Lumia 950 XL render with specs (reupload)

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
Interesting. I've never tried Sketchup.

How would you compare its workflow to something like 3DS Max or Maya? (or anything else you may have used in school)

Geo Hutchings

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
Interesting. I've never tried Sketchup.

How would you compare its workflow to something like 3DS Max or Maya? (or anything else you may have used in school)

All I can say it faster, less limiting, and give you the freedom just build with no hidden tools, it has a workshop for downloading tons of new tools or buying them, as sketch uses ruby for coding, you could make your self a tool. Its limited are endless, I hate 3DS Max with a passion, I would take MODO or sketchup over it any day XD

illy khan

Sep 24, 2015
Visit site
I hope this design to stay only rendered and all leaks to be false.
This design is so ugly, that even make me leave windows eco system.
I like windows, but this hump on the back with this plastic body and low screen to body ratio is awful.
i own lumia 1020 and lumia 930.
On first i hate the hump on the back. On the second, missing glance screen without even single led light to notify for missed calls, messages etc.
Why they must make such ugly design? even Chinese makers already deliver nice metal slim phones like Huawei P8.
I do not want to be 6.4mm thick, can be even 8 or 8.5mm, but without this protruding camera module.
I yes, i do not want plastic or poly-carbonate body because 950 must be flagship device. And when it comes to flagship i do not speak only for specs. It must be also prestige device. Does 950 or 950XL looks like a prestige or flagship device?
Instead to evolve 930 design, they evolve 830!
I'm very, very dissapointed and hope REALLY all leaks to be false.

Zachary Boddy

Staff member
Aug 3, 2014
www.windowscentral.com
I hope this design to stay only rendered and all leaks to be false.
This design is so ugly, that even make me leave windows eco system.
I like windows, but this hump on the back with this plastic body and low screen to body ratio is awful.
i own lumia 1020 and lumia 930.
On first i hate the hump on the back. On the second, missing glance screen without even single led light to notify for missed calls, messages etc.
Why they must make such ugly design? even Chinese makers already deliver nice metal slim phones like Huawei P8.
I do not want to be 6.4mm thick, can be even 8 or 8.5mm, but without this protruding camera module.
I yes, i do not want plastic or poly-carbonate body because 950 must be flagship device. And when it comes to flagship i do not speak only for specs. It must be also prestige device. Does 950 or 950XL looks like a prestige or flagship device?
Instead to evolve 930 design, they evolve 830!
I'm very, very dissapointed and hope REALLY all leaks to be false.
To each their own. Have fun with your opinion and your Android, I suppose. I do not think it looks like a bad device and I do not understand why all flagship devices must be metal. Entirely metal devices are hard, cold, and lifeless. If you combine a metal frame with a polycarbonate back like the Lumia 930 or Lumia 830 you get the warmth, stability, and premium feel of both worlds. All polycarbonate is warm, colorful, and if you're using really nice polycarbonate (like Lumias do) then it's just lovely. The camera hump isn't a problem at all I happen to enjoy it. You using the Lumia 1020 as a comparison is like saying you don't like cats because lions are too big for you.
Also, the Lumia 930 and 830 both have aluminum frames and polycarbonate back. In some ways the Lumia 830 is an upgrade over the Lumia 930 with Glance, microSD and removable battery. How is the 950/XL an evolution of the Lumia 830?

illy khan

Sep 24, 2015
Visit site
The hump on the back is like 830, i hope if you're not just a fan to admit that.
I still believe that Microsft can do better than plastic.
Dude, are you really like this design?!? It is horrible! This even looks cheap.
And do not tell that the hump is fun. On lumia 1020 is a pain and so uncomfortably.

Just to clarify: I am not Android or iPhone fan. I am a windows phone user and I am not blind. My spare device, exept both lumias is Nokia 808, but is too outdated now.

Slovenix

Feb 24, 2014
Visit site
How would you compare 3DS Max to AutoCAD? (in case you also use it). As you can do exactly the same thing with AutoCAD I have a hard time even trying other software :D.

Zachary Boddy

Staff member
Aug 3, 2014
www.windowscentral.com
The hump on the back is like 830, i hope if you're not just a fan to admit that.
I still believe that Microsft can do better than plastic.
Dude, are you really like this design?!? It is horrible! This even looks cheap.
And do not tell that the hump is fun. On lumia 1020 is a pain and so uncomfortably.

Just to clarify: I am not Android or iPhone fan. I am a windows phone user and I am not blind. My spare device, exept both lumias is Nokia 808, but is too outdated now.

The Lumia 830's hump is very faint and vastly ergonomically superior to the Lumia 1020. You barely notice it's there and the phone barely shakes when placed on a table and purposely rocked.
The Lumia 1020 is not a fair comparison whatsoever. It's far larger camera wise in every single way. Not only is the phone itself a brick, but the screen is smaller making the camera housing seem even larger in comparison. It has a far larger sensor, a xenon flash, etc. Besides, it was never ergonomic, which was my number one complaint about the phone (the second being no microSD). The 950 XL will be thinner, have a much larger diagonal, a smaller camera housing, and a shallower hump.
And yes, I happen to like this design. It's not the most beautiful phone I've ever seen and there are some definite changes I would've made like dual front-facing speakers, a magnesium frame, and thinner side bezels. But it's not terrible and it certainly looks better than the Galaxy S6 (just by convention of not having that horrid glass back—which feels horrible in hand by the way and is very disappointing). No, maybe it doesn't quite compare to a HTC One M device but it's not ugly in my opinion. I'd be proud to carry it.

Last edited:

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
How would you compare 3DS Max to AutoCAD? (in case you also use it). As you can do exactly the same thing with AutoCAD I have a hard time even trying other software :D.

Completely different kind of software.

Autocad is basically 3D blueprinting. 3DS Max is a full 3D creation suite.

Slovenix

Feb 24, 2014
Visit site
Completely different kind of software.

Autocad is basically 3D blueprinting. 3DS Max is a full 3D creation suite.

Hmm yes yes, but it still has capabilities to basically create the same thing (like seen in this render) so it's no just for drawing and such. When I tell my friends who uses SolidWorks (which is also primarily for drawing) they look at me with big confused eyes. But I guess I should give it a try. I just hope the commands are pretty much the same as its both from Autodesk :p

Last edited:

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
Hmm yes yes, but it still has capabilities to basically create the same thing (like seen in this render) so it's no just for drawing and such. When I tell my friends who uses SolidWorks (which is also primarily for drawing) they look at me with big confused eyes. But I guess I should give it a try. I just hope the commands are pretty much the same as its both from Autodesk :p

I haven't used MAX or Autocad for about 15 yrs (Im mainly a Maya user), but from what I recall they are very different in how you work with them. AutoCAD had a lot of keyboard input and exact measurements and angles. MAX can snap to specific sizes and coordinates, but is more interactive. With MAX you'll mainly be estimating and working visually. AutoCAD will be more working more technically with a visual element.

AutoCAD also isn't mean for rendering. Visualizations are primarily exported to other software where materials are added and renders created.

Slovenix

Feb 24, 2014
Visit site
I haven't used MAX or Autocad for about 15 yrs (Im mainly a Maya user), but from what I recall they are very different in how you work with them. AutoCAD had a lot of keyboard input and exact measurements and angles. MAX can snap to specific sizes and coordinates, but is more interactive. With MAX you'll mainly be estimating and working visually. AutoCAD will be more working more technically with a visual element.

AutoCAD also isn't mean for rendering. Visualizations are primarily exported to other software where materials are added and renders created.

Thanks. I also had conversation about this yesterday. It seems like AutoCAD suites me more. I like my work to be precise and with specific dimensions that can be made in real life. I know that it might be harder to create things but I like challenges :) and yes of course I tend to export it to other software although AutoCAD evolved.

aXross

Jun 20, 2014
Visit site
I don't think the battery will be that narrow though, I think it will be wide one that occupies the space across. That is the reason why the speaker is at the top in the first place, to fit most components on there and make the device thinner. Also I believe that the whole back cover is removable, nothing is left on the sides. So even the buttons are part of the cover when removed. Just my suggestions. ;)

This is also shows that they should really give it a color options, not just black and white.

Geo Hutchings

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
Thanks. I also had conversation about this yesterday. It seems like AutoCAD suites me more. I like my work to be precise and with specific dimensions that can be made in real life. I know that it might be harder to create things but I like challenges :) and yes of course I tend to export it to other software although AutoCAD evolved.

Sketchup can do precise and with specific dimensions, but super fast

Slovenix

Feb 24, 2014
Visit site
Sketchup can do precise and with specific dimensions, but super fast

I'll give it a try again, I used both in school, thought I always preferred AutoCAD :) I mean, it should be good enough for quick concepts and such :) so when I get it right I'd continue my work in AutoCAd.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BevitalGlucoPremium