Will an "unlocked" 950XL work on Verizon?

Status
Not open for further replies.

anywhereanytime

Sep 25, 2009
Visit site

PuckCowboy

Oct 10, 2012
Visit site
Thanks dashrendar = Just like Verizon to "take the low road" but "the screen appears to be the same" expect 5.2 inches vs 5.7 inches = SAME HI-RES and even higher "pixel density"!

OK ... NOW what does everyone think is really going on = a Verizon EXCLUSIVE again like the ICON ???

Great find, however doesn't this only account for the LTE side of things? There is no mention of standard CDMA radios on that listing. They would still need to be "unlocked" via firmware no? If that listing was meant for Verizon, wouldn't there be some listing of regular CDMA radios as well?

Wonder if it's a typo. Also, what does "NAM" signify? Would be interesting to see if MS Store reps online would know... although I doubt it.

anywhereanytime

Sep 25, 2009
Visit site
Great find, however doesn't this only account for the LTE side of things? There is no mention of standard CDMA radios on that listing. They would still need to be "unlocked" via firmware no? If that listing was meant for Verizon, wouldn't there be some listing of regular CDMA radios as well?

Wonder if it's a typo. Also, what does "NAM" signify? Would be interesting to see if MS Store reps online would know... although I doubt it.

All I "think" is that "Band 13 700Mhz" IS ONLY Verizon in the US = that huge auction bid from 5+ years ago and has FCC conditions?

PuckCowboy

Oct 10, 2012
Visit site
NAM signifies North AMerica.

Hmmm... this might lead one to believe this could work on Verizon if you are willing to just rely on LTE only (and they activate it). But the lack of actual CDMA radio listings is odd and would make the phone close to useless anywhere you cant get at least 1 bar of LTE.

Generalheed

Jan 22, 2015
Visit site
Hmmm... this might lead one to believe this could work on Verizon if you are willing to just rely on LTE only (and they activate it). But the lack of actual CDMA radio listings is odd and would make the phone close to useless anywhere you cant get at least 1 bar of LTE.

Well, Verizon was planning to transition to an LTE-only network pretty soon anyways. So it's not the worst thing.

TexasLabRat

Oct 17, 2012
Visit site
i saw that the FCC approved the 950 single sim 11/5/2015 (yesterday) - it is the PYA-RM1105, with the dual SIM being PYA-RM1104:

https://fccid.io/PYARM-1105

in the test reports, Band 13 (LTE750) is listed, but there are no CDMA frequencies

Also, the 1105 appears to be the AT&T-specific version as the user manual mentions AT&T and AT&T's support site.

AT&T provides detailed support info, including

device specifications, troubleshooting, and user

forums, at https://forums.windowscentral.com/e...com%2Fdevicehowto%2Findex.html&token=wuQwYwVL.

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
Well, Verizon was planning to transition to an LTE-only network pretty soon anyways. So it's not the worst thing.

Sure, but, unless you live in the BIG CITY and ONLY stay in the BIG CITY, it's the only way it would be nice. Have you ever gone on a trip with your Verizon phone and while someone else was driving, for like 10-15 miles watch your signal meter on your phone? You will see, LTE, 3G, LTE 3G, 3G, 1X, 3G, LTE.... Very rare that you are 100% LTE when moving long distances, meaning Verizon depends on their large 3G network to fill the "gaps"

So, in a nut shell, unless your in a MAJOR city, with LTE ONLY, Verizon would be worse than the worst carrier you have ever seen, you could be dropping calls left and right...

A full LTE, all across the US....10-15 years away (and by then LTE will be outdated)

Although it would be an option, I stick with Verizon because of the awesome coverage, If I was going to a LTE ONLY phone and degrade my service coverage area, I might as well go to AT&T and get the 950XL, the phone I really want....

Think about it...

So just how far have we got with this thread, any conclusions :devil:

In a nut shell, No the 950XL wont work on Verizon, unless Verizon's plan is to come out with a 949XL (no solid rumor), the 950 has the Band 13 700mhz on the NAM version, it's POSSABLE, that could work on Verizon's LTE ONLY network, that opens it's own problems, that is if Verizon would even activate it on their network.

So, Officially or un-officially, No 950/950XL on Verizon at this point...

Generalheed

Jan 22, 2015
Visit site
Sure, but, unless you live in the BIG CITY and ONLY stay in the BIG CITY, it's the only way it would be nice. Have you ever gone on a trip with your Verizon phone and while someone else was driving, for like 10-15 miles watch your signal meter on your phone? You will see, LTE, 3G, LTE 3G, 3G, 1X, 3G, LTE.... Very rare that you are 100% LTE when moving long distances, meaning Verizon depends on their large 3G network to fill the "gaps"

So, in a nut shell, unless your in a MAJOR city, with LTE ONLY, Verizon would be worse than the worst carrier you have ever seen, you could be dropping calls left and right...

A full LTE, all across the US....10-15 years away (and by then LTE will be outdated)

Although it would be an option, I stick with Verizon because of the awesome coverage, If I was going to a LTE ONLY phone and degrade my service coverage area, I might as well go to AT&T and get the 950XL, the phone I really want....

Think about it...

In a nut shell, No the 950XL wont work on Verizon, unless Verizon's plan is to come out with a 949XL (no solid rumor), the 950 has the Band 13 700mhz on the NAM version, it's POSSABLE, that could work on Verizon's LTE ONLY network, that opens it's own problems, that is if Verizon would even activate it on their network.

Going by Verizon's LTE coverage map, I'd say as long as you're basically in any kind of town, not just city, you should be ok with LTE-only. Perhaps on the country side you'll have some problems. Or if you live in the rocky mountains. I guess it depends on what people are willing to sacrifice at this point.

I'm confused about the bands, I know Band 13 is Verizon, but Verizon also supports Band 2 and 4 which the 950 has had from the start, why couldn't those have been used? I talked to the manager at my local Verizon store the other day and he did say they'd be happy to activate any unlocked phone on their network.

mjperry51

Jul 1, 2013
Visit site
Going by Verizon's LTE coverage map, I'd say as long as you're basically in any kind of town, not just city, you should be ok with LTE-only. Perhaps on the country side you'll have some problems. Or if you live in the rocky mountains. I guess it depends on what people are willing to sacrifice at this point.

I'm confused about the bands, I know Band 13 is Verizon, but Verizon also supports Band 2 and 4 which the 950 has had from the start, why couldn't those have been used? I talked to the manager at my local Verizon store the other day and he did say they'd be happy to activate any unlocked phone on their network.
Bands are frequencies; CDMA/GSM are protocols. The bottom line is you could have both GMS and CDMA based phones operating in the same frequency -- in fact that's just what happens.

Unless the CDMA or GSM codecs (the hardware/software that encodes and decodes the modulation scheme used by the different modes) are present, it doesn't matter what bands/frequencies are available in the phone.

Think of it this way -- GMS = German and CDMA = Chinese. They can use the same frequency; they can't communicate with each other. . .

TexasLabRat

Oct 17, 2012
Visit site
Bands are frequencies; CDMA/GSM are protocols. The bottom line is you could have both GMS and CDMA based phones operating in the same frequency -- in fact that's just what happens.

Unless the CDMA or GSM codecs (the hardware/software that encodes and decodes the modulation scheme used by the different modes) are present, it doesn't matter what bands/frequencies are available in the phone.

Think of it this way -- GMS = German and CDMA = Chinese. They can use the same frequency; they can't communicate with each other. . .

The phone supports LTE on bands 2 and 4. Verizon has LTE deployments on bands 2 and 4. It's technically possible the 950XL could work if it had an activated SIM...though I don't know if the IMEI needs to also be whitelisted as well. That said, without band 13, the coverage would be no better than T-mobile from 2-3 years ago....so why not just move to T-mobile (and gain Band 12 access in the process) or ATT (and gain Bands 5 & 17)?

Generalheed

Jan 22, 2015
Visit site

Thanks for the explanation but I already knew the differences between GSM and CDMA. I was just wondering what the big deal about LTE Band 13 was when Verizon already supports Bands 2 and 4 which the Lumia 950 does support. But the other person did clarify that without Band 13, Verizon's coverage wouldn't be what it is today.

jmajid

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the explanation but I already knew the differences between GSM and CDMA. I was just wondering what the big deal about LTE Band 13 was when Verizon already supports Bands 2 and 4 which the Lumia 950 does support. But the other person did clarify that without Band 13, Verizon's coverage wouldn't be what it is today.

LTE Bands 2 and 4 are higher frequencies (1900 and 1700/2100MHz)
Band 13 is 700MHz (or 750MHz depending on what you read)

The lower frequencies allow the signal to penetrate buildings better...
Thats also the claim from TMo about their Band 12 (700MHz)

anywhereanytime

Sep 25, 2009
Visit site

OR, perhaps the datasheet "failed to list CDMA" = highly unlikely = OR, perhaps the CDMA "testing is NOT complete" - or even started?

All I know is that "the keen eye of the poster above" caught for the FIRST TIME in 34 pages of posts =

That "magical listing of Band 13 and 700MHz" + potentially NAM = North American Market!

Doesn't that alone raise hope?

mjperry51

Jul 1, 2013
Visit site
The phone supports LTE on bands 2 and 4. Verizon has LTE deployments on bands 2 and 4. It's technically possible the 950XL could work if it had an activated SIM...though I don't know if the IMEI needs to also be whitelisted as well. That said, without band 13, the coverage would be no better than T-mobile from 2-3 years ago....so why not just move to T-mobile (and gain Band 12 access in the process) or ATT (and gain Bands 5 & 17)?
Since the thread is about Verizon support of the 950, that's what I was responding to. . .

TexasLabRat

Oct 17, 2012
Visit site
Since the thread is about Verizon support of the 950, that's what I was responding to. . .

Well, the thread is actually about the 950XL support on Verizon, which I was clarifying based on the question regarding Band 2 and Band 4. But the pertinent issue is the same for both. The 950/950XL phones support LTE on 2 and 4. Verizon has LTE deployments on 2 and 4. The phones are compatible with Verizon's services (not necessarily nation-wide, but still) from a technology point of view.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChadDaniel