Will an "unlocked" 950XL work on Verizon?

Status
Not open for further replies.

letmethinkaboutit

Sep 2, 2015
Visit site
but it does not have any cdma frequencies which is required to work with verizon ...i guess in that case it will not work with verizon....because verizon has weird network (cdma plus LTE(which is kind of gms)). I am not sure but this what I understand. Here is lumia icon spec from microsoft

Cellular connectivity3
GSM network: 850 MHz, 900 MHz, 1800 MHz, 1900 MHz
GSM max data speed DL: EGPRS 236.8 kbps
GSM max data speed UL: EGPRS 236.8 kbps
WCDMA network: Band 1 (2100 MHz), Band 2 (1900 MHz), Band 5 (850 MHz), Band 8 (900 MHz)
WCDMA max data speed DL: 21.1 Mbps (Cat 14)
WCDMA max data speed UL: 5.76 Mbps (Cat 6)
LTE FDD network: Band 4 (1700/2100 MHz), Band 13 (700MHz)
LTE max data speed DL: 150 Mbps (Cat 4)
LTE max data speed UL: 50 Mbps (Cat 4)
CDMA network bands: BC0, BC1
CDMA max data speed DL: Rev 0 /A 2.4 Mbps /3.1 Mbps
CDMA max data speed UL: Rev 0 /A 153.2 kbps /1.8 Mbps

Clearly 950 and 950xl miss last few things (CDMA).

tk-093

Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
Without Verizon WP has no chance in the US. AT&T is now barely ahead of TMo in terms of subscriber base, and if you combined both of them you only just reach the subscriber numbers of VZ. I do not know what the problem there is, but without VZ Microsoft is dead in the water in the US.

Verizon Wireless: 135.4 million (Q2 2015)
AT&T Mobility: 123.9 million (Q2 2015)
T-Mobile US: 58.9 million (Q2 2015)
Sprint Corporation: 57.2 million (Q2 2015)

BCrosby2109

Jul 28, 2014
Visit site
Ok, I think we can put this issue to bed. The bottom line is that Microsoft botched the 950 and 950XL by NOT including support for CDMA carriers. They should have sold these phones in their stores as unlocked and thru other venues and not thru carriers. If Apple can make a true world phone (Verizon model) then Microsoft should have as well. They are still too monolithic in their thinking and will loose more market share because they do not understand how to make and cell phones. Would have to seen these on Verison. Maybe they will relase one that will be compatable with Verizon in early Q1 2016 once the early sales numbers are out!

Last edited:

MikeSo

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
Next month we'll see Verizon and Microsoft announce that the Lumia 950/XL are the very first ALL LTE phones that work with Verizon using VoLTE!! Woohoo!! ;)

oldpueblo

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
Has anyone considered the fact that to have bands that work with Verizon specifically (unique worldwide remember) requires the cooperation of Verizon? I don't know the answer to that, but for all I know there is licensing or schematics or something that Verizon has to provide. Their network after all is probably not what one would consider an "open standard". Think of it like this, no Windows Phone has been useable on Verizon without Verizon themselves launching it. I'm curious to know if there's more to it, I highly doubt MS would just cut out Verizon support or not add it in/enable it for malicious reasons. What I find much more likely is Verizon not playing ball with MS since they have a very long history of doing exactly that.

oldpueblo

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
Verizon Wireless: 135.4 million (Q2 2015)
AT&T Mobility: 123.9 million (Q2 2015)
T-Mobile US: 58.9 million (Q2 2015)
Sprint Corporation: 57.2 million (Q2 2015)

Thanks for posting this, I was going to look it up because I knew this claim was bogus. "90% of the US is Verizon" and "MS has no chance without Verizon" is complete horse****. What's with Verizon users thinking they have the best network and nobody else can touch it? Stop drinking the Kool-Aid guys, more subscribers does not equal better network. It equals more marketing and more contract lock-in/strong-arming. AT&T/T-Mobile's network technically includes the entire globe, deal with that coverage statistic. :p And on GSM you have generally four levels of speed not just LTE then drop way down to 3G. I've had just as many dead spots with Verizon as I've had with AT&T, just in different areas. Free yourselves with GSM.

tigermcm

Mar 28, 2011
Visit site
this is how I see it....MS said they are releasing 6 phones, 2 flagship, 2 budget, 2 business. the two flagship and 1 budget just happened and for att and tmo sooooo they wont be some "verizon" varient. if verizon does get a new phone its more than likely the other budget one

Tjarren

Apr 17, 2011
Visit site
Honestly, even if you are on AT&T, this should be really bad news. Why?

Because how can the marketshare of W10M grow fast enough for developers to invest in it (even just to port their iOS and/or Android apps) if these devices are limited to one carrier in the US (and apparently none in Canada)?

This has formally shaken any faith I had in W10M's success. I really thought (hoped?) that MS had a forward-thinking plan here and I'm sorry but this is just not it. In many ways, this feels less hopeful than the launch of WP7 ...

Sick Freak

Feb 16, 2014
Visit site
You should be renewing your contract, like immediately.

Sent from whatever device I happen to be using today using Tapatalk

I don't think any of us that have the grandfathered unlimited data have contracts to renew - we're on month-to-month.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
I don't think any of us that have the grandfathered unlimited data have contracts to renew - we're on month-to-month.

I have unlimited data, and I renewed my contract in November 2014. I'm good for another 13 months. Verizon customers are still upgrading and keeping their unlimited data today. There's a loophole. Search something like "Verizon unlimited data Best Buy upgrade."

Besides extending your contract (which is a benefit in this case), you get a subsidized phone. You might as well; with the old plan you're paying the same price whether or not you're under contract. Of course the plan costs more than pretty much anything else in existence, but due to Verizon's agreement with the FCC a Verizon unlimited data plan is by far the best of any of them.

Digitalmonk73

Sep 6, 2014
Visit site
Reading through much of this thread and people comparing and debating etc.

The Snapdragon 810 supports basically everything Verizon needs:

Integrated X10 LTE, with Global Mode supporting LTE FDD, LTE TDD, WCDMA (DB-DC-HSDPA, DC-HSUPA), CDMA1x, EV-DO, TD-SCDMA and GSM/EDGE

Cat 9 speeds of up to 450 Mbps with support for up to 3x20 MHz carrier aggregation on LTE FDD and LTE TDD

Support for LTE Broadcast, LTE multimode dual SIM (DSDS and DSDA) and VoLTE with HD Voice and SRVCC

QUALCOMM[dot]com/products/snapdragon/processors/810

Does Qualcomm hand out custom chips to companies?

So the question is if it is unlocked, how much of it is unlocked?

Are the specs listed complete?

FWIW - I'll leave VZW for AT&T if nothing changes between now and the end of the year. I know not everyone has that choice.

Dumb pipes need to remain dumb pipes.

DustinRyan

Nov 11, 2013
Visit site
I have unlimited data, and I renewed my contract in November 2014. I'm good for another 13 months. Verizon customers are still upgrading and keeping their unlimited data today. There's a loophole. Search something like "Verizon unlimited data Best Buy upgrade."

Besides extending your contract (which is a benefit in this case), you get a subsidized phone. You might as well; with the old plan you're paying the same price whether or not you're under contract. Of course the plan costs more than pretty much anything else in existence, but due to Verizon's agreement with the FCC a Verizon unlimited data plan is by far the best of any of them.

There WAS a loophole. Doesn't exist anymore, at least not that I know of. There was a way you could add a new line to the account with the phone you wanted, device change it over to your actual phone line, and then slap an old basic phone on the new line to remove the data plan you added to that new line to allow a smartphone. But Verizon plugged it, by not allowing you to take data off a new line, even if you were switching that line to a basic phone. So now you are stuck with a new line with data you don't need. So, an extra $40 per month on your bill for 2 years.

It was a good loophole. There are a couple others for different purposes that still work, but Verizon recently came up with a way to track these patterns, so now the reps that do these acts of fraud (which is really what this is), get in trouble (aka fired).

Only way to get a phone and keep unlimited data is to pay full retail. Or, use WiFi. You'd be amazed how much money it could save you. OR, move to the Verizon Max data plan. It's 6GB instead of unlimited, but it's the same cost as 2GB normally on the older plan. So a good consolation prize for anyone who doesn't want to go to the newer, simpler plans.

sprtfan

Oct 9, 2013
Visit site
Any chance that Microsoft disable the bands needed for Verizon as a concession to other phone manufactures so they would produce some higher end W10 phones? I think I've seen it mentioned a few times that Microsoft would prefer not to be the major hardware provider and wanted other manufactures to step up. I could see a few of the manufactures not wanting to make a phone that has a small market share and would have to compete directly with the new 950 and 950xl? Probably just wishful thinking I guess because I'm stuck on Verizon and would like to get a new phone. If not one from MS, it would be nice if I had some options.

DustinRyan

Nov 11, 2013
Visit site
I'm curious about something but I can never get a straight answer from someone who actually sells phones: do you sell Windows Phones? I don't mean if your store carries them. I mean: do people buy them? What is the ratio of sales compared to iPhones and Androids? What is the return rate? And what is the reason for returns? Are sales lower because the phones are not displayed and pushed? Or are the phones not displayed or pushed because they do not sell?

I'm curious to hear about WP sales in the real world from your perspective.

I'd be glad to answer. Windows Phones are displayed in corporate stores. In 3rd party retail, usually not. I'll describe both:

Corporate:
-Windows Phones are usually displayed. I'd say 1 on average. Never a range. Sometimes I see 2 on display on rare occasions.
-Do reps pitch it? Doubtful. Most reps have iPhone or Android. They pitch what they know. Although Windows Phone commission is on par with Android, reps just pitch what they can guarantee will get them a sale.
-Do people buy them? Yup. Less and less every day, though, because the availability of options (especially anything not low end) are dwindling. Hard to pitch an upgrade from something like a Galaxy S4 to a Lumia 735 when it's not much of an upgrade.

Premium Retail (3rd party, Wireless Zone, Diamond Wireless (my company), Target, Best Buy, etc.)
-How many people buy Windows Phone? Very, very few. For many reasons. Not educated on it, reps don't pitch it, Verizon doesn't have many standout Windows Phones, stock is low, etc. Maybe 1 out of every 200 people mention they are interested in a Windows Phone.
-My store, like most premium retail locations, don't stock Windows Phones anymore. We stocked the Lumia 822, 928, and Icon, but once the Icon was discontinued, we stopped stocking Windows Phones, entirely. They are special order, only. Probably the same with many 3rd party stores. It takes up inventory, and 3rd party usually just carries the popular phones because they need to stretch budgets a little further than corporate Verizon. Plus, the niche phones that very few people want, are not worth stocking if it means wasting inventory space for 1 sale per 6 months for Windows Phone.
-People ask about it, and often when they see my Icon, they want my phone, but get let down when I say they can't get it from Verizon anymore. And usually opt for Android as a consolation. They just want a phone today. They don't want to wait, and don't care for carrier games. So they just go with whatever is available. Most Windows Phone users on Verizon only have it because it was cheap or free, previously. And don't know much about phones, so they just go with whatever is recommended to them.
-I sell Windows Phones. Or, I did, until we stopped stocking them, and it became a harder sell to someone who doesn't know what the phone is or how it behaves and special ordering a phone they don't understand yet.
-The return rate is not that high. Although, most people who bought Windows Phones from my store are not tech savvy, so they just deal with the original configuration of the live tiles, have not updated the OS since they got it, and just tolerate whatever.

Hope that lends some insight!

In a nutshell, Windows Phones are not promoted, usually not stocked much (if at all), and selection is not great for those wanting high end phones. Only good for low end/mid range by today's standards (LG Lancet, Lumia 735, HTC One M8, Ativ SE). 90% of customers have no idea what a Windows Phone is, sadly. Verizon has VZLearn (training) guides on all Windows Phone stuff, but mostly old Windows Phone 7 OS stuff, and the Lumia 822/928. That's about it. None of these are mandatory to complete, though. At least they weren't for my stores.

DustinRyan

Nov 11, 2013
Visit site
I'd ask the question a bit different. How many people who come into your Store don't already have a specific Brand of phone already selected? I assume while many people don't even know about the Operating Systems the phones use, I would expect they would be coming in and asking to buy a Samsung Edge, of Samsung Galaxy S6, etc. Or of course I want to buy an iPhone 6S, etc.

About 90% of people coming in who KNOW what phone they want, want an iPhone. And about 95% of all iPhone users don't know WHY they want one. They just know they do.
But if it makes them happy, I never steer anyone away from a phone they want.

Sometimes, there will be someone coming in who had a Galaxy S3 or S4 and wants an S6, but a lot of those people are open minded to try other Android phones.
We sell quite a lot of Droid Turbo phones because their specs are similar to Galaxy S6, but phenomenal battery life and price. Camera is not as good, but it's a really well-rounded phone. Android owners are more open to trying new things, like other Android phones, or iPhone.
iPhone users rarely want Android. Many do, but end up returning and getting iPhone again. But most iPhone users that switch away from iPhone say it is because they don't want to live in Apple's world only using Apple things. They like the freedom of Android, and most still don't know Windows exists as an option. But with most phones either mid to low end, and flagships/high end phones getting old, it's hard to recommend a Windows Phone option at the moment.

About 60% of customers in my stores come in open to suggestion. Most still choose what they came in thinking they would get, but they like having a professional opinion.

EDIT: I should note, those who are looking for recommendations are usually older people or low-to-no-tech people. All children want the iPhone because you're not a cool kid in school unless you have an iPhone. That's kid law.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
There WAS a loophole. Doesn't exist anymore, at least not that I know of.

People are still doing it using bestbuy.com. At least they were as of a few days ago. You just upgrade your line, ship to home, and when you get the phone you remove the included SIM card before turning the phone on and use your already active SIM card. It really is that simple!

You're looking at it from a rep's perspective. It's probably different than what we see on bestbuy.com! :wink:

I'd be glad to answer.

<reply snipped to save space>

Thank you! That was a very well written and educational answer. It is exactly the kind of response I was looking for!

Now I have a question that probably does not have a black and white answer, but is more an opinion: do you think that Windows Phones don't sell because they are not promoted, or are they not promoted because they don't sell? Or some of both? It's probably a chicken-and-egg situation. Would Windows Phones be worth their retail space if they were pushed alongside iPhones and Androids?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tallgeeselll05