, this is true for any browser based servive, so if you have a service that sends a notification when you recieve a Bitcoin payment for example you need the app to recieve the push notification. Yes some services will email but if you put all these things into your email it gets busy quick.

Number two, so you use facebook in the browser? It is severely crippled, and again no push notifications. To get the full functionality of facebook you either need desktop browser or app and tye WP facebook app is attricious.

Sure there are some apps which literally display the web content within the app and you can just use the site. But don't make the mostake of thinking that is the case for everything.

Some banks have no app on WP and the website does not even render correctly in WP. For a long time there was one of my Banks I could not use with my phone and even today it is flaky at best till I moved to my iPhone.

EMINENT 1

Mar 29, 2012
Visit site
You do want another brand. Go.

I don't know why some of you even bother arguing your point to leave. Just do it. You obviously have a good enough reason or reasons.

Yes, it's true. Some apps aren't available. I have this same problem with a radar app only available on Android. So, I bought a used LGG3 to mirror to my Appradio 3 in the car. Bad esn and cheap. No need for activation because I have no intention of using it as a daily phone.

Just because it has an app or apps I need isn't good enough for me to leave the platform. I started this journey since WP7 and have been waiting for this whole unified thing to happen and now that it has, you're damn right i'm still in because it's still going to be the best universal os for everything. No Galaxy S Tab, Pixel, giant Ipad is going to give the same experience I get with my SP3 and pc running 10.

I've waited this long, I can wait a bit longer. There is nothing the others offer other than some random app we all think we need, but don't. This isn't a money issue. It's what's in it for me in the long run. If I abandon this now, I cut off the single most important part of the unified os equation and that to me is more important than some bank or social app. This is what some of you don't get. If you're just wanting to do what's popular, just go. Why debate it? Go give your money away to the other side. Keep supporting the fragmentation that is mobile and pc and giving them the right to sell $700 giant ipads that don't play well with the desktop and suck as a hybrid.

Cheeky Ghosty

Jul 23, 2013
Visit site
You do want another brand. Go.

I don't know why some of you even bother arguing your point to leave. Just do it. You obviously have a good enough reason or reasons.

Yes, it's true. Some apps aren't available. I have this same problem with a radar app only available on Android. So, I bought a used LGG3 to mirror to my Appradio 3 in the car. Bad esn and cheap. No need for activation because I have no intention of using it as a daily phone.

Just because it has an app or apps I need isn't good enough for me to leave the platform. I started this journey since WP7 and have been waiting for this whole unified thing to happen and now that it has, you're damn right i'm still in because it's still going to be the best universal os for everything. No Galaxy S Tab, Pixel, giant Ipad is going to give the same experience I get with my SP3 and pc running 10.

I've waited this long, I can wait a bit longer. There is nothing the others offer other than some random app we all think we need, but don't. This isn't a money issue. It's what's in it for me in the long run. If I abandon this now, I cut off the single most important part of the unified os equation and that to me is more important than some bank or social app. This is what some of you don't get. If you're just wanting to do what's popular, just go. Why debate it? Go give your money away to the other side. Keep supporting the fragmentation that is mobile and pc and giving them the right to sell $700 giant ipads that don't play well with the desktop and suck as a hybrid.

So you're admiting to carrying two phones to do the job that one phone can do just for the sake of not giving up on a platform.....

A platform that has given up on you. Customers of one of my apps lost their licenses thus right to download my app on their new phones or if they restored their phone.

Microsoft's response was that the issue is fixed in Windows 10 so it doesn't matter. This was back in I think April this year? They ditched Windows Phone 8.1 before Windows 10 Mobile even became semi useable.

As Tim Cook said I think it was yesterday, havingone OS in all devices is futule. He is not wrong. Look at Windows 10 on the PC. Just because it has huge download stats doean't make it a success. Windows 10 on the desktop is a lemon. It crashes, it loses tiles, it fails to install and it looks downright silly with it's thin icons and stuff.

They are hard up getting the desktop version of Windows to run in this "unified" model let alone the phone as well. Look at even the latest build of W10M it is barely useable. It's hard to see how it is going to be functional come a month.....

There is plenty to debate about, Microsoft are killing their platform and it's because people like you are telling them how fantastic it is and then anyone who does anytjing more than use facebook on it is realising that it sucks and shouldn't be used.

EMINENT 1

Mar 29, 2012
Visit site
So you're admiting to carrying two phones to do the job that one phone can do just for the sake of not giving up on a platform.....

A platform that has given up on you. Customers of one of my apps lost their licenses thus right to download my app on their new phones or if they restored their phone.

Microsoft's response was that the issue is fixed in Windows 10 so it doesn't matter. This was back in I think April this year? They ditched Windows Phone 8.1 before Windows 10 Mobile even became semi useable.

As Tim Cook said I think it was yesterday, havingone OS in all devices is futule. He is not wrong. Look at Windows 10 on the PC. Just because it has huge download stats doean't make it a success. Windows 10 on the desktop is a lemon. It crashes, it loses tiles, it fails to install and it looks downright silly with it's thin icons and stuff.

They are hard up getting the desktop version of Windows to run in this "unified" model let alone the phone as well. Look at even the latest build of W10M it is barely useable. It's hard to see how it is going to be functional come a month.....

There is plenty to debate about, Microsoft are killing their platform and it's because people like you are telling them how fantastic it is and then anyone who does anytjing more than use facebook on it is realising that it sucks and shouldn't be used.

I don't "carry" anything but my 830. The G3 sits in my glovebox for that one task.

This is because as many apps as there are, I still prefer the vision of one os. Nothing about Android will give me the same experience across an Android pc. Don't try to shove drivel about how 10 is bad. I have it on my SP3 and desktop and they're both working great. So much that there is nothing from Android/IOS that can touch Surface and there's no way i'm using their phone just to get a disjointed experience that IOS and OSX offers or even a fragmented experience with Windows and iphone/android. Not everyone shares the same view or experience as you.

Oct 1, 2015
Visit site
I have WM10 preview on my 1520 and is using it everyday. Yes it had its problems in the beginning but working fine now. I am a Business owner who needs to be in contact. Had an Android phone and since I moved my business onto Off 365 it just became a mess to try and have e mails and calendar sync all the time. Since I moved to Lumia that problem immediately disappeared. So I have already combined my Android tablet and Laptop for SP3. What a pleasure now. Whether I access my e mail via internet, phone, SP3 it is always synced.

I do agree that Continuum for now will be limited not because of the idea of it but due to the OS on phones still a partial OS which will not provide full functionality as on a PC. Yet even before Continuum was introduced companies have already experimented with the idea where the phone is used to dock with a tablet, Laptop or Desktop system where the phone remained the system just you chose which size screen you want to use. But I will upgrade to Lumia 950xl as soon as it arrives in South Africa and test Continuum for myself. Not sure but I believe I would not even need the base station to link Phone through Continuum as I am already projecting my phone to a tv screen using the Microsoft adaptor on a HDMI port.

With smart phones as good as if not better than low to middle level PC's what is the need to have a phone, tablet, Laptop and even a desktop?

Personally I will seriously consider a 7 inch Lumia phone with a full W10 operating system as my only device with the ability to connect to a bigger screen, keyboard and mouse.

What a pleasure will it be to only have one device.

RayWP7

Dec 10, 2010
Visit site
Your dilemma is understandable. I've been with WP since Samsung Focus first debuted. Like you, I've owned several handsets in the WP system. I haven't bothered to leave in spite of some nifty things I can do with other phones due to their popularity. Frankly, all of the use cases you listed don't really apply to me so I am going to offer my observation and opinion only. iOS and Android will always be adopted first in the market place and therefore receive attention first. This is just a matter of math. No one out there is doing anything just for fun. Some do, of course, but most do not. Programmers and their funding studios have a purpose and it's to make money. Supporting the largest community of users makes sense. Only greater adoption of Microsoft platform can change that. So. We're left with the dilemma. On the one hand, if you leave, you can do stuff you want to do that you think you should be able to do. That's a fair proposition - in a world of competition this is how it should work. On the other hand, if you leave, you work against yourself. You can't want WP to be supported by new and cool stuff if it doesn't grow enough for OEMs and developers to support it. If more people leave than join, then the problem will never go away; in fact, it may hasten the platform's demise no matter what Microsoft says their commitment might be. In the USA, we have another more example that may help. Wal-Mart vs local merchants. People claim Wal-Mart is big-bad-and-evil, yet they shop there rather than with their local merchants. Sure their prices are cheap, selection is vast, quality dubious, provide cheap jobs, and they are nearly ubiquitous ... but they have displaced and are displacing local merchants and due to the product profile tend to favor foreign (manufacturing) jobs and products over domestic. For me, not-supporting Wal-Mart is a values proposition. I don't shop there if I can avoid it. The issue is not unlike my support of Microsoft (though admittedly its markedly less controversial). I need to resist being forced into "top 2" because options are important. But, as others have said, at least Microsoft is providing customers options by supporting their software on competing platforms. You may get the best of both worlds. Pick what is most important to you and go with it. I believe in Microsoft's vision. Their software has provided me with a stable and long term career (I'm a Microsoft SQL Server DBA), I've used their software my entire life, I love my XBO, and so I'm sticking with the business and it's platform as a show of solidarity. I also make my family do the same (since I pay the bills). I evangelize and educate my friends and coworkers when they ask my what I have in my hand and am asked why not iPhone. If WP fails, well, then I gave it my go AND enjoyed an alternative for several years. While my live doesn't revolve around mobile, it is very important. Since I'm resistant to social trend and media, I have a lot more independence. I can live with anything as a tech person, but I have a preference and baring any forced requirements (say, by employer, or WP going away) I think I'm fine with what I am supporting. Just remember, the community must grow before anything will really change. Microsoft, in releasing W10M and Flagships, will have done their part. Marketing only matters so much. Word-of-mouth is golden and the social aspect to this cannot be ignored. It is our responsibility. We need to help make it cool if we really care about this, not give up just because the platform isn't hasn't yet achieved (by whatever degree is important to you) feature parity.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss