Will an "unlocked" 950XL work on Verizon?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
My understandings of their VoLTE is such. If you are a Verizon customer, you can only make VoLTE calls to other customers on Verizon who have VoLTE enabled or AT&T customers as of recently.

The reason you can make calls to others is not because of VoLTE, but because you have CDMA as well. VoLTE is a bonus you sometimes have access.

Verizon can't switch between VoLTE and CDMA without dropping the call and you redialing.

I don't know all the specifics of VoLTE. I don't use my phone much for calling. I seldom use more than 100 minutes/month, usually more like 50 minutes. Since activating VoLTE, my data stays connected while in a voice call, which is probably its biggest benefit to CDMA users. In fact, AT&T used to advertise this feature, which was a benefit they had over Verizon.

TexasLabRat

Oct 17, 2012
Visit site
I just wanted to make my first post and chime in on this discussion, since I am also a Verizon user and found some semi-related information.

The new FCC documents for the Lumia 550 (RM-1128) just came up today on their database [I can't post links because this is my first post]. They show that the devices only have only been tested for GSM 850/1900 WCDMA band 5, 4, 2 and LTE band 12, 17, 5, 4, 2, and 7. Therefore, the 550 will not work on a CDMA service provider.

https://fccid.io/PYARM-1128

dkediger

Aug 29, 2013
Visit site
best suggestion:
f*ck verizon, and switch to att......

GSM everywhere........
If only that were remotely accurate. It may be utilized by carriers everywhere, but that's not the same thing as signal everywhere. I invite you to come visit me and demonstrate GSM everywhere....

Jesse Sasso

Apr 21, 2014
Visit site
Thank you for the link. Not related to the thread, but very good to know that it will be sold here after all. On topic, it really looks like these phones are just for gsm, why is there a debate?

There's only a discussion because many Verizon customers, like myself, would like to stick with Windows Phone and have options next year. I got my Icon the week of it's release and it's contract is over in April or May. If the 950 or 950xl don't work unlocked with Verizon, I'm having to wait until a CDMA enabled phone is released. And preferably, I'd like a Windows Phone with a 5.5-5.7" screen with high-end properties/functions, a rare sight besides exclusives in this US Carrier.

sprtfan

Oct 9, 2013
Visit site
Thank you for the link. Not related to the thread, but very good to know that it will be sold here after all. On topic, it really looks like these phones are just for gsm, why is there a debate?

As Miraidave said, it is odd that the FCC documents for the 950 and 950 XL still have not shown up since they are to be released before the 550. I think that there is still potential that things just are decided yet and MS is may still weighing its options. I think they'd prefer a 3rd party to step in and offer some strong options on Verizon and that maybe in the works. If it doesn't pan out, they may end up releasing the 950/950XL in a form that will work with Verizon. I think that the one thing for sure is that Verizon themselves will not carry the phone. From Microsofts stand point, they'd rather have a 3rd party with Windows 10 mobile have a presense in store and available directly from Verizon. Long story short, I don't think somethings are set in stone yet and only time will tell.

dksf42

Jan 11, 2013
Visit site
As Miraidave said, it is odd that the FCC documents for the 950 and 950 XL still have not shown up since they are to be released before the 550. I think that there is still potential that things just are decided yet and MS is may still weighing its options. I think they'd prefer a 3rd party to step in and offer some strong options on Verizon and that maybe in the works. If it doesn't pan out, they may end up releasing the 950/950XL in a form that will work with Verizon. I think that the one thing for sure is that Verizon themselves will not carry the phone. From Microsofts stand point, they'd rather have a 3rd party with Windows 10 mobile have a presense in store and available directly from Verizon. Long story short, I don't think somethings are set in stone yet and only time will tell.

Is this true = no FCC certification for the 950XL and 950 as of 10-24-2015 = 16 days after the big Microsoft announcements?

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
As Miraidave said, it is odd that the FCC documents for the 950 and 950 XL still have not shown up since they are to be released before the 550. I think that there is still potential that things just are decided yet and MS is may still weighing its options..

It's sad to say but, when it was on display, it CLEARLY said "Not for CDMA carriers" on the sign. I would put that at a very high chance that Microsoft is not going to release a unlocked version with CDMA bands enabled on it..

Now, unless they are working something out with Verizon (under the radar) and will release a 949XL (929/930), then we might see it..

tale 85

Apr 8, 2015
Visit site
It's sad to say but, when it was on display, it CLEARLY said "Not for CDMA carriers" on the sign. I would put that at a very high chance that Microsoft is not going to release a unlocked version with CDMA bands enabled on it..

Now, unless they are working something out with Verizon (under the radar) and will release a 949XL (929/930), then we might see it..

You saw the flying pigs?

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
You saw the flying pigs?
Look over it....
114195d1444701442t-wp_20151012_002.jpg

Zoomed in

950XL zoom.JPG

Not the clearest picture from Zooming in but, it does clearly say "Phone will not work with CDMA carriers"

Proof that in it's current form, the 950XL does not or will work with Verizon....

Not sure Microsoft would print up all this custom stuff if it was going to change. I would almost put a large sum of money, when the 950/950XL FCC documents hit, they will still show the same thing as before with NO support for Verizon's bands.

I want this phone on Verizon as much as the next person but, sitting in here saying it's coming or there is a high chance, your just going to get yourself very disappointed.

Finally a flagship phone worth talking about and rave over and the largest carrier in the US will not get access to it. What is wrong with this picture ?

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Finally a flagship phone worth talking about and rave over and the largest carrier in the US will not get access to it. What is wrong with this picture ?

The missing piece of the puzzle that no one on this site seems to be talking about. Vzw might be the largest carrier in the US, but they are not carrying their own weight when it comes to supporting the platform.

adduplex-windows-phone-statistics-report-september-2015-9-638.jpg

When you look at what networks are actually seeing Windows Phone active on their network in the US, Vzw isn't the strongest. If they have the most subscribers it doesn't reflect into the most WP in public use by a long way.

ATT and Cricket (an ATT owned mvno) account for 51% of WP active devices in the US. T-Mo and Metro PCS (a T-Mo owned mvno) account for 22% of WP units in use in the US. Vzw is all the way down at 12.4%.

If most users are getting their phones carrier branded, Vzw is clearly failing to support the platform...

AdDuplex Windows Phone Device Statistics Report for September, 2015

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
The missing piece of the puzzle that no one on this site seems to be talking about. Vzw might be the largest carrier in the US, but they are not carrying their own weight when it comes to supporting the platform.

Still, yea, only 12.4% but still a strong part of the market. If Microsoft promotes it right (it needs a whole new angle to promote Windows Phone), these flagships should be accessable by all carriers.

So, Microsoft does this major promotion on these reallly innovative flagships, some apple or android users are a little interested and want to check it out, they go to their chosen provider and they cant even get the phone shown, so they get pushed back to their last phone brand. What good is this for Windows Phone ?

This is what Microsoft needed in the marketplace, a phone that people could see and go WOW, it can do that ? Something they have not had yet. This could be the phone that does this.

If you had 50% of the marketplace, you CAN BE this way against carriers (like Apple did) but when your hanging around 3.5%, you really cant afford to do this.

Deep down in side, I dont think Windows Phone will ever be 40% of the marketplace(unless Apple STOPS selling phones for some reason) but, there is room for 15-20% as a 3rd option. This is what Microsoft's goal should be, not to go head to head but, to go side by side with them. The ONLY way to do this is to make sure their phones are available on every carrier possable.

WIndows Phone is losing money for Microsoft, knowing Microsoft's history very well, it could be the nail that kills Windows Phone for good. Unless something comes forward that makes WP profitable in some way, it will go away.

We all should want it across all carriers, even if we are not using them, more people that buy, more apps, more support by Microsoft and better support/phones. A win, win for WP fans...

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I'm just saying that the loss of Verizon carrying the 950 or 950 XL is not the impact that people make it out to be.... It's not negligible, but it does not near the significance implied by repeatedly saying, "the phones won't be on the largest US carrier." It isn't a potential loss of 1/2, 1/3 or even 1/4 of American users, statistically it is just 1/8.

T-Mo by itself (even as the 3rd largest US carrier) represents a more significant loss and when you add in Metro PCS you are now at nearly double the loss represented by Verizon and T-Mobile's track record with Windows Phone offerings and support is known to be abysmal.

I find this sobering in light of how many claim Verizon is such a powerhouse of support and potential for Windows Phone.

garak0410

Jan 8, 2009
Visit site
One the most enduring things about this post is how dedicated we fans are on wanting these phones on Verizon. I only wish our voice could be heard loud and clear. I did notice Mary Jo Foley, last week, said that while it is still doubtful, she thinks the door isn't closed yet on Verizon and she wouldn't go into details.

to_be_announced

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
I'm just saying that the loss of Verizon carrying the 950 or 950 XL is not the impact that people make it out to be.... It's not negligible, but it does not near the significance implied by repeatedly saying, "the phones won't be on the largest US carrier." It isn't a potential loss of 1/2, 1/3 or even 1/4 of American users, statistically it is just 1/8.

T-Mo by itself (even as the 3rd largest US carrier) represents a more significant loss and when you add in Metro PCS you are now at nearly double the loss represented by Verizon and T-Mobile's track record with Windows Phone offerings and support is known to be abysmal.

I find this sobering in light of how many claim Verizon is such a powerhouse of support and potential for Windows Phone.

NO ONE is saying that Verizon is a powerhouse of support and potential. Especially on the support side. But it does have potential. The graphic above shows that 12%, which while not alot, is also not small either. Putting out a product knowing that it cuts off 12% of your customer base is just not good no matter how you look at it. No one is expecting Verizon to support these phones, but since they are phones essentially released for people like us, the Microsoft fans, it should be easy to assume that most of us are capable of making it work on the CDMA network by placing an activated sim in the phone. Microsoft it self has stated that these phones are essentially for the MS fans that have been waiting forever for a flagship.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Putting out a product knowing that it cuts off 12% of your customer base is just not good no matter how you look at it.

12% in the US not of the total base and remember that WP support in the US lags way behind other regions. Again, it is not negligible, but it is also not the whole ball game.

Penny_1

Apr 14, 2013
Visit site
12% in the US not of the total base and remember that WP support in the US lags way behind other regions. Again, it is not negligible, but it is also not the whole ball game.

I don't know, I think the point that almost everybody is missing is that Verizon may not constitute much of WP's global marketshare, but it is absolutely crucial from a developer engagement standpoint. We have a lot of popular app developers in the U.S., and the reality is that they don't all go by the global marketshare statistics. Many of them are small teams or even individuals that notice what is right in front of them, and as long as Windows Phone doesn't get in front of those people frequently, they're not really going to worry about its existence.

That's my perspective at least, as a web developer. Developers tend to support what they use or are familiar with more than actually making decisions objectively.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerupgo