On-Screen Buttons DEAL BREAKER! Not buying anymore Lumias!

realwarder

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
I'm all for on screen controls. My 920 blinded me too watching videos due to the lights not going off. And on my 830 the search button is temperamental. No such issues on a 640.

More flexible, cheaper and more reliable.

colinkiama

Oct 13, 2013
Visit site
I just don't understand why they can't have both options for manufacturers to choose from. They like to make lives more difficult for the users, by eliminating things that THEY think are no longer needed, nor no longer useful to us. Because of this, I'm not going to buy any more Lumia phones. Instead I will buy my friends' 1520 for $290, which is brand new (except for a little chipped corner), and practically runs faster than the 640XL. I am going to enjoy this phone a whole lot more because it's 6", AND has capacitive buttons WHICH does not take 1 inch off the screen. The 950XL costs $838, and for that price you better get the screen real estate you PAID for. Well you are but with a huge hassle. I don't care if you say "just swipe it" and it will go away. Noooo, swiping it is the most cumbersome thing to do. Yes, I'm whining about it and complaining.. But come on.. for a flagship device, I better get a premium hardware experience, not some software junk we call on-screen buttons.

I get them though.. everyone knows that the Surface phone is imminent, so maybe that's why they're giving Lumias a lot less attention, and secretly working in their evil (I mean genius) basement and creating the masterpiece that we know as Surface Phone, which may come out in 2016!

[/endrant]

You know you can hide one screen buttons with one swipe from the bottom right? You're overreacting

Alfa Kapa

Sep 29, 2014
Visit site
Once you use double tap between the buttons in order to lock the device, then you'll be stuck ;)
It is as addictive as the double tap to wake!

Also the title of this post is like the worst..
HEY! HEY! LOOK AT MEE, I DON'T LIKE ON SCREEN BUTTOOOONS!!

mewcatchew

Dec 17, 2014
Visit site
I really didn't like the on-screen buttons on the 635; you couldn't get rid of them like if watching a video. But on 8.1 update 2 (on 640 at least) you can swipe up to hide navigation bar. I personally think it's a cleaner interface, less things to potentially break.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
I really didn't like the on-screen buttons on the 635; you couldn't get rid of them like if watching a video. But on 8.1 update 2 (on 640 at least) you can swipe up to hide navigation bar.

Are you saying that WP's on screen buttons do not hide automatically? That's weird. I currently have a 920 so I am not familiar with WP's implementation of them.

mewcatchew

Dec 17, 2014
Visit site
I'm saying I can swipe up and hide navigation bar on my 640. The navigation bar is there if you want it so yes present as a default, but you can hide them if you want by swiping up. Swipe up again and it reappears.

oldpueblo

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
I claimed I didn't like them as well, however I didn't have a phone that used them. When my 930 broke and I had to use a 635 for awhile I actually changed my tune once I realized they got rid of accidental button presses while playing games/viewing video. Now I'm a fan of them. They're pretty customizable too. Look for the positive bro. :)

fitchalcyone

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
Once you use double tap between the buttons in order to lock the device, then you'll be stuck ;)
It is as addictive as the double tap to wake!

Also the title of this post is like the worst..
HEY! HEY! LOOK AT MEE, I DON'T LIKE ON SCREEN BUTTOOOONS!!

I'm pretty much giving on-screen buttons a chance because of this. Aesthetically and functionality, I still have my reservations. But, I got my mom a 640XL and love using double tap to lock. It can make for easy one-handed use from my desk at work.

ArtificiallyYours

Jul 12, 2015
Visit site
Jesus this fashion issue is really getting out of hand isn't it?

Look, like what you like, don't what you don't, if Microsoft is getting the picture that we want quality screens that don't burn the battery, they'll go the extra mile to blend in the menu keys on-interface. Plus you can hide them so who cares?

You people complain about having OEMs not taking advantage of their design philosophy, but also do it when they are? Huh. Backwards indeed.

wpfan86

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Two things here. First, can the OP provide a source for his "950 will cost $838" comment?
Second, with capacitive buttons, I can summon Cortana while under lock screen. Can I still do that with on screen buttons?

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
On-screen buttons work better in practise, there have been countless times when I've taken a photo and handed it over to people who wanted to have a look. Inevitably they always somehow press the search button lol.. "why do you want me to use bing?" "No, I want to see the photo" :grincry:.

It's more common now as Microsoft in their infinite wisdom removed the preview button in the camera app.
This what I do now:
  1. unlock the phone (if the photo is taken when 920 is locked)
  2. open the last photo
  3. have the screen rotate the photo so the search button is at the bottom on my left hand.
  4. hand the phone over or show it myself.
{for the sticklers out there the above only takes a few seconds}
This way the accidently search button press is reduced whereas with on-screen buttons we don't have this issue as the buttons can be hidden.

PepperdotNet

Jan 6, 2014
Visit site
On-screen buttons:
- rotate when you rotate the phone
- could be rearranged or modified by software
- can be hidden

Capacitive buttons can't do any of this.

Kram Sacul

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site
On-screen buttons by themselves are not a deal breaker for me but they do add to the overall cheapness and poorly thought out design put into these new "high end flagship" devices. I'm personally more disappointed in the recycled 640 soap dish design and the bizarre button config on the 950XL. What were they smoking when they came up with that?

:grin: at those that say capacitive buttons have blinded them in the dark. That's really stretching it.

"You can hide them!"

I don't need to hide capacitive buttons.

"They can rotate!"

I agree. That's nice.

"They look better than capacitive buttons!"

Please put down the crack pipe.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
Two things here. First, can the OP provide a source for his "950 will cost $838" comment?
Second, with capacitive buttons, I can summon Cortana while under lock screen. Can I still do that with on screen buttons?
Don't know about the first one but as for the second, yes. I have done it by accident lol

pzoismail

Feb 4, 2012
Visit site
I came from capacitive button and I like on screen better. It's more practical no accidentally touch. Rotated with the screen , with amoled screen the black is very black and u won't notice it's on screen. But just don't make it similar to 735, unnecessary space below the lcd screen. It used to be solution for cheaper device. Then it become main preference as its more practical. I don't see any disadvantage of it anyway. But of course please reduce the prices.

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
Capacitive is miles better. I prefer my buttons to be there always instead of having to swipe for them and the swipe em away.

On screen buttons take up screens space
and personally they look cheap to me

neodk

Jun 23, 2015
Visit site
Why do phones have onscreen buttons? Why does Apple still have one home button on the iPhone? It's all about the market(s) they cater to and what they want to do with the hardware. Apple has evolved the home button from more than just a way to quickly exit applications. Onscreen buttons, when used to increase screen size, are great at doing just that. The idea would be that you have thinner bezels.

The Lumia 830 is a prime example of where production issues can be a nightmare when it comes to designated buttons. My search button failed to work properly on numerous occasions. I couldn't use a screen protector because of this. And no, based on how it was sourced I didn't have the option to exchange the device.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb