11-13-2015 09:21 PM
45 12
tools
    This is disappointing for me. Even though Verizon has 4G where I live, my Icon stays on 3G the majority of the time. Guess I'm stuck with my Icon for the foreseeable future :(
    Sent from my Nokia Lumia Icon using Tapatalk
    How is AT&T in your area?
    10-07-2015 08:13 PM
    Au contraire. I get the phone and then if it doesn't work on VZ I hop over to the ATT store and ask if they can help me get transferred.
    Sayonara VZ.
    10-07-2015 10:46 PM
    Verizon uses CDMA2000 and technically it can be supported with firmware/software updates since the antennas support the bands. Not 100% sure though.
    10-08-2015 10:33 AM
    Isn't Verizon phasing out CDMA?
    10-08-2015 01:49 PM
    Isn't Verizon phasing out CDMA?
    Yes but, it will take many years, in the meantime, CDMA (3g) is filling the gaps in areas where they do not have LTE coverage yet. In a lot of areas (mostly outskirts of the cities), Verizon only has 3g with spotty LTE.

So, if you stuck a Vzw SIM into the 950/xl and you were able to get coverage, I would bet you would think Verizon's coverage was the worst..UNLESS YOU work and LIVE in a big city.
    10-08-2015 05:52 PM
    Interestingly, the xl also lacks band 17, ATT's low frequency LTE band. This is the only reason I didn't preorder.
    10-10-2015 03:53 PM
    As I mentioned in the other thread, I think there's a good chance it's just the specification sheet that's wrong, since the other 3 950-family models do list Band 17: 950, 950 Dual SIM and 950 XL Dual SIM.

Microsoft Lumia 950 XL Dual SIM Specifications - Microsoft - Global

Plus it does also appear that Microsoft Stores are selling the 950 XL Dual SIM and not the single SIM version (I say that based on every report so far saying the 950 XL Dual SIM variant is what is on display in the store; there doesn't seem to be any official acknowledgement about that from Microsoft), so even if it is true for some odd reason, it wouldn't be applicable for the model being sold in the stores.
    10-10-2015 05:34 PM
    As I mentioned in the other thread, I think there's a good chance it's just the specification sheet that's wrong, since the other 3 950-family models do list Band 17: 950, 950 Dual SIM and 950 XL Dual SIM.

Microsoft Lumia 950 XL Dual SIM Specifications - Microsoft - Global

Plus it does also appear that Microsoft Stores are selling the 950 XL Dual SIM and not the single SIM version (I say that based on every report so far saying the 950 XL Dual SIM variant is what is on display in the store; there doesn't seem to be any official acknowledgement about that from Microsoft), so even if it is true for some odd reason, it wouldn't be applicable for the model being sold in the stores.
    The Microsoft store listing now shows band 17 compatibility on all 3 models ๐Ÿ˜Š
    10-19-2015 07:31 PM
    Wow I didn't know Verizon still went to 3G. I only get 4G when I'm at work, that's because of the computers and servers though. Come to the Dark Side! ATT has cookies ๐Ÿ˜ˆ
    10-20-2015 12:28 AM
    Alright so it was recently revealed that the 950 will support all of Verizon's LTE bands including Band 13. Still no CDMA, but that's ok. We don't need CDMA anymore because Verizon has rolled out VoLTE relatively recently. And in case you do fall out of 4G coverage, your Verizon plan includes free roaming on other carriers networks, so basically if you're out of Verizon 4G coverage, your phone will just switch to AT&T or T-Mobile's network for 3G to fill in the gaps.
    11-09-2015 11:37 PM
    Alright so it was recently revealed that the 950 will support all of Verizon's LTE bands including Band 13. Still no CDMA, but that's ok. We don't need CDMA anymore because Verizon has rolled out VoLTE relatively recently. And in case you do fall out of 4G coverage, your Verizon plan includes free roaming on other carriers networks, so basically if you're out of Verizon 4G coverage, your phone will just switch to AT&T or T-Mobile's network for 3G to fill in the gaps.
    You posted something similar in another thread. Like I said over there, these phones will not work on Verizon. VoLTE is not rolled out as you claim. There may be a few markets where it's just starting to get implemented, but it is in no way, shape, or form "rolled out" as you say, to the point that customers could depend on it.

As for the roaming claim, while I agree to a certain degree, what your stating is just not true. If roaming worked this way, no one would ever have to worry about not having service anywhere because they would just jump to a different carriers towers and magically have service. The fact of the matter is, if someone bought these phones with intentions of using them on Verizon, they would be sorely disappointed. And believe me, I wish what you were saying was true. I am on Verizon and due for an upgrade from my old Lumia 928.
    RumoredNow likes this.
    11-11-2015 04:18 PM
    your Verizon plan includes free roaming on other carriers networks, so basically if you're out of Verizon 4G coverage, your phone will just switch to AT&T or T-Mobile's network for 3G to fill in the gaps.
    Roaming usually is not allowed in your home area and/or in presence of your network's towers. Roaming is for when you have "roamed" to a new area your carrier is not servicing.

That's the agreement these carriers make with each other.

"Hey Fred, I don't have towers in your area. Can my people use your towers?"

"Sure, John. Can my people use your towers when they go over there?"

"Deal."
    libra89 likes this.
    11-11-2015 04:35 PM
    Roaming usually is not allowed in your home area and/or in presence of your network's towers. Roaming is for when you have "roamed" to a new area your carrier is not servicing.

"Deal."
    yea, never did understand that part of it...
    if you're in your home area, SURELY you would have coverage?
    11-11-2015 04:48 PM

"Deal."
    I'm not so sure about that "home area" situation anymore. My Verizon phone has roamed before, especially when I'm underground in a subway or something like that. I'm not off of Verizon's coverage map, but my phone was still able to roam with a very weak 3G signal from another carrier (not sure which one).
    11-11-2015 06:19 PM
    IF your phone has a Vzw SIM in and a Vzw tower can "see" your device, I would imagine roaming would be out.

That said, roaming has become way more liberal in the last couple of years.
    11-11-2015 06:35 PM
    IF your phone has a Vzw SIM in and a Vzw tower can "see" your device, I would imagine roaming would be out.

That said, roaming has become way more liberal in the last couple of years.
    Well if the VZW tower can see your device, then you should have 4G LTE coverage anyways. Otherwise, the tower shouldn't even be able to see your device without the CDMA radios. It's rare to be in an area where you have Verizon 3G only coverage though. Their 4G network coverage is pretty comparable to their 3G coverage.

But yeah nowadays roaming probably costs the big carriers almost nothing. The restrictions were from back during a time when long distance phone calls out of your own area code cost extra money. But now roaming is free on most, if not all carriers and pretty seamless in general. Of course, like others have mentioned, this hybrid network method is just a theory and has never been tested before in recent times as far as I know.
    11-11-2015 06:49 PM
    If they see you on LTE and it is not a VoLTE area they are not handing your voice call off to a roaming partner. You might have data only and not be able to make a phone call.
    libra89 likes this.
    11-11-2015 08:16 PM
    If they see you on LTE and it is not a VoLTE area they are not handing your voice call off to a roaming partner. You might have data only and not be able to make a phone call.
    Oh I don't know much about how Verizon's VoLTE network works. I assumed that as long as you have LTE coverage, you also have access to VoLTE since it's just a protocol and not a separate network. So anywhere you have LTE, you should be fine with calls and texts.
    RumoredNow likes this.
    11-12-2015 08:22 AM
    Oh I don't know much about how Verizon's VoLTE network works. I assumed that as long as you have LTE coverage, you also have access to VoLTE since it's just a protocol and not a separate network. So anywhere you have LTE, you should be fine with calls and texts.
    I really appreciate that your glass is half-full. Kudos, brother.

I hope it does pan out. I really do.
    11-12-2015 10:09 AM
    How the heck are we in 2015 (nearly 2016) and we have premium android devices on a budget (Moto X Pure) that work on ALL carriers, yet Microsoft with TWO flagships can't even push out a phone that works everywhere. Just don't understand that. There are the iPhone 6s and 6s Plus, Nexus 6P and Nexus 5X, and the Moto X off the top of my head that work no matter the sim you use. And it's becoming more of the norm nowadays. Just don't understand why Microsoft hasn't adopted this yet.
    11-13-2015 09:21 PM
45 12