On-Screen Buttons DEAL BREAKER! Not buying anymore Lumias!

z8er

Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
I also didn't like onscreen buttons until I had to get a 640. I guess you don't really understand until you start using them. For gaming it's so much better. The biggest thing is letting somebody use your phone to take photo though! Who hasn't had someone take their phone to take a photo then accidentally press the search button, and be like "Oh, oops, I don't know where the camera went."

rory753

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I feel like many people are defending them only because that's what Microsoft chose to go with. If they had retained capacitive buttons, everyone would be saying "they're the best type."

I'm trying not to defend them, but i have used them on a 640xl and I do like them over the capacitve buttons that are on my lumia 830.

however...

I wish the capacative buttons were actually more like the buttons on iphone or samsung, that are an actual button, and not just an extension of the screen. it's my one gripe for the hardware Nokia was producing.

triageatdawn

May 31, 2015
Visit site
On-screen buttons by themselves are not a deal breaker for me but they do add to the overall cheapness and poorly thought out design put into these new "high end flagship" devices. I'm personally more disappointed in the recycled 640 soap dish design and the bizarre button config on the 950XL. What were they smoking when they came up with that?

:grin: at those that say capacitive buttons have blinded them in the dark. That's really stretching it.

"You can hide them!"

I don't need to hide capacitive buttons.

"They can rotate!"

I agree. That's nice.

"They look better than capacitive buttons!"

Please put down the crack pipe.

"They're cheaper and easier to develop."

Another affordable flagship on its way, yay! Heh heh. :amaze:

surfacedude

May 24, 2013
Visit site
i'm ok with the on screen buttons IF it looks like the hardware was designed for it or that the hardware took on screen buttons into consideration. if the on-screen buttons plus the bezel at the bottom looks cheap or like an after thought (i.e. giant black bar when the on screen buttons are active) or something, i'll pass and just move to android. tired of waiting for microsoft to get a flagship right.

rory753

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
This still doesn't make any sense. You already get the bigger screen view with capacitive buttons.

this does make sense from a platform unification standpoint. if you look at win10 for tablet right now, the taskbar/AKA buttons don't resemble win10 for phone at all. when redstone comes out, i expect windows 10 tablet mode's taskbar to actually resemble window 10's phone completely, along with the same functionality. you can't achieve this with capacitive buttons.

SteelSteve

Oct 21, 2011
Visit site
I didn't think I would prefer the on screen buttons, but after having the 640XL for about 2 months now, I love them. Definitely prefer them now to actual buttons for the reasons already mentioned here.

tropolite

Dec 22, 2010
Visit site
There won't be burn-ins.
The button bar at the bottom of the screen auto hides. When you need to use them you swipe from the bottom up to reveal the buttons.

I personally like this better as it allows bigger screens and sleeker hardware (virtually all screen). When I measured my 1520 compared to the 950XL the screen is .3" smaller but the device itself is a much smaller device. I cannot wait!

If people are having issue with screen burn in they really need to look at how they use their lock screen timeouts and how they use their phone in general - burn in is really a non event, and has been for quite a while.

:wink:

Cthugha

Aug 22, 2013
Visit site
Capacitive buttons add a significant amount of thickness to the phones...

Really? The Samsung Galaxy S6 is too thick? 6.8 mm (0.27 in)
I love physical buttons, won't buy a phone without it. And built-in fingerprint reader is another must from now on (works great on the S6).

HoosierDaddy

May 28, 2013
Visit site
I put up with real buttons when that's all there was. Now that they can eliminate them, I won't buy a phone that they chose to put them on. On screen is much better for all the reasons already posted.

ernestperol

Feb 18, 2014
Visit site
I'm with you on that.
I'm sticking to my Lumia 1520, on-screen bottom is not for me for a flagship Windows Phone, it may look great on Android that doesn't mean it will look great on a Windows phone.

There's a lot of Android people who kept on asking Microsoft to put features on an Android on a Windows Phone, these people need to get lost.
:angry::unhappysweat:

charish putta

Nov 20, 2014
Visit site
I can understand the hate for on screen buttons. When I use my friend's 730, I'll be stuck for a second like "WHERE ARE THE CAPACITIVE BUTTONS? HOW TO GO BACK?". I use 1020 and I'm not fan of onscreen buttons too. But at the same time while gaming and doing some browsing I accidentally touch it. This may be irritating to many people, though it doesn't bother me much. But removing them completely is also not a great option, especially on a FLAGSHIP. They could have included settings to control them so people who doesn't like could turn off. Complaining about consuming space? C'mon look at SAMSUNG and I-Phone they are at the bottom, MSFT is not completely covering it with screen (I would have been happy if they did that) . And I'm sticking with my 1020 another year it can survive that long, not impressed with current Lumia flagship. They wont be cheap either, and what are they offering for that an IR scanner and Continnum. Really? no finger print sensor, and all plastic body. A huge ring around camera, even the Chinese have stopped doing that stuff. It looks like a mid/ low end device, don't tell me to put on a case i don't use one. And case manufacturers don't even make cool cases for lumia devices like they do for Apple.

Lundon44

Sep 6, 2012
Visit site
Since playing with my mom's 640XL I'm ok with on screen buttons. Though I'm not sure if there's a way to dismiss them. Swiping up from the bottom can bring them up. I constantly hit the search button on my L1520 accidently in games or handing the phone to someone to show them a picture or what not. So I'm looking forward to no more accidental button pressing. However, only concern is the fact they're software reliant. Meaning if the OS, an app or anything else freezes or locks up I'd assume we'll have to do a battery pull or soft reset using buttons. But that's not a deal breaker anyway for me.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tallgeeselll05