11-23-2015 12:15 PM
331 1234 ...
tools
    Not quite as instantaneous as I would like, but I can imagine it being much faster on a Surface Phone if it's already this fast on a crappy Qualcomm.
    10-08-2015 01:17 AM
    Not quite as instantaneous as I would like, but I can imagine it being much faster on a Surface Phone if it's already this fast on a crappy Qualcomm.
    Show me iris scan on a Qualcomm.
    10-08-2015 01:41 AM
    Don't forget he had sunglasses on too, im sure that slows down the process as well. Think about it.
    rxc13 likes this.
    10-08-2015 04:56 AM
    Don't forget he had sunglasses on too, im sure that slows down the process as well. Think about it.
    So I don't really speak French, but did he said it did or didn't work with sunglasses? He does hold it in front of him instead of just glancing down. I don't really want to unlock my phone if I just happen to glance at it "accidentally".. but I under If the screen is off it's not looking (or even on the glance screen).

It might be slower than iPhone though in at, you can pick the iPhone up off the table and while you bring it to reading view, your finger is unlocking it. So when it gets to view it's open. Here you have to bring it to view, look at it, and then it unlocks. So even if the "unlock" is faster, the actually unlock it might take longer. I don't see why they couldn't have done both since W10 supports both... And then give the user the option of using Windows Hello Iris scanner or finger print, both, neither. password, no password. etc.

Also, does anyone know how well this works in the dark? So if I'm in bed at night and want to browse my phone a bit, do I need to turn a light on to unlock with hello (I understand I can just put the PIN in...) or because it's IR it works in the dark? I don't really know much about these things.
    illidanx and Tien-Lin Chang like this.
    10-08-2015 06:43 AM
    Did either of you ask about working on Verizon. If it does and I don't think it does in it's present state; I'll buy one on preorder day.
    10-08-2015 07:10 AM
    So no Lumia 950 devices in any of the Microsoft stores?
    And did everyone who saw a 950XL see the Dual SIM variant?
    Very interesting that they have dual sim showing in the US.... if they offer it for sale i would buy the dual sim.

And yes, need more qs from people who go to the stores asking whether TMO (im pretty sure this is an easy question looking at the specs sheet) and Verizon (not so sure about anything other than a couple LTE bands) are supported and if so which bands...
    10-08-2015 07:39 AM
    So no Lumia 950 devices in any of the Microsoft stores?
    And did everyone who saw a 950XL see the Dual SIM variant?
    Very interesting that they have dual sim showing in the US.... if they offer it for sale i would buy the dual sim.

And yes, need more qs from people who go to the stores asking whether TMO (im pretty sure this is an easy question looking at the specs sheet) and Verizon (not so sure about anything other than a couple LTE bands) are supported and if so which bands...
    I have heard someone on this site say that they asked about them at the Microsoft Store and was told that they haven't come in yet, so maybe soon.
    rxc13 likes this.
    10-08-2015 08:27 AM
    So I don't really speak French, but did he said it did or didn't work with sunglasses?

Le monsieur says it works with sunglasses, magnifique non?
    Jazmac, TechFreak1, ectobs and 4 others like this.
    10-08-2015 08:36 AM
    Did either of you ask about working on Verizon. If it does and I don't think it does in it's present state; I'll buy one on preorder day.
    Someone on a Reddit thread said that he inserted an active Verizon SIM card and it didn't work. But it was expected it wouldn't work. It doesn't have Verizon's CDMA radios.

It could theoretically work using LTE, but that would exclude voice and SMS. I know that people have gotten data on the Nexus 5 to work on Verizon using only LTE, but that requires some tweaking. I don't know if that tweaking would be possible on the 950/XL.
    aximtreo likes this.
    10-08-2015 09:41 AM
    Le monsieur says it works with sunglasses, magnifique non?
    Oui! I like the concept, still wish it had fingerprint but we'll see.. (ha.. see what I did there? and see what I did there? ok im done...)

So far everything seems to be coming along now that I've seen the device. I'm excited but I know they have a lot more to do!
    10-08-2015 10:38 AM
    I say its pretty well instantaneous without sunglasses.
    Hoekie likes this.
    10-08-2015 11:37 AM
    I would have posted a pic but my 920 since the latest update has a 2 hour battery life, and it was at like 10% battery and probably would have died by the time I took it out and opened the camera up (it's also an inferno).

in WM10 it shows all possible actions from an "expand" menu. But you can customize the 5 quick actions. I'm referring to when you expand the action icons, not the 5 quick actions.
    So you can't customize the expanded menu? Again I never used WP10. If not then yeah that's pretty lame with that rogue icon sitting top left.
    10-08-2015 12:22 PM
    Went today. 950xl only I the US. Supposedly 950 I Canada only.

All US phones according to rep will be dual SIM but icon will not be present once 1 sin is in.

Phone felt very lite and kinda cheapish on back in my opinion with sharp corners where back meets front. Custom backs will help.

Placed a pre order, no real date given other than November.

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android
    Attached Thumbnails 848.jpg   849.jpg   850.jpg   852.jpg   853.jpg  

854.jpg   851.jpg  
    10-08-2015 12:50 PM
    Very interesting design with that camera overhang. I kind of like that. Saves space.
    Thallanor likes this.
    10-08-2015 01:03 PM
    I think it's only in Beta anyway which means the process could improve in speed.

Sent from my D6616 using Tapatalk
    Marcin Dabrowsky, rxc13 and Hoekie like this.
    10-08-2015 01:06 PM
    I'm so pumped. My Saturday was wide open and now I have filled it with this great outing to the Microsoft kiosk in my area. I just called them today after the Windows Central article this morning about the stores having live demo units of the new products in the stores. The lady didn't mention them having the Lumia 950 so I'll be playing with the 950XL and Surface Book. I don't think they have the Surface Pro 4 just yet. I really hope T-Mobile gets the Lumia 950 although I like the camera hump of the 950XL better. I vowed not to buy another unlocked phone but if I do it will be for one I am sure to keep for two years or more. Not quite there yet but we'll see.

Sent from my D6616 using Tapatalk
    rxc13 likes this.
    10-08-2015 01:13 PM
    Will somebody put a Microsoft store on wheels and send it here, I wanna play too!
    10-08-2015 01:15 PM
    Very interesting design with that camera overhang. I kind of like that. Saves space.
    Yes I thought it may make the battery difficult to remove but everything seems tight and easy to remove.

One thing that popped out at me is how cheap and rather difficult to remove the back was. Super easy to put back on though.

I imagine myself getting several different backs to go with whatever mood I'm in on a given day.

Well done msft. Build cheap to price right and provide customizable options with accessories is a win win.

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android
    Thallanor likes this.
    10-08-2015 01:16 PM
    The Iris Scan looks promising. It's funny (and perhaps indicative of bias?) to see some of the commentary in the tech press about the Iris Scan, basically speculating that it won't work or that you'll have to somehow boggle your eyes or place the phone right up to your eye socket. . . . And when the speculation is corrected, they suggest that if it takes more than a blink it will be an affront and entirely unworkable. It seems to me that the Iris Scan is potentially less cumbersome than a finger print scan. Is it as secure? Can you simply turn it off? I like Windows Hello a lot, but I've survived without it so far. I think the resistance to the idea of an Iris Scan is sometimes part of the overall bias against MS. You have people actually arguing that having to look at the screen is somehow awkward or burdensome, when it is instead the very thing you would and will be doing anyway when you pick up your handheld.
    editguy, rxc13 and to_be_announced like this.
    10-08-2015 01:39 PM
    Will somebody put a Microsoft store on wheels and send it here, I wanna play too!
    Right!! I'd have to drive about 2 hours away to a Microsoft store...laaaaaame!
    10-08-2015 01:59 PM
    One thing that popped out at me is how cheap and rather difficult to remove the back was. Super easy to put back on though.
    The sales rep showed me how to take the back off using the USB charger slot and applying pressure there. Seems pretty easy to get off and put back on.

So you can't customize the expanded menu? Again I never used WP10. If not then yeah that's pretty lame with that rogue icon sitting top left.

No you can't customize it. If you look close at the demo that WinCentral posted on the 6th of the 950 XL when they pulled the action bar down it's the same.. that one stray icon in the top left corner.
    10-08-2015 02:24 PM
    The Iris Scan looks promising. It's funny (and perhaps indicative of bias?) to see some of the commentary in the tech press about the Iris Scan, basically speculating that it won't work or that you'll have to somehow boggle your eyes or place the phone right up to your eye socket. . . . And when the speculation is corrected, they suggest that if it takes more than a blink it will be an affront and entirely unworkable. It seems to me that the Iris Scan is potentially less cumbersome than a finger print scan. Is it as secure? Can you simply turn it off? I like Windows Hello a lot, but I've survived without it so far. I think the resistance to the idea of an Iris Scan is sometimes part of the overall bias against MS. You have people actually arguing that having to look at the screen is somehow awkward or burdensome, when it is instead the very thing you would and will be doing anyway when you pick up your handheld.
    Well no matter what MS does it will be bad... I think they should have both options to be honest. finger print and iris scanner. since Windows Hello supports finger print scanners. But I know they want to move towards iris scanning as a whole. And if they offered FP scanning then people would use it instead of the iris scanning and there would be no "progress". but I think MS in their effort to push boundaries don't always realize that people aren't always ready for that.. and since apple isn't doing it..can't be good! (that's sarcasm for those who couldn't tell..)
    10-08-2015 02:28 PM
    Well no matter what MS does it will be bad...
    Loving the positivity
    narv likes this.
    10-08-2015 02:43 PM
    Loving the positivity
    hah! I was talking more from a "how the tech media will view it" from the post I was replying to.. I am a HUGE MS fan ;) haha
    editguy and Hoekie like this.
    10-08-2015 02:52 PM
    I went and checked it out today at the Microsoft Store. Incredibly nice device. Even though it's 0.7" bigger screen than my Icon, it didn't feel much bigger. It's thinner than the Icon and maybe because it's bigger but not heavier it feels easier in the hand. I have small hands but had no issue operating it one-handed. Display looked fantastic, as did the fit and finish of the device in general.

It was smooth as butter and fast, opened the few apps I tried (Office, browser, settings, camera) instantly. Not sure if the x546 build of W10M is responsible for some of that or if it's all on the hardware, but it was plenty fast.

I pre-ordered a white one. Not sure if I'll actually buy it - the viability of the ecosystem and lack of apps is still an issue. But I probably will, and figured I'd add a pre-order so MS can at least gauge interest. :)
    10-08-2015 03:36 PM
331 1234 ...