Here is the full list of network compatibility for the 950xl - straight from Microsoft's site

maevinj

Jun 19, 2013
Visit site
I shared the various Network bands with a Verizon rep today and he said that the 950 XL would work on Verizon's network without any performance loss.

I did too, and the rep told me it WOULDN'T work on Verizon. I guess that shows how much the reps know..

realwarder

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
Once again as many have stated don't confuse a GSM phone with WCDMA bands with one that is CDMA that has CDMA bands. You forgot to add this thats listed under the Lumia 735 specifications:

• CDMA network bands: BC1 (1900 MHz), BC0 (850 MHz)
  • CDMA max data speed DL: Rev 0 /A 2.4 Mbps /3.1 Mbps
  • CDMA max data speed UL: Rev 0 /A 153.2 kbps /1.8 Mbps

This makes it CDMA carrier capable. So for the last time if you see frequencies listed with CDMA....that is C-D-M-A then you pass go to verizon and sprint(Maybe). But if it only list WCDMA....thats W-C-D-M-A then you go straight to GSM jail, meaning no Verizon or Sprint for you. It's like some of you are so desperate you just see what is really not there.

While I totally agree, at some point (5-10 years?) Verizon will switch to 100% LTE with LTE voice over IP etc. That way that can re-task all the CDMA bandwidth to LTE. At that point their network will be easier for global phones to use. But until then, agree. No Verizon.

illidanx

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
If these phones will be unlocked isn't there something (hardware- that MS could have used) that supports all bands at least in the US. I think iPhones have it (might be wrong). People here been discussing Verizon since I watched the presentation. On the other hand I remember ppl hating Verizon for pushing updates too late (Black,Cyan,Denim). I bought my 928 directly from MS store in June/July 2013 (Verizon didnt even have it yet) and from day one used it with Tmobile SIM. Of course I never had LTE but really never wanted it too.

The only problem I have is I can't send txt msg if I dont switch to 2G. For sometime it was actually working but every update pushed by Nokia and later MS messed up with my txt and internet sharing -IS. IS works now but couldn't fix texting anymore

Microsoft could have include CDMA radio in addition to GSM radio, which is what iphone and nexus did, to support all US carriers but they chose not to. Maybe to reduce the cost or because it's in their agreement with AT&T. Either way, it's Microsoft's fault.

illidanx

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
While I totally agree, at some point (5-10 years?) Verizon will switch to 100% LTE with LTE voice over IP etc. That way that can re-task all the CDMA bandwidth to LTE. At that point their network will be easier for global phones to use. But until then, agree. No Verizon.

I think that's wishful thinking. Rural US areas may be stuck with CDMA 2G forever.

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
This is disappointing for me. Even though Verizon has 4G where I live, my Icon stays on 3G the majority of the time. Guess I'm stuck with my Icon for the foreseeable future :(
Sent from my Nokia Lumia Icon using Tapatalk
How is AT&T in your area?

FXi2

Sep 1, 2012
Visit site
Au contraire. I get the phone and then if it doesn't work on VZ I hop over to the ATT store and ask if they can help me get transferred.
Sayonara VZ.

Krystianpants

Sep 2, 2014
Visit site
Verizon uses CDMA2000 and technically it can be supported with firmware/software updates since the antennas support the bands. Not 100% sure though.

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
Isn't Verizon phasing out CDMA?

Yes but, it will take many years, in the meantime, CDMA (3g) is filling the gaps in areas where they do not have LTE coverage yet. In a lot of areas (mostly outskirts of the cities), Verizon only has 3g with spotty LTE.

So, if you stuck a Vzw SIM into the 950/xl and you were able to get coverage, I would bet you would think Verizon's coverage was the worst..UNLESS YOU work and LIVE in a big city.

Doug Swallow

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
As I mentioned in the other thread, I think there's a good chance it's just the specification sheet that's wrong, since the other 3 950-family models do list Band 17: 950, 950 Dual SIM and 950 XL Dual SIM.

Microsoft Lumia 950 XL Dual SIM Specifications - Microsoft - Global

Plus it does also appear that Microsoft Stores are selling the 950 XL Dual SIM and not the single SIM version (I say that based on every report so far saying the 950 XL Dual SIM variant is what is on display in the store; there doesn't seem to be any official acknowledgement about that from Microsoft), so even if it is true for some odd reason, it wouldn't be applicable for the model being sold in the stores.

jgbstetson

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
As I mentioned in the other thread, I think there's a good chance it's just the specification sheet that's wrong, since the other 3 950-family models do list Band 17: 950, 950 Dual SIM and 950 XL Dual SIM.

Microsoft Lumia 950 XL Dual SIM Specifications - Microsoft - Global

Plus it does also appear that Microsoft Stores are selling the 950 XL Dual SIM and not the single SIM version (I say that based on every report so far saying the 950 XL Dual SIM variant is what is on display in the store; there doesn't seem to be any official acknowledgement about that from Microsoft), so even if it is true for some odd reason, it wouldn't be applicable for the model being sold in the stores.

The Microsoft store listing now shows band 17 compatibility on all 3 models 😊

MiloTheOne

Sep 13, 2015
Visit site
Wow I didn't know Verizon still went to 3G. I only get 4G when I'm at work, that's because of the computers and servers though. Come to the Dark Side! ATT has cookies 😈

Generalheed

Jan 22, 2015
Visit site
Alright so it was recently revealed that the 950 will support all of Verizon's LTE bands including Band 13. Still no CDMA, but that's ok. We don't need CDMA anymore because Verizon has rolled out VoLTE relatively recently. And in case you do fall out of 4G coverage, your Verizon plan includes free roaming on other carriers networks, so basically if you're out of Verizon 4G coverage, your phone will just switch to AT&T or T-Mobile's network for 3G to fill in the gaps.

to_be_announced

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
Alright so it was recently revealed that the 950 will support all of Verizon's LTE bands including Band 13. Still no CDMA, but that's ok. We don't need CDMA anymore because Verizon has rolled out VoLTE relatively recently. And in case you do fall out of 4G coverage, your Verizon plan includes free roaming on other carriers networks, so basically if you're out of Verizon 4G coverage, your phone will just switch to AT&T or T-Mobile's network for 3G to fill in the gaps.

You posted something similar in another thread. Like I said over there, these phones will not work on Verizon. VoLTE is not rolled out as you claim. There may be a few markets where it's just starting to get implemented, but it is in no way, shape, or form "rolled out" as you say, to the point that customers could depend on it.

As for the roaming claim, while I agree to a certain degree, what your stating is just not true. If roaming worked this way, no one would ever have to worry about not having service anywhere because they would just jump to a different carriers towers and magically have service. The fact of the matter is, if someone bought these phones with intentions of using them on Verizon, they would be sorely disappointed. And believe me, I wish what you were saying was true. I am on Verizon and due for an upgrade from my old Lumia 928.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
your Verizon plan includes free roaming on other carriers networks, so basically if you're out of Verizon 4G coverage, your phone will just switch to AT&T or T-Mobile's network for 3G to fill in the gaps.

Roaming usually is not allowed in your home area and/or in presence of your network's towers. Roaming is for when you have "roamed" to a new area your carrier is not servicing.

That's the agreement these carriers make with each other.

"Hey Fred, I don't have towers in your area. Can my people use your towers?"

"Sure, John. Can my people use your towers when they go over there?"

"Deal."

jmajid

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site
Roaming usually is not allowed in your home area and/or in presence of your network's towers. Roaming is for when you have "roamed" to a new area your carrier is not servicing.

"Deal."

yea, never did understand that part of it...
if you're in your home area, SURELY you would have coverage?

Generalheed

Jan 22, 2015
Visit site

"Deal."

I'm not so sure about that "home area" situation anymore. My Verizon phone has roamed before, especially when I'm underground in a subway or something like that. I'm not off of Verizon's coverage map, but my phone was still able to roam with a very weak 3G signal from another carrier (not sure which one).

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
IF your phone has a Vzw SIM in and a Vzw tower can "see" your device, I would imagine roaming would be out.

That said, roaming has become way more liberal in the last couple of years.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos