On-Screen Buttons DEAL BREAKER! Not buying anymore Lumias!

abel920

Dec 16, 2012
Visit site
I just don't understand why they can't have both options for manufacturers to choose from. They like to make lives more difficult for the users, by eliminating things that THEY think are no longer needed, nor no longer useful to us. Because of this, I'm not going to buy any more Lumia phones. Instead I will buy my friends' 1520 for $290, which is brand new (except for a little chipped corner), and practically runs faster than the 640XL. I am going to enjoy this phone a whole lot more because it's 6", AND has capacitive buttons WHICH does not take 1 inch off the screen. The 950XL costs $838, and for that price you better get the screen real estate you PAID for. Well you are but with a huge hassle. I don't care if you say "just swipe it" and it will go away. Noooo, swiping it is the most cumbersome thing to do. Yes, I'm whining about it and complaining.. But come on.. for a flagship device, I better get a premium hardware experience, not some software junk we call on-screen buttons.

I get them though.. everyone knows that the Surface phone is imminent, so maybe that's why they're giving Lumias a lot less attention, and secretly working in their evil (I mean genius) basement and creating the masterpiece that we know as Surface Phone, which may come out in 2016!

[/endrant]

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
wow, I would think on-screen buttons stole your candy.

You know, the screen could be larger with no buttons to make room for potentially, ever think that's a thing?

Honestly, on-screen buttons is so common in the high end... BB Priv, Moto X, any recent Nexus, HTC One M8...

I think its more elegant without tbh.

P1ng0fDeath

Jul 15, 2014
Visit site
Although i do prefer capacitive buttons, my only gripe with on-screen ones are their presence on Amoled screens: Burn-ins are still a thing on this kind of display. I really think they should keep them to LCDs only.

someone2639

Sep 25, 2014
Visit site
It depends on how they look. If they can make it accessible with a huge finger and make it look good, I'm all in. But they're just nav buttons so I personally couldn't care less about where the buttons that I only press like 3 times an app will be.

elindalyne

Aug 1, 2015
Visit site
Capacitive buttons add a significant amount of thickness to the phones... On screen buttons allows them to thin the phone down a bit. To put this in perspective the iPhone 6's have the same size screens, but will be bigger dimension wise.

ariker01

May 20, 2015
Visit site
I don't understand why capacitive buttons are needed. On screen buttons you can swipe up and have a full screen view. When you need them, swipe up and they appear so you can use the home or back button.

EMINENT 1

Mar 29, 2012
Visit site
Hallelujah! To on-screen buttons....

I hated hitting those capacitive buttons on accident multiple times a day or while gaming.

Good riddance.

Thank you, Microsoft!

Satyendra Nair

Dec 13, 2013
Visit site
The on screen buttons actually work better for people who do a lot of editing and game, or read e-books on their phones. They can be hidden, prevent accidental touches, and can be, to some extent, customised.

On screen buttons for the win!

Visa Declined

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
I don't understand why capacitive buttons are needed. On screen buttons you can swipe up and have a full screen view. When you need them, swipe up and they appear so you can use the home or back button.

I don't want to swipe my buttons up and down all day. Plus, I don't like the way they look. I feel like many people are defending them only because that's what Microsoft chose to go with. If they had retained capacitive buttons, everyone would be saying "they're the best type."

tmaier

May 5, 2015
Visit site
I absolutely agree. I'm not getting any of the new Lumias for this reason only - the only way I would be willing to stomach on-screen navigation buttons is if my 930 died and I was looking for a cheap replacement such as 640.

Zulfigar

Jun 27, 2012
Visit site
So I connected my Bluetooth Arc Mouse to my Lumia 920, and I can't figure out how to go back, use home, or use Cortana? Is there a way?

The reason I'm saying this is because with on-screen buttons, at least then the buttons are (go figure) on-screen and I'll be able to get there with them if I had a Lumia 950 that was connected to a large TV, for lets say a presentation. Where as if they were captive, I'm not sure if they would show up. Yeah, sure, captive could be the best set of buttons, but these phones are for continuum, and if captive buttons doesn't work, then it just doesn't work.

tmaier

May 5, 2015
Visit site
So I connected my Bluetooth Arc Mouse to my Lumia 920, and I can't figure out how to go back, use home, or use Cortana? Is there a way?

The reason I'm saying this is because with on-screen buttons, at least then the buttons are (go figure) on-screen and I'll be able to get there with them if I had a Lumia 950 that was connected to a large TV, for lets say a presentation. Where as if they were captive, I'm not sure if they would show up. Yeah, sure, captive could be the best set of buttons, but these phones are for continuum, and if captive buttons doesn't work, then it just doesn't work.

What is the reason why on-screen buttons could not be set to come up in certain circumstances? It's a silly reason for not having capacitive buttons what you're talking about can be easily fixed with software.

Last edited:

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I don't want to swipe my buttons up and down all day. Plus, I don't like the way they look. I feel like many people are defending them only because that's what Microsoft chose to go with. If they had retained capacitive buttons, everyone would be saying "they're the best type."

nah, I didn't really care before, but after trying a 635 I noticed some pluses: (but I wouldn't base my decision around them)

didn't blind me at night like my 920's and 830's keys would.

they make for a much cleaner device face

the 635 didn't allow the bar to be hidden during normal usage actually. and the option can be turned off on devices where it can.

although the proximity to the keyboard is a potential issue

it's the go-to solution for most of the market so it's not that weird, I think the aversion here stems from the original use of the virtual keys as a cheapo measure despite Android use.

HoosierDaddy

May 28, 2013
Visit site
Making two versions of a phone with the only difference being physical or on-screen buttons would raise the cost of both.

Every product is the result of a massive list of compromises.

I much prefer on-screen buttons. So if MS put physical buttons on a model, you might buy one but it would make someone else pass. That's part of the choices a manufacturer makes. Or maybe on screen is cheaper to build and their research tells them more people would pass up a more expensive phone than would pass for not having physical buttons.

If it helps think of the non-obvious benefits of on-screen buttons. Like when your grandmother calls you on her landline because she can't figure out how to do something on her new Windows phone and you tell her to press the left arrow button and she can't figure it out because she's holding it in landscape and only has a down arrow because a physical button can't rotate the arrow direction. On screen buttons would have saved you 10 minutes and 20 blood pressure points.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
It's to the point that I find myself debating if I should get another Lumia without them. They aren't a huge deal, but it's so different to go from feeling where the buttons are in dim light over being able to see them, and they don't blind you.
Note that I am speaking as a low/midrange user, and I have no want or uses for a flagship.

Richpl

Oct 1, 2015
Visit site
I agree, not a fan of having to swipe up just for buttons to appear. I've tested both and like having them on my 930

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChadDaniel