Will an "unlocked" 950XL work on Verizon?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr. MacPhisto

Aug 7, 2012
Visit site
If the phone gets 3rd party certified and added to VZW's list of approved phones can VZW block updates being pushed by MS without going against their FCC unlocked phone agreement?

No, Verizon cannot block updates. They have no control over how an unlocked phone is updated. We already have seen that the Nexus 6 was updated directly by Google, even when on VZW.

Unlocked is the way Microsoft can turn the phone into just another Windows device. Carrier locking allows them to use the excuse about network stability, etc to discourage updates so they can sell more phones and, in the past, extend contracts.

dkediger

Aug 29, 2013
Visit site
I see this as kind of an existential moment for Microsoft and W10M. It (CDMA certifying) is something they should do *because* it is the right thing to do for their customers/users. Otherwise, it becomes something others (Apple, Google) have mastered, but Microsoft hasn't/can't /won't. Which let's others control the narrative and make it about lack of desire/clout/dedication.

It's very much like the DirecTV vs cable commercials in the US: Don't be like that little "m" microsoft - be a big "M" *Microsoft* and CDMA certify. It's a good time and a good cause to spend some the goodwill they've acquired over the last year or so.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
I see this as kind of an existential moment for Microsoft and W10M. It (CDMA certifying) is something they should do *because* it is the right thing to do for their customers/users. Otherwise, it becomes something others (Apple, Google) have mastered, but Microsoft hasn't/can't /won't.

I agree. Enable the CDMA, throw the device out there, and see what happens. Let the chips fall where they may.

The thing is, I'm sure there's more to it than that! :angel: Microsoft is certainly making a calculated decision here. Google and Apple proved that Verizon's consent is not necessary. I wouldn't be surprised if Microsoft's actions have something to do with whatever deal was inked with AT&T.

hedrek

Feb 15, 2014
Visit site
Verizon does not subsidize phones anymore. There is no phone lure now to go to Verizon. They better take every phone they can get because Americans are going to be shocked to buy phones straight up. My Verizon contract just ran out and I'm month to month. They no longer have a hold on me. No Windows phones functionality and I'm gone!

Mr. MacPhisto

Aug 7, 2012
Visit site
I agree. Enable the CDMA, throw the device out there, and see what happens. Let the chips fall where they may.

The thing is, I'm sure there's more to it than that! :angel: Microsoft is certainly making a calculated decision here. Google and Apple proved that Verizon's consent is not necessary. I wouldn't be surprised if Microsoft's actions have something to do with whatever deal was inked with AT&T.

The problem comes from people returning the phones in a lower volume business. Microsoft is launching them where they know they will work on day one.

Do you prefer a company that throws its customers to the wolves or one that ensures its customers can get the experience they desire right out of the box? Remember, Satya Nadella is stressing that they want to move people towards LOVING Windows. How would several thousand users being unable to activate their new Windows mobile devices help in getting people to LOVE Windows? Sure, it's not completely their fault, but they could have shielded them and not released the CDMA phone until they KNEW it would work. That's what I think they're doing. They may unlock the CDMA bands in the future when they know it will activate.

Also was interesting to hear the hints in this past week's AskDan video about LG and Samsung possibly bringing Windows Mobile to Verizon.

tk-093

Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
Also was interesting to hear the hints in this past week's AskDan video about LG and Samsung possibly bringing Windows Mobile to Verizon.

I'd kill for a Windows 10 Mobile Galaxy Note 5 type. I'm addicted to my stylus... Love scribbling things down with OneNote.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
The problem comes from people returning the phones in a lower volume business. Microsoft is launching them where they know they will work on day one.

Do you prefer a company that throws its customers to the wolves or one that ensures its customers can get the experience they desire right out of the box? Remember, Satya Nadella is stressing that they want to move people towards LOVING Windows. How would several thousand users being unable to activate their new Windows mobile devices help in getting people to LOVE Windows? Sure, it's not completely their fault, but they could have shielded them and not released the CDMA phone until they KNEW it would work. That's what I think they're doing. They may unlock the CDMA bands in the future when they know it will activate.

Yes you are correct. My first line was tongue-in-cheek. I did mention that Microsoft is making a calculated decision here, and what you said is probably why they ended up where they did. Google and Apple can get away with a slight black eye over something like Verizon not activating the phones, but Microsoft cannot afford another hit.

But at the same time, is it any worse than the hit they're taking this way? Most cell phone users in the US walk into a carrier store, choose something from the available devices, and walk out the door with it. If someone is savvy enough to go online and order an unlocked phone directly from Microsoft to use on Verizon, I guarantee you they also know that they will need to have an already active SIM card in order to use it. Most of them would already be on Verizon already anyway and have an active SIM card. I actually question whether it would cause any harm to Microsoft's name in the real world. Theoretically, yes, it could. Realistically, maybe, but doubtful.

There were users all over the Nexus 6 last year, and recently the Moto X Pure Edition, who bought them knowing that this is what they would have to do. I do not believe it created a blight on Google's or Motorola's names.

Again, I'm sure Microsoft thought of all the advantages and disadvantages, put them on a balance, and went with the side that hangs lower. They are making the right decision based on available data. But it is one of those decisions where Microsoft is screwed either way.

sprtfan

Oct 9, 2013
Visit site
I still think that Microsoft doesn't necessarily cares about selling Lumia phones, they care about Window 10 mobile. If they can get 3rd parties like Samsung and LG to bring some high quality phones to Verizon, it maybe a best case outcome for Microsoft. I could potentially see Samsung and LG being less likely to make a high end windows phone for Verizon if they'd have to also compete against the 950/950XL. Microsoft still would have the option of unlocking the 950/950XL if needed but I can see the advantage to them giving some 3rd parties a chance.

garak0410

Jan 8, 2009
Visit site
I'd kill for a Windows 10 Mobile Galaxy Note 5 type. I'm addicted to my stylus... Love scribbling things down with OneNote.

Agreed...I am "temporarily" on a Note 5 as I wait to see how Verizon handles future Flagships and when battery life on Windows 10 mobile settles down on my ICON. I love having a stylus handy and man, this phone is a beast.

NOLATechy

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
Agreed...I am "temporarily" on a Note 5 as I wait to see how Verizon handles future Flagships and when battery life on Windows 10 mobile settles down on my ICON. I love having a stylus handy and man, this phone is a beast.

FYI, W10 Build 10572 works GREAT on my Lumia Icon now, but there is a trick on how to make it work, and it's rather lengthy, but my Lumia Icon now works better then Win8.1 did. You'll also want to back up EVERYTHING, cuz you can't do any of the restores to your phone - it has to be all new installs of apps.

1) Reset phone back to factory settings Win 8.1 - DO NOT RESTORE
2) Install Windows Insider Preview app and run and choose "Fast Ring"
3) When it reboots it will install Win10 Build 10572 - DO NOT RESTORE
4) RESET to factory settings AGAIN - YES - Reset Windows 10 to factory settings
5) When phone finishes and reboots, reinstall Windows Insider Preview app and run, choose "Fast Ring" again
6) Phone reboots again and installs Windows Insider Preview version of OS
7) You should now be on Windows 10 Insider Preview Edition Build 10572 in factory settings.
8) You can now put all your files and folders back on the phone.
9) MANUALLY reinstall all apps from the store
10) Enjoy VERY LOW battery usage, cool phone, smooth apps, no crashes, etc., etc.

NOTE: While you are installing apps, updating phone, etc, the phone will be warm to hot, but that is because you are working the processor and antennas A LOT! Once you have all apps installed, updates finished, etc, you will be VERY HAPPY with your Lumia Icon on Win10 Build 10572!

jmagwp

Dec 6, 2011
Visit site
Since when does Verizon have half or more of the total US wireless market? Not to mention you STILL have to battle the reps in store to actually buy a WP device. Seems this is yet another example of people blowing the importance of Verizon waaaaay out of proportion.... :confused:

I just did a quick search and as of 3Q2014 Verizon had 44% of the US market. That's close enough to half for me.

garak0410

Jan 8, 2009
Visit site
FYI, W10 Build 10572 works GREAT on my Lumia Icon now, but there is a trick on how to make it work, and it's rather lengthy, but my Lumia Icon now works better then Win8.1 did. You'll also want to back up EVERYTHING, cuz you can't do any of the restores to your phone - it has to be all new installs of apps.

1) Reset phone back to factory settings Win 8.1 - DO NOT RESTORE
2) Install Windows Insider Preview app and run and choose "Fast Ring"
3) When it reboots it will install Win10 Build 10572 - DO NOT RESTORE
4) RESET to factory settings AGAIN - YES - Reset Windows 10 to factory settings
5) When phone finishes and reboots, reinstall Windows Insider Preview app and run, choose "Fast Ring" again
6) Phone reboots again and installs Windows Insider Preview version of OS
7) You should now be on Windows 10 Insider Preview Edition Build 10572 in factory settings.
8) You can now put all your files and folders back on the phone.
9) MANUALLY reinstall all apps from the store
10) Enjoy VERY LOW battery usage, cool phone, smooth apps, no crashes, etc., etc.

NOTE: While you are installing apps, updating phone, etc, the phone will be warm to hot, but that is because you are working the processor and antennas A LOT! Once you have all apps installed, updates finished, etc, you will be VERY HAPPY with your Lumia Icon on Win10 Build 10572!

Excellent...this will help others...I've actually done this every time with builds. I did the same with 10572. I've left it idle for 2 hours and it is down to 77%. Perhaps it is still doing some post install chatter. (and this a less than a month old, New ICON.) I am still very much testing Windows 10 on my ICON but at the moment, Note 5 is my daily driver.

Brett Sites

May 31, 2013
Visit site
I did this last night the first time and not all of my texts downloaded, but everything worked great. I did it again, only doing a restore on the last process, and still missing all texts since July 2014. Calling Microsoft tonight to see if they can get my text messages back and then going thru the same process you outlined...again. :) I am enjoying this new build a LOT more than the previous ones!

ksj1

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
Mine didn't come back for some time under 10549, but they eventually did. Just took a lot of time. You might check in the Store under Downloads and updates and make sure an install isn't stuck. That appeared to be what slowed mine down.

oldpueblo

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
What is the benefit of not just stopping at 4? I get resetting after you've updated to 10, but why then not restore your backup once you have a completely clean 10 image? Why join the preview again, it seems redundant. And if you don't restore a backup, you don't get your texts back. If you do restore, it can take hours for them to filter back in since they come back in chunks. I usually don't mess with my phone while I let them complete.

Also you can go to texts and settings and select how far back to restore from in 8.1, I assume that still exists in 10.

MikeSo

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
And if you don't restore a backup, you don't get your texts back.

Yes you do. The phone backup is independent from the Messaging backup. You will get SMS messages back even if you start with a fresh install, provided you turn on Syncing in Messaging settings.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rhiannonbarion