12-02-2015 11:33 PM
1,084 ... 2223242526 ...
tools
    I put the new Win10 on my phone. Seems to be less of a drain this time around, but only got it loaded last night. There is supposed to be another preview soon with a fix for that as Cortana seems to be the culprit. I'm hoping Microsoft and Verizon work something out asap, but I'm very satisfied with my Icon. Haven't found anything better, yet.
    aximtreo likes this.
    10-15-2015 09:38 AM
    That's the fence I'm on...the timing with the offer to get the top of the line iPhone and this latest build of Windows 10 on my ICON draining batter worse than ever, it has caused me to reflect...it is just to hard to have to try to go to Android or iOS. :(
    I'm in the same boat too. I already have much invested in the Windows ecosystem in terms of games and apps. That being said, Microsoft has released a lot of core Windows Phone features on Android and iOS now so transitioning wouldn't be too hard. I'd still prefer to stay in the Windows ecosystem though.
    10-15-2015 09:42 AM
    I put the new Win10 on my phone. Seems to be less of a drain this time around, but only got it loaded last night. There is supposed to be another preview soon with a fix for that as Cortana seems to be the culprit. I'm hoping Microsoft and Verizon work something out asap, but I'm very satisfied with my Icon. Haven't found anything better, yet.
    This build is snappier...and one thing we need to remember, there seems to be a lot of "chatter" (for a lack of better words) when installing a new build with it resyncing text messages, OneDrive pictures and other various synced settings and features...I just rebooted my ICON...when battery is back to 100%, I'm going to take it off the charger and get a true report on the battery drain.
    10-15-2015 09:44 AM
    Funny situation at work yesterday...our company owner saw me fiddling with my ICON and going back to 8.1 to load this new build on it, so I let him know my phone would be out for a bit. He said get yourself a top of the line iPhone 6s+. Tempting but I just love my Windows Phone. When he saw my phone was back in order but I was commenting on how now Cortana is braining the battery on this build, he said, go on...get you an iPhone 6s+, 128GB. Oh, why is it so hard to pry this ICON out of my hand and why do I think there is hope for a Lumia 950xl working on Verizon eventually?
    If work is buying the device and paying the monthly fee, only on Verizon, take the iPhone. Buy the 950(XL) from Microsoft and go prepaid GSM.
    garak0410 likes this.
    10-15-2015 09:45 AM
    This build is snappier...and one thing we need to remember, there seems to be a lot of "chatter" (for a lack of better words) when installing a new build with it resyncing text messages, OneDrive pictures and other various synced settings and features...I just rebooted my ICON...when battery is back to 100%, I'm going to take it off the charger and get a true report on the battery drain.
    I'm scared to put the new build on my phone because I put one of the early builds on my 928 and it caused so many issues with my phone like knocking the battery down from all day to just an hour on a full charge. Not to mention while letting it charge over night, sometimes for some reason, the phone would get extremely hot and almost burn my hand to pick it up. The build basically destroyed my phone and I had to use the warranty I had on it to get a replacement 928. Ever since then, I've been hesitant to put Windows 10 mobile on my phone again.
    10-15-2015 09:52 AM
    AT&T has stopped, Verizon has not and continues to insert trackers unless you explicitly opt out. Ad-blockers don't stop it.

As for what it has to do with working on Verizon's network, the question is why you would want this or any other phone on a carrier who blatantly is tracking your every online action.

can you point us to your source please?
    10-15-2015 10:06 AM
    can you point us to your source please?
    Just google verizon tracking. As they said, you CAN opt out, but it is otherwise opt in by default.
    10-15-2015 10:14 AM
    Just google verizon tracking. As they said, you CAN opt out, but it is otherwise opt in by default.
    I'm guessing you are talking about this: Be Afraid: Verizon?s Supercookies to Merge With AOL's Ad-Tracking Network

Why Privacy Experts Are Worried About Verizon?s ?Zombie Cookie? That?s Now Going to Share Data With AOL?s Ad Network ? What It Means for You | TheBlaze.com

Verizon Is Watching: Company Expands Data-Tracking Program -- The Motley Fool (sometimes people take this site with a grain of salt, so I had to find other links).
    10-15-2015 10:18 AM
    10-15-2015 10:22 AM
    FWIW, dpinside wasn't clear what he wanted proof of. It could have been the fact the AT&T is NOT doing it.
    10-15-2015 10:39 AM
    FWIW, dpinside wasn't clear what he wanted proof of. It could have been the fact the AT&T is NOT doing it.
    OK:

AT&T ends tracking of customers by "supercookie"

AT&T Drops 'Super Cookie' Mobile Tracking | News & Opinion | PCMag.com

AT&T ends controversial use of perma-cookies to track users - TechRepublic
    theefman and HoosierDaddy like this.
    10-15-2015 10:46 AM
    Just to add some perspective, there are not millions of Windows Phone users on Verizon. WP has about 5.7 million users in the US (April ComScore numbers). Verizon has about 12 percent of those users which means about 700,000 users. Also since in the US about 43% of phone sales are high end phones, you really are talking about 300k potential customers. Given how poorly high end Windows phones have historically done on Verizon the number is probably quite a bit smaller than that.

I really want one of these phones myself but it looks like I will have to hang onto my Icon for a while yet.
    Thanks djarchow for your analysis and "estimates" - but, frankly I am STUNNED by this LOW number, if true. Our family personally has 5 Lumia devices, dating back to the Lumia 928 - including 2 Icons. Following your analysis, that would "place" the total "Windows Phone POPULATION in the US logically at "something LESS than 700,000" ... but, I know a number of "multiple Lumia families"?

I have read through separate articles that that there are reportedly now over 100 MILLION Windows Phones sold worldwide.

Can anyone else verify that the TOTAL "Verizon" Windows Phone "population" is 700,000 or less as we really need to dig deeper.
    10-15-2015 11:07 AM
    Do you think the reason this thread is so large is that because there is no out and out statement from Microsoft or Verizon on an official statement if the unlocked phone will work or not? Could ongoing, last minute discussions be holding up the pre-orders?
    Brett Sites likes this.
    10-15-2015 12:02 PM
    Do you think the reason this thread is so large is that because there is no out and out statement from Microsoft or Verizon on an official statement if the unlocked phone will work or not? Could ongoing, last minute discussions be holding up the pre-orders?
    Only for the most hopeful on the board. I'm not counting on it because Verizon has been, and I'm quoting here "100% a d*ck" to Windows Phone.
    Brett Sites and theefman like this.
    10-15-2015 12:11 PM
    no. it's the innate human desire to bicker over something without knowing all the facts.

IT WON'T WORK ON VERIZON, PEOPLE!
    920Walker likes this.
    10-15-2015 12:12 PM
    Will just voice ( calling) work with a Verizon SIM? Personally, I have at&t and will continue on their network. However my work phone is Verizon. Since the 950 XL is dual SIM, it would be great if I could pop in my work SIM and not have to carry two phones. I wouldn't care if data didn't work on the Verizon sim because I'd just use mine from at&t, but would need to receive work calls and texts. Anyone know if that would work?
    Last edited by johnnyrussoa3; 10-15-2015 at 12:36 PM.
    10-15-2015 12:25 PM
    That is incorrect. See http://forums.windowscentral.com/mic...tm#post3254391

114195d1444701442t-wp_20151012_002.jpg

"Phone will not work with CDMA carriers."
    That is a very official and definitive statement.
    920Walker likes this.
    10-15-2015 12:27 PM
    That is incorrect. See http://forums.windowscentral.com/mic...tm#post3254391

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	114195d1444701442t-wp_20151012_002.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	24.3 KB 
ID:	114431

"Phone will not work with CDMA carriers."
    That is a very official and definitive statement.
    Though I still hold out hope for a, say, 959xl for CDMA, that picture should effectively end this thread... :(
    10-15-2015 12:32 PM
    Though I still hold out hope for a, say, 959xl for CDMA, that picture should effectively end this thread... :(
    Well, it was posted earlier and didn't end it so... hope springs eternal! ;)

But yes, maybe another phone will have CDMA. This one doesn't.
    10-15-2015 12:35 PM
    Maybe if the picture read "...will not work on Verizon" instead of "CDMA network" ;)
    Steve Adams likes this.
    10-15-2015 12:50 PM
    idk if this was posted or not but if you have a active sim card and you put it in a phone that's unlocked but also compatible with Verizon it will work.... I had a Nexus 6 they refused to activate it because it wasn't in their system I cut my sim and put it in the phone and it worked as long as it has the correct bands it should work and that's what I'm hoping for I'm going to try it once I get my hands on one

Edit: just saw the photo well that sucks guess ill continue to wait
    10-15-2015 01:05 PM
    When the official FCC filings are public, then we know for sure.
    mjperry51 likes this.
    10-15-2015 01:19 PM
    Hypothetically, even though its not compatible with CDMA networks, it might still be compatible with Verizon's LTE network. It does indeed lack support for Verizon's most commonly used band 13, but it does support Verizon's other bands, 2 and 4. One of those bands, Verizon is required by the FCC to accept all compatible phones.

However, even if an activated SIM works like in the 950, you'll basically be limited to data-only. Im not sure if Verizon supports VoLTE yet for calls and texts.
    10-15-2015 01:23 PM
    That's the fence I'm on...the timing with the offer to get the top of the line iPhone and this latest build of Windows 10 on my ICON draining batter worse than ever, it has caused me to reflect...it is just to hard to have to try to go to Android or iOS. :(
    You do what's best for you bro, I'll be a friendly devil's advocate though. What if a new build comes out in two weeks and everyone is raving about how W10 is finally stable/ready for primetime. How will you feel about that, will you stare at your Icon sitting in a drawer and end up putting the iPhone in the drawer now? If you did and your boss saw this, would he feel like they wasted money on you? You can always go back to 8.1 and have a stable Icon, and give yourself until the launch of the 950's to decide on moving to W10 or an iPhone. I have a 930 and I want so badly to use W10 as a daily driver, but I rely on my phone for work and I'm afraid to do it. In the meantime I still enjoy my 930. :)
    10-15-2015 01:34 PM
    Yeah, that photo would, by any account, both end this thread and any speculation on this matter.
    A document *in the Microsoft store* says the device won't work with CDMA carriers. Story, end of, as Yoda would say.

Personally, I'm bewildered a bit, since the largest carrier in China is also CDMA, that Microsoft is effectively ceding mobile hardware, in most of the Chinese consumer market (shakes head).
    But the Chinese loves them those iPhones.
    10-15-2015 01:38 PM
1,084 ... 2223242526 ...