Will an "unlocked" 950XL work on Verizon?

Status
Not open for further replies.

NOLATechy

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
FYI, I chatted with an AT&T representative who informed me that AT&T will DEFINITELY be carrying BOTH the Lumia 950 and 950XL. If Big Red can't get onboard with what will be the BEST phone out there (IMO much better than iPhone 6S Plus), then screw 'em, I'll gladly go back to AT&T since their coverage in New Orleans is on par with VZW anyway.

muddytoad

Sep 17, 2013
Visit site
I just looked on MS Store and the Lumia 735 (Verizon) connectivity bands for CDMA & LTE match the 950. The 950 has even more as you would expect. My thoughts are YES.

Jeddic

Mar 27, 2015
Visit site
And this is what pisses me off about Microsoft. They insist they want to be relevant in the mobile arena but price their flagships way too high and they don't seem to care if carriers want them or not. Just 3 more Lumia's chucked into the fray.

I don't think that pricing these 200 dollars below competing devices is a bad price at all. If you don't like paying less to get a similarly equipped flagship, I'd guess it's because you don't like Windows 10. Many iPhone fans wouldn't buy a Galaxy S6 Edge or Sony Z5 for even $100, because they really love iOS. Many of them wouldn't even use Android if you paid them. Does that mean that Android flagships are ridiculously priced? No, it just means those people have a preference for iOS. The converse is true for iOS, many Android users wouldn't touch it.

I personally like Windows. I enjoy using WP and I see it as a bonus on a phone. If I were buying a phone now, I'd pay for a 950 what I'd pay for an iPhone or Z5. If you think that the same phone should be half the price if it comes with W10, then it's probably not the OS for you. And that's ok, because there's an option for everyone.

Last edited:

Justinius

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
As does the 735 marketed for Verizon.

[FONT=wf_SegoeUI]GSM network: 850MHz, 900MHz, 1800MHz, 1900MHz[/FONT]
[FONT=wf_SegoeUI]GSM max data speed DL: EGPRS 296.0kbps[/FONT]
[FONT=wf_SegoeUI]GSM max data speed UL: EGPRS 236.8kbps[/FONT]
[FONT=wf_SegoeUI]WCDMA Band 1 (2100 MHz), Band 5 (850 MHz), Band 8 (900 MHz)[/FONT]
[FONT=wf_SegoeUI]WCDMA max data speed DL: 42.2Mbps (Cat 24)[/FONT]
[FONT=wf_SegoeUI]WCDMA max data speed UL: 5.76Mbps (Cat 6)[/FONT]
[FONT=wf_SegoeUI]LTE FDD network: Band 20 (800MHz), Band 3 (1800 MHz), Band 7 (2600 MHz)[/FONT]
[FONT=wf_SegoeUI]LTE max data speed DL: 150 Mbps (Cat 4)[/FONT]
[FONT=wf_SegoeUI]LTE max data speed UL: 50 Mbps (Cat 4)

950XL
[FONT=wf_segoe-ui]GSM network: 850 MHz, 900 MHz, 1800 MHz, 1900 MHz
[/FONT]
[FONT=wf_segoe-ui]GSM max data speed DL: EGPRS 296.0 kbps
[/FONT]
[FONT=wf_segoe-ui]GSM max data speed UL: EGPRS 236.8 kbps
[/FONT]
[FONT=wf_segoe-ui]WCDMA network: Band 1 (2100 MHz), Band 2 (1900 MHz), Band 4 (1700/2100 MHz), Band 5 (850 MHz), Band 8 (900 MHz)
[/FONT]
[FONT=wf_segoe-ui]WCDMA max data speed DL: 42.2 Mbps (Cat 24)
[/FONT]
[FONT=wf_segoe-ui]WCDMA max data speed UL: 5.76 Mbps (Cat 6)
[/FONT]
[FONT=wf_segoe-ui]LTE FDD network: Band 1 (2100 MHz), Band 2 (1900 MHz), Band 3 (1800 MHz), Band 4 (1700/2100 MHz), Band 5 (850MHz), Band 7 (2600 MHz), Band 8 (900MHz), Band 12 (700 MHz), Band 20 (800MHz), Band 28 (700 MHz)\
[/FONT]
[FONT=wf_segoe-ui]TD-LTE network: Band 38 (2570-2620 MHz), Band 40 (2300-2400 MHz)
[/FONT]
[FONT=wf_segoe-ui]LTE max data speed DL: 300 Mbps (Cat 6) [/FONT][FONT=wf_segoe-ui]LTE max data speed UL: 50 Mbps (Cat 6) [/FONT][/FONT]

primortal

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
Not according to Verizon Wireless page, Microsoft Lumia 735 | Verizon Wireless
Network: LTE Band 13/4 (700/1700 MHz), CDMA/1xEVDO Rev. A (800/1900 MHz)

CDMA and LTE Band 13 are missing from the 950's.

Even Microsoft page, Microsoft Lumia 735 Specifications - Microsoft - USA
GSM network: 850 MHz, 900 MHz, 1800 MHz, 1900 MHz
GSM max data speed DL: EGPRS 296.0 kbps
GSM max data speed UL: EGPRS 236.8 kbps
WCDMA network: Band 1 (2100 MHz), Band 2 (1900 MHz), Band 5 (850 MHz)
WCDMA max data speed DL: 21.1 Mbps (Cat 14)
WCDMA max data speed UL: 5.76 Mbps (Cat 6)
LTE FDD network: Band 2 (1900 MHz), Band 4 (1700/2100 MHz), Band 13 (700MHz)
LTE max data speed DL: 150 Mbps (Cat 4)
LTE max data speed UL: 50 Mbps (Cat 4)
CDMA network bands: BC1 (1900 MHz), BC0 (800 MHz)
CDMA max data speed DL: Rev 0 /A 2.4 Mbps /3.1 Mbps
CDMA max data speed UL: Rev 0 /A 153.2 kbps /1.8 Mbps

Ben Schmidt1

Jan 29, 2015
Visit site
I don't think that pricing these 200 dollars below competing devices is a bad price at all. If you don't like paying less to get a similarly equipped flagship, I'd guess it's because you don't like Windows 10. Many iPhone fans wouldn't buy a Galaxy S6 Edge or Sony Z5 for even $100, because they really love iOS. Many of them wouldn't even use Android if you paid them. Does that mean that Android flagships are ridiculously priced? No, it just means those people have a preference for iOS. The converse is true for iOS, many Android users wouldn't touch it.

I personally like Windows. I enjoy using WP and I see it as a bonus on a phone. If I were buying a phone now, I'd pay for a 950 what I'd pay for an iPhone or Z5. If you think that the same phone should be half the price if it comes with W10, then it's probably not the OS for you. And that's ok, because there's an option for everyone.

This is the power of advertising.... a lot of customers (not all of them) don't know what they like. They're told they like iOS, hence they buy an iphone... the fact that all their friends have an iphone helps encourage them to get that particular brand. Many of my friends are now switching from ios to other names... mainly android... because of how boring ios is. It has been relatively the same layout for years, which has worked for them. It doesn't have that fresh look to it anymore. Does it have the apps? Obviously. Does it have the customer support? Very much so. Doesn't make it the best os... just a really popular one.

primortal

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site

11B1P

Sep 5, 2011
Visit site
You can't tell people what to do with their money though!

#Choices

I'm not saying what to do with your money. The phone is no good if you switch to a carrier with terrible service. Obviously some places offer great service from all the carriers so it's no big deal. But switch to a sub par provider coverage and you'll be disappointed.

shakermaker41

Jun 9, 2011
Visit site
Depends on how much you use your phone to talk. I for one spend most of my time on the phone at work, on my work phone. My personal phone I rarely make any calls, mainly to my wife or family. I can definitely live with mediocre service, but I know that's not true for everyone.

Trov1

Oct 8, 2015
Visit site
Someone has already posted this, but no one seems to have read it.

The Qualcomm 808 and 810 will support all networks. They aren't going to make MS a one off chip to put in their phones.

There won't be any hardware problem to running these phones on any network. Could MS change the OS to not allow the use on other networks or could Verizon not allow it, I guess possible, I don't know. Go look at the specs for the chips on Qualcomms site.

For those that can't find it.

Integrated X10 LTE, with Global Mode supporting LTE FDD, LTE TDD, WCDMA (DB-DC-HSDPA, DC-HSUPA), CDMA1x, EV-DO, TD-SCDMA and GSM/EDGE
Cat 9 speeds of up to 450 Mbps with support for up to 3x20 MHz carrier aggregation on LTE FDD and LTE TDD
Support for LTE Broadcast, LTE multimode dual SIM (DSDS and DSDA) and VoLTE with HD Voice and SRVCC

Again it won't be hardware stopping these phones.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
We went over this at length already earlier in the discussion. If you have anything substantial to add, let's hear it.

He's talking about this:

It's up to Verizon. If you can bring our own Nexus and iPhone, that's because they are desirable phones for them to have on the network. They allow them. It's not like GSM where the carrier HAS to allow a phone (that's how the standard is). Verizon can still choose to deny Microsoft phones. Which I bet they would, since they really don't care, and that minuscule number of customers are treated more like a hassle than an asset.

This is in fact misinformation. Verizon does not, and will not, block any compatible unlocked phone. In fact, while they technically could, there's no way they would. They'd have the FCC all over them in a heartbeat. They would have to blacklist them, like they do for phones that aren't paid for or are stolen.

I don't think we need to rehash what "supporting" and "whitelisting" mean. They are different than "allowing." You should at least change your terminology. A phone does not have to be supported or whitelisted to work on Verizon.

It's not like GSM where the carrier HAS to allow a phone (that's how the standard is).

Actually, the way Verizon operates, it is like that. I have a non-Verizon Nexus 6, and I have never activated it. I don't know if GSM carriers HAVE to allow a phone, and I don't know if Verizon HAS to allow a phone. I do know that they both do allow any unlocked compatible phone.

Verizon is out to make a buck, just like AT&T and Microsoft and every other business on the planet. They obviously weighed the pluses and minuses and decided it wasn't worth whatever it would take.

AT&T is no saint either. From what I understand, the past exclusives have been due to AT&T's demands. AFAIK, they told Microsoft they'd carry WP only if they were exclusive. And I wouldn't doubt that Microsoft paid AT&T as well. So you can blame AT&T for the 950 not being available on the other carriers, if the reason is the same as in the past.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taylormcintire