950 XL Dual SIM variant US availability

Doug Swallow

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
Any thoughts on US availability of the Dual SIM variant of the 950 XL (and 950)?

The 950 XL Dual SIM web page from Microsoft is a Middle East/Africa source: Microsoft Lumia 950 XL Dual SIM Specifications - Microsoft - Middle East and Africa

No sign of it on the US version, and no mention in the Microsoft Store, just the single SIM versions.

I do wish Microsoft would just sell the things unlocked in their stores, all models, and be done with it. I'm tired of carrier deals and variants not being easy if even possible to locate a source one can buy them from. It shouldn't be this difficult to buy a product. I'm tired of bands being locked out for some reason or another, even when the phone is capable of it. I'm tired of little carrier logos popping up everywhere and being on my device. I'm tired of not even being able to identify specific variants by the exact model number and knowing 100% for certain what each has that others may not. Fortunately the radios seem to be standardizing on wider support rather than so many unique individual models with different subsets of bands so it's less and less an issue, but is it really so hard to make the information easily available?

CaptainLumia

Aug 12, 2014
Visit site
This is a huge concern for me as well. I bought an international version of the 640 XL LTE Dual SIM in the US. Of course the screen was defective and you know it: MS won't honor the warranty. I won't make that mistake again. Let's pray to the phone Gods we get a dual sim version in the US.

anguilla1980

May 1, 2008
Visit site
Best we can do is as we did with the 640 dual sim, simply buy the variant (asian, euro, etc) that has the bands we want for where we travel.

pankaj981

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
Best we can do is as we did with the 640 dual sim, simply buy the variant (asian, euro, etc) that has the bands we want for where we travel.

First look for the Canadian/Latin American variants since they have the closest US carrier matching bands.

CaptainLumia

Aug 12, 2014
Visit site
That's great, hopefully will be the same for the 950 XL, but I was referring to the 640 (non-XL) in my post which is what I own so I can only speak towards that model.

I gotcha! How about they ONLY make dual sim lte models of the 950 and 950 xl? Instead of having 8 flavors, this isn't an ice cream shop for crying out loud!

Daniel Ratcliffe

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
I'm desperate for a dual sim UK variant of the Lumia 950. Would be great for travelling as I'm planning to start going to gaming conventions abroad. Being able to whack a local sim in would be a godsend. Though dependent on the country I'm in I might be able to blag it on Three at Home (thus removing most of the need for a local sim except for calling numbers in that country)

Doug Swallow

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
One interesting spec difference is max LTE speed.

For the Single SIM 950 XL (Microsoft Lumia 950 XL Specifications - Microsoft - Global), it shows:
  • LTE max data speed DL: 300 Mbps (Cat 6)
  • LTE max data speed UL: 50 Mbps (Cat 6)

And for the Dual SIM 950 XL (https://forums.windowscentral.com/e...l-dual-sim%2Fspecifications%2F&token=NgDb4lkq) it shows:
  • LTE max data speed DL: 150 Mbps (Cat 4)
  • LTE max data speed UL: 50 Mbps (Cat 4)

I don't know whether to attribute it to something real that may be a side effect of working with dual SIMs and the radios, or if it's just carelessness when creating the specs. :)

CaptainLumia

Aug 12, 2014
Visit site
One interesting spec difference is max LTE speed.

For the Single SIM 950 XL (Microsoft Lumia 950 XL Specifications - Microsoft - Global), it shows:
  • LTE max data speed DL: 300 Mbps (Cat 6)
  • LTE max data speed UL: 50 Mbps (Cat 6)

And for the Dual SIM 950 XL (Microsoft Lumia 950 XL Dual SIM Specifications - Microsoft - Global) it shows:
  • LTE max data speed DL: 150 Mbps (Cat 4)
  • LTE max data speed UL: 50 Mbps (Cat 4)

I don't know whether to attribute it to something real that may be a side effect of working with dual SIMs and the radios, or if it's just carelessness when creating the specs. :)

Carelessness?!?! Never! That would be a first for MS, right? I'm glad to see it on the US site though. I will only buy direct from MS (store or online) after my disaster with my 640 XL warranty.

MikeSo

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
When I went to the Microsoft Store today, the only display model they had was the Dual SIM version. I'd say that's a good sign at least.

bobsjets

May 28, 2014
Visit site
I would like to point out that the demo 950XL that I looked at in the Microsoft store at Westfield Topanga was a dual sim model. I did preorder😁 one today.....

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shelton786