11-23-2015 01:15 PM
331 ... 89101112 ...
tools
    I just hope that AT&T will carry the 950XL...I will NOT pay the current asking price @$690....from a Microsoft store...
    You realize you're paying that price regardless of where you get it right? NEXT or two year contract just spread the payment out, just like you would with a credit card. Heck do PayPal credit, no interest for 6 months if you want.
    TheBadGuy_88 and Martin Zone like this.
    10-13-2015 08:01 PM
    Yeah, my ICON gets hot if I put it through some heavy use. If the new phones just get warm, I can handle that, as long as they don't get to the temperatures my ICON gets to.
    I had a 930 for a few months and it got pretty warm with good use too, but still I wouldn't say it was ever too hot. It was never uncomfortable to hold due to heat. If the 950XL gets about half as warm it'll be sweet.
    10-13-2015 09:32 PM
    I went to the Microsoft Store 2 times. When I got home the first time, I kept kicking myself for not preordering one. I am really impressed that the 950XL is so light,and I love that it looks like the complete front is glass (because of the very small black metal trim around the outside. I found everything about it extremely snappy, I did get it to run warm when I was running the maps program, but from my experience, every smartphone I have used gets hot when running mapping software. Every other time, it seemed to be fairly cool. Coming from my 920 and 640 recently (that I have been using to get used to a larger screen) the 950XL does not look that big because it is thin and the bezels are relatively small. There definitely are still some bugs in the software they are running, but a lot better than at he version of 10 I have on my 640. I have never spent a lot on a smartphone, but this phone is so nice, that I preordered one today. I figure I have a month or more to get my wife used to me spending so much. I am hoping they announce some kind of bundle or promotion before they arrive, but even without it, I am sold. The phone pretty much has everything I was hoping to get in a phone... Windows 10, big screen, light, expandable memory, removable battery, great camera, wireless charging, swappable rear cover, and everything else. It is so nice to see a Windows phone that matches or beats all of the other flagship devices in specs and features... having a fancy metal or glass case is not important to me, especially when you see that most IPhones and Androids have covers on them that hide their looks anyway.
    Likwidz, narv and MikeSo like this.
    10-14-2015 12:37 AM
    So for whoever this applies to, I took my Nokia CR-200 QI car mount into the store and the 950XL fit just perfectly including button spacing. The clamp touches right between the volume down and the camera button, so as long as the case isn't too thick those of you that have one will be fine. However, I couldn't test wireless charging pad placement. I assume it'll charge just fine, but we'll find out.
    narv, NoviMajster, Likwidz and 2 others like this.
    10-14-2015 01:06 AM
    I played with it for about 30 minutes and it definitely warmed up within the first 5-10 minutes for me.
    how much heat did it have?
    I hope not so hot like L920 or like that
    10-14-2015 02:38 AM
    Does anyone want to complain about the bezel?
    Thallanor likes this.
    10-14-2015 04:46 AM
    The bezel on the 950 Xl is really nothing to complain about. The top is the only part that is a little big. The sides and bottom are SLIMMER than on my 1520!
    10-14-2015 06:42 AM
    So for whoever this applies to, I took my Nokia CR-200 QI car mount into the store and the 950XL fit just perfectly including button spacing. The clamp touches right between the volume down and the camera button, so as long as the case isn't too thick those of you that have one will be fine. However, I couldn't test wireless charging pad placement. I assume it'll charge just fine, but we'll find out.
    I asked the lady if I could use the same wireless charger I already had and she said yes. But would need a new special charger to get the quick charge.

it's NOTHING compared to the 920. It was warm, you could feel a temp change but it was not super warm or hot at all.
    wasim sallam and Hoekie like this.
    10-14-2015 08:03 AM
    The bezel on the 950 Xl is really nothing to complain about. The top is the only part that is a little big. The sides and bottom are SLIMMER than on my 1520!
    Exactly! I'm still laughing about and slightly irritated with all the people who moaned about the bezel in the renders. Idiots. Just rubbing it in.
    libra89, NoviMajster and Hoekie like this.
    10-14-2015 08:18 AM
    Well, of COURSE THAT one was fast. As I've pointed out numerous times Windows Phone 7 and 8 were exceptionally fast and didn't NEED latest specs to run smoothly. W10M is a dog, absolutely requiring hefty specs just to run acceptably.
    10-14-2015 09:04 AM
    Well, of COURSE THAT one was fast. As I've pointed out numerous times Windows Phone 7 and 8 were exceptionally fast and didn't NEED latest specs to run smoothly. W10M is a dog, absolutely requiring hefty specs just to run acceptably.
    if thats the case i dont think ms would even plan to update the older windows phone 8 devices except the lumia 1520.. :3 .. but they said they would try to update as many lumia devices as possible... Lets see even the 435 gets the update :D . so i guess it should work well with old devices nah?
    10-14-2015 10:30 AM
    This is true.

However, let's not allow our memory of those phones to become too rosy. Windows Phone 7 was fast - it also wouldn't allow you to run hardly anything in the background except music.

When you pressed the lock button to turn off the display, your GPS stopped working, as did the networking. You couldn't use Nokia Drive in the background at all, so for example it was not possible to have the navigation on when driving and you wanted to have the music player up.

You couldn't use an app like Runkeeper (which I think is gone now, probably because it sucked in WP7), because it stopped working as soon as you put your phone in your pocket.

Etc etc etc etc... so many things were so much less useful in Windows Phone 7, and in WP8 it started to slow down, because much more could be done (and people complained about that!). But yes, WP looked great and it was fast. Personally, I trade a little slowness for a lot more functionality. I think part of what killed WP was Microsoft's insistence on performance over features. I can't think of any tech in history that has won on performance over features/ease of use.

I hope that W10M is optimized to run faster, but comparing it to WP7 is not very useful.
    Last edited by MikeSo; 10-14-2015 at 12:46 PM.
    narv, Thallanor and libra89 like this.
    10-14-2015 12:15 PM
    This is true.

However, let's not allow our memory of those phones to become too rosy. Windows Phone 7 was fast - it also wouldn't allow you to run hardly anything in the background except music.

When you pressed the lock button to turn off the display, your GPS stopped working, as did the networking. You couldn't use Nokia Drive in the background at all, so for example it was not possible to have the navigation on when driving and you wanted to have the music player up.

You couldn't use an app like Runkeeper (which I think is gone now, probably because it sucked in WP7), because it stopped working as soon as you put your phone in your pocket.

Etc etc etc etc... so many things were so much less useful in Windows Phone 7, and in WP8 it started to slow down, because much more could be done (and people complained about that!). But yes, WP looked great and it was fast. Personally, I trade a little slowness for a lot more functionality.

I hope that W10M is optimized to run faster, but comparing it to WP7 is not very useful.
    I agree. I think it's a catch 22 to have the insider program because people are helping via input, suggestions, etc. But they are also seeing the bugs and such that normally happen in the build cycle for an OS and think MS is so far behind when.. I mean they are.. but they aren't.. remember too that build 10546 is running on these phones, which is farther ahead of what we have in the insider program, and has been out since at least the 6th. But if it was there on the 6th, that means that when it was tested and pushed through, the programmers didn't just stop and wait, they kept working. So they are much farther along that what we will even get this week (hopefully) from the build.

That being said yes everything is super snappy on the 950 XL but we don't know if that's the hardware or the software for sure because that isn't being tested on the older devices yet. It could really be a super improved build *shrug*.

now a lot of problems we are having with WM10 are slowness, resuming, etc. BUT it's also *BUGS* that are known and not that the systems can't handle them. my 920 isn't really slow per say. It just sometimes gets into bugs and stutters. but that's the OS.. I don't think the hardware of the older phones will not be able to handle WM10.

And like MikeSo said, remember that for a long time, WP8 would turn your wifi off when the scree was off and reconnect it when you unlocked your phone. There were a lot of issues like that. So to say that the old OS was so speedy, well it did about 1/3 of the current features of WM10 (yes that's a bit of an exaggeration) so there is bound to be some issues. And chances are with this being an insider preview build there is probably more DEBUG statements and sending data to MS that slows it down a bit. If they are trying to get telemetry from all the devices to be able to see all types of use vs specs vs whatever they have to be sending some data back not just anecdotal evidence from what users perceive.
    MikeSo likes this.
    10-14-2015 12:33 PM
    I'm not paying $550-$650 for a phone. Maybe I'm just old, but that $hit is effing insanity to me. I'm really hoping that AT&T will have some kind of deal like they did with the 920, which was $99 with a 2 year contract at launch.
    10-14-2015 01:07 PM
    I'm not paying $550-$650 for a phone. Maybe I'm just old, but that $hit is effing insanity to me. I'm really hoping that AT&T will have some kind of deal like they did with the 920, which was $99 with a 2 year contract at launch.
    And how much did you pay for that phone over those two years? About $500+, right?
    libra89 and ericloewe like this.
    10-14-2015 01:12 PM
    And how much did you pay for that phone over those two years? About $500+, right?
    lets see if my math is good, if not feel free to correct me. its 40.00 / mo. to have a phone on the standard contract. and 15.00/ mo. with a byod. so... on contract you do the 99-199 down and add 960 over the life of the contract. we will use the 99. so thats 1059 over the two years. with byod phone 659 plus 360 for the contract life ( i know, byod is not under contract, keeping things equal) your paying 1019 over the same time saving 40.00

so, its where you want to put the money, up front or spread out. but the benifits for owning the phone over being locked in a contract are high with me. i will buy the phone outright, especially with the crap at&t pulled with the 830
    10-14-2015 01:30 PM
    Wasnt as hot as that thankfully, my 920 can heat my house lol. Still was a bit warmer than i would like.
    wasim sallam and Hoekie like this.
    10-14-2015 01:32 PM
    Honestly, I have no idea. I do know that I would have more than likely been under contract regardless, and whether or not my payment would have been cheaper had I purchased the phone separately, I can't say. I've always been under the impression that the carriers are subsidizing the manufacturers to make the insanely expensive phones more affordable to the consumer.
    10-14-2015 01:43 PM
    So you can't customize the expanded menu? Again I never used WP10. If not then yeah that's pretty lame with that rogue icon sitting top left.
    I'm pretty certain that this is how it works on the desktop version of Windows 10 too.
    10-14-2015 01:46 PM
    These phones remind me of the 535... :( Looks cheap.

No Microsoft store where I am.. Hope it has a premium feel...
    With the back cover removed, there is not much left apart from the display, so it should be easy to upgrade the look and feel with a new cover. :)
    10-14-2015 01:49 PM
    But holy crap, the 950xl that i did play with was seriously struggling. Just scrolling trough the home screen that thing was totally jumpy, lagging ,like really bad. I then went to nhl.com to watch a highlights video for about 2 minutes. The back and the screen of the phone got totally hot. When i tried to quit full screen mode the phone was not responding. I closed the screen of and regained control with that. I then tried to open onedrive and got a white frozen screen. Talk about a way to present a new product...
    W10M is still pre-release but even so, based on my experience and what others have expressed here, it sounds like there might be something weird going on with that demo unit. A couple people have pointed out some odd issues, but nothing quite that bizarre. I agree, not a great way to present, but probably not the norm.
    10-14-2015 01:51 PM
    I would imagine they didn't include both because it would unnecessarily bloat the retail cost, and likely also the size, of the device. I mean, really; you're still unlocking your service in a moment without entering a pin or password or something else that people could see, enabling them to bypass your security without your permission. Can we not complain about waiting an extra fraction of a second to check your freaking Facebook notifications?
    Also, given moves like adding the start buttons, etc. to the screen, it's clear they're trying to minimize physical clutter to the bare minimum, so I don't see that happening. That being said, a couple phones have put the fingerprint scanner on the back, but still... I think they're really going for the cleaner look.
    10-14-2015 01:53 PM
    with you. I'd stick with my L1520 too. Except I got mine the moment the 1520.3 was found---and the in call mic broke. Also Cortana doesn't seem to want to work in any other language/region except USA even though it's an unlocked/unbranded phone. They're easy fixes probably (at least the former is) but I think I'm going to upgrade rather than fix it (and then maybe use it as a spare)
    What OS are you using on your 1520? I find it frustrating that in WP8.1, I can use Cortana in Canada, but not in W10M. (Or W10 on the desktop for that matter.) That shouldn't be an issue with the hardware model though, simply the OS settings.
    10-14-2015 01:54 PM
    But, the demo units at this store were kinda awful. Running the same W10 version others have mentioned, but very buggy and the photos, IMHO, were not that good. Viewed on the screen at normal size, color is very good, but zooming in it had TONS of artifacts. I'm really hoping it's just a pre-production software or firmware issue. I have a 930 and a 1020, and I think both of those perform better for detail than the 950 did, though the 950 was better for color.
    Zooming in on what had artifacts? Just curious!
    10-14-2015 01:56 PM
    Yes and no. I agree and more companies should see the benefit of such apps, but most of those same companies also have websites and not see the app store as beneficial to their strategies. For example, I think Siriusxm needs an app. None for phone. And a win10 would be great. But they also stream from the web so might not care enough to put resources towards it. Though I still think it's stupid they don't have one.
    I used a third-party SiriusXM app a couple years ago. I'm not sure if it still exists or not - I've not used it in awhile - but it at least used to exist. :)

I do agree with your general comments on apps though. :)
    10-14-2015 01:57 PM
331 ... 89101112 ...