Fellow Australians after Lumia 950 XL, look at the price

mikelpikel

Jul 10, 2014
Visit site
Just browsed the internet for an Australian price for the Lumia 950 XL, not expecting to find an official price but I'm extremely annoyed about what I found...
Buy Microsoft Lumia 950 XL ? Unlocked - Microsoft Store - Free shipping. Free returns.

Who on earth decided it would be a good idea to price it at $1200??? The price is so ridiculous that I am wondering whether this is the official AU Microsoft website, can someone confirm?

Is this a deal breaker for you guys?

I have a lot of confidence in the price dropping like a rock in the next 3 months. I wonder why windows phones don't sell... Must be monkeys running the show. Excellent phone, though only when priced at $750 AUD

For reference; iPhone 6s, though no 32gb model to compare is priced from $1079-1229 depending on storage. If they had a 32gb model it would definitely sit below $1200. I have always hated Apple for overpricing their phones and, although the 950 XL is superior on paper (and most likely in reality), Microsoft really shouldnt be charging more than Apple. This is the official pricing of the iPhone I mentioned- Buy iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus - Apple (AU)

Furthermore, the incredible Galaxy Note 5 is priced 100$ cheaper for the same storage. It has the best Android camera and will likely compare to the 950 XL. Official pricing info for Note 5 is available here - Galaxy Note 5 ? specs, price & buy | Samsung Australia
I know all of these prices are straight from the company themselves and as a result will be more expensive than other places selling the same device but I can't imagine any other website selling the XL much cheaper at launch. I can only wait now for a large price drop.

Not sure what MS is doing here, I am extremely puzzled. What do you all think?

Last edited:

triageatdawn

May 31, 2015
Visit site
The prices are gonna be insane in Europe as well, they're like $760 and $840 at the MS Store UK. I'm gonna give it 2 months or so and see what happens. I really got my eyes on the 950, damn. :unhappysweat:
As for the camera on the 950 XL - its sensor size is slightly better
[Edit:] (1/2.4" vs 1/2.5" on the Lumia 1520), with the aperture of f/1.9 vs f/2.4 on the 1520.

Last edited:

jmajid

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site
The prices are gonna be insane in Europe as well, they're like $760 and $840 at the MS Store UK. I'm gonna give it 2 months or so and see what happens. I really got my eyes on the 950, damn. :unhappysweat:
As for the camera on the 950 XL - its sensor size is significantly better (1/1.9" vs 1/2.5" on the Lumia 1520).

i think you are a little confused with numbers...
the aperture is f/1.9
the sensor size is 1/2.4" (according to AllAboutWindowsPhone.com) but i do remember seeing it on the fact sheet but it seems to have been updated now...
Juha Alakarhu of Microsoft has said its a big sensor but didnt say its size (on twitter) but has said there will be articles etc. coming
see link
http://news.microsoft.com/download/presskits/lumia/docs/lumia950xlfs.docx

triageatdawn

May 31, 2015
Visit site
i think you are a little confused with numbers...
the aperture is f/1.9
the sensor size is 1/2.4" (according to AllAboutWindowsPhone.com) but i do remember seeing it on the fact sheet but it seems to have been updated now...
Juha Alakarhu of Microsoft has said its a big sensor but didnt say its size (on twitter) but has said there will be articles etc. coming
see link
http://news.microsoft.com/download/presskits/lumia/docs/lumia950xlfs.docx

Yeah I must've misread that somewhere. Sorry about that. I probably mixed some specs from GSMArena.com and Windows Central... Anyways its OIS module is updated and the aperture is different (correct me if I'm wrong). Gonna edit my post right quick, thanks for the heads up! :wink:

camptime

Feb 26, 2012
Visit site
Hard to believe the prices are on par with the an IPhone. When in the USA its about 150 less then an IPhone. crazy.

Citizen X

May 11, 2013
Visit site
Who on earth decided it would be a good idea to price it at $1200???

It's called having your economy based off of resources instead of advanced tech. With copper, iron ore, gold, etc at multi year lows what were you expecting? The AUS Dollar has gone from being worth more than the US dollar to now being worth only $0.72. Surely the price of Windows Phones aren't the only thing that has increased in cost down there.

Doug Swallow

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
At the current exchange rate, AU$1199.00 including GST (@10%) would be US$785.90 without GST. The 950XL in the US is priced at US$649.00. Is there anything like an import tariff to account for some or all of the roughly 17.5% premium?

mikelpikel

Jul 10, 2014
Visit site
It's called having your economy based off of resources instead of advanced tech. With copper, iron ore, gold, etc at multi year lows what were you expecting? The AUS Dollar has gone from being worth more than the US dollar to now being worth only $0.72. Surely the price of Windows Phones aren't the only thing that has increased in cost down there.

That is understandable but the exchange rate would place it at just over $900. Perhaps a premium on top of that might make sense but after a while it becomes too much. Phone manufacturers will often ignore the exchange rate TO SOME EXTENT when pricing in different regions and it occasionally happens in Australia. It would make sense to price the phone at about $850 AUD (though that is still quite a bit), pricing it 'cheaper' than the US at that price to attract some high end buyers. The price is not cheap but not too bad when compared to competitors at $850 AUD. Regardless of the sluggish economy, it cannot justifiably be priced more than Apple and Samsung, they already charge too much because of their logo. Microsoft does not have that luxury in Australia yet (the amount of comments I get on my 1520- " Why on Earth would you get a Windows Phone?", "Is that an iPhone 6 Plus?", "Do you get 'x' feature" (often I have such a feature, but since its WP people think that the phone is way behind)). Im no expert however but logically, I do not understand.

mikelpikel

Jul 10, 2014
Visit site
At the current exchange rate, AU$1199.00 including GST (@10%) would be US$785.90 without GST. The 950XL in the US is priced at US$649.00. Is there anything like an import tariff to account for some or all of the roughly 17.5% premium?

Haha, there would be other Duties and things that would bump the price up, but not by that much. Other phone manufacturers seem to be able to deal with as their cheap prices reflect. Doubt there is a tariff which would add that much of a premium but could be wrong, just based on assumptions- I have no evidence to back that up of course. Though wouldn't be surprised with all of the different taxes we pay on goods (Luxury Car Tax...). Either way, I look forward to the inevitable price drop. Would be EXTREMELY surprised if they sell over here, though I doubt MS would care given that we have a pretty small market. I am no Apple ****** (I despise them) but for reference, the Macbook Air starts at just $50 more... I know it comparing is apples (pun not intended, until I read this back and realised what I was saying) and oranges but think of everything that goes into making it compared to a phone... I even reckon that Macs are overpriced but now I have to look at what Microsoft is doing and cringe

Last edited:

Grodelj

Apr 2, 2013
Visit site
You have to be aware that prices in US are always excluding tax and prices in EU are always including VAT. I don't know how it is in Australia.

mikelpikel

Jul 10, 2014
Visit site
You have to be aware that prices in US are always excluding tax and prices in EU are always including VAT. I don't know how it is in Australia.

Prices always include GST in Australia, I doubt the Phone will come anywhere near 1200 still with the tax added on. It is a good point though. It still remains a mystery. I wonder if they will reduce the Australian price closer to launch, thats happened with quite a few things. I can't be too hopeful though because it would annoy everyone who has already ordered it and cause an uproar. I want to think its a mistake :(

dibsbibs

Jun 13, 2014
Visit site
I always like my phones unlocked but if I choose to get a standard or XL 950, I may be forced to get one through Telstra if they even stock it. Agree with most comments that Windows Phone struggles enough as it is and although they're superior phones to the 6S series, they shouldn't be priced more than Apple. When the 930 was released, it was cheaper than most flagships providing an incentive for buyers to consider Windows Phone. Looks like that same theory hasn't followed the 950 series...

sd4f

Feb 8, 2013
Visit site
The XL is bumped up, but nowhere nearly as badly as the regular 950.

$US550 translates to $AU785 + 10% GST = $AUS865 at an exchange rate of $US0.70 buys $AU1.00. Retail price for the 950 is advertised at $1100, so $235 bump, or 27%.

Citizen X

May 11, 2013
Visit site
For reference; iPhone 6s, though no 32gb model to compare is priced from $1079-1229 depending on storage. If they had a 32gb model it would definitely sit below $1200.

Yeah but how much is the iphone 6s Plus?

bcnlPC1.jpg

Waughy

Aug 24, 2014
Visit site
I always like my phones unlocked but if I choose to get a standard or XL 950, I may be forced to get one through Telstra if they even stock it....

If they stock them I would imagine they will be unlocked, as are most, if not all phones on plans with them. Being on a contract, they get their money from you anyway. If they get hem, hopefully their plans are decent. Looking at a 64Gb iPhone 6S+ on the L plan, it's $125, I'm thinking the 950XL on a similar plan would be somewhere around the $100-110 mark.

I'll wait for JB, Harvey etc to get them in and see what they sell them for, before haggling. I'm keen on a white 950XL, to go with my Xbox One and Surface 3, as well as wanting to give iPhones a break. Nothing exciting anymore.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb