On-Screen Buttons DEAL BREAKER! Not buying anymore Lumias!

Aquila

Alienware Rogue
May 14, 2013
Visit site
The Moto X Pure is the first LCD device I've used since 2011 as a daily driver. I've never had burn in on the other 4. This was a pretty serious issue for many people, and I can't say how these buttons work on Windows, but on Android they go away in a lot of apps (slide off the screen) and they're not apparent on the lock screen, etc. This lessens the probability and technology lessens the opportunity.

Marcin Dabrowsky

Jan 19, 2015
Visit site
With each generation of amoled screens they say technology is getting better. I've seen note 4 displays at retail locations with terrible burn in and some without which leads me to believe those with it were always on.

I guys I'll give it a go and if I get it I'll warranty it.

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android

Aquila

Alienware Rogue
May 14, 2013
Visit site
Yeah a screen that is on at max brightness 12 hours a day every day and not leaving the home screen is going to be impacted. Most people don't leave the screen blazing all the time.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
With each generation of amoled screens they say technology is getting better. I've seen note 4 displays at retail locations with terrible burn in and some without which leads me to believe those with it were always on.

I guys I'll give it a go and if I get it I'll warranty it.

If you're using daydream on your Android, you'll notice the clock moves around on the screen. That would definitely help prevent burn-in.

pankaj981

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
Best part about having onscreen buttons? Adaptability. Who doesn't want a landscape start menu with taskbar at the bottom. The on-screen key colors could also be changed.

TLRtheory

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site
I'll take onscreen buttons just to assure our future of Windows Phones doesn't go back to those hideous fat bottom lips we had in... pretty much every WP8.1 phone before the 635/535.

Removing the limits of capacitive buttons takes out the amount of components that can go wrong, allows it to improve with software updates... and since the capacitive buttons vanish so often (they hide when opening pictures, games, videos or even the notification center), fear of screen burn-in on the OLEDs are also unjust. The way people use their phones is far too ADHD to be genuinely concerned about burn-in.

Not to say I've changed my position... they can talk about "battery life saved by only lighting specific pixels" all day long, but IPSLCD has always won the real world battery efficiency tests over every grade of OLED.

Last edited:

greedo_greedy

Jun 11, 2013
Visit site
I didn't like on-screen buttons before because I always felt it made the device cheap.

But when my uncle got a Lumia 640 XL, the on-screen keys made sense and it felt better in the hand.

Allen Rhodes

Feb 9, 2014
Visit site
biggest burn in culprit, IMO, is gps. It runs the longest when you think about it. Yes, this is a concern of mine as well. BUT, they are using newer gen screens. FIngers crossed. The navigation buttons are NOT an issue u guys. Think about it:
1) it allows for a slimmer profile
2) its one less thing to break. If the screen goes, what good are physical buttons?!
3) burn in due to these buttons is very unlikely as i have yet to see if they remain all the time. from what ive seen, they dont.

Keep Calm, Lumia ON.

P1ng0fDeath

Jul 15, 2014
Visit site
1) it allows for a slimmer profile
well, the Lumia 830 and 925 both have capacitive buttons and are very slim for example, so... don't think a phone needs to be a lot slimmer than those.

2) its one less thing to break. If the screen goes, what good are physical buttons?!
if the screen breaks so do on-screen buttons - they might malfunction as well if the screen does. Breaking the screen is always awful no matter what. Capacitive buttons are reliable enough; maybe not more than on-screen ones but more than physical ones (i'm looking at you, iPhone). I'm yet to personally meet a WP user who suffered for a capacitive button that's gone bad, unless it's a manufacturing defect or the phone sustained water damage.

3) burn in due to these buttons is very unlikely as i have yet to see if they remain all the time. from what ive seen, they dont.
obviously, as long as you're using them they remain static on screen, and i'm sure people do use a lot back and home button, so that's where you have bigger chances of acquiring burn-in. Of course there are others factors to consider, like brightness. I do agree it's not so easy to acquire them though. 6 months using a 930 and so far no sign of burn in on the top, where static elements are displayed for long periods - like the clock, battery icon, wifi, etc.

i still think it might be a issue on the long run for those people who keep a phone for a long time and/or tend to "abuse" their screens (high levels of brightness for long periods of time and a lot of screen on time, for example)

Marcin Dabrowsky

Jan 19, 2015
Visit site
well, the Lumia 830 and 925 both have capacitive buttons and are very slim for example, so... don't think a phone needs to be a lot slimmer than those.

if the screen breaks so do on-screen buttons - they might malfunction as well if the screen does. Breaking the screen is always awful no matter what. Capacitive buttons are reliable enough; maybe not more than on-screen ones but more than physical ones (i'm looking at you, iPhone). I'm yet to personally meet a WP user who suffered for a capacitive button that's gone bad, unless it's a manufacturing defect or the phone sustained water damage.

obviously, as long as you're using them they remain static on screen, and i'm sure people do use a lot back and home button, so that's where you have bigger chances of acquiring burn-in. Of course there are others factors to consider, like brightness. I do agree it's not so easy to acquire them though. 6 months using a 930 and so far no sign of burn in on the top, where static elements are displayed for long periods - like the clock, battery icon, wifi, etc.

i still think it might be a issue on the long run for those people who keep a phone for a long time and/or tend to "abuse" their screens (high levels of brightness for long periods of time and a lot of screen on time, for example)

I don't think keeping screen at max brightness is "abusing a phone". If it may cause burn in, manufacturers should lower max brightness settings to avoid the problem.

Anyone knows who manufactured these screens and what generation they are?

For example the nexus 6 used old amoled tech and early units resulted in all kinds of burn issues.

Allen Rhodes

Feb 9, 2014
Visit site
yes, youd be surprised what manufacturers consider abuse. as for the buttons breaking, what i meant was, on a phone with capacitive buttons, if the screen dies, the buttons wont work anyway. so if the screen craps out on the 950, what good would it do to have capacitive buttons? you still need a new screen. its a software solution as opposed to a hardware solution. granted, ive never had a phone like this. my opinion may change when my 950xl comes in.

Kram Sacul

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site
Sure lots of things you do on a phone are in landscape. Games, videos, photos (not all are selfies), etc.. Much better to have buttons that move to whatever is the current bottom of the screen.

I was referring to him saying Start menu and taskbar both of which have no place on a touch screen device.

On screen buttons are great... for low end phones.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taylormcintire