Will an "unlocked" 950XL work on Verizon?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Generalheed

Jan 22, 2015
Visit site
I was speaking to my VZW B2B Rep ordering my VZW Surface 3 LTE and asked about the 950's. He looked them up in the system and it showed them as "blocked". He said when that happens that they will usually get their own version in about 6 months. Take that for what it is worth, but there must be some hope if there is VZW branded Surface 3.

Hmmm, the Verizon manager at my local store who specializes with business accounts says that Verizon will be happy to activate any unlocked device I bring to them including the 950. He didn't know much about the status of the 950's on Verizon though and he did say that I should make sure I'm able to return the 950 if I can't activate it on Verizon's network.

NOLATechy

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
I just spoke with VZW technical support person and specifically inquired as to whether or not the 950 XL (Unlocked) purchased directly from Microsoft's store would work on VZW network. She told me that yes it would work on VZW network but that it would be recommended to get a new SIM card. I also spoke with the technical representative and sales personnel from Microsoft and they also confirmed that the "unlocked" 950XL will work on VZW network. The only down-side to this is that I'm going to have to shell out $650 or so to outright purchase the phone and I'm not sure if I can get insurance on it. Perhaps through Microsoft's Insurance? We'll see.

NOLATechy

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
There are two versions of the 950. The AT&T version is locked for use only on AT&T's network. There is also an "UNLOCKED" version of the 950 and 950XL that Microsoft will be selling directly from their stores (online and brick & mortor). Both of the UNLOCKED versions will work on ANY carrier (per Microsoft tech support and Verizon Tech Support).

Penny_1

Apr 14, 2013
Visit site
I just spoke with VZW technical support person and specifically inquired as to whether or not the 950 XL (Unlocked) purchased directly from Microsoft's store would work on VZW network. She told me that yes it would work on VZW network but that it would be recommended to get a new SIM card. I also spoke with the technical representative and sales personnel from Microsoft and they also confirmed that the "unlocked" 950XL will work on VZW network. The only down-side to this is that I'm going to have to shell out $650 or so to outright purchase the phone and I'm not sure if I can get insurance on it. Perhaps through Microsoft's Insurance? We'll see.

Ahhh! Why am I reading this? I just passed the 14 day return period for my Note 5 on Verizon!

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
The subject of this entire thread is like someone buying a car that runs on CNG and wondering if they can fuel it with gasoline.

to_be_announced

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
There are two versions of the 950. The AT&T version is locked for use only on AT&T's network. There is also an "UNLOCKED" version of the 950 and 950XL that Microsoft will be selling directly from their stores (online and brick & mortor). Both of the UNLOCKED versions will work on ANY carrier (per Microsoft tech support and Verizon Tech Support).

Sorry to say but they are wrong. The phone doesn't support CDMA. Go ahead and purchase for use on Verizon if you want, but you will be very disappointed.

psurob55

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site

LOL

I think you are being fed bad information... It's not happening.

Last edited by a moderator:

Generalheed

Jan 22, 2015
Visit site

The problem is, according to some documents people have discovered, only the Lumia 950, not the XL, is compatible with Verizon's Band 13. The NAM (North America) model of the 950, supports LTE Band 13 and the only reason you'd support Band 13 in North America is for Verizon. Technically, the 950 XL could just support Verizon's LTE Band 2 and 4, but without Band 13, the odds of it working are even slimmer and your 4G coverage would be terrible.

The best way to test if the 950 line will work on Verizon would be to test it on the standard 950. Aside from the lack of CDMA support, the 950 has everything else you need to be on Verizon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss