Hands-on Experiences with the 950XL

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
Re: My Experience with the 950 XL

The real rub is how well will it work. TouchID on iPhone works most of the time, except those times when you only give it a partial print and then you have to re-orient your thumb/forefinger and try again. If this iris scanner works perfectly just by looking at the phone(which you do anyways when you use TouchID), then that's a game changer for Microsoft.

Agreed. If it is quick enough, as in the demonstrations, its like your phone is never locked. You just pick it up and put your fingers on an app because it would already be unlocked. Yes, a game changer.

CygnusOrion

Oct 6, 2015
Visit site

Agreed. If it is quick enough, as in the demonstrations, its like your phone is never locked. You just pick it up and put your fingers on an app because it would already be unlocked. Yes, a game changer.

Apparently it takes 3-4 seconds for iris scanner to unlock the phone and you have to hold the phone up to your face. You can't just look at the phone from any angle. Bummer.

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site

Apparently it takes 3-4 seconds for iris scanner to unlock the phone and you have to hold the phone up to your face. You can't just look at the phone from any angle. Bummer.
That's not true. The guy at the store had the phone open in a second. Not as quick to reach right at the keys as I would like but what I saw was at least as fast as the iphone 6 finger scan. I'm thinking with a more finished product, it'll probably be instantaneous.

Iris scan is at about the 1:08 mark.

[video=youtube;yTh_MG__RT8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=87&v=yTh_MG__RT8[/video]

Last edited:

CygnusOrion

Oct 6, 2015
Visit site

Not quite as instantaneous as I would like, but I can imagine it being much faster on a Surface Phone if it's already this fast on a crappy Qualcomm.

Steve Adams

Banned
Nov 29, 2013
Visit site

Don't forget he had sunglasses on too, im sure that slows down the process as well. Think about it.

narv

Nov 24, 2012
Visit site

Don't forget he had sunglasses on too, im sure that slows down the process as well. Think about it.

So I don't really speak French, but did he said it did or didn't work with sunglasses? He does hold it in front of him instead of just glancing down. I don't really want to unlock my phone if I just happen to glance at it "accidentally".. but I under If the screen is off it's not looking (or even on the glance screen).

It might be slower than iPhone though in at, you can pick the iPhone up off the table and while you bring it to reading view, your finger is unlocking it. So when it gets to view it's open. Here you have to bring it to view, look at it, and then it unlocks. So even if the "unlock" is faster, the actually unlock it might take longer. I don't see why they couldn't have done both since W10 supports both... And then give the user the option of using Windows Hello Iris scanner or finger print, both, neither. password, no password. etc.

Also, does anyone know how well this works in the dark? So if I'm in bed at night and want to browse my phone a bit, do I need to turn a light on to unlock with hello (I understand I can just put the PIN in...) or because it's IR it works in the dark? I don't really know much about these things.

aximtreo

Jul 14, 2008
Visit site

Did either of you ask about working on Verizon. If it does and I don't think it does in it's present state; I'll buy one on preorder day.

jmajid

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site

So no Lumia 950 devices in any of the Microsoft stores?
And did everyone who saw a 950XL see the Dual SIM variant?
Very interesting that they have dual sim showing in the US.... if they offer it for sale i would buy the dual sim.

And yes, need more qs from people who go to the stores asking whether TMO (im pretty sure this is an easy question looking at the specs sheet) and Verizon (not so sure about anything other than a couple LTE bands) are supported and if so which bands...

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site

So no Lumia 950 devices in any of the Microsoft stores?
And did everyone who saw a 950XL see the Dual SIM variant?
Very interesting that they have dual sim showing in the US.... if they offer it for sale i would buy the dual sim.

And yes, need more qs from people who go to the stores asking whether TMO (im pretty sure this is an easy question looking at the specs sheet) and Verizon (not so sure about anything other than a couple LTE bands) are supported and if so which bands...

I have heard someone on this site say that they asked about them at the Microsoft Store and was told that they haven't come in yet, so maybe soon.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site

Did either of you ask about working on Verizon. If it does and I don't think it does in it's present state; I'll buy one on preorder day.

Someone on a Reddit thread said that he inserted an active Verizon SIM card and it didn't work. But it was expected it wouldn't work. It doesn't have Verizon's CDMA radios.

It could theoretically work using LTE, but that would exclude voice and SMS. I know that people have gotten data on the Nexus 5 to work on Verizon using only LTE, but that requires some tweaking. I don't know if that tweaking would be possible on the 950/XL.

narv

Nov 24, 2012
Visit site

Le monsieur says it works with sunglasses, magnifique non?

Oui! I like the concept, still wish it had fingerprint but we'll see.. (ha.. see what I did there? and see what I did there? ok im done...)

So far everything seems to be coming along now that I've seen the device. I'm excited but I know they have a lot more to do!

o4komodo

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site

I would have posted a pic but my 920 since the latest update has a 2 hour battery life, and it was at like 10% battery and probably would have died by the time I took it out and opened the camera up (it's also an inferno).

in WM10 it shows all possible actions from an "expand" menu. But you can customize the 5 quick actions. I'm referring to when you expand the action icons, not the 5 quick actions.

So you can't customize the expanded menu? Again I never used WP10. If not then yeah that's pretty lame with that rogue icon sitting top left.

Marcin Dabrowsky

Jan 19, 2015
Visit site

Went today. 950xl only I the US. Supposedly 950 I Canada only.

All US phones according to rep will be dual SIM but icon will not be present once 1 sin is in.

Phone felt very lite and kinda cheapish on back in my opinion with sharp corners where back meets front. Custom backs will help.

Placed a pre order, no real date given other than November.

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android

Attachments

• 848.jpg
    848.jpg
    27 KB · Views: 37
  • 849.jpg
    849.jpg
    16.3 KB · Views: 36
  • 850.jpg
    850.jpg
    22.7 KB · Views: 40
  • 852.jpg
    852.jpg
    11 KB · Views: 34
  • 853.jpg
    853.jpg
    22.1 KB · Views: 37
  • 854.jpg
    854.jpg
    24.3 KB · Views: 38
  • 851.jpg
    851.jpg
    20.6 KB · Views: 34

RaRa85

Nov 2, 2011
Visit site

Not quite as instantaneous as I would like, but I can imagine it being much faster on a Surface Phone if it's already this fast on a crappy Qualcomm.
I think it's only in Beta anyway which means the process could improve in speed.

Sent from my D6616 using Tapatalk

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss