01-02-2016 03:50 AM
107 1234 ...
tools
    I'm saying I can swipe up and hide navigation bar on my 640. The navigation bar is there if you want it so yes present as a default, but you can hide them if you want by swiping up. Swipe up again and it reappears.
    10-01-2015 11:56 AM
    I claimed I didn't like them as well, however I didn't have a phone that used them. When my 930 broke and I had to use a 635 for awhile I actually changed my tune once I realized they got rid of accidental button presses while playing games/viewing video. Now I'm a fan of them. They're pretty customizable too. Look for the positive bro. :)
    z8er likes this.
    10-01-2015 12:00 PM
    Once you use double tap between the buttons in order to lock the device, then you'll be stuck ;)
    It is as addictive as the double tap to wake!

Also the title of this post is like the worst..
    HEY! HEY! LOOK AT MEE, I DON'T LIKE ON SCREEN BUTTOOOONS!!
    I'm pretty much giving on-screen buttons a chance because of this. Aesthetically and functionality, I still have my reservations. But, I got my mom a 640XL and love using double tap to lock. It can make for easy one-handed use from my desk at work.
    10-01-2015 12:30 PM
    Meh get with the times. Most android devices use on-screen. You can go to Apple, they have a physical button.
    10-01-2015 02:11 PM
    Jesus this fashion issue is really getting out of hand isn't it?

Look, like what you like, don't what you don't, if Microsoft is getting the picture that we want quality screens that don't burn the battery, they'll go the extra mile to blend in the menu keys on-interface. Plus you can hide them so who cares?

You people complain about having OEMs not taking advantage of their design philosophy, but also do it when they are? Huh. Backwards indeed.
    10-01-2015 02:27 PM
    Two things here. First, can the OP provide a source for his "950 will cost $838" comment?
    Second, with capacitive buttons, I can summon Cortana while under lock screen. Can I still do that with on screen buttons?
    10-01-2015 02:54 PM
    On-screen buttons work better in practise, there have been countless times when I've taken a photo and handed it over to people who wanted to have a look. Inevitably they always somehow press the search button lol.. "why do you want me to use bing?" "No, I want to see the photo" .

It's more common now as Microsoft in their infinite wisdom removed the preview button in the camera app.
    This what I do now:
    1. unlock the phone (if the photo is taken when 920 is locked)
    2. open the last photo
    3. have the screen rotate the photo so the search button is at the bottom on my left hand.
    4. hand the phone over or show it myself.

{for the sticklers out there the above only takes a few seconds}
    This way the accidently search button press is reduced whereas with on-screen buttons we don't have this issue as the buttons can be hidden.
    10-01-2015 03:11 PM
    On-screen buttons:
    - rotate when you rotate the phone
    - could be rearranged or modified by software
    - can be hidden

Capacitive buttons can't do any of this.
    Krystianpants likes this.
    10-01-2015 03:19 PM
    On-screen buttons by themselves are not a deal breaker for me but they do add to the overall cheapness and poorly thought out design put into these new "high end flagship" devices. I'm personally more disappointed in the recycled 640 soap dish design and the bizarre button config on the 950XL. What were they smoking when they came up with that?

at those that say capacitive buttons have blinded them in the dark. That's really stretching it.

"You can hide them!"

I don't need to hide capacitive buttons.

"They can rotate!"

I agree. That's nice.

"They look better than capacitive buttons!"

Please put down the crack pipe.
    10-01-2015 05:36 PM
    Two things here. First, can the OP provide a source for his "950 will cost $838" comment?
    Second, with capacitive buttons, I can summon Cortana while under lock screen. Can I still do that with on screen buttons?
    Don't know about the first one but as for the second, yes. I have done it by accident lol
    wpfan86 and Jack Neill like this.
    10-01-2015 06:39 PM
    I came from capacitive button and I like on screen better. It's more practical no accidentally touch. Rotated with the screen , with amoled screen the black is very black and u won't notice it's on screen. But just don't make it similar to 735, unnecessary space below the lcd screen. It used to be solution for cheaper device. Then it become main preference as its more practical. I don't see any disadvantage of it anyway. But of course please reduce the prices.
    10-02-2015 01:36 AM
    Capacitive is miles better. I prefer my buttons to be there always instead of having to swipe for them and the swipe em away.

On screen buttons take up screens space
    and personally they look cheap to me
    10-02-2015 02:12 AM
    Am i the only one who has 0 complaints regarding accidental touch with capacitive buttons? Never had this issue lol
    10-02-2015 06:34 AM
    I prefer capacitive buttons. It would be nice if they did it like the One Plus phones that can do either.
    10-02-2015 08:44 AM
    Why do phones have onscreen buttons? Why does Apple still have one home button on the iPhone? It's all about the market(s) they cater to and what they want to do with the hardware. Apple has evolved the home button from more than just a way to quickly exit applications. Onscreen buttons, when used to increase screen size, are great at doing just that. The idea would be that you have thinner bezels.

The Lumia 830 is a prime example of where production issues can be a nightmare when it comes to designated buttons. My search button failed to work properly on numerous occasions. I couldn't use a screen protector because of this. And no, based on how it was sourced I didn't have the option to exchange the device.
    xandros9 likes this.
    10-02-2015 11:10 AM
    I prefer the on screen buttons
    z8er and libra89 like this.
    10-02-2015 11:24 AM
    I thought on screen button was a genius move. You could actually "hide" it. for a bigger screen view.
    z8er and libra89 like this.
    10-02-2015 12:36 PM
    I also didn't like onscreen buttons until I had to get a 640. I guess you don't really understand until you start using them. For gaming it's so much better. The biggest thing is letting somebody use your phone to take photo though! Who hasn't had someone take their phone to take a photo then accidentally press the search button, and be like "Oh, oops, I don't know where the camera went."
    libra89 and tropolite like this.
    10-02-2015 01:09 PM
    I feel like many people are defending them only because that's what Microsoft chose to go with. If they had retained capacitive buttons, everyone would be saying "they're the best type."
    I'm trying not to defend them, but i have used them on a 640xl and I do like them over the capacitve buttons that are on my lumia 830.

however...

I wish the capacative buttons were actually more like the buttons on iphone or samsung, that are an actual button, and not just an extension of the screen. it's my one gripe for the hardware Nokia was producing.
    AndyM72 likes this.
    10-02-2015 02:46 PM
    On-screen buttons by themselves are not a deal breaker for me but they do add to the overall cheapness and poorly thought out design put into these new "high end flagship" devices. I'm personally more disappointed in the recycled 640 soap dish design and the bizarre button config on the 950XL. What were they smoking when they came up with that?

at those that say capacitive buttons have blinded them in the dark. That's really stretching it.

"You can hide them!"

I don't need to hide capacitive buttons.

"They can rotate!"

I agree. That's nice.

"They look better than capacitive buttons!"

Please put down the crack pipe.
    "They're cheaper and easier to develop."

Another affordable flagship on its way, yay! Heh heh.
    10-02-2015 03:12 PM
    i'm ok with the on screen buttons IF it looks like the hardware was designed for it or that the hardware took on screen buttons into consideration. if the on-screen buttons plus the bezel at the bottom looks cheap or like an after thought (i.e. giant black bar when the on screen buttons are active) or something, i'll pass and just move to android. tired of waiting for microsoft to get a flagship right.
    10-02-2015 04:27 PM
    I thought on screen button was a genius move. You could actually "hide" it. for a bigger screen view.
    This still doesn't make any sense. You already get the bigger screen view with capacitive buttons.
    fx747 likes this.
    10-02-2015 06:06 PM
    This still doesn't make any sense. You already get the bigger screen view with capacitive buttons.
    this does make sense from a platform unification standpoint. if you look at win10 for tablet right now, the taskbar/AKA buttons don't resemble win10 for phone at all. when redstone comes out, i expect windows 10 tablet mode's taskbar to actually resemble window 10's phone completely, along with the same functionality. you can't achieve this with capacitive buttons.
    10-02-2015 06:28 PM
    I didn't think I would prefer the on screen buttons, but after having the 640XL for about 2 months now, I love them. Definitely prefer them now to actual buttons for the reasons already mentioned here.
    tropolite and libra89 like this.
    10-02-2015 08:18 PM
    There won't be burn-ins.
    The button bar at the bottom of the screen auto hides. When you need to use them you swipe from the bottom up to reveal the buttons.

I personally like this better as it allows bigger screens and sleeker hardware (virtually all screen). When I measured my 1520 compared to the 950XL the screen is .3" smaller but the device itself is a much smaller device. I cannot wait!

If people are having issue with screen burn in they really need to look at how they use their lock screen timeouts and how they use their phone in general - burn in is really a non event, and has been for quite a while.

10-02-2015 09:32 PM
107 1234 ...