Will an "unlocked" 950XL work on Verizon?

Status
Not open for further replies.

feereless

Sep 28, 2015
Visit site
Right. You're allowed to do this now, whereas before it was illegal to do it. It doesn't MANDATE the networks to allow your phone.
so i dug and dug. the only thing i can say is that the bill says that consumers are ALLOWED to use them with any carrier. i guess if you want to get down to the nitty gritty it depends on how good your lawyer is. you are correct that it doesnt necessarily mandate, but it is implied (which unfortunately is not valid in court).

i did however see something about GSM carriers, but no mention of cdma... F*** you verizon lol

MikeSo

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
so i dug and dug. the only thing i can say is that the bill says that consumers are ALLOWED to use them with any carrier. i guess if you want to get down to the nitty gritty it depends on how good your lawyer is. you are correct that it doesnt necessarily mandate, but it is implied (which unfortunately is not valid in court).

i did however see something about GSM carriers, but no mention of cdma... F*** you verizon lol

Yeah, unfortunately this bill is mostly useful for GSM carriers, since the GSM standard mandates that any compatible phone with a valid SIM is allowed on the network. The bill itself only prohibits carriers from keeping the phones locked down to the network, it doesn't force them to allow other phones. For GSM carriers, this is in practice the same thing, but not for Verizon. They can still choose which phones they authorize.

920Walker

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
There are two ATT shops two Verizon shops and a Microsoft store in my local mall. I'm glad I won't have to pay my lawyer driving time when she helps me purchase my next god phone :p

TexasLabRat

Oct 17, 2012
Visit site
I'll throw down the gauntlet to Microsoft and Verizon = ONCE Microsoft can show "1 MILLION pre-orders" then Verizon WILL change their minds!

AND ... I do NOT mean 1 MILLION "consumers" ... I mean 1 MILLION "Enterprise direct purchase or BYOD influenced" Enterprise users!

I DO BELIEVE that the 950XL "contains ALL of Band 13 and CDMA" which is currently "disabled in firmware"!

Otherwise, WHY would Microsoft be selling "UNLOCKED dual sim versions" in their US stores?

What's interesting to me is the FCC certification docs are still not posted. Once available they will tell us definitively what bands the phone is legally cleared to use in the U.S., firmware/hardware capabilities notwithstanding. Perhaps this is a sign that negotiations are still ongoing and MS is dragging its feet clerically to make the final filing until they are 100% sure of what the launch situation is going to be.

Point being...the specs on the product page are subject to change (and are sometimes willfully inaccurate by omitting bands to placate business partners...(I remember a couple of phones that supported AWS even though their product pages did not list it.) but the FCC test/certification paperwork is pretty much set-in-stone at least for launch purposes. I'll keep a look out for RM-1116 docs and I'll post what I find if/when they make it to the FCC website.

Last edited:

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
The 950xl physically supports Verizon, but has been programmed not to either at the discretion of Microsoft or Verizon (currently unknown). It IS possible for already-manufactured units to be updated to function on Verizon, assuming cooperation.

I want PROOF of this... Not just because another phone uses it. A lot of people are saying this but, so it contains a CPU that supports CDMA but, how do you know for sure that a FIRMWARE will unlock it ?

It's like when my HTC xv6750 (WM device) about FM radio, we looked it up, The hardware chipset supported it, the CPU supported it but, it was disabled on the motherboard, with no attenna cable to the headphone jack. There was threads of over 100 pages about this subject but, STILL, although the HARDWARE CPU AND CHIPSET fully supported it, it was disabled in firmware (thank you Verizon) and the connections were not there to use it.

Just like CDMA support on the 950XL, sure the CPU could support it but, if the phone does not have the Attenna or other part of the chipset, enabling it via firmware will do nothing.

I want facts on this, or I will call 100% BS, everyone can claim this but, no one at all, not even a hair of proof of it... and a Android device supports it IS NOT PROOF as all hardware is different and the chipset is different on the 950XL.

If you 100% belive this, with no proof, then give me your CC info, I have a bridge to sell you...really nice and a really good deal..

Again, No proof, I stand on my case, The 950XL does not support Verizon wireless, and this should be made a sticky and this thread closed...

TK2011

Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
I want PROOF of this... Not just because another phone uses it. A lot of people are saying this but, so it contains a CPU that supports CDMA but, how do you know for sure that a FIRMWARE will unlock it ?

It's like when my HTC xv6750 (WM device) about FM radio, we looked it up, The hardware chipset supported it, the CPU supported it but, it was disabled on the motherboard, with no attenna cable to the headphone jack. There was threads of over 100 pages about this subject but, STILL, although the HARDWARE CPU AND CHIPSET fully supported it, it was disabled in firmware (thank you Verizon) and the connections were not there to use it.

Just like CDMA support on the 950XL, sure the CPU could support it but, if the phone does not have the Attenna or other part of the chipset, enabling it via firmware will do nothing.

I want facts on this, or I will call 100% BS, everyone can claim this but, no one at all, not even a hair of proof of it... and a Android device supports it IS NOT PROOF as all hardware is different and the chipset is different on the 950XL.

If you 100% belive this, with no proof, then give me your CC info, I have a bridge to sell you...really nice and a really good deal..

Again, No proof, I stand on my case, The 950XL does not support Verizon wireless, and this should be made a sticky and this thread closed...

You have no proof it doesn't have HW capability for CDMA either, do you? SD810 SOC does support CDMA (go look it up) so chances are Verizon support may be enabled via SW or FW update. Do we know for 100% certainty? No.

MS said they will talk more about carrier availability soon so let's just wait and see.

oldpueblo

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site

Remember when Verizon cut down the RAM on the Touch Pro as well, and you had to get the AT&T/Sprint versions if you wanted a non-neutered device? Good times (not good times). :D

"Verizon. Better Matters!" (we can't just leave **** alone)

feereless

Sep 28, 2015
Visit site
verizon just sucks all around. upping unlim data cost by $20, running on decades old tech, not updating phones when they should...

great company. id hate to be on vzw. thank god im on att

goodsit2

Sep 28, 2012
Visit site
Okay, just to debunk the idea that people talking to MS chat saying that it would work on Verizon I called them myself. Originally, they said it would work on all networks because it is an unlocked phone, but I asked him how he/she knew this information he claimed it solely on the idea of it being "unlocked." I asked them if they had been given any information regarding carriers and he said none will be released to them until pre-orders are allowed which they have no clue to the date.

In essence, there's no point to calling/chatting with verizon/msft because we all have the same set of information. When they get the info, we will be able to hunt it down ourselves. Otherwise we are just generating false hope.

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
You have no proof it doesn't have HW capability for CDMA either, do you? SD810 SOC does support CDMA (go look it up) so chances are Verizon support may be enabled via SW or FW update. Do we know for 100% certainty? No..

Er...Ok, sure the CPU supports it sure, No crap (almost any modern mobile CPU supports CDMA now days)...but, the rest of the phone might not. Do we know at all ? Even a little ? Even a hair ? Does anyone on this forum know ?No we don't and have no clue for 100%

MS said they will talk more about carrier availability soon so let's just wait and see.

I hope your not holding your breath.

Microsoft CLEARLY said they have NO PLANS on working with Verizon..., this is stated in a bunch of places from some WELL KNOWN people in the Microsoft world. This alone puts a BIG CLEAR NO to me...

Man, I cant believe we are going over this BS again....Anyone remember when the Lumia 900 came out, Verizon customers (including myself a little) were complaining to the hill, JUST LIKE THIS. and then the fantasies came in Oh, it supports it in the chipset(CPU)....

Anyway about it.... If the Chipset and the PHONE supports CDMA, it does not matter AT ALL... then Microsoft disabled it for a reason and by releasing the phone with out the bands, that is IT. No one has EVER been able to hack a firmware (never mind a certificate protected firmware) to unlock a band. (IF I am wrong, them PROVE IT) Check through Android, iOS and even going back to Windows Mobile.

Unless Verizon comes out and dumps CASH at Microsoft to get over their issue, OR gives up on some big things (like update control, etc) and we all know Verizon wont do that, THINK they are too big. Then this is Verizon, so this cool new phone would not even come out for 6 months, till Verizon screws it up some how.

Right now, unless some magic press release comes soon, It's all just a guessing game, to sit here and say the 950XL fully supports Verizon, is a pipe dream. As it stands, WITH Microsofts support, No it does not. Period.

Sure dream it up and you'll find yourself very disappointed later.

Like I said, I got a bridge for sale, good deal, very large at a good price...

I am also interested in this phone and would love it on Verizon but, I have seen this game way too many times to think that this will change in anyway. If you have to have this phone, it's very, very, very, very, very slim chance you will see it on Verizon...

Okay, just to debunk the idea that people talking to MS chat saying that it would work on Verizon I called them myself. Originally, they said it would work on all networks because it is an unlocked phone, but I asked him how he/she knew this information he claimed it solely on the idea of it being "unlocked." I asked them if they had been given any information regarding carriers and he said none will be released to them until pre-orders are allowed which they have no clue to the date. .

Go back a few pages, I did the same thing and asked I was told it DOES support Verizon Wireless, a CLEAR yes. So I questioned her about CDMA and after about 10 min on chat, I was told "sorry, I was wrong"/

They are almost as bad as Verizon CS....Read through this whole thread, this has happened more than a few times...

Last edited:

TK2011

Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
DavidinCT, you don't know what you are talking about. I suggest you sit back,relax a bit and talk less. We will know soon enough. No need to kill ourselves with speculations.

dksf42

Jan 11, 2013
Visit site
What's interesting to me is the FCC certification docs are still not posted. Once available they will tell us definitively what bands the phone is legally cleared to use in the U.S., firmware/hardware capabilities notwithstanding. Perhaps this is a sign that negotiations are still ongoing and MS is dragging its feet clerically to make the final filing until they are 100% sure of what the launch situation is going to be.

Point being...the specs on the product page are subject to change (and are sometimes willfully inaccurate by omitting bands to placate business partners...(I remember a couple of phones that supported AWS even though their product pages did not list it.) but the FCC test/certification paperwork is pretty much set-in-stone at least for launch purposes. I'll keep a look out for RM-1116 docs and I'll post what I find if/when they make it to the FCC website.

Wow = nice catch TexasLabRat ... "NO posted FCC cert docs YET" ??????????????

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
Verizon lost a court case some time ago that forced them to unlock all their devices that were "world devices", aka could take a GSM SIM for when you wanted to travel overseas (or move to AT&T)..

Sort of, Verizon when they got the frequency for their 4G LTE network from the FCC, it was part of the agreement on them purchasing it(the LTE/SIM needed to be unlocked). If you look into CDMA phones, the 4G LTE part is unlocked but, the CDMA part is not (Sprint is the only other carrier in the US and they will not activate a Verizon phone so it's a non-issue).

This was a small but, in the news court battle about 8-10 years ago (about, I forget the exact date)

DavidinCT, you don't know what you are talking about. I suggest you sit back,relax a bit and talk less. We will know soon enough. No need to kill ourselves with speculations.

Really ? It's you who does not have a clue here. People who don't know history are destined to repeat it. Same thing your doing now.

This happened in the past, everyone got all crazy about it, just to be disappointed. The facts are the facts.

As I said, I hope something does change here but, with Microsoft's statements, let's just say I believe there is a 95% chance that Verizon WONT have this phone.

I do hope I am wrong...but, the sad thing is, I am pretty sure I am right...

TK2011

Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
It happened in the past but your signature shows Verizon somehow had all the top tier WP phones MS offered more or less? :)
Verizon may not get this phone at launch but chances are they will get it (or another version) a bit later. If you really can't sit tight a bit, you will just have to switch to ATT or TMO. Simple as that.

TK2011

Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
*IF* Verizon do have a plan to carry this phone in the future, look for a rumor leak about upcoming Verizon W10M device when L950/XL is just about to go on sale. They do this all the time to prevent existing customers giving up on VZW and jump ship to ATT. It's like clockwork.

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
*IF* Verizon do have a plan to carry this phone in the future, look for a rumor leak about upcoming Verizon W10M device when L950/XL is just about to go on sale. They do this all the time to prevent existing customers giving up on VZW and jump ship to ATT. It's like clockwork.

We will agree to disagree here. I hope your right, I really do but, don't get your hopes up too high, as you might be really let down.

I guess we let the rumor mill grow... :-/

dksf42

Jan 11, 2013
Visit site
We will agree to disagree here. I hope your right, I really do but, don't get your hopes up too high, as you might be really let down.

I guess we let the rumor mill grow... :-/

YES, we just let the rumor mill grow - and - this thread is a "democratic statement of extreme discontent"! There WAS a similar thread about the Icon = Microsoft RESPONDED "for us users" for many months (over 6 as I recall) AFTER Verizon stopped selling the Icon, by selling the Verizon Icon DIRECT at Microsoft Online and even I stores!!!

How do we know "how much, if any" OUR VOICES had on that decision? Next take the many months and MONTHS of anger and uproar over Denim UNTIL Joe Belifore himself "assured us that Microsoft WAS WORKING HARD on that!!!

SO ...what is wrong with "a BIG UPROAR over the 950XL working on Verizon"???

Clockwork_Mechanic

Sep 30, 2013
Visit site
I talked to a representative today over the phone. She said that the 950XL should work on their network. Since the phone isn't available yet, she couldn't say for sure, but after looking at the bands that were available to the phone, she said it should work fine.
Since Band 13 is not supported, should you hit an area where that band is the only one, you will probably lose signal. She said most of the bands overlap, however, so it shouldn't be too much of an issue..

motto518

Nov 25, 2013
Visit site
Go to a Microsoft Store anywhere near you if you have one, (yes I know they are not everywhere). On the very bottom of the "Fact Tag" it clearly states basically in bold "THIS PHONE WILL NOT WORK ON CDMA NETWORKS"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss