10-13-2015 03:46 PM
69 123
tools
    Ahah okay more paid-for doom and gloom.
    Nail head.....meet hammer!

Apple trying to discredit Microsoft. Its funny that there were no news stories about all the new awesome Microsoft offerings. Again, apple pays all these people and organizations to hype their products.

MS is the best out right now. hands down.
    10-08-2015 05:32 AM
    As to the "app gap" once project Astoria gets up and running, you WILL see that close greatly. Think about it, I think win10 is on over 100 million devices right now? Think about the profits for the ease of tossing your app into "the project", easily developing your app for w10 and putting it in the store. Its a no brainer. Then your app is available for computers, tablets, phones all in one simple step.

Lets say you have an app for 99 cents, 1 million of those users download that app, that's a million dollars in the business that was not there before. More if you develop a free app and advertising on it. before there were not enough users of the windows store to make it worthwhile to develop a completely different app for the windows systems. Now, its MUCH easier, and you are going to an extremely larger user base. Windows/Microsoft nailed it this time!

I will say the MS store will grow tremendously in 2016. You will see most of the apps you use come to windows because there is just such a large user base in all form factors.
    10-08-2015 05:42 AM
    Think about it, I think win10 is on over 100 million devices right now? Think about the profits for the ease of tossing your app into "the project", easily developing your app for w10 and putting it in the store. Its a no brainer. Then your app is available for computers, tablets, phones all in one simple step.
    Those 100 Million you're speaking of are desktop users, how many of those are actually using Windows apps from the store? You're assuming all of them do, but you really shouldn't be looking at it that way.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    10-08-2015 07:16 AM
    Here is link to the article, apparently the author of the article is talking about carrier support

Hands On With the Lumia 950, 950 XL: Beautiful But Doomed | News & Opinion | PCMag.com

and it's not even clear yet really if it's exclusive to AT&T , seeing all sorts of reports online. People will blog all sorts of crap.
    Krystianpants likes this.
    10-08-2015 08:07 AM
    I think the point of using them as a PC in developing market will be key.
    10-08-2015 09:07 AM
    I think the point of using them as a PC in developing market will be key.
    You can get a decent PC and a decent phone combined which costs the same as the 950. If you think Continuum would drive the sales of these devices in developing markets then your analysis may be slightly off. Continuum may be great for enterprises but not the biggest selling factor in developing markets.
    920Walker and Laura Knotek like this.
    10-08-2015 09:34 AM
    If anyone actually read the article, the author said it was DOOMED BECAUSE OF THE AT&T EXCLUSIVE. Which in fact it is not.
    10-08-2015 09:46 AM
    They are beautiful.

They could be doomed too because of what Panos Panay and the Surface team will likely do next, which is to push x86 phones that can really push the Continuum experience to its logical end, a x86 phone that can run universal apps in phone mode, but with the display dock, a full on W10 desktop experience with legacy support.
    It won't really need the x86 if enough universal apps are created. But, MS will only release phones on a yearly basis so don't expect a new one till next year this time.
    Jazmac likes this.
    10-08-2015 09:47 AM
    Those 100 Million you're speaking of are desktop users, how many of those are actually using Windows apps from the store? You're assuming all of them do, but you really shouldn't be looking at it that way.
    Actually their stats show lots of people are using the store. They want to get rid of W32 apps. This is why the developer tools offer conversion tools as well. In fact, anyone who has a w32 app is better off posting it on the store. This provides more exposure than someone searching on the web.
    Jazmac likes this.
    10-08-2015 09:48 AM
    Jeff Bezos? Amazon does a lotta things right but smartphones is not one of them. Have we forgotten what a disaster the Fire phone was?
    I picked one up for 100$ as a backup to my Windows phone. Not a bad phone at all but the marketing was terrible.
    Laura Knotek and 920Walker like this.
    10-08-2015 10:11 AM
    I picked one up for 100$ as a backup to my Windows phone. Not a bad phone at all but the marketing was terrible.
    I picked up a new one with Prime for $125. I flipped it and cleared about $83 in the sale, which means I got a year of Prime for $42. Plus, I had the chance to play with the phone. I was very impressed with the build quality, and after installing the Play Store and Google Launcher it was basically a normal Android phone.
    Laura Knotek and 920Walker like this.
    10-08-2015 10:28 AM
    Isn't the philosophy now that "it's just another Windows 10 device and happens to be a phone".
    10-08-2015 04:03 PM
    Actually their stats show lots of people are using the store. They want to get rid of W32 apps. This is why the developer tools offer conversion tools as well. In fact, anyone who has a w32 app is better off posting it on the store. This provides more exposure than someone searching on the web.
    Just imagine if the store worked reliably too, lol. I've had power shell reset mine more than once. I hope this early mess doesn't turn people off because it's a great distribution platform. I'm fed up with ad-ridden download sites and sneaky installers.
    10-08-2015 04:08 PM
    Right, cause a few articles spouting doom-and-gloom solidify Microsoft's fate. Right, because the word of one man talks for one of the largest corporations on the planet.
    10-08-2015 05:29 PM
    Just imagine if the store worked reliably too, lol. I've had power shell reset mine more than once. I hope this early mess doesn't turn people off because it's a great distribution platform. I'm fed up with ad-ridden download sites and sneaky installers.
    Oddly enough since I got the newest insider build I have had no issues. I had much more issues on the RTM build. I did do a clean install though.
    10-08-2015 05:48 PM
    PC magazine is already out with a hands-on calling both phone doomed . He said while sipping on o rum & coke a rep told him that phones are basically designed for enterprise customers so apparently MS does not care about consumers .

That tells me MS does not have clear vision not that it had any vision before .
    First the company took a write off of $7 billion and CEO said they will not promote the phone .
    Later in an interview he clarified and said company will have 3 phones , one low budget, one high end , and one for enterprise . Apparently he did not know what he was talking about as high end and enterprise is the same phone .

I was hoping we get something so I could upgrade to but my 1520 is actually better

Too sad this company has never been able to find the right CEO with futuristic vision like Jeff Bezos
    I agree with everything you said! From 1520 to iPhone 6plus, I have been patiently waiting and waiting for an upgrade from my 1520 but I guess they want to go different direction.
    Bye for now WM10

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    10-09-2015 12:59 PM
    I agree with everything you said! From 1520 to iPhone 6plus, I have been patiently waiting and waiting for an upgrade from my 1520 but I guess they want to go different direction.
    Bye for now WM10

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    in what way is the 1520 better than the 950XL?
    10-12-2015 12:11 PM
    in what way is the 1520 better than the 950XL?
    All I know is the 950 series are the upgrade from the famous LUMIA 920!

And I'm hoping to see an
    upgrade from the 1520, maybe a 1530!

950 vs iphone6 vs Galaxy s

950xl vs iPhone 6plus vs android Samsung,lg,Sony

Galaxy note vs MSFT 1530 aka surface phone????

VAPE ON 🇵🇭
    10-12-2015 12:33 PM
    7 billion write off saved 3 billion dollars in taxes. Basically got a discount on the whole acquisition. Tech people have as much business talking about business as they do working in Victoria Secret. 5 years in Silicon Valley and Ive realized how nave the understanding of business 101 is.
    10-13-2015 03:46 PM
69 123