11-23-2015 12:15 PM
331 ... 56789 ...
tools
    So I played with a 950XL today and as someone who loved Windows Phone 7 and 8 and owned several Windows Phones before switching to Android for the past few years, what the HELL happened to Windows Phone?!?!? Apart from the home screen, Windows 10 on the 950XL looks nothing like Windows Phone 7 and 8. It looks like crap!
    I am using Windows 10 in Insider preview on my Lumia 920 and, despite the fact that the OS and the interface needs to be polished, I generally prefer the Windows 10 interface. For me it feels much more modern, even if yes it's probably a bit more complicated. Of course I would change some things in some apps, I made a few Insider comments about it, but globally I like it.
    But coming from Win 8.1 the learning curve was really quick, I find what I want very quickly. And as I said, for me it also looks more modern and I prefer it aesthetically.
    10-11-2015 05:47 AM
    Hi
    Since all have checked the camera, the frames which are to 1080p are only limited to 60fps, what about 720p? Are the fps the same as 60 or 120 is included?
    10-11-2015 06:33 AM
    Mozo have confirmed on Instagram that their replacement backplanes or the Lumina 950 and 950 XL do support wireless charging. Pre-orders start next week.
    10-11-2015 06:48 AM
    The 950XL was very nice. I could not get the iris scanner to work properly. I tried a few times. The unit felt warm and the Microsoft representative said it was on the charger all day. The camera was very snappy. I did notice some glitches with the OS and it did crash once. There are still bugs to iron out. I was told only the unlocked version will be dual SIM. The model on display was for AT&T. The 950 will not be available initially but after the XL arrives. I was surprised to hear that. I hope that's not the case.

-Rich
    10-11-2015 06:53 AM
    The 950XL was very nice. I could not get the iris scanner to work properly. I tried a few times. The unit felt warm and the Microsoft representative said it was on the charger all day. The camera was very snappy. I did notice some glitches with the OS and it did crash once. There are still bugs to iron out. I was told only the unlocked version will be dual SIM. The model on display was for AT&T. The 950 will not be available initially but after the XL arrives. I was surprised to hear that. I hope that's not the case.

-Rich
    If you buy from MS store, it would be the unlock and dual SIM version
    10-11-2015 08:37 AM
    I got to play with a Lumia 950XL yesterday, and for the most part loved it. The only thing that concerned me was that it seemed to lack the double-tap-to-wake feature. Am I just crazy or is this really the case?!?
    10-11-2015 08:45 AM
    I'm almost positive it is suppose to wake with double tap, mayebe check settings to see if it was disabled??
    10-11-2015 08:57 AM
    The demo unit I tried didn't wake up with double tap either. What did you think of the side buttons?
    10-11-2015 08:59 AM
    i'm sad, carrier don't believe in the products, no canadian carrier will have those phone and only AT&T in US... that don't give a lot of chance to Windows 10 Mobile...
    10-11-2015 09:51 AM
    Also went into the MS store to look at the 950XL. I'm looking to upgrade a 1020, so figured the 950 (either the XL or the non) would fit the bill, even with the lesser camera. Came away a bit concerned.

Windows 10 is still a bit of a mess. The UI is inconsistent (I knew this going in), but I thought that on the demos they'd be showing in the store, the OS would at least more free of bugs. The 950XL failed to open the camera app multiple times, some buttons in the apps didn't register, the start screen was sometimes more sluggish than I'd expected... there are just some decent sized bugs left with only a month to fix them.

The bigger problem was that the phone was uncomfortably warm. With nothing running. I made sure that there were no apps running in the background, so there wasn't anything eating the CPU/GPU. The unit hadn't been on a charger in a couple of hours, at minimum (I asked). Let it "cool down" for about 5 minutes and the thing went right back to running pretty hot as soon as I picked it up again. Probably now going to wait a while and see how the 2-3 month reviews go. Not confident at all to get one myself.

The good part- the camera is shockingly good. Doesn't have the ability to zoom in that the 1020 does, but the imaging algorithm is excellent and the OIS seems fantastic.
    10-11-2015 09:51 AM
    I went back to the MS Store to try and preorder and I couldn't. Really busy day for them and I didn't have a ton of time to wait. I did get a chance to play with the 950 XL again, but unlike the first time I did things were different. It was running warmer than it was the previous day. could have been because the person before me was playing with the camera quite a bit, but I'm not sure it was really long enough for it to have been as warm as it was. Navigating also seemed a bit more stuttery than compared to my first hands on. And there was a bit of creaking on the bottom left hand corner (the side where the fingernail latch is).
    10-11-2015 10:44 AM
    I just pre ordered a 950 XL in black for $0 at the Microsoft store at Yorkdale Mall in Toronto... Will get a call when it's available.... The rep said should be coming out before the holidays.... Toooo long lol.... Said that all the Canadian models will be dual sim... Let's see if that's true
    RJ Priest and Thallanor like this.
    10-11-2015 11:21 AM
    i'm sad, carrier don't believe in the products, no canadian carrier will have those phone and only AT&T in US... that don't give a lot of chance to Windows 10 Mobile...
    I know its been said before but...

It's not a problem if carriers don't sell a phone as long as you can buy it from the manufacturer or other retailers. In fact its dumb to WANT to get a phone from a carrier. It's like buying your car from a gas station.
    10-11-2015 01:17 PM
    in my opinion, it's a better thing to by the phone with a carrier at 200$ or less with a 2 year contract then at full price a 849 CAD...

it's not avery body which have this much money available for a phone...
    10-11-2015 02:03 PM
    Spent some time at my local Microsoft store the other day and I was seriously impressed with the 950 and especially the 950 XL. I've never been a big fan of phablets, always thought they looked a little stupid, but I fell in love with that glorious display.

The phone was definitely light, which while it doesn't feel "premium" it's better than being a brick, IMO. They both ran amazingly smooth, even with lots of apps in the background (the task switcher on the XL looks SO amazing), and I was blown away with how fast the camera launched, whether the phone was locked or in an app. My 925 takes up to 10 seconds, the 950XL was picture ready in about a second.

Tried taking the back off and found it to be pretty easy, but when it was on it felt secure and I didn't feel anything moving or flexing (unlike my 925's polycarbonate back, which isn't even removable but still flexes in one corner). Also thought it was neat that the buttons were on the removable case, I figured you had to get the back off around them, but they just make contact with plates on the phone itself, so third party backs will have their own buttons (could be good, could be bad).

Unfortunately I just got my 925 about 8 months ago, so I've got a ways to go before I can justify buying a new phone, so I'll be sticking out till either the rumored Intel phone or more likely the 960 series. But if I had the disposable income I'd definitely pick up a 950XL, I think it's a pretty solid flagship.
    10-11-2015 02:46 PM
    Could somebody check, what WP10 build they were running? 10240 or 10536?
    10-11-2015 03:24 PM
    Could somebody check, what WP10 build they were running? 10240 or 10536?

From what we have heard it was 10546.
    10-11-2015 03:38 PM
    Dan showed one in his hands on video, and Neowin also showed one in their coverage. From what I remember, the xl an regular were on different builds.
    10-11-2015 03:41 PM
    I also saw the 950XL at my local MSFT store! I was surprised that even with a 5.7 in screen it was only about 1/2 in taller than my Lumia Icon and only a couple MM wider! I was going to get the 950 with the 5.2 in screen ( if it ever comes to VZW), but now that I've seen how close the 950L is to my Icon, I'm probably going to opt for that! Again, if it ever comes to VZW!
    10-11-2015 04:04 PM
    That's great news Jazmac!

Windows Mobile has been gaining weight for sometime now.
    Finally a Microsoft phone that doesn't resume (hopefully)
    It's about time the hardware started catching up.
    I completely agree! I am so looking forward to getting this phone!
    sleeve22 likes this.
    10-11-2015 06:32 PM
    Went to our local store and checked the 950xl and came away impressed. For its size it's light and comfortable to hold. Camera app is snappy and man taking pic is really fast. Faster than my wife's iphone. Too bad our store don't have the 950 to compare tho.

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android
    10-11-2015 11:31 PM
    Went to the Microsoft Store in Chandler, AZ. They only had the 950 XL. The phone was felt significantly lighter than my Lumia 1020. OS was very quick and responsive, however, I was able to get it to crash by attaching too many photos (5) onto an email and attempting to send, after that the Outlook app would not work tried to reboot the phone and it wouldn't even boot without connecting it back to the charger then holding the power button. After that though I took a few pictures of the store with the 950 XL and my 1020 trying to capture similar shots, the camera was fantastic! It processed the photos quickly and focused right away. Didn't play around too much longer after that there were several people coming in to check it out but very excited for it after having it hands on! Here's a photos of the front/back and comparison of 1020 vs the 950 XL!

950 XL

950 XL

950 XL
    10-12-2015 12:36 AM
    I went to check them our in Calgary. Both nice phones. I preordered the xl, but the 950 is big enough for peeps that don't want the xl. Build is good and the phone is quite skinny. I can already know that tons of people will ask what phone am I rocking?
    Thallanor likes this.
    10-12-2015 12:38 AM
    Went to the Microsoft Store in Chandler, AZ. They only had the 950 XL. The phone was felt significantly lighter than my Lumia 1020. OS was very quick and responsive, however, I was able to get it to crash by attaching too many photos (5) onto an email and attempting to send, after that the Outlook app would not work tried to reboot the phone and it wouldn't even boot without connecting it back to the charger then holding the power button. After that though I took a few pictures of the store with the 950 XL and my 1020 trying to capture similar shots, the camera was fantastic! It processed the photos quickly and focused right away. Didn't play around too much longer after that there were several people coming in to check it out but very excited for it after having it hands on! Here's a photos of the front/back and comparison of 1020 vs the 950 XL!
    Is there something wrong with your 1020? Cause damn the 950XL is so much clearer. It's almost as if you have a film over your 1020 or something.
    10-12-2015 02:17 AM
    My 1020 has a slightly soft lens too, all the 1020's I have owed do. That 950 camera looks the part, big time. Finally time to upgrade.
    10-12-2015 04:09 AM
331 ... 56789 ...