I want a Lumia 950XL but each time i miss out on a app do i want another brand

Guitarpik

Oct 6, 2012
Visit site
Ok guys, I'm in line about to pick up a 6S Plus. Any one have anything to change my mind? Please!? HELP!

Lol I'm in the same boat. I just reserved a 6S+ and I hate apple and really like windows phones. Just can't get over the app issue. I'm gonna sit here for the next 4 hours wracking my brain whether I should go pick up that iPhone or not. Gah this sucks.

Cheeky Ghosty

Jul 23, 2013
Visit site
Lol I'm in the same boat. I just reserved a 6S+ and I hate apple and really like windows phones. Just can't get over the app issue. I'm gonna sit here for the next 4 hours wracking my brain whether I should go pick up that iPhone or not. Gah this sucks.

Get the iPhone as long as you're ok with a phone that big you'll love it!

Guitarpik

Oct 6, 2012
Visit site
I had a 1520 which I loved so size isn't going to be an issue.

I didnt go pick it up today. I'm going to wait until the event at least.

Cheeky Ghosty

Jul 23, 2013
Visit site
I had a 1520 which I loved so size isn't going to be an issue.

I didnt go pick it up today. I'm going to wait until the event at least.

Yea that sounds reasonable. Man the 950 and 950XL look yuck. Guess Microsoft didn't keep Nokia designers? The 930 with its alloy chasis woth Plastic back was really good. These mew ones all plastic not so much.

Guitarpik

Oct 6, 2012
Visit site
Yea that sounds reasonable. Man the 950 and 950XL look yuck. Guess Microsoft didn't keep Nokia designers? The 930 with its alloy chasis woth Plastic back was really good. These mew ones all plastic not so much.
honestly for me, I don't care so much how the actual phone looks. I closely inspected my moms 6+ last night and it's a beautiful phone. But it's what's inside that counts more to me.

maevinj

Jun 19, 2013
Visit site

You'll be back.. I'm back after a year with the iPhone 6+. I realized the apps weren't that important to me. OS functionality is important. The only one I really really miss is the Target Cartwheel, but that's why I make sure to take the wife with me and her phone when I go to target now.

Cheeky Ghosty

Jul 23, 2013
Visit site
You'll be back.. I'm back after a year with the iPhone 6+. I realized the apps weren't that important to me. OS functionality is important. The only one I really really miss is the Target Cartwheel, but that's why I make sure to take the wife with me and her phone when I go to target now.

Out of interest, what OS functionality did you miss on the iPhone that is on WP?

syspry

May 5, 2015
Visit site
Exactly. The problem with the app gap is not just the missing top Apps like Clash of Clans, Game of War or Snapchat but more about the latest apps that are either local (local newspaper or bank) or are part of a new type of app (eg Periscope). I think nows a great time to jump ship for a year, check out Win10m on a metal based premium Intel device next year? As long as we still use MS Apps all is good anyway according to the CEO...
Bingo. It's not just the app gap although this has and will continue to be wp Achilles heel for the foreseeable future. It's features that attract consumers as well. 3D touch is cool and developers will get on board fast. Google Now on Tap is cool. Dedicated coprocessors for handling sensor related tasks are great. MS's counter offer to these is continuum. Not being a traveling businessmen, I could care less about tethering my phone to PC peripherals and using it as one. Apple and Google get what mobile actually means, whereas MS think it means better ways to tether a phone.

Unresolvable app gap problem and lack of vision = no incentive to buy a WP.

Last edited:

Joe Acerbic

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
MS's counter offer to these is continuum. Not being a traveling businessmen, I could care less about docking my phone into PC's. Apple and Google get what mobile actually means, whereas MS think it means better ways to tether a phone to a PC.
You think continuum is that? Well then everybody should obviously heed your wisdom about these things. :)

syspry

May 5, 2015
Visit site
You think continuum is that? Well then everybody should obviously heed your wisdom about these things. :)
OK not really. I worded in a vague manner so I'll edit and clarify. Continuum will enable you to turn your smartphone into a PC. It will allow you to connect a keyboard, mouse, and monitor to your phone and essentially operate it as you would a Windows 10 computer.

My point remains, you get to tether your phone to PC peripherals. Whoop-de-doo. As I said earlier, MS doesn't get the meaning of mobile and still thinks it means tethering. I used to do that too... In 2011. This is Nadella's big answer to Apple and Google? May as well just bring Balmer back.

Joe Acerbic

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site

syspry

May 5, 2015
Visit site
A bit of a strange argument when Continuum is an additional option on top of normal phone use. But pray tell, what is this mystical meaning then that MS doesn't get? Can it be revealed to mortals?

Apropos about bringing Ballmer back: This 2012 comic predicted Apple would 'invent' the Surface Pro in 2015 | Cult of Mac
Cool story, I'll buy the "when WP succeeded" edition whenever that happens. Talk to me then. Otherwise the state of WP provides a way better argument to your POV than I ever could.

Cheeky Ghosty

Jul 23, 2013
Visit site
Bingo. It's not just the app gap although this has and will continue to be wp Achilles heel for the foreseeable future. It's features that attract consumers as well. 3D touch is cool and developers will get on board fast. Google Now on Tap is cool. Dedicated coprocessors for handling sensor related tasks are great. MS's counter offer to these is continuum. Not being a traveling businessmen, I could care less about tethering my phone to PC peripherals and using it as one. Apple and Google get what mobile actually means, whereas MS think it means better ways to tether a phone.

Yea I feel the same about Continuum. Also same thing with Windows 10 and how they bang on about streaming your Xbox to the PC. Guess what, I bought an Xbox so I could crash in front of the telly and play stuff. If I wanted to play games on my PC I'd have bought a gaming PC, not stream a lower resolution to my PC......big wow..... It became aparant to me a while ago that Microsoft has zero knowledge on real world useage scenarios beyond office products. The ribbon was revolutionary. Now they think you don't even use facebook and if you do you'll accept half the experince....pffft Apple definitely leads the way in this regard. Things like AirDrop etc. show real foresight on how people would like to use devices.

Joe Acerbic

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
On further thought... not being a traveling businessman but an occasionally traveling everyman, I think I'd love to carry only the phone as my traveling computer and connect it to a bigger display and keyboard at my destination, or use a Continuum tablet or laptop which are nothing but a display, battery and a slot for the phone and which I could leave in the hotel room when going out, worrying a lot less than if it were a full laptop or tablet with all my data on it. You know, Continuum just may be the future of mobility. In three years when Apple invents it, you'll think it's genius.

Cheeky Ghosty

Jul 23, 2013
Visit site

On further thought... not being a traveling businessman but an occasionally traveling everyman, I think I'd love to carry only the phone as my traveling computer and connect it to a bigger display and keyboard at my destination, or use a Continuum tablet or laptop which are nothing but a display, battery and a slot for the phone and which I could leave in the hotel room when going out, worrying a lot less than if it were a full laptop or tablet with all my data on it. You know, Continuum just may be the future of mobility. In three years when Apple invents it, you'll think it's genius.

You do realise MSFT did not invent continuum right? Ubuntu phone wanted to do this too. It wasn't genius then and it's still not genius. It's ok to have as an add on, but you wouldn't use it to promote the platform to the masses because genuinely no one is all that enthused about it except maybe 3 people on these forums.

Joe Acerbic

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Ubuntu phone wanted to do this too ... you wouldn't use it to promote the platform to the masses because genuinely no one is all that enthused about it except maybe 3 people on these forums.
1) Wanting to do something and doing it are different things, and MS isn't claiming to have invented it. Apple will, and the fanbois will believe it.
2) Please tell how the masses could possibly be enthused about something before they know about it at all? Is it used to promote the platform to the masses? I wouldn't exactly call the few geek conference demos that.

Cheeky Ghosty

Jul 23, 2013
Visit site

1) Wanting to do something and doing it are different things, and MS isn't claiming to have invented it. Apple will, and the fanbois will believe it.
2) Please tell how the masses could possibly be enthused about something before they know about it at all? Is it used to promote the platform to the masses? I wouldn't exactly call the few geek conference demos that.

Right, they soon realised it wasn't worth doing.

Well it is the only thing W10M does that WP8.1 doesn't. The only people that use WP are those exact geeks. Else it's just someone that bought inventory overstock and they don't know anything about anything anyway.

syspry

May 5, 2015
Visit site
AirDrop, really? :) Yet another incrementally less clunky workaround to the problems stemming from poor cripple iOS not having a file system is what people really want? ROTFLMAO.
You're seriously targeting the phone with nearly 2 billion active users and massive app developer support as the object of your derision? That's... an interesting approach. I guess.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss