Will an "unlocked" 950XL work on Verizon?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dpinside

Oct 6, 2015
Visit site
AT&T has stopped, Verizon has not and continues to insert trackers unless you explicitly opt out. Ad-blockers don't stop it.

As for what it has to do with working on Verizon's network, the question is why you would want this or any other phone on a carrier who blatantly is tracking your every online action.

can you point us to your source please?

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site

dksf42

Jan 11, 2013
Visit site
Just to add some perspective, there are not millions of Windows Phone users on Verizon. WP has about 5.7 million users in the US (April ComScore numbers). Verizon has about 12 percent of those users which means about 700,000 users. Also since in the US about 43% of phone sales are high end phones, you really are talking about 300k potential customers. Given how poorly high end Windows phones have historically done on Verizon the number is probably quite a bit smaller than that.

I really want one of these phones myself but it looks like I will have to hang onto my Icon for a while yet.

Thanks djarchow for your analysis and "estimates" - but, frankly I am STUNNED by this LOW number, if true. Our family personally has 5 Lumia devices, dating back to the Lumia 928 - including 2 Icons. Following your analysis, that would "place" the total "Windows Phone POPULATION in the US logically at "something LESS than 700,000" ... but, I know a number of "multiple Lumia families"?

I have read through separate articles that that there are reportedly now over 100 MILLION Windows Phones sold worldwide.

Can anyone else verify that the TOTAL "Verizon" Windows Phone "population" is 700,000 or less as we really need to dig deeper.

garak0410

Jan 8, 2009
Visit site
Do you think the reason this thread is so large is that because there is no out and out statement from Microsoft or Verizon on an official statement if the unlocked phone will work or not? Could ongoing, last minute discussions be holding up the pre-orders?

msft_tinkering

Sep 16, 2010
Visit site
Do you think the reason this thread is so large is that because there is no out and out statement from Microsoft or Verizon on an official statement if the unlocked phone will work or not? Could ongoing, last minute discussions be holding up the pre-orders?

Only for the most hopeful on the board. I'm not counting on it because Verizon has been, and I'm quoting here "100% a d*ck" to Windows Phone.

johnnyrussoa3

Nov 4, 2012
Visit site
Will just voice ( calling) work with a Verizon SIM? Personally, I have at&t and will continue on their network. However my work phone is Verizon. Since the 950 XL is dual SIM, it would be great if I could pop in my work SIM and not have to carry two phones. I wouldn't care if data didn't work on the Verizon sim because I'd just use mine from at&t, but would need to receive work calls and texts. Anyone know if that would work?

Last edited:

MikeSo

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site

cdubbsworld

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
idk if this was posted or not but if you have a active sim card and you put it in a phone that's unlocked but also compatible with Verizon it will work.... I had a Nexus 6 they refused to activate it because it wasn't in their system I cut my sim and put it in the phone and it worked as long as it has the correct bands it should work and that's what I'm hoping for I'm going to try it once I get my hands on one

Edit: just saw the photo well that sucks guess ill continue to wait

Generalheed

Jan 22, 2015
Visit site
Hypothetically, even though its not compatible with CDMA networks, it might still be compatible with Verizon's LTE network. It does indeed lack support for Verizon's most commonly used band 13, but it does support Verizon's other bands, 2 and 4. One of those bands, Verizon is required by the FCC to accept all compatible phones.

However, even if an activated SIM works like in the 950, you'll basically be limited to data-only. Im not sure if Verizon supports VoLTE yet for calls and texts.

oldpueblo

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
That's the fence I'm on...the timing with the offer to get the top of the line iPhone and this latest build of Windows 10 on my ICON draining batter worse than ever, it has caused me to reflect...it is just to hard to have to try to go to Android or iOS. :(

You do what's best for you bro, I'll be a friendly devil's advocate though. What if a new build comes out in two weeks and everyone is raving about how W10 is finally stable/ready for primetime. How will you feel about that, will you stare at your Icon sitting in a drawer and end up putting the iPhone in the drawer now? If you did and your boss saw this, would he feel like they wasted money on you? You can always go back to 8.1 and have a stable Icon, and give yourself until the launch of the 950's to decide on moving to W10 or an iPhone. I have a 930 and I want so badly to use W10 as a daily driver, but I rely on my phone for work and I'm afraid to do it. In the meantime I still enjoy my 930. :)

Apr 6, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, that photo would, by any account, both end this thread and any speculation on this matter.
A document *in the Microsoft store* says the device won't work with CDMA carriers. Story, end of, as Yoda would say.

Personally, I'm bewildered a bit, since the largest carrier in China is also CDMA, that Microsoft is effectively ceding mobile hardware, in most of the Chinese consumer market (shakes head).
But the Chinese loves them those iPhones.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb