01-02-2016 03:50 AM
107 ... 2345
tools
    After about 10 seconds I don't even notice if the button is on-screen or not. Can't believe there are people who care.
    10-06-2015 12:51 PM
    You're not buying anymore Lumias...only the 1520 you're about to buy. Riiiight.
    10-06-2015 01:43 PM
    Someone mentioned it briefly... Burn in. I fear and dread this with my soul.
    my point exactly! While it is somewhat hard to acquire, i don't think it's a good idea. Most users i know aren't even aware of this risk. I'll change my mind when Oled components take like 2x longer to burn in.
    10-06-2015 01:51 PM
    After about 10 seconds I don't even notice if the button is on-screen or not. Can't believe there are people who care.
    Basically we have a bunch of robotic teens upset that the competition (Microsoft) supports a feature that's been on almost every premium Android flagship to date.

There are very little self-reliant individuals in this world today.
    10-06-2015 02:36 PM
    my point exactly! While it is somewhat hard to acquire, i don't think it's a good idea. Most users i know aren't even aware of this risk. I'll change my mind when Oled components take like 2x longer to burn in.
    Need more input from the members here on this.

Almost all my phones have always been lcd for this burn in reason.

How many of those that have amoled screen have experienced burn in after a while?

This is the last thing keeping me between this and the bb priv.

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android
    Last edited by Marcin Dabrowsky; 10-08-2015 at 02:12 PM.
    10-06-2015 03:37 PM
    The Moto X Pure is the first LCD device I've used since 2011 as a daily driver. I've never had burn in on the other 4. This was a pretty serious issue for many people, and I can't say how these buttons work on Windows, but on Android they go away in a lot of apps (slide off the screen) and they're not apparent on the lock screen, etc. This lessens the probability and technology lessens the opportunity.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    10-06-2015 03:47 PM
    I think physical buttons are more prone to breakage, so it is better to omit them.
    10-06-2015 03:55 PM
    I can't say how these buttons work on Windows, but on Android they go away in a lot of apps
    In WM10 you can make them disappear or reappear by swiping UP from the bottom. I think there are other options too.
    jonda99 likes this.
    10-06-2015 04:00 PM
    With each generation of amoled screens they say technology is getting better. I've seen note 4 displays at retail locations with terrible burn in and some without which leads me to believe those with it were always on.

I guys I'll give it a go and if I get it I'll warranty it.

10-06-2015 04:22 PM
    Yeah a screen that is on at max brightness 12 hours a day every day and not leaving the home screen is going to be impacted. Most people don't leave the screen blazing all the time.
    Laura Knotek and libra89 like this.
    10-06-2015 05:03 PM
    With each generation of amoled screens they say technology is getting better. I've seen note 4 displays at retail locations with terrible burn in and some without which leads me to believe those with it were always on.

I guys I'll give it a go and if I get it I'll warranty it.

If you're using daydream on your Android, you'll notice the clock moves around on the screen. That would definitely help prevent burn-in.
    10-06-2015 06:14 PM
    Best part about having onscreen buttons? Adaptability. Who doesn't want a landscape start menu with taskbar at the bottom. The on-screen key colors could also be changed.
    libra89 and PepperdotNet like this.
    10-06-2015 11:03 PM
    Best part about having onscreen buttons? Adaptability. Who doesn't want a landscape start menu with taskbar at the bottom. The on-screen key colors could also be changed.
    On a phone?
    10-08-2015 04:34 AM
    I'll take onscreen buttons just to assure our future of Windows Phones doesn't go back to those hideous fat bottom lips we had in... pretty much every WP8.1 phone before the 635/535.

Removing the limits of capacitive buttons takes out the amount of components that can go wrong, allows it to improve with software updates... and since the capacitive buttons vanish so often (they hide when opening pictures, games, videos or even the notification center), fear of screen burn-in on the OLEDs are also unjust. The way people use their phones is far too ADHD to be genuinely concerned about burn-in.

Not to say I've changed my position... they can talk about "battery life saved by only lighting specific pixels" all day long, but IPSLCD has always won the real world battery efficiency tests over every grade of OLED.
    Last edited by TLRtheory; 10-08-2015 at 04:58 AM.
    libra89 likes this.
    10-08-2015 04:47 AM
    On a phone?
    Sure lots of things you do on a phone are in landscape. Games, videos, photos (not all are selfies), etc.. Much better to have buttons that move to whatever is the current bottom of the screen.
    10-08-2015 08:55 AM
    You would be retarted to not get it because of that.
    10-08-2015 09:58 AM
    I didn't like on-screen buttons before because I always felt it made the device cheap.

But when my uncle got a Lumia 640 XL, the on-screen keys made sense and it felt better in the hand.
    10-08-2015 10:51 AM
    biggest burn in culprit, IMO, is gps. It runs the longest when you think about it. Yes, this is a concern of mine as well. BUT, they are using newer gen screens. FIngers crossed. The navigation buttons are NOT an issue u guys. Think about it:
    1) it allows for a slimmer profile
    2) its one less thing to break. If the screen goes, what good are physical buttons?!
    3) burn in due to these buttons is very unlikely as i have yet to see if they remain all the time. from what ive seen, they dont.

Keep Calm, Lumia ON.
    10-08-2015 12:48 PM
    1) it allows for a slimmer profile
    well, the Lumia 830 and 925 both have capacitive buttons and are very slim for example, so... don't think a phone needs to be a lot slimmer than those.

2) its one less thing to break. If the screen goes, what good are physical buttons?!
    if the screen breaks so do on-screen buttons - they might malfunction as well if the screen does. Breaking the screen is always awful no matter what. Capacitive buttons are reliable enough; maybe not more than on-screen ones but more than physical ones (i'm looking at you, iPhone). I'm yet to personally meet a WP user who suffered for a capacitive button that's gone bad, unless it's a manufacturing defect or the phone sustained water damage.

3) burn in due to these buttons is very unlikely as i have yet to see if they remain all the time. from what ive seen, they dont.
    obviously, as long as you're using them they remain static on screen, and i'm sure people do use a lot back and home button, so that's where you have bigger chances of acquiring burn-in. Of course there are others factors to consider, like brightness. I do agree it's not so easy to acquire them though. 6 months using a 930 and so far no sign of burn in on the top, where static elements are displayed for long periods - like the clock, battery icon, wifi, etc.

i still think it might be a issue on the long run for those people who keep a phone for a long time and/or tend to "abuse" their screens (high levels of brightness for long periods of time and a lot of screen on time, for example)
    Kram Sacul likes this.
    10-08-2015 02:02 PM
    well, the Lumia 830 and 925 both have capacitive buttons and are very slim for example, so... don't think a phone needs to be a lot slimmer than those.

if the screen breaks so do on-screen buttons - they might malfunction as well if the screen does. Breaking the screen is always awful no matter what. Capacitive buttons are reliable enough; maybe not more than on-screen ones but more than physical ones (i'm looking at you, iPhone). I'm yet to personally meet a WP user who suffered for a capacitive button that's gone bad, unless it's a manufacturing defect or the phone sustained water damage.

obviously, as long as you're using them they remain static on screen, and i'm sure people do use a lot back and home button, so that's where you have bigger chances of acquiring burn-in. Of course there are others factors to consider, like brightness. I do agree it's not so easy to acquire them though. 6 months using a 930 and so far no sign of burn in on the top, where static elements are displayed for long periods - like the clock, battery icon, wifi, etc.

i still think it might be a issue on the long run for those people who keep a phone for a long time and/or tend to "abuse" their screens (high levels of brightness for long periods of time and a lot of screen on time, for example)
    I don't think keeping screen at max brightness is "abusing a phone". If it may cause burn in, manufacturers should lower max brightness settings to avoid the problem.

Anyone knows who manufactured these screens and what generation they are?

For example the nexus 6 used old amoled tech and early units resulted in all kinds of burn issues.

10-08-2015 02:10 PM
    I don't think keeping screen at max brightness is "abusing a phone". If it may cause burn in, manufacturers should lower max brightness settings to avoid the problem.
    i didn't really mean abuse literally speaking, that why i used quotation marks
    10-08-2015 03:38 PM
    yes, youd be surprised what manufacturers consider abuse. as for the buttons breaking, what i meant was, on a phone with capacitive buttons, if the screen dies, the buttons wont work anyway. so if the screen craps out on the 950, what good would it do to have capacitive buttons? you still need a new screen. its a software solution as opposed to a hardware solution. granted, ive never had a phone like this. my opinion may change when my 950xl comes in.
    10-08-2015 05:19 PM
    Sure lots of things you do on a phone are in landscape. Games, videos, photos (not all are selfies), etc.. Much better to have buttons that move to whatever is the current bottom of the screen.
    I was referring to him saying Start menu and taskbar both of which have no place on a touch screen device.

On screen buttons are great... for low end phones.
    10-08-2015 07:15 PM
    I agree. And even better for high end phones.
    Aquila, libra89, JPDVM2014 and 2 others like this.
    10-08-2015 08:38 PM
    I was referring to him saying Start menu and taskbar both of which have no place on a touch screen device.

Start menu == Start screen in this case, and the buttons are the taskbar.
    10-09-2015 12:15 AM
107 ... 2345