On-Screen Buttons DEAL BREAKER! Not buying anymore Lumias!

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Capacitive buttons are basically just a cost reduction. They allow smaller, cheaper screens to be used.

Funnily enough the on-screen keys are also thought of a cost reducing measure.

(they also require fancier printing on the glass or a cutout depending on the device)

J4rrod

Sep 8, 2011
Visit site
I just don't understand why they can't have both options for manufacturers to choose from. They like to make lives more difficult for the users, by eliminating things that THEY think are no longer needed, nor no longer useful to us. Because of this, I'm not going to buy any more Lumia phones. Instead I will buy my friends' 1520 for $290, which is brand new (except for a little chipped corner), and practically runs faster than the 640XL. I am going to enjoy this phone a whole lot more because it's 6", AND has capacitive buttons WHICH does not take 1 inch off the screen. The 950XL costs $838, and for that price you better get the screen real estate you PAID for. Well you are but with a huge hassle. I don't care if you say "just swipe it" and it will go away. Noooo, swiping it is the most cumbersome thing to do. Yes, I'm whining about it and complaining.. But come on.. for a flagship device, I better get a premium hardware experience, not some software junk we call on-screen buttons.

I get them though.. everyone knows that the Surface phone is imminent, so maybe that's why they're giving Lumias a lot less attention, and secretly working in their evil (I mean genius) basement and creating the masterpiece that we know as Surface Phone, which may come out in 2016!

[/endrant]

Sooo many things wrong with this, but the main one being you think you know the price of the 950/XL.

Lundon44

Sep 6, 2012
Visit site
More like so many things wrong with this thread. The fact that anyone would write a these phones off over on-screen buttons is completely ridiculous. We're arguing over half an inch of display space. Meanwhile, the buttons disappear. If you're bothered over something as insignificant as this buy an iPhone or GS6. I can't imagine how difficult every day purchases must be for some people.

Aquila

Alienware Rogue
May 14, 2013
Visit site
I love onscreen buttons - to the extent that I won't buy devices that don't use software buttons. So I can understand it being a deal breaker for those with the opposite position.

sent via Nvidia Shield Tablet - Android Central Moderator.

xboxnerd

Sep 12, 2015
Visit site
I don't like on screen button, but if MS can offer a better camera and more interesting features I won't care about it that much.

Kamal Shakir

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
i don't want to unlock my phone simply to speak to cortana. With hardware buttons, a simple double-tap and holding the search button will suffice. Now I have to unlock the phone and accurately press the small area of the screen. Very cumbersome. Only way this is good is of the iris-scanner which will fix this issue but, what about the other phones that don't have iris-scanner.

Very bad delegation on what gets what if you ask me.

PS. Whats up with removing hardware buttons for camera. We all joke about iphone only having one button, now it seems as though we're moving into that direction. Innovation MS, not copying someone else!!!!

Last edited:

Aquila

Alienware Rogue
May 14, 2013
Visit site
Does Windows have features similar to smart unlock? Stays unlocked in specific locations, when near specific bluetooth connections, etc... The 950 and 950 XL appear to have a camera button. Many Android OEMs put in shortcuts to the camera, double press of power button, etc.

tmaier

May 5, 2015
Visit site
I came from capacitive button and I like on screen better. It's more practical no accidentally touch. Rotated with the screen , with amoled screen the black is very black and u won't notice it's on screen.

The new lumias don't use amoled so you just shot yourself in the foot here

Dusan Randj

Jul 10, 2014
Visit site
Does Windows have features similar to smart unlock? Stays unlocked in specific locations, when near specific bluetooth connections, etc... The 950 and 950 XL appear to have a camera button. Many Android OEMs put in shortcuts to the camera, double press of power button, etc.

My former LG Spirit didn't had camera button, but a long press on volume down button would launch camera. Don't care for camera button as long as it would be possible to do this onmy 735.

StevoPhilo

Oct 7, 2013
Visit site
I do like the look of the capacitive buttons, but I always hit them when I played a game. Then you factor in that WP didn't like to resume games from where they were and that instead it closed it out and had to "relaunch".

I won't complain about on screen since I can see the benefit.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
I do like the look of the capacitive buttons, but I always hit them when I played a game.

I didn't have a lot of trouble with accidentally hitting the capacitive buttons, but what I didn't like was that they seemed to be always lit. It was kind of annoying when watching a video in the dark. It probably could have been fixed with software, but it wasn't.

MikeSo

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
After about 10 seconds I don't even notice if the button is on-screen or not. Can't believe there are people who care.

P1ng0fDeath

Jul 15, 2014
Visit site
Someone mentioned it briefly... Burn in. I fear and dread this with my soul.

my point exactly! While it is somewhat hard to acquire, i don't think it's a good idea. Most users i know aren't even aware of this risk. I'll change my mind when Oled components take like 2x longer to burn in.

ArtificiallyYours

Jul 12, 2015
Visit site
After about 10 seconds I don't even notice if the button is on-screen or not. Can't believe there are people who care.

Basically we have a bunch of robotic teens upset that the competition (Microsoft) supports a feature that's been on almost every premium Android flagship to date.

There are very little self-reliant individuals in this world today.

Marcin Dabrowsky

Jan 19, 2015
Visit site
my point exactly! While it is somewhat hard to acquire, i don't think it's a good idea. Most users i know aren't even aware of this risk. I'll change my mind when Oled components take like 2x longer to burn in.

Need more input from the members here on this.

Almost all my phones have always been lcd for this burn in reason.

How many of those that have amoled screen have experienced burn in after a while?

This is the last thing keeping me between this and the bb priv.

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss