01-02-2016 03:50 AM
107 12345
tools
    Capacitive buttons add a significant amount of thickness to the phones...
    Really? The Samsung Galaxy S6 is too thick? 6.8 mm (0.27 in)
    I love physical buttons, won't buy a phone without it. And built-in fingerprint reader is another must from now on (works great on the S6).
    10-03-2015 05:51 AM
    I am with the OP, not buying any 'high end' Lumias if they come only with on-screen buttons.
    10-03-2015 06:30 AM
    Me too, its not a big deal to fuss about.
    xandros9 likes this.
    10-03-2015 07:07 AM
    I put up with real buttons when that's all there was. Now that they can eliminate them, I won't buy a phone that they chose to put them on. On screen is much better for all the reasons already posted.
    libra89, z8er, MikeSo and 1 others like this.
    10-03-2015 07:36 AM
    I'm with you on that.
    I'm sticking to my Lumia 1520, on-screen bottom is not for me for a flagship Windows Phone, it may look great on Android that doesn't mean it will look great on a Windows phone.

There's a lot of Android people who kept on asking Microsoft to put features on an Android on a Windows Phone, these people need to get lost.
    colinkiama likes this.
    10-03-2015 11:29 AM
    Has anyone even mentioned TRANSPARENT on screen buttons would be the best way to satisfy everyone :-)
    10-03-2015 02:33 PM
    I can understand the hate for on screen buttons. When I use my friend's 730, I'll be stuck for a second like "WHERE ARE THE CAPACITIVE BUTTONS? HOW TO GO BACK?". I use 1020 and I'm not fan of onscreen buttons too. But at the same time while gaming and doing some browsing I accidentally touch it. This may be irritating to many people, though it doesn't bother me much. But removing them completely is also not a great option, especially on a FLAGSHIP. They could have included settings to control them so people who doesn't like could turn off. Complaining about consuming space? C'mon look at SAMSUNG and I-Phone they are at the bottom, MSFT is not completely covering it with screen (I would have been happy if they did that) . And I'm sticking with my 1020 another year it can survive that long, not impressed with current Lumia flagship. They wont be cheap either, and what are they offering for that an IR scanner and Continnum. Really? no finger print sensor, and all plastic body. A huge ring around camera, even the Chinese have stopped doing that stuff. It looks like a mid/ low end device, don't tell me to put on a case i don't use one. And case manufacturers don't even make cool cases for lumia devices like they do for Apple.
    seq1 and JoyfullJuneBug like this.
    10-03-2015 02:43 PM
    Since playing with my mom's 640XL I'm ok with on screen buttons. Though I'm not sure if there's a way to dismiss them. Swiping up from the bottom can bring them up. I constantly hit the search button on my L1520 accidently in games or handing the phone to someone to show them a picture or what not. So I'm looking forward to no more accidental button pressing. However, only concern is the fact they're software reliant. Meaning if the OS, an app or anything else freezes or locks up I'd assume we'll have to do a battery pull or soft reset using buttons. But that's not a deal breaker anyway for me.
    Allan Cantillo M likes this.
    10-03-2015 03:06 PM
    I hate them but I need a new phone! Still not sure what phone I'll get =/
    10-03-2015 06:54 PM
    Capacitive buttons are basically just a cost reduction. They allow smaller, cheaper screens to be used.
    libra89 likes this.
    10-03-2015 07:46 PM
    Capacitive buttons are basically just a cost reduction. They allow smaller, cheaper screens to be used.
    Funnily enough the on-screen keys are also thought of a cost reducing measure.

(they also require fancier printing on the glass or a cutout depending on the device)
    10-04-2015 12:31 AM
    I just don't understand why they can't have both options for manufacturers to choose from. They like to make lives more difficult for the users, by eliminating things that THEY think are no longer needed, nor no longer useful to us. Because of this, I'm not going to buy any more Lumia phones. Instead I will buy my friends' 1520 for $290, which is brand new (except for a little chipped corner), and practically runs faster than the 640XL. I am going to enjoy this phone a whole lot more because it's 6", AND has capacitive buttons WHICH does not take 1 inch off the screen. The 950XL costs $838, and for that price you better get the screen real estate you PAID for. Well you are but with a huge hassle. I don't care if you say "just swipe it" and it will go away. Noooo, swiping it is the most cumbersome thing to do. Yes, I'm whining about it and complaining.. But come on.. for a flagship device, I better get a premium hardware experience, not some software junk we call on-screen buttons.

I get them though.. everyone knows that the Surface phone is imminent, so maybe that's why they're giving Lumias a lot less attention, and secretly working in their evil (I mean genius) basement and creating the masterpiece that we know as Surface Phone, which may come out in 2016!

[/endrant]
    Sooo many things wrong with this, but the main one being you think you know the price of the 950/XL.
    10-04-2015 03:25 AM
    More like so many things wrong with this thread. The fact that anyone would write a these phones off over on-screen buttons is completely ridiculous. We're arguing over half an inch of display space. Meanwhile, the buttons disappear. If you're bothered over something as insignificant as this buy an iPhone or GS6. I can't imagine how difficult every day purchases must be for some people.
    10-04-2015 12:05 PM
    I love onscreen buttons - to the extent that I won't buy devices that don't use software buttons. So I can understand it being a deal breaker for those with the opposite position.

sent via Nvidia Shield Tablet - Android Central Moderator.
    libra89 likes this.
    10-04-2015 12:13 PM
    They ain't so bad :).
    10-04-2015 09:37 PM
    I don't like on screen button, but if MS can offer a better camera and more interesting features I won't care about it that much.
    10-05-2015 06:52 AM
    i don't want to unlock my phone simply to speak to cortana. With hardware buttons, a simple double-tap and holding the search button will suffice. Now I have to unlock the phone and accurately press the small area of the screen. Very cumbersome. Only way this is good is of the iris-scanner which will fix this issue but, what about the other phones that don't have iris-scanner.

Very bad delegation on what gets what if you ask me.

PS. Whats up with removing hardware buttons for camera. We all joke about iphone only having one button, now it seems as though we're moving into that direction. Innovation MS, not copying someone else!!!!
    Last edited by Kamal Shakir; 10-05-2015 at 11:43 AM. Reason: Added Post Sentence.
    10-05-2015 11:41 AM
    Does Windows have features similar to smart unlock? Stays unlocked in specific locations, when near specific bluetooth connections, etc... The 950 and 950 XL appear to have a camera button. Many Android OEMs put in shortcuts to the camera, double press of power button, etc.
    10-05-2015 11:48 AM
    I came from capacitive button and I like on screen better. It's more practical no accidentally touch. Rotated with the screen , with amoled screen the black is very black and u won't notice it's on screen.
    The new lumias don't use amoled so you just shot yourself in the foot here
    10-05-2015 06:06 PM
    You're right, they are oleds, even worse, if possible
    10-05-2015 06:16 PM
    They have OLED screen, and the type of OLED called AMOLED.
    10-05-2015 06:21 PM
    Does Windows have features similar to smart unlock? Stays unlocked in specific locations, when near specific bluetooth connections, etc... The 950 and 950 XL appear to have a camera button. Many Android OEMs put in shortcuts to the camera, double press of power button, etc.
    My former LG Spirit didn't had camera button, but a long press on volume down button would launch camera. Don't care for camera button as long as it would be possible to do this onmy 735.
    10-05-2015 06:58 PM
    I do like the look of the capacitive buttons, but I always hit them when I played a game. Then you factor in that WP didn't like to resume games from where they were and that instead it closed it out and had to "relaunch".

I won't complain about on screen since I can see the benefit.
    10-06-2015 02:38 AM
    I do like the look of the capacitive buttons, but I always hit them when I played a game.
    I didn't have a lot of trouble with accidentally hitting the capacitive buttons, but what I didn't like was that they seemed to be always lit. It was kind of annoying when watching a video in the dark. It probably could have been fixed with software, but it wasn't.
    libra89 likes this.
    10-06-2015 08:02 AM
    Someone mentioned it briefly... Burn in. I fear and dread this with my soul.

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android
    P1ng0fDeath likes this.
    10-06-2015 12:40 PM
107 12345