Will an "unlocked" 950XL work on Verizon?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Generalheed

Jan 22, 2015
Visit site
I believe you are correct...the one from the ICON might however. If an ICON user is going to test it.

Well you can always ask Verizon to get you a new SIM and it wouldn't cost anything. That's what they had to do when I replaced my 928 with my current ICON... I'm not exactly in a position to just spend $600 on a 950 though without knowing for sure it will work on Verizon's network so unfortunately I can't be a test subject for this.

maevinj

Jun 19, 2013
Visit site
Well you can always ask Verizon to get you a new SIM and it wouldn't cost anything. That's what they had to do when I replaced my 928 with my current ICON... I'm not exactly in a position to just spend $600 on a 950 though without knowing for sure it will work on Verizon's network so unfortunately I can't be a test subject for this.
Well that's kind of the deal with the SIM. You need to have an active one to put into the 950XL to see if it will work on Verizon's network.. I can't get a new one that fits the 950XL because I won't be able to activate it..

Generalheed

Jan 22, 2015
Visit site
Well that's kind of the deal with the SIM. You need to have an active one to put into the 950XL to see if it will work on Verizon's network.. I can't get a new one that fits the 950XL because I won't be able to activate it..

Well I acquired my ICON independently of Verizon and simply asked them to send me a new SIM that would fit my device. They mailed me an activated SIM and all I had to do was put it into my ICON. The new SIM had all the same info from my previous SIM. I guess if they did ask you why you need a new SIM, you could tell them you're switching to an ICON. But usually they probably won't make a fuss.

Or quite simply, you could just ask Verizon to try to activate the 950 for you directly. My local Verizon store manager told me they'd be happy to try to activate any unlocked phone I bring to them. Since you already have an account with Verizon, they'd pre-activate a SIM card for you like I mentioned above and putting it in the 950 will determine if it works or not.

Generalheed

Jan 22, 2015
Visit site
Hmmm, isn't this kind of like someone saying that aside from the lack of a transmission, their car has everything it needs to drive down the road? :angel:

No not exactly, as was discussed a couple pages back, Verizon is phasing out their CDMA network in the very near future for an LTE-only network. They've already rolled out their VoLTE service which lets you make calls and texts over LTE. Since the 950 supports LTE Bands 2, 4, and 13, it supports all of Verizon's LTE network. Plus, you can already activate LTE-only tablets on Verizon's network. Therefore, the lack of CDMA probably isn't as big of a deal as you'd think. And if you really need 3G, Verizon has roaming agreements with the other major GSM carriers so you should be able to use AT&T and T-Mobile's networks to fill in any gaps in the coverage from the lack of CDMA.

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
No not exactly, as was discussed a couple pages back, Verizon is phasing out their CDMA network in the very near future for an LTE-only network. They've already rolled out their VoLTE service which lets you make calls and texts over LTE. Since the 950 supports LTE Bands 2, 4, and 13, it supports all of Verizon's LTE network. Plus, you can already activate LTE-only tablets on Verizon's network. Therefore, the lack of CDMA probably isn't as big of a deal as you'd think. And if you really need 3G, Verizon has roaming agreements with the other major GSM carriers so you should be able to use AT&T and T-Mobile's networks to fill in any gaps in the coverage from the lack of CDMA.

And you can read a few pages back. Unless you live in the BIG CITY and dont go near the subs or travel out of the city, this might work ok.

Verizon has the largest network because it depends on it's 3g network. So if you were to go to a LTE only phone and travel any bit, it would be worse than TMOUS in a bad area.

I go with Verizon because of their coverage range, When I want to make a call, or browse the web, I can do it almost anywhere. If I am going to take a major hit on coverage for a LTE only phone, I might as well cancel Verizon and move with AT&T...

Travel on the highway for about 15 miles, watching your signal metter on your phone and you will see what I mean, LTE, 3g, 1X, LTE, LTE, 3G.... Yea, it's that bad in most areas but, if you were on a phone call, you would NOT lose your call.

Verizon's 100% LTE network is not going to be done till about 2020 if not longer (by then the 5g network will be available)

Would love to see if it actually works but, with knowing this fact, I would not buy one unless it has 3G/CDMA support on it for the fringe areas. This is where Verizon does best and your losing it by dropping CMDA support...and would not spend $650 on a TEST....

That is if verizon will even allow it on their network (sticking a SIM in wont help if there is a block because of no CDMA support)....

A tablet is one thing...but, a PHONE is a totally different thing on this aspect..

Generalheed

Jan 22, 2015
Visit site
And you can read a few pages back. Unless you live in the BIG CITY and dont go near the subs or travel out of the city, this might work ok.

Verizon has the largest network because it depends on it's 3g network. So if you were to go to a LTE only phone and travel any bit, it would be worse than TMOUS in a bad area.

I go with Verizon because of their coverage range, When I want to make a call, or browse the web, I can do it almost anywhere. If I am going to take a major hit on coverage for a LTE only phone, I might as well cancel Verizon and move with AT&T...

Travel on the highway for about 15 miles, watching your signal metter on your phone and you will see what I mean, LTE, 3g, 1X, LTE, LTE, 3G.... Yea, it's that bad in most areas but, if you were on a phone call, you would NOT lose your call.

Verizon's 100% LTE network is not going to be done till about 2020 if not longer (by then the 5g network will be available)

Would love to see if it actually works but, with knowing this fact, I would not buy one unless it has 3G/CDMA support on it for the fringe areas. This is where Verizon does best and your losing it by dropping CMDA support...and would not spend $650 on a TEST....

That is if verizon will even allow it on their network (sticking a SIM in wont help if there is a block because of no CDMA support)....

A tablet is one thing...but, a PHONE is a totally different thing on this aspect..

I understand pure 4G LTE isn't enough on Verizon's network, but that's why I mentioned Verizon's roaming agreements. If you're out of Verizon's coverage area but happen to be within range of another carrier's coverage, your phone can roam on another carrier's network. Roaming is free with all of Verizon's plans and it only applies to 3G networks as far as I know. Basically, in theory, your 950 would become a hybrid network phone. When 4G coverage is available, it will be on Verizon. But without CDMA and when you're out of 4G range, your phone would just simply roam on AT&T or T-Mobile's networks for 3G coverage.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site

I've mentioned this before, but few people realize how large and sparsely populated the US is. Yes, I know that Australia and Canada are too, but their residents are largely consolidated. The US population is spread out over the whole country.

The continental US has roughly double the land area of the EU, and half the population. This means that the EU has 4 times the population density. CDMA/3G is the reason that Verizon has the best coverage of any US carrier.

With 1/4 the population density of the EU, this means that US carriers' towers cover 1/4 as many people per tower. Verizon's CDMA network makes it feasible to cover areas that would otherwise be uncovered. And we wonder why cell phone service costs more in the US? I know that there are other reasons, but I would imagine that their cost per customer is higher too.

aximtreo

Jul 14, 2008
Visit site
I believe you are correct...the one from the ICON might however. If an ICON user is going to test it.

My 950xl is ordered for delivery soon. I will take the SIM from my ICON and see what happens. Hopefully it will be good news but I'll post here one way or the other.

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
I understand pure 4G LTE isn't enough on Verizon's network, but that's why I mentioned Verizon's roaming agreements. If you're out of Verizon's coverage area but happen to be within range of another carrier's coverage, your phone can roam on another carrier's network. Roaming is free with all of Verizon's plans and it only applies to 3G networks as far as I know. Basically, in theory, your 950 would become a hybrid network phone. When 4G coverage is available, it will be on Verizon. But without CDMA and when you're out of 4G range, your phone would just simply roam on AT&T or T-Mobile's networks for 3G coverage.

I guess the test is 2 fold on verizon. First to test if it will work on Verizon...and if you pass that one...How your billed for roaming. If you buy a phone that does not have 3g/CDMA for Verizon and your roaming all the time, I will bet Verizon will try to charge you for that in some way.

4G on AT&T through Verizon, roaming at $0.10 a mb.... Your $99 bill goes up to $400 for one month. It's just the Verizon way

to_be_announced

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site

Pretty sure this has been mentioned in response to you already, but just because Verizon has roaming agreements doesn't mean that the phone would just grab someone elses tower if it can't find Verizon LTE. If it's still in range of a Verizon tower, it's not going to jump to a different carriers tower. Doesn't work that way. If you are in a "Verizon Area" that has coverage, albeit no LTE, it will stick with Verizon coverage and not roam, regardless if you have an LTE only phone, which is what you are essentially touting here. It's only going to roam if you are out of the Verizon area. So you'd be SOL.

Don't buy the phone if you are on Verizon unless it supports their CDMA. You will be sorely disappointed.

Generalheed

Jan 22, 2015
Visit site
Pretty sure this has been mentioned in response to you already, but just because Verizon has roaming agreements doesn't mean that the phone would just grab someone elses tower if it can't find Verizon LTE. If it's still in range of a Verizon tower, it's not going to jump to a different carriers tower. Doesn't work that way. If you are in a "Verizon Area" that has coverage, albeit no LTE, it will stick with Verizon coverage and not roam, regardless if you have an LTE only phone, which is what you are essentially touting here. It's only going to roam if you are out of the Verizon area. So you'd be SOL.

Don't buy the phone if you are on Verizon unless it supports their CDMA. You will be sorely disappointed.

At this point, the only way to know for sure is to just test it. It seems a couple people will be testing it with the 950 XL so far. The 950 would be the better test because of Band 13 support, but either way, we should know for sure if it'll work soon.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
At this point, the only way to know for sure is to just test it. It seems a couple people will be testing it with the 950 XL so far. The 950 would be the better test because of Band 13 support, but either way, we should know for sure if it'll work soon.

You are so adamant, when are you testing?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss