Lumia 950 XL Design vs. Lumia 1520 Design

Indistinguishable

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
What are your thoughts on the design of the Lumia 950 XL vs. the design of the Lumia 1520? Would you have rather they kept the design of the 1520 with the updated parts/specs of the 950 XL?

talkman-leak.jpglumia-1520.jpg

Pete

Retired Moderator
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I think people are just assuming that these renders are showing exactly how the phones will look. It's not really occurred to anyone that this might not be the case and these could turn out to be concepts or illustrative artwork.

I know someone who is testing these devices and he doesn't know what they look like (beyond the screen and button placement). Prototype devices are always obscured by glued rubber cases, so the design can't be seen. The actual case design probably isn't finalised by the time the internals are going through testing.

I don't think it's realistic to make judgements based on this artwork and would rather wait for the official announcement.

Indistinguishable

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
I think people are just assuming that these renders are showing exactly how the phones will look. It's not really occurred to anyone that this might not be the case and these could turn out to be concepts or illustrative artwork.

I know someone who is testing these devices and he doesn't know what they look like (beyond the screen and button placement). Prototype devices are always obscured by glued rubber cases, so the design can't be seen. The actual case design probably isn't finalised by the time the internals are going through testing.

I don't think it's realistic to make judgements based on this artwork and would rather wait for the official announcement.

That's fine. But we know the general design of the phone. There might be certain aspects that look different in person. But the general design of the phone is not going to change.

keremzaglul

Feb 11, 2014
Visit site
After the latest leaks from an internal presentation I believe these are going to be the devices that will be launched on October 6th.

I would of course not want Microsoft to stick on the same exact design of Lumia 1520 but I believe it was a way more sophisticated design that was overriding the low value of polycarbonate material and taking the handset to a much more flagship level. This is what is missing in the new devices I believe.

Still we should wait 10 more days to see the actual launch. Hope I will be wrong.

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
I personally love the 1520 design. Had one for nearly two years. But the new phones remind me of the 640xl, which I now on and I honestly think it and these based on the renders are the best designed Lumia's to date.

henocksandy

Jan 26, 2014
Visit site
I like the 640xl design... I kinda didn't like it in the pictures, but it was really good when i bought it. In one point of view, it does not damage in the edges like my 1020, but i like the 1020 design.

Zippier

Nov 20, 2013
Visit site
Personally, I like the design of the 950 and 950XL. I think they are sleek and modern. However, the renders are just that, renders so they tend to look a little cartoon-ish in my opinion making it hard to tell.

I'm biased, because I own one, but I think they should have evolved the Icon design. I think it's a perfect combination of metal and polycarbonate yet achieving that high end look so many of us desire. In addition the aluminum edge could be matched in color to the backing.

Regardless, I'll have to see it in additional promotional pieces and in person before I know for sure.

freddiet22

Jan 7, 2015
Visit site
I feel ya I love my 1520, now if i had the 830 icon or some other phone would switch , but the only difference is 16GB more storage 1 gb more of ram better processor and smaller screen I'll wait fro the sruface phone

Aldrich Uyliong

Mar 29, 2015
Visit site
Both of these phones need a metal chassis/body. Preferably something premium and exotic like magnesium. I still wish the Lumia 1520 was the Lumia 925 w/ flagship specs and 6 in screen and materials instead of colors for the backplate.

J4rrod

Sep 8, 2011
Visit site

No, these are definitely the real devices. Not only did the leak come from @evleaks, but the leaked slide showed this same design.

FaisalST32

Aug 10, 2014
Visit site
I wasn't a fan of on-screen keys when I had L520, but then I got a phone with on-screen keys (L730), and I don't mind them at all. They are actually kinda cool. Only annoyance is that when I have to press the back button while in a call, I sometimes end up pressing the 'end call' button.

Heron_Kusanagi

Feb 27, 2012
Visit site
Having used a 1520 for 18 months and counting, I know I need a replacement as its battery life is dying and phantom touches is getting pesky.

What's nice to know is how I didn't feel turned off by the design. Sure, it could use more of a fabula approach. But I will take it for the removable battery and just a native W10 experience.

TrueMetalGeek

Feb 14, 2014
Visit site
The ring around the camera on the 650 is sorta gay but the 640XL camera looks fine to me.
It will be cool to finally have something to upgrade to that is actually an UPGRADE from the 1520 rather than a downgrade. :)

GSOgymrat

May 15, 2012
Visit site
I loved the 1520 but having played with the 950 XL in the store I prefer the 950 XL. It is easier to hold, the battery is removable and the back can be swapped out for different looks.

Temur Ahmed

Oct 26, 2015
Visit site
i would like to suggest the if not mircrosoft then some other company would make a case for lumia 950 xl in the shape of nokia lumia 1520 as in when holding the lumia 950 xl it would feel like we were holding a lumia 1520 thank you.

3earnhardt3

Oct 19, 2012
Visit site
I prefer the look of the 1520. With that said, the 950/xl is very much like the Ativ SE, which is an extremely comfortable phone to hold. Haven't held the 950/xl yet, but it would be a tough call for me. I like being able to see the back color on the front of the phone, which is why I love the corners on the 1520.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss