12-02-2015 11:33 PM
1,084 ... 89101112 ...
tools
    In general, not just about phones, to have a list of things that are specifically allowed is generally called "whitelisting" vs having a list of things that are specifically NOT allowed is "blacklisting". That's the common use of the words everywhere.

We'll just have to agree to disagree about how to define what Verizon does. They will not accept a new activation of a device that they haven't explicitly allowed on their network. You can work around that if they will keep letting you, but that's the fact. I don't know why we still argue that fact. The FCC doesn't care about that the least as far as I know, not when Verizon did it and not when Sprint does it. Do you have any sources that the FCC is concerned about networks not allowing some phones? If I'm wrong, I'd like to be corrected.
    OK, then what you write doesn't mean the same as what you are thinking. You say "allow" when you should say "support". To me, not allowing means that it will not work; it will be blocked. The way you say "not allow", that makes me think along the lines of "blacklist". Maybe my English comprehension is bad!

I do not know about the legality of blocking phones, but as far as I know Verizon has never done it. What makes you think they would?

Did you buy your phone from Google Play? Verizon do explicitly allow those, so if you do that's why it works there.
    I bought my phone from Motorola. I bought it before Verizon even carried the Nexus 6.

If it's not from there, you had to activate it on the Verizon network by faking an IMEI from an approved Verizon phone and put an already activated SIM into your Nexus. Otherwise it won't work.
    Ha ha yeah we've both been saying this all along and arguing about it! Again, this is where I differ from you in what "allow" means. You say that a phone that fits this description is not allowed. I say it is allowed, but not supported/whitelisted.
    MikeSo likes this.
    10-08-2015 01:44 PM
    Mary Jo Foley and Paul Thurrott talked a bit about this on Windows Weekly yesterday. Mary Jo said she asked around after the event and was told that while there are LTE bands that work on Verizon, the CDMA bands were not present so handshaking would be a problem in some areas. And both she and Paul said they think MS is done dealing with Verizon due to lack of past support of the platform.

If this ends up being true, it is a bit sad, as others have said, they could have added the CDMA bands to give the option to people who want to try to get it activated there. It would make Microsoft look a bit better too, but now it almost seems like MS is "shaming" Verizon. And unfortunately, WP users will suffer on that carrier.
    Frank Kajtazi and Tjarren like this.
    10-08-2015 01:48 PM
    Everyone, Stop hoping... Please go to the correct pages to get the information. This is the page you need to visit to see it DOES NOT have CDMA!

www (DOT) microsoft (DOT) com/en-us/mobile/phones/compare/?action=productcompareaction&products=5966760-4165842-4185196

(Cannot post links yet, yawn...)
    Notice the lack of Band 13 LTE and a BLANK CDMA section.
    Now that that's over, when will Verizon stop screwing us?
    10-08-2015 01:53 PM
    Apparently it was said at the event that "Microsoft will work with the carriers that worked with us."
    Does anyone here ever remember Verizon working with Microsoft?
    10-08-2015 02:00 PM
    I know this is about the 950XL & Verizon, but HTC has a launch event on 10/20 for the HTC One A9...they were also listed as a partner in Computex this summer for Win10 Mobile. Do I think we're gonna see the One m9 for Windows announced then, dunno, but HTC did say in April they were continuing with WM10....so maybe they're bringing CDMA phones to market.

I'd prefer the 950 line as well, but none of the other carriers cover one area I need covered...its Verizon or Sprint...
    10-08-2015 02:05 PM
    Well then let's HOPE for a Surface Phone early next year! Maybe VZW will decide to carry that or MSFT will just include the CDMA/LTE required Radios so we can BOOD the Surface Phone to VZW!
    10-08-2015 02:14 PM
    So apparently the MS stores have working demo units. Has anyone asked if they could drop their VZW SIM in one temporarily to see if it works on the network?
    Someone on Reddit claims to have done it. This goes directly to his comment, but you can click view the rest of the comments right above it to get the entire thread.

My Microsoft sales rep was emphatic that the 950 line will work on any carrier.
    nunyazz likes this.
    10-08-2015 02:30 PM
    Someone on Reddit claims to have done it. This goes directly to his comment, but you can click view the rest of the comments right above it to get the entire thread.

My Microsoft sales rep was emphatic that the 950 line will work on any carrier.
    Booom! Dream popped.
    10-08-2015 02:34 PM
    Without Verizon WP has no chance in the US. AT&T is now barely ahead of TMo in terms of subscriber base, and if you combined both of them you only just reach the subscriber numbers of VZ. I do not know what the problem there is, but without VZ Microsoft is dead in the water in the US.

What makes me sad is that I can't leave VZ, nor do I really want to. The network really is *that* much better. I'll ride my Icon as long as I can, if MS hasn't managed to work it out by then I doubt it will matter much as it will mean MS is ready to abandon phones. They can't hang on with only AT&T.
    10-08-2015 03:09 PM
    Unfortunately, Verizon has figured out that most folks will value their service over their device so they aren't worrying about lost customers by not offering these device. I hope someone from Verizon and Microsoft are reading this and will work this out but I do not have high hopes.
    10-08-2015 03:16 PM
    Everyone, Stop hoping... Please go to the correct pages to get the information. This is the page you need to visit to see it DOES NOT have CDMA!

www (DOT) microsoft (DOT) com/en-us/mobile/phones/compare/?action=productcompareaction&products=5966760-4165842-4185196

(Cannot post links yet, yawn...)
    Notice the lack of Band 13 LTE and a BLANK CDMA section.
    Now that that's over, when will Verizon stop screwing us?
    I'm not sure why you weren't seeing a list of Bands under CDMA, but I do for both the Lumia 950 and the Lumia 950XL.

Here is my Comparison (sorry, can't use links yet!):
    www(dot)microsoft(dot)com/en-us/mobile/phones/compare/?action=productcompareaction&products=5970740-5966760

And this is what's listed for both phones:
    WCDMA network
    Band 1 (2100 MHz)
    Band 2 (1900 MHz)
    Band 4 (1700/2100 MHz)
    Band 5 (850 MHz)
    Band 8 (900 MHz)
    10-08-2015 03:29 PM
    I'm not sure why you weren't seeing a list of Bands under CDMA, but I do for both the Lumia 950 and the Lumia 950XL.

Here is my Comparison (sorry, can't use links yet!):
    www(dot)microsoft(dot)com/en-us/mobile/phones/compare/?action=productcompareaction&products=5970740-5966760

And this is what's listed for both phones:
    WCDMA network
    Band 1 (2100 MHz)
    Band 2 (1900 MHz)
    Band 4 (1700/2100 MHz)
    Band 5 (850 MHz)
    Band 8 (900 MHz)
    It's been mentioned in this article MULTIPLE TIMES. WCDMA and CDMA are NOT THE SAME.
    10-08-2015 03:32 PM
    10-08-2015 03:33 PM
    I just went into deep depression!
    10-08-2015 03:36 PM
    Thanks for the history, but we had been "hoping" that Microsoft would fulfill their "rumored promise" from almost 6 months ago to "go direct" with UNLOCKED phones!
    If it;'s rumored, how can it even be considered a promise?
    10-08-2015 03:40 PM
    but it does not have any cdma frequencies which is required to work with verizon ...i guess in that case it will not work with verizon....because verizon has weird network (cdma plus LTE(which is kind of gms)). I am not sure but this what I understand. Here is lumia icon spec from microsoft

Cellular connectivity3
    GSM network: 850 MHz, 900 MHz, 1800 MHz, 1900 MHz
    GSM max data speed DL: EGPRS 236.8 kbps
    GSM max data speed UL: EGPRS 236.8 kbps
    WCDMA network: Band 1 (2100 MHz), Band 2 (1900 MHz), Band 5 (850 MHz), Band 8 (900 MHz)
    WCDMA max data speed DL: 21.1 Mbps (Cat 14)
    WCDMA max data speed UL: 5.76 Mbps (Cat 6)
    LTE FDD network: Band 4 (1700/2100 MHz), Band 13 (700MHz)
    LTE max data speed DL: 150 Mbps (Cat 4)
    LTE max data speed UL: 50 Mbps (Cat 4)
    CDMA network bands: BC0, BC1
    CDMA max data speed DL: Rev 0 /A 2.4 Mbps /3.1 Mbps
    CDMA max data speed UL: Rev 0 /A 153.2 kbps /1.8 Mbps

Clearly 950 and 950xl miss last few things (CDMA).
    Dan Liddiard likes this.
    10-08-2015 03:54 PM
    Without Verizon WP has no chance in the US. AT&T is now barely ahead of TMo in terms of subscriber base, and if you combined both of them you only just reach the subscriber numbers of VZ. I do not know what the problem there is, but without VZ Microsoft is dead in the water in the US.
    Verizon Wireless: 135.4 million (Q2 2015)
    AT&T Mobility: 123.9 million (Q2 2015)
    T-Mobile US: 58.9 million (Q2 2015)
    Sprint Corporation: 57.2 million (Q2 2015)
    10-08-2015 04:27 PM
    Ok, I think we can put this issue to bed. The bottom line is that Microsoft botched the 950 and 950XL by NOT including support for CDMA carriers. They should have sold these phones in their stores as unlocked and thru other venues and not thru carriers. If Apple can make a true world phone (Verizon model) then Microsoft should have as well. They are still too monolithic in their thinking and will loose more market share because they do not understand how to make and cell phones. Would have to seen these on Verison. Maybe they will relase one that will be compatable with Verizon in early Q1 2016 once the early sales numbers are out!
    Last edited by BCrosby2109; 10-08-2015 at 04:34 PM. Reason: typos
    10-08-2015 04:33 PM
    I just went into deep depression!
    I guess I will have two phones..... Windows on straight talk and my unlimited data with Verizon probably get the nexus 5x

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android
    10-08-2015 05:00 PM
    Next month we'll see Verizon and Microsoft announce that the Lumia 950/XL are the very first ALL LTE phones that work with Verizon using VoLTE!! Woohoo!! ;)
    10-08-2015 05:10 PM
    Has anyone considered the fact that to have bands that work with Verizon specifically (unique worldwide remember) requires the cooperation of Verizon? I don't know the answer to that, but for all I know there is licensing or schematics or something that Verizon has to provide. Their network after all is probably not what one would consider an "open standard". Think of it like this, no Windows Phone has been useable on Verizon without Verizon themselves launching it. I'm curious to know if there's more to it, I highly doubt MS would just cut out Verizon support or not add it in/enable it for malicious reasons. What I find much more likely is Verizon not playing ball with MS since they have a very long history of doing exactly that.
    10-08-2015 05:11 PM
    Verizon Wireless: 135.4 million (Q2 2015)
    AT&T Mobility: 123.9 million (Q2 2015)
    T-Mobile US: 58.9 million (Q2 2015)
    Sprint Corporation: 57.2 million (Q2 2015)
    Thanks for posting this, I was going to look it up because I knew this claim was bogus. "90% of the US is Verizon" and "MS has no chance without Verizon" is complete horse****. What's with Verizon users thinking they have the best network and nobody else can touch it? Stop drinking the Kool-Aid guys, more subscribers does not equal better network. It equals more marketing and more contract lock-in/strong-arming. AT&T/T-Mobile's network technically includes the entire globe, deal with that coverage statistic. :P And on GSM you have generally four levels of speed not just LTE then drop way down to 3G. I've had just as many dead spots with Verizon as I've had with AT&T, just in different areas. Free yourselves with GSM.
    libra89 and theefman like this.
    10-08-2015 05:17 PM
    CNet is reporting it's an ATT exclusive... **** me.
    But is not an ATT exclusive. TMo has said they are open to carrying the 950 and 950 XL
    10-08-2015 05:39 PM
    this is how I see it....MS said they are releasing 6 phones, 2 flagship, 2 budget, 2 business. the two flagship and 1 budget just happened and for att and tmo sooooo they wont be some "verizon" varient. if verizon does get a new phone its more than likely the other budget one
    10-08-2015 06:08 PM
    Honestly, even if you are on AT&T, this should be really bad news. Why?

Because how can the marketshare of W10M grow fast enough for developers to invest in it (even just to port their iOS and/or Android apps) if these devices are limited to one carrier in the US (and apparently none in Canada)?

This has formally shaken any faith I had in W10M's success. I really thought (hoped?) that MS had a forward-thinking plan here and I'm sorry but this is just not it. In many ways, this feels less hopeful than the launch of WP7 ...
    10-08-2015 06:49 PM
1,084 ... 89101112 ...